• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece at Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
me wrote:

The only working solution they've come up with, has been the unedited later releases. IMHO those were a good idea, and they've said they were happy with sales (but Vidscan numbers aren't very impressive).

Hopefully One Piece will get the same treatment.

Yashouzoid wrote:
Aren't you on the ANN staff? Shouldn't you be up to date with this stuff? Because Viz just confirmed that this wouldn't be happening.

Yeah, In fact I wrote that. I called Viz and asked them about it.

That doesn'tmean it will never happen. When viz says they won't be doing it, it essentially means there are no plans to do it right now. Viz may get the go-ahead at a later time, or 4Kids may chose another distributor for the unedited releases...

Also keep in mind, 4Kids has said that all the shows would be re-released uncut.

I'm unfortunately very skeptical. But hopefully I'll be wrong, and One Piece will come out unedited.

-t
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
That doesn'tmean it will never happen. When viz says they won't be doing it, it essentially means there are no plans to do it right now. Viz may get the go-ahead at a later time, or 4Kids may chose another distributor for the unedited releases...

-t

I know. I'm not ready to give up hope just yet, and I don't really want other people to either. I think if we all get to writing some good, thought out letters to Viz, they might try and convince 4Kids to let them release uncut One Piece in the near future.

This is the letter I wrote:

Quote:
Dear Viz Media,

It's recently been announced that you will be releasing One Piece on DVD. Great to hear, because I'm really a huge fan of One Piece and I would enjoy owning it on DVD. However, there's just one problem with this.

It's recently been announced that your DVD release will not be uncut, and I'm extremely disappointed to hear that. The dub has had many changes made to it that make it hard to really enjoy the show even for what it is, and as far as I know, I'm very lenient with how anime dubs have turned out in the past. When people have complained about your own dubs, Naruto and Zatch Bell, I've defended them and continued watching them despite their faults (on the subject of Naruto, however, I think the dub is perfect. Keep up the good work!)

I know that there are many fans out there who would and likely have expressed the same disappointment that I do in this letter. The TV dub is too flawed to make us happy to see it on DVD, and we would really like an uncut version produced soon, preferably with a dub from your own studios, as 4Kids' own uncut work hasn't proved very, well... good.

Also another complaint about the DVDs. For 20 dollars, you only get 3 edited episodes? I don't think many people are going to want those DVDs, however, make it uncut, up the episodes to 4, and even the price by 5 dollars, and I'm sure many customers would be satisfied by this.

Please release uncut One Piece!

Sincerely,
Bryn Tanner
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Guess what - Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs are selling like shit now. The edited ones, that is. Uncuts?

They're both selling like shit Sad

I've seen the Vidscan numbers for them. I'm actually trying to get more information about the sales for an article comparing Yu-Gi-Oh! uncut and cut sales since it's brought up so often.

-t
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
but Yugioh and Shaman King (which still, to this date, has no edited release) were out uncut at the same time as their respective TV versions were on the well.. TV.

Don't forget, though, that Yu-Gi-Oh DVDs were only released a long time after those first episodes had aired. 4Kids had played Yu-Gi-Oh to death and the series had still progressed past the very long Battle City Arc and moved on to the Doma Arc. Plus, 4Kids had already made as much money as it thought it could make on the DVDs and box sets of Yu-Gi-Oh seasons 1 and 2. They were looking for more revenue, and that is why they probably finally released Yu-Gi-Oh uncut, to draw in the niche fans of the original Japanese version who had held off buying the heavily edited DVDs. Also, this would likely be considered a new release by most stores (probably thinking it was a new Yu-Gi-Oh series a la Transformers) and therefore, it wouldn't confuse buyers and merchants as much.

My assumed reasons all fit in with the logic of 4Kids, even though I still think it's flawed logic for reasons already listed above. Of course, these are just my theories, and I'm no business expert.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Then release them in Naruto-style sets.

Best suggestion I've heard to date. It would be good for 4Kids and good for the enthusiasts.

-t
hikaru393

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
i do and the one piece dvd's i get have good subs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
One question: When Naruto uncut comes out, will it have an uncut English dub with it?
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
They're both selling like shit Sad

I've seen the Vidscan numbers for them. I'm actually trying to get more information about the sales for an article comparing Yu-Gi-Oh! uncut and cut sales since it's brought up so often.

-t

Oh, really? I've only been able to use Amazon.com as comparison for the two, so unfortunately I haven't had much to work with.

Also, don't want to sound like I'm trying to defend the uncut release because I'm purist/enthusiast/whatever, but keep in mind that the uncut DVDs haven't been released since February.

Quote:
One question: When Naruto uncut comes out, will it have an uncut English dub with it?

Probably. The edited dub is so near-uncut that it wouldn't be hard at all syncing up the two tracks.

Last edited by Yashouzoid on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

Yep

Quote:
i do and the one piece dvd's i get have good subs.

What world do you live in?

Anyway, just a general question, who'd be interested in doing a letter-writing campaign? I really do want to get One Piece, sooner than later, and this is probably the last thing we can do for it. I figure if it's advertised somewhat heavily in as many places as possible, then it wouldn't hurt, right? Last time I recall, everyone simply assumed One Piece would come out uncut, as it was Shonen Jump, and because 4Kids were (back then, atleast, we assumed) commited to releasing uncut things.

It honestly wouldn't suprise me if 4Kids/Toei don't actually think One Piece has any uncut fans, and so if there is a letter writing campaign, I think it'd certianly get things moving along.

Thoughts?
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Thoughts?

*points to earlier post*

Naturally I think it's a great idea ^_^

I've been asking people at the forums I visit to start writing, hoping something gets accomplished. At this point, I really think the only way we can convince Viz to persuade 4Kids to get uncut DVDs out is if we type away.

Would a site be set up for it?
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is such an utterly and completely lost-cause in this country, it really makes me cry.

And it also actually makes me appreciate *to death* the DBZ situation when I take a step back and look at the company FUNimation has become from 1995-2005. I'll take mid/late-90's FUNimation (and Gen's wacky comments) over this nonsense any day of the week.
DMu7434680

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Nobody really wants the edited for TV version DVD. The DVD might not sell very well if it is the edited version the Uncut has a lot more to offer even if you get the Import type DVD (most likely to have some sort of english subtitles at least) even if it has the japanese language. A Uncut domestic DVD is more wanted and most likely to have a lot more sales than a edited version would I think. Dragon Ball Uncut is a example I know people and myself include went and bought all the Uncut format Dragon Ball they had and will have in the future. They should realease the Uncut version if they want sells or people mightl get the imported version that they have Uncut. I think I would wait for a uncut version or not get it at all. That is my opinion Twisted Evil
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
One Piece is such an utterly and completely lost-cause in this country, it really makes me cry.

There are still a lot of people who want it and care about a US release, and until all those people are gone there's still some reason for trying to get an uncut version.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I am consistently shocked by the fact that despite this is probably the biggest outrage to happen to any anime series in about ten years, nobody is putting any real effort into getting the message through to 4Kids. The people were organized and rallying against the Tenjho Tenge issue in less than a week, and even the Fullmetal Alchemist dub is getting more organized flak than One Piece is.

The injustice of it all.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Thoughts?

*points to earlier post*

Naturally I think it's a great idea Anime smile

I've been asking people at the forums I visit to start writing, hoping something gets accomplished. At this point, I really think the only way we can convince Viz to persuade 4Kids to get uncut DVDs out is if we type away.

Would a site be set up for it?

It'd have to be, in order to co-ordinate it.

What would be required for a letter writing campaign of this, or any other calibur I guess, is the following-

A website, identifying EXACTLY what we would like, and suggestions (just asking for it uncut won't do, we need to be specific) as to what would help it appeal to others who are undecided. Letter templates for those lacking articulation. Registration of all people sending letters in, and a list of their names and locations around the world (just country/state, maybe some other general, anonymous details). Then, a date in which all of the letters should be sent (each person intending to purchase it should only send ONE letter for each copy they intend to purchase, otherwise you're giving false impressions), and a trademark or brand to identify the letters (preferably a Skull and Crossbones, as that makes sense, it also means they can just do a "headcount", so to speak). Then, a formal, official letter to them, maybe in advance, stating the cause and reason for the campaign, including a list of the people who've agreed to give details, and summing up politely what we want.

And then, if that doesnt work, we just keep doing it. again, and again, until they get so annoyed they just HAVE to do it Smile

Give me a PM and we will work something out, since I think this'd atleast kill some time, Yashouzoid (and anyone else that's interested) Smile

(edit: ooops)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8