• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2010 Reader Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Alien1375 wrote:
I’m buying 3 big figurines a year that are aprox. $100,- each. If I translate that into months that would be $ 300,- / 12 = $ 25,- a month. Which would imply that I’m buying a small 25 buck figurine once a month. In that case I’m giving the wrong impression to ANN.

Volume hardly matters, what matters is the amount of money you're pouring in.

Mune wrote:
Yet, previous years, I have spent more... And one poor buying year does not mean I have lost interest or lack funds to buy anime, it just was a slow year for me. Plus, the lack of time to actually view what I buy.

Then add everything you can count up to the farthest year your memory can reach, divide it by the number of years and then by 12.

You guys are such perfectionists. Laughing
Even though I don't measure how much I spend (which is mostly with fast food), I just gave a rough amount usually of what I spend daily multiplied by 30.
Clothes? Hardly buy them as I'm either at home or work. So I I spent around$250 in the past 6 months... and I put$50 monthly, I think.

Talking about conversions, I'm going at at £1 = $1.5 basis. Which is also inaccurate.

Is it bad for the survey if its participants start rounding the numbers? Hardly. They're not building a nuclear bomb after all.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Is it bad for the survey if its participants start rounding the numbers? Hardly. They're not building a nuclear bomb after all.

Or...maybe they are......DUN DUN DUNnnnnnnnnnn

What can I say? Nerds love complaining about numbers.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The last question was a little tricky, because the answer was "maybe". I mean, if freely given the option, I very much prefer downloading fansubs of most shows to streaming. It's just much more convenient for me, since I can watch it in media player, rather than in a little window in my browser. That said, I do watch several shows in streaming format, both because I want to support the official source, and because there are some shows that I do not feel are worth downloading (as the quality of presentation is not up to that level).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
As with several others that commented, my purchases variy greatly from month to month. The amounts I listed are from November. At this point, with the exception of figures, my purchases are limited by what came out in the month, not by cost. I would buy more anime and manga if more of what I'm interested in was available. With figures, when they passed the $100 each point, I cut back a great deal. I'm much more selective now.

I consider streaming to be "try before you buy" for anything that will be issued on disc. I watch a whole series on streaming only if it is unlikely to be issued on DVD or Blu-ray. Don't do fan subs at all.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I just averaged the prices out, so a lot of the categories were things like "$2" or "$1", which obviously won't buy you a lot of anything, but if you consider only 1-2 titles per year, that'd be about what it ends up being. Wink
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
The trick to buying is figuring where and when to buy. Great deals are around all the time. I bought DVDs as low as $3 each on a good day. $35 on a not-so-good day.

It's the holiday season now, so plenty of deals will be around until about New Years Day. That means that DVD sales for anime should be going up from previous months. That means the money spent normally on anime in a month may stay the same or increase, but the quantity will be more, hopefully making sales better than the rest of the year for all of the anime companies.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I consider streaming to be "try before you buy" for anything that will be issued on disc. I watch a whole series on streaming only if it is unlikely to be issued on DVD or Blu-ray. Don't do fan subs at all.

So if an anime is not steamed you don't even concider buying it?
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
^^ i often base my buying habits on reviews, not on pre-watching. i've bought dozens of series, for example, but i've only pre-watched a first episode twice (Mushi-shi and Ghost Hound, both on Hulu if i remember right -- i think i tried both over a year ago).

watching a show before i buy just doesn't enter into it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I utilize legal streaming where available, but I don't prefer streaming as a medium per se (would much prefer to have a permanent copy on disk, and not have the hassle of flash players and network issues etc.)

I ticked iPhone, but what I actually have is an iPod.

I fudged the spending figures - not only was I guestimating, I've not been spending money on anime (or really anything non-essential) for months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 said
Quote:

I probably could have worded that better. It is just the other way around. Much of what I buy as based on what ever information is available when it comes out. Frequently what I remember from the initial reviews here or often just on the blurb on the RACS website. I used to use magazines for this but they are mostly gone.

For shows that are streaming, I check them out if the set-up looks interesting. If it is announced that it will come out on DVD, I quit watching the stream as soon as I determine that it's good enough to continue watching. I then buy it when it comes out. The only time I will watch an entire show streaming is if it is obvious it won't come out here, Skip Beat for instance.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:

How can one even consider buying an untested series without a little peek? If your gonna put down the investment, you do need to be somewhat reassured that it's not gonna be a bust.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:

How can one even consider buying an untested series without a little peek? If your gonna put down the investment, you do need to be somewhat reassured that it's not gonna be a bust.

One could say "That's what reviews/trailers/OPs/promotional material/online rankings/friend opinions" are for.

I've bought a number of shows blindly. Usually, I can tell with 86% accuracy if a show is the sort of show I'll like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4