• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
I hear this complaint a lot and francly I don't understand it. Why would anyone complain about not knowing the full story behind things in a character centric tale? Eureka 7 follows Renton almost exclusively, we as an audience are not supposed to know much more than he does or the whole discovery phase of the story would be essentially invalidated.

Renton has goten swept into this adventure with a wild bunch of rebels that he knows very little about so it only makes sense that the audience know little as well. You know all will be revealed eventually so what's the rush?

As far as the large cast I would say this one of the shows and all of BONES's works biggest strenghts. Even when there is little plot-related activity going on, just watching the various characters interact is a pleasure in itself because they are believable and interesting without stealing the spotlight.

Its easy to say "there is no plot" but the fact is that just like a good book or movies EVERYTHING is the plot. There may be minor and major threads but ultimately everything is there for a reason and it serves the impact of the work. A story where any characters or narrative threads are just the inconsequential entourage for a "main plot" is a failed work.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
cheezisgoooood wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
So far it seems pretty overrated. I've been watching it on CN and nine episodes in, they've barely revealed any plot.

"So far it seems pretty overrated"

That was a dumb statement >_>.

How so? I supported my statement. There's little if any plot. They drop references to things that they never gave any background for, as if you're supposed to already know. It's becoming jargon-heavy, which is what prevented GitS: SAC from being as good as Fullmetal Alchemist. It's cast of characters is too large for a show that only really has three or four active characters, and they're all pretty dull (besides Holland).

Many people have puffed this show up as being a great series. I wouldn't disagree that it's decent, but it's certainly not standout.

Since when has anime ever been a medium where the plot is thrown in your face right form the start?
goins007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="cheezisgoooood"]
penguintruth wrote:
cheezisgoooood wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
So far it seems pretty overrated. I've been watching it on CN and nine episodes in, they've barely revealed any plot.

"So far it seems pretty overrated"

That was a dumb statement >_>.

How so? I supported my statement. There's little if any plot. They drop references to things that they never gave any background for, as if you're supposed to already know. It's becoming jargon-heavy, which is what prevented GitS: SAC from being as good as Fullmetal Alchemist. It's cast of characters is too large for a show that only really has three or four active characters, and they're all pretty dull (besides Holland).

Many people have puffed this show up as being a great series. I wouldn't disagree that it's decent, but it's certainly not standout.

Hey you don't have to like GIS:SAC, but just because it was over your head doesn't mean that the rest of us (and the majority) didn't get it, and put it up with the other classics.

Stop jumping the gun. Like the other person said, no anime I can think of told you all the details of the plot right from the get go. What fun would that be if they did? No twists, no turns, no suprise discoveries that makes our hero(s) question what their doing?
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
From what I've seen so far it got me hooked pretty well. Sad to see the stoned Adult Swim crowd does not find it appealing. Then again, trusting such a source as the Nielsen box (spelling?) is quite very much unreliable, even when we have to admit there really aren't any alternatives. I mean, come on, only the houses with the boxes got represented--which means it will undeniably have some sort of a "mainstream-only" bias with niche audiences having a disproportionately underrepresented percentage.

Aaaanyway...
penguintruth wrote:

First of all, you should not present your opinion: "GitS: SAC is not as good as FA" as fact. I respect your opinion, but your wording indicate you claiming it is a fact, which I must disagree. Also, I don't find Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex to have too much jargon at all. The hard part is the philosophical ramblings, which really don't use much series-specific jargon; unless, of course, you find all the philosophical references jargon. And Eureka, as of episode 7, really doesn't have that much jargon now, does it?

Secondly, your judgement is made upon a two-seasons (four seasons, if we go by the 13-episodes rule) show from its first 7 episodes. To use a general example: Naruto fails to establish any serious plots whatsoever within its first ten episodes; though of course I'm aware these are very different examples. The references I don't see as the producers assuming we understand everything--quite the opposite, I see it as the producers presenting mostly what's only seen through the lead character's point-of-view, and builds up that way. The action is slow, perhaps, but I don't find any of it boring.

It seems people get all angry and disappointed over Eureka 7 just because they expect it to be something it is not. From the posts here I get the impression that people are looking for "mecha-action-blood-shiny battles-now!" and "plots, enemies, intrigues, now!" kind of show. :-/
DaZ616

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:12 am Reply with quote
I was going to watching this show, but seeing how you people rate it, maybe it can be put on "hold"...

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
blackness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any complaints at all about Eureka 7, and I've been watching it on Adult Swim. When I saw that Eureka 7 was comming to Adult Swim I had no expectations for the reason that anything could happen. Therefore I waited for it to go on air and I just watched it. Because I wasn't expecting it to be a mech show or anything, I was able to enjoy and become hooked on the series reguardless of what people made it out to be. Now I love the show and I look forward to it every Saturday with no complaints. Reason being I am faithful to the shows I start so I can look foward to the next suprise.
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Man this just confirms what I have been thinking for a long time. That the people at [as] have something against anime, at least the majority of them anyway. I mean putting all your new anime on saturdays, bad idea.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I can be persuaded into thinking this.

There is one thing I noticed, and I'm sure other people must have noticed this:

Adult Swim promotes the hell out of its comedy offerings, not only its original programming but also its acquired products. Commercials for Season 2 of The Venture Brothers season premiere of 25 June 2006 were airing in March. Meanwhile, anime such as Kakurenbo had coomericals for it airing 2 weeks before its air date. For the Escaflowne movie, I didn't see commericals for it on Adult Swim until one week before its air date.

How does Adult Swim expect its ratings for anime to do better if it doesn't promote its Saturday night fare the same way it promotes its comedies? The time will come when Cowboy Bebop won't be enough to attract anime viewers to Adult Swim.

Also, which anime will take the baton from InuYasha when it ends its debut run within the next twelve months? It may still air during the weeknight time slots, but that still leaves Saturday night open.

If Adult Swim could divert five percent of the advertising dollars it uses for Tom Goes to the Mayor into its anime offerings, I'm sure the anime ratings would increase.

----------

Last weekend spoiler[we saw the appearance of another Nirvash, the cradt called Type theEND]. I wasn't expecting that to happen until far later into the series. E7 is starting to feel more grounded and more conventional. More is spoiler[coming out about the pasts of members of the Gekko State, especially Holland and Eureka].

I'm expecting E7 to get better, especially as more details reveal themselves to us.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Eureka 7 is one of the most successful shows I've watched about a kid going through puberty and growing up to be an adult. Often I see way too much exaggeration about useless and trivial issues that a kid really doesn't grow much from anyway. But Renton goes through a lot of trials as a kid with a strong sense of morals, often finding out that there is no black and white in good and bad. Holland is also very realistic; he's stubborn, often immature, and he grows a lot while arguing with Renton.

I think the seiyuu for Renton was very appropriate. I actually found Kazuma Azuma's voice from Yakitate!! Japan to be really annoying. It was a nice change of voices from one series to a better series.
Trugentleman02

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
i forced myself to watch all of it and I finished it yesterday. And honestly, most of it sucked. Renton whines way too much. I swear, the first 20 episodes are garbage. But, episodes from like 21-28, the last few episodes, and a few spots here and there makes it all worth while. The ending was great.

I would rate this anime a 7/10. Even though 80% of this anime sucks, the last 20% definitely worth watching but you would have to watch all of it to understand. So, it's a coin toss to watch this one. Do you want to sit through a 25 hour anime even though 20 hours of it is dull but has 5 hours of it that can contend with any anime?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote
Tetsujin wrote:
Adult Swim promotes the hell out of its comedy offerings, not only its original programming but also its acquired products.

And then complains when their new anime gets bad ratings, even though they show it on Saturday, a historical bad time for new shows.

I have spoken elsewhere on this, but you and I are on agreement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I personally do not understand Eureka Seven much myself, but I'm going to continue watching it until everything is clear to me. The last few episodes I've seen have been pretty plot-driven, and the series is beginning to make up the ground it lost during the first several episodes. In the last episode I watched spoiler[there was some pink-haired girl who looked just like Eureka and was really crazy. She was about to like fry the the brains of Renton and Eureka when they encountered each other in their LFO's while approaching that giant ball in the sky.] So, everything seems to be actually moving now. I guess I just have to wait for tonight's episode in order for everything to unfold just a little bit more.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Tetsujin wrote:

Also, which anime will take the baton from InuYasha when it ends its debut run within the next twelve months? It may still air during the weeknight time slots, but that still leaves Saturday night open.

I thought it was obvious that they're expecting Bleach to replace Inuyasha
Kidder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Trugentleman02 wrote:
i forced myself to watch all of it and I finished it yesterday. And honestly, most of it sucked. Renton whines way too much. I swear, the first 20 episodes are garbage. But, episodes from like 21-28, the last few episodes, and a few spots here and there makes it all worth while. The ending was great.

I would rate this anime a 7/10. Even though 80% of this anime sucks, the last 20% definitely worth watching but you would have to watch all of it to understand. So, it's a coin toss to watch this one. Do you want to sit through a 25 hour anime even though 20 hours of it is dull but has 5 hours of it that can contend with any anime?

lol... in terms of whine time to episode time ratio, Renton whines a huge amount less than most mecha pilots in anime. In fact he doesn't even spend that much time in his mecha. The fact is that he's just a kid and frankly he deals with the whole situation really well.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
Trugentleman02 wrote:

No no no, Shin Asuka from Gundam SEED Destiny is a whiner. Throughout the entire 50 episodes, Shin Asuka uses his family's deaths as an excuse to whine about everything. If you follow the character development of Eureka 7, you can clearly see a logical reasoning as to why a 14 year old boy would act that way. Not the same case for Shin Asuka. One example of Renton's justified whining: spoiler[Renton wants to get that Vordorak(SP?) girl a life support machine when her parents wished her to die at her homeland. Renton doesn't understand why her parents would want her to die when she could be saved with another life support machine. This is a very realistic example of a kid simply not being able to understand the motives of parents. He kidnaps her and tries to get her a life support machine but realizes that she donated hers to another patient and she dies in the hospital. He learns that he did something wrong and that his [strong] morals are not always right.]

PS: Don't watch Gundam SEED Destiny.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I've only missed a couple episodes of this series so far.

Up to this point, I really don't have any serious problems with this anime that would stop me from continuing to watch it. The last episode seemed pretty derivative of other anime I've seen, but there's still a slight intrigue there that could spark later in the series.

I wouldn't say the show is addictive enough for me to go off and buy the DVD's or anything, but there is still time for this show to really get on its feet. If it does, I'll certainly be watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 20