• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ouran High School Host Club Gets Live-Action Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Hachiko

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
For you guys wanting to know the rest of the cast.... I'm just going to add this since I saw this on the source site. On the bottom of that picture on the site, they had the pictures of the other guys in the cast, and someone wrote down who's playing who.

For Kyouya, it's played by Daito Shunsuke(大東俊介). He was in Hana Kimi with Yamamoto Yusuke, playing Sano Shin, and Nobuta wo Produce.

For Hikaru and Kaoru, it's played by Takagi Shinpei(高木心平) and Manpei(高木万平). They're pretty much known for being on Mei-chan no Shitsuji and Ninkyo Helper with Yamamoto Yusuke.

For Hunny, it's played by Chiba Yuudai(千葉雄大). He's from Tensou Sentai Goseiger, playing Gosei Red.

For Mori, it's Nakamura Masaya(中村昌也). He's not really as known as the guys above in dramas, but he is pretty tall being 190 cm / 6'3, plus, his bandmate was Shirota Yuu(who was Kagurazaka from Hana Kimi!).

For Nekozawa [NEKOZAWA'S GOING TO BE THERE?! :O], it's Ryuusei Ryo(竜星涼). He's not as well-known either, but he's the youngest out of all of them. He was in a drama called 'Hammer Session' with Zettai Kareshi's Mokomichi Hayami (Night Tenjo).
-----------
poonk wrote:
H0shi wrote:

If Tegoshi will do Honey-sempai...thinking of this makes me suffer nosebleed Laughing

Actually, that's not a bad pick. Speaking of Tegoshi...

It would be possible, however, after Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge, I think Tegoshi wanted a more serious role since he's already in his mid-20's. That's why he played such a serious detective in Deka Wanko.
-----

Though, I would want to see guys from Johnny's in this show, I think the ones who would fit it are either the guys from Kiss-my-ft2 or Hey!Say!JUMP, since majority of the good actors from Johnny's are taking roles as college students or working adults...But unfortunately, some of them already signed onto a remake of the Korean drama, 'You're Beautiful'...

...And also, there's a possibility some of them might do the Hana Kimi remake. >.>
keyinjpop

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Damn, guess ON/OFF won't do the theme song. By the way, what's the URL for the drama's website.

Last edited by keyinjpop on Thu May 19, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
SerenaHavoc1013

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
It'll be hard not to be biased when watching the live action adaptation when I love the anime so much. However, I'm willing to give it a shot. "Hana Kimi" had a great live action drama, so I'll be putting this one up to the same standards.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Miss Hachiko wrote:
Though, I would want to see guys from Johnny's in this show, I think the ones who would fit it are either the guys from Kiss-my-ft2 or Hey!Say!JUMP, since majority of the good actors from Johnny's are taking roles as college students or working adults...
You're probably right on that. Most of my favorite Johnny's actors are probably tired of taking on high school roles-- heck, in the Yamato Nadeshiko... drama they even changed it to college-age.

Quote:
But unfortunately, some of them already signed onto a remake of the Korean drama, 'You're Beautiful'...
Totally off-topic but WHAT?! Really? I hadn't heard this. I tried watching YB twice the year it came out and though everyone else seemed to love it, I just couldn't get into it (in fact I found Jang Geun Seok as Tae Kyung to be a total turn-off). After seeing him in Marry Me Mary! this past winter, though, I revisited YB and ended up really enjoying it-- though the newfound appreciation of JGS probably didn't hurt (*gazes lovingly at her avatar*). I'd be really interested to know the Japanese cast for this remake (oh, here they are-- Yep, you called it, Kis-My-Ft2 and Hey!Say!JUMP members).

Quote:
...And also, there's a possibility some of them might do the Hana Kimi remake. >.>
You think? I'm totally speculating here but that, to me, seems like more of a vehicle for the AKB48 girl. I'm not sure they'll be looking for any really big names in the male cast for fear that they'd eclipse her, frankly.

Last edited by poonk on Fri May 20, 2011 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Miss Hachiko

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
keyinjpop wrote:
By the way, what's the URL for the drama's website.

I don't think they have the website up yet. I checked the Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS) website, so it's not yet there.

poonk wrote:
You think? I'm totally speculating here but that, to me, seems like more of a vehicle for the AKB48 girl. I'm not sure they'll be looking for any really big names in the male cast for fear that they'd eclipse her, frankly.

Gah. That's what sucks about it. Though, most of the actors from Hana Kimi did become famous later...Especially Shun and Toma. <3

Besides, Horikita Maki wasn't really overshadowed by Toma or Shun, she's already a good actress on her own... Though people are thinking the AKB48 girl won't do as good as Maki.

I think they might get some guys who recently debuted to be on the show. I'm thinking Yamada Ryousuke from Hey!Say!JUMP would get a role on the show, since he did a starring role in Hidarime Tantei Eye.

Plus I heard from Tokyohive, that various celebrities are going to appear on YB playing themselves...So...There's an idea for cameos. Very Happy
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I have no opinion of the other actors now except for Honey.

OH MY GOD CHIBA YUUDAI IS SO CUTE!!!

And I am totally not a Hunny fan. But that guy... I can help but fangirl over him. I'm hoping these guys can pull off all the character's personalities well. Haruhi I think will have the easiest time, but if any of the guys aren't anywhere near as overblown as we're used to I'll be disappointed.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Miss Hachiko wrote:
poonk wrote:
Gah. That's what sucks about it. Though, most of the actors from Hana Kimi did become famous later...Especially Shun and Toma. <3
I sorta assumed Shun was pretty well-known, having already starred in a number of fan favorites (see: Gokusen, Stand Up!!, & Hana Yori Dango, etc.). Toma, though-- I felt he was indeed the big break-out star from that show (man, I wanted her to end up with Nakatsu even though I knew it wasn't going to happen!) with Mizushima Hiro (Nanba-sempai) in a close second. Really, I thought it was such a strong cast all-around that trying to even match it, let alone improve upon it, would be pretty difficult.

Quote:
Besides, Horikita Maki wasn't really overshadowed by Toma or Shun, she's already a good actress on her own... Though people are thinking the AKB48 girl won't do as good as Maki.
I agree (Did you see her in the Ooku movie? I thought she was pretty good for the relatively short amount of screentime she got as O-Nobu), but then I don't think Hana-Kimi was a mere vehicle for Maki but instead more of an ensemble piece (especially considering I often found the secondary storylines more interesting than the main romance). Maki had already held some pretty major roles in Nobuta wo Produce and Kurosagi before this. The new girl? Well-- everyone's gotta start somewhere, but I don't have to watch it.

Quote:
Plus I heard from Tokyohive, that various celebrities are going to appear on YB playing themselves...So...There's an idea for cameos. Very Happy
Oh, please let A.N.JELL (or whatever they'll be calling it in the remake) appear on SMAPxSMAP within the show! It would be awesome-- SMAP could appear on YB and the YB cast could in turn visit the Bistro.

I just realized that Ouran will be the 6th Asian drama of which I'm aware in the last 5 years with a cross-dressing female lead, preceded by Hana-Kimi, its Korean & Taiwanese versions (which I've not seen), Coffee Prince and the aforementioned You're Beautiful (both Korean). Interesting how popular that theme is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Whoo finally a live action! But...idk this drama could go two ways o.o

I like j-dramas, and high school centered plots. Only thing i kinda just don't like a bout j-dramas, is that the casts tend to look too old to be playing their part (mainly for HS dramas). Like we see people near their 30s playing a 15 year old. And it's obvious that they're not a day under 24. Some HS dramas have actors casted that are suitable for such roles though.
Miss Hachiko

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Shun's way too popular these days. I loved him in Stand Up!!, especially since he played a soccer player who only loved soccer. xD Though, the only role I hated him in was in Smile, since he plays a bad guy who betrayed Matsumoto Jun(aka Domoyoji. xD) and almost made him get executed. :O And it's strange, since in real life, they're, like, best friends. xD

As for Maki...I just loved her overall. Her acting is so fun to watch, depending on the series. I found her super adorable when she interacted with Ninomiya during Ooku! (Especially that scene where her shoe broke. xD) Though, I think my most favorite role to see her in is Atshinchi no Danshi. I dunno. I think it's because she's working with Yamamoto Yusuke and Kaname Jun there. xD

It's a possibility that the cast from that show might appear in SMAPxSMAP. I think it's higher possibility when it comes to Bistro Smap, but I'm not sure if it's the other way around...Though, I'm hoping that they might appear in VS Arashi. xD
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I just realized that Ouran will be the 6th Asian drama of which I'm aware in the last 5 years with a cross-dressing female lead, preceded by Hana-Kimi, its Korean & Taiwanese versions (which I've not seen), Coffee Prince and the aforementioned You're Beautiful (both Korean). Interesting how popular that theme is.

If you haven't seen it yet, the Korean drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal also had a female posing as a male. I've seen most of what you listed, and by far enjoyed Sungkyunkwan over them all, and I'm a huge HanaKimi fan.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
Miss Hachiko wrote:
Yeah, Shun's way too popular these days. I loved him in Stand Up!!, especially since he played a soccer player who only loved soccer. xD
That was also a surprisingly good show, wasn't it? I began watching it reluctantly, thinking it was probably a stupid so-called "sex comedy" about four horny teenage boys trying to lose their virginity; yet it really, really threw me for a loop and ended up being very good. I also felt that during the course of this drama I saw Ninomiya Kazunari as Shohei transform before my very eyes-- I started out seeing him as this gawky teenage boy and somehow, by the end of the series, he'd become an attractive young man. That's some pretty impressive acting. He's been one of my favorite actors ever since. Anime catgrin

littlegreenwolf wrote:
poonk wrote:
If you haven't seen it yet, the Korean drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal also had a female posing as a male. I've seen most of what you listed, and by far enjoyed Sungkyunkwan over them all, and I'm a huge HanaKimi fan.
Wow, so that will make 7 then! I do remember seeing Sunkyunkwan Scandal frequently mentioned back when it was airing, though I wasn't aware of the premise-- I'll check it out now as soon as I finish Secret Garden and/or Beethoven Virus (I like to think I'm relatively hardcore but even I can't juggle 3 K-dramas at once, not with the other stuff I'm watching. Shocked).
AimlessWander

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:28 am Reply with quote
I did NOT see this one coming. I would've greatly preferred a season 2, but a live-action would suffice....for now. And the cast looks.... ok.
The thing is I don't see this as being a success. I mean, most of the Host Club's antics and behaviors would just look plain awkward as live-action. Epic as anime, not so epic as live-action. *sigh* Guess we'll just have to wait and see won't we?

But I'm curious, does anyone think that this will increase the chances of a season 2? :S
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
"Ka-ga-mi"
Oh, Yūsuke.... this is going to be rather fun.
We'll see how things end up, but I can't say that I am not interested. And Yūsuke as Tamaki is rather fitting, given his performance from KR Kabuto. At the very least, it's going to be very, very funny.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
But I wanted a second season of the anime. Sad

Although I really don't know how possible that is now (I'm thinking very unlikely).
maaya

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I just realized that Ouran will be the 6th Asian drama of which I'm aware in the last 5 years with a cross-dressing female lead. Interesting how popular that theme is.

You know about the Takarazuka theater troupe? They're extremely popular and apparently have a great influence on the popular culture, like mangas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5