• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Experimental Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Atenias wrote:
Hanoka is the only one I can think of.
It's the first flash anime, that they first broadcast on tv. At first it do't look like flash at all, but you can see it by the movements of the mouths and a few other things.
I think there will be more other flash-anime in the future.

To see what Hanoka looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX4IdOLmWfg

It's pretty cool that people are making anime with flash! Unfortunately, while flash is fine for amateur animations on newgrounds and such, it doesn't suit anime. I really think Hanoka looked AWFUL, just by the 5 minutes I watched (and the 1st episode usually has the best animation).
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hoenheim wrote:
I just finished Princess Arete, one of my first experimental anime, and I have a question I didn't think deserved it's own thread, so I figured this would be a good place to ask it. What exactly makes Princess Arete experimental?

Princess Arete isn't really experimental at all; it just happens to get mentioned in these types of conversations because so many of the staff were involved with other experimental pieces, and it IS a Studio 4°C title, albeit a fairly traditional one. Like I said earlier, it's by far the most conventional film to come out of that particular studio, but it's a damn fine film. Great for anyone. Kind of the same way Night on the Galactic Railroad is great for anyone.

(P.S. I have internet again! Yay!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Serial Experiments: Lain

no pun intended, but it is great anime. it uses this sloooow pacing in its story, unique chanacter designs, brief dialogs and is not afraid to do anything it tell what is intended.

wierd, and new ( at least at its time, it was pretty experimental )
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but you must watch Noein. I love this show. The animation style could easily be compared to something by 4C. It's really a feast for the eyes and the animation is great. The best part however is the story. It focuses alot on quantum mechanics(a good deal of the science in the show is either accurate or plausible) weaved in with a story about time travel, and explores alot of philosophical/scientific concepts and still has great character development. It manages to pull off a great story with a smart plot that's philosophical without being pretentiously abstruse(i.e. Lain, EVA).
Unfortunately, both the complex story and the unique style are what have(and will) turn off some and stop it from being really popular(althought for me, the science talk is part of what made me fall in love with the show). It's a shame since it's one of the best I've ever seen and it's hard to imagine someone not enjoying it.

Windy Tales is also great. Despite being about kids with magic powers, it does a great job of avoiding the cliche trap that the show's concept originally brings to mind.

And I agree with Cloe, Mind Game and Kemonozume are the bees knees.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Just finishing up the 2015 "updates" for the recommendation threads. So, since it is now (early) 2016, did 2007-15 present any good experimental anime?
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
"Experimental" is an interesting word. Does it have to be an actual experiment, or is just being different enough?

What immediately comes to mind is stuff like Genius Party (2007), Short Peace (2013), and the Japan Animator Expo project, ie, shorts where a person or small team is doing something crazy. But even those aren't necessarily "experimental", some of them are just people doing random stuff for the heck of it.

Commercially it kinda depends on how you word it, since adaptations can't "experiment" storywise but might stylewise, such as Flowers of Evil. Trigger's adventures with Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer could potentially be considered experimental since it's a Japanese studio doing what would generally be considered a "Western" style. I can't think of too many original experiments...Kill la Kill maybe?

You could also consider Kickstarted anime "experimental", even if the end product is pretty standard, since it's an experiment with the means of production. The ones I remember off the top of my head is Little Witch Academia, Go! Samurai, and Coluboccoro. Time of Eve (2008) was distributed via Kickstarter in the West and is itself an indie project.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Masaki Yuasa's work is obviously very experimental:

Kaiba (2008). Tatami Galaxy (2010) and Ping Pong (2014) are all great examples of experimental anime series made in recent years.

To my understanding experimental means something that "experiments" with very different styles and is more "self conscious" of being a film/show, specially of its visual aspects, instead of being purely a narrative driven film fully contained inside it's universe without being conscious of being a film.

Other interesting more experimental shows are Ikuhara's Penguindrum and Lesbears.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4