• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Craft Works (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Looks like the author of this anime likes penguins.
It reminds me of Mawaru Penguindrum so much.
Poor Takamiya. Now he's getting pressure from his sister too.
Things just can't seem to get better for him.
Those Tower Witches just won't give them a break.
Wtf?! His sister is a witch too?!
Teddy vs Bunny was a bit weird to watch; slightly disturbing.
Looks like Takamiya's sister has a slight brother complex LOL]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I have a continued like for the role reversal, by which I mean his room being covered in spoiler[penguins like he has a love of cute things]. And the after battle having him have the spoiler[part of worried about safety], both of them pretty much spoiler[ignored the sister] and that he was more worried about spoiler[Kagari and she offered for them to live together]. I am interested in the fallout of that.

Random funny moments: seeing the tower witches spoiler[play with their pawn pieces to beat up the king and queen pieces], and going to spoiler[karaoke after losing]. Also that one trio that has a lama, so random, they called it really close butspoiler[ it ran away during the danger].
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
Ah yes, with every new season there must be at least one show where an utterly generic MC with no personality gets dogpiled by supermodels because he is The Chosen One.

Lol, if this is an accurate description for this show then maybe I have done well by avoiding it. I initially didn't watch because it got such bad preview responses by ANN, but I am not sure if I need another of these harem shows with a bland, self-insert lead who is indecisive and kind of useless, yet has tons of hot babes throwing themselves on him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Lol, if this is an accurate description for this show then maybe I have done well by avoiding it. I initially didn't watch because it got such bad preview responses by ANN, but I am not sure if I need another of these harem shows with a bland, self-insert lead who is indecisive and kind of useless, yet has tons of hot babes throwing themselves on him.

Harem?
Harem.....?

After four episodes the closest he has to a harem member other than the love interest is his overprotective sister. Yes there appears to be dozens of girls after him, but apparently saying they are after his "white stuff", is a poor choice of words, and it seems they just want catch him alive to use. The girl is probably the one most likely to have a harem.

And in terms of saying he is a useless and indecisive, so far it seems more that gender roles are reversed. He seems pretty sensitive about causing trouble for people, yet trying to not be a burden, and does not really show any signs of indecisiveness, or really she is not giving him much of a choice.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The lead is more proactive than the average harem guy, and the group of girls after him are more over-the-top evil badguys than they are harem girls. I'm personally finding the show very amusing.

When do the episodes come out in Japan? They're released on Wednesdays on CR, so I don't get how anyone's seen ep 4 yet.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The lead is more proactive than the average harem guy, and the group of girls after him are more over-the-top evil badguys than they are harem girls. I'm personally finding the show very amusing.

When do the episodes come out in Japan? They're released on Wednesdays on CR, so I don't get how anyone's seen ep 4 yet.

I think it comes out Sat/Sun night for them. Fansubs usually out Sunday night for America.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 watches shows as they air, so that's why he usually posts first and has over 30K posts on MAL and starts nearly every episode discussion thread on nearly every show on MAL
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The interpretation of Harem (at least what I assume most people think of it) is that the lead is almost a blank slate so the (often male) audience could fill themselves in the role, the lead is surrounded by hot girls that fawn over him for very arbitrary reasons, and the lead gains super powers in an almost dues ex machina fashion.
Agent355 wrote:

I would argue Honoka is about on par with the average (well received) harem lead especially with those that have premiered within the past few years.

Said harem leads have a positive attitude, usually try to comprehend there strange situation in some aspect (often the excuse plot for why the ladies are after him are involved with this), and the more important modern twist is that if they display some sort of power to be able to engage the situation it is established how they gained the power instead of "well now he needs power to fight the final boss".

The difference in expectation and what is delivered is subtlety different however it is significant enough that well executed harem is more than just "wish fulfillment" as it then becomes a story proper in its own right, even if that story was originally aimed as a male audience's fantasy.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Okay episode I guess....I'm a bit disappointed in the mc again as his spoiler[little sister] did a lot more than him.

Dat spoiler[giant teddy bear though. I was actually impressed by that. Oh well, those witches' plans failed this time but maybe they can try again in the future.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why everyone's so negative on the "white stuff" comment. It's obviously not actually semen, it's just a wrongful interpretation on Honoka's part meant to be comedic. Given the structure for stories in this genre, he probably has some valuable and likely white item or spirit trapped within (Shana, Maburaho, several others) that the Tower Witches want, not jizz. In fact, the show's structure is a much more relaxed and slap-sticky version of Shana, so far, but I doubt it'll be going to the same extremes that Shana did later on.

On the harem question, unless those Tower Witches start falling for him, it's not a harem, just having girls around doesn't automatically make it one. Sometimes I think that argument is brought up so people can attach some kind of harem-stigma-connotation to a series.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
On the harem question, unless those Tower Witches start falling for him ..

I would say that is a "when" not a "if" proposition.

You are right about the "white stuff" gag. A pretty dumb joke -- not very funny -- but a joke nonetheless and they milked it (ha) for what it was worth.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I really don't see this developing into a harem unless other witches currently outside of the story are also introduced. Why everyone seems so bent on turning 'harem' into a derogatory descriptor, even when the series in question really isn't, I'll never get. I feel like you're calling it, or want to call it, a harem so that you can find some arbitrary reason to knock it down.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
This show is one of my faves of the Winter Season. I find it consistently funny and interesting. I like the relationship between Tits and MC. I absolutely adore those five inept Tower Witches. I hope they become buds with the two leads.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why everyone seems so bent on turning 'harem' into a derogatory descriptor

It is an excuse term to slap on a series for why "I ain't watching this/this is teh rezon why anime sux nao!" in a similar vane as Loli and/or Moe.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
Besides that, we're a third of the way through the series and there's been no obvious signs of a harem developing. The Tower witches and his sister aren't in the running, and any other girl would only be inferior to Kagari. It would be a fruitless effort to introduce any other romantic interests.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9