• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/stay night's 2nd Promo Video by ufotable Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsunamiking

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
The duel scenes give me jawdrop. Shocked

Still have at least another year to save some $$$ until AoA's limited edition release. Definitely not gonna miss this one! Twisted Evil

Btw, they still haven't told us which scenario they're going to take, have they?
they have not get told us how ever if you are a DIE HARD FATE FAN like myself there are a few indicators that if will be a heavens feel scenario lets keep our fingers crossed.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
I think what has been said indicates it is highly unlikely to be a pure HF adaption. Mainly the continuation of F/Z part... HF has the least connection by far to F/Z. Fate has the continuation of Saber's story and while more weakly connected than Fate, UBW has the continuation of Kiritsugu's story through Shiro. HF deals with some significant overall plot points like the grail itself, but completely ignores the thing in F/Z that needs continuation the most: saber coming to the realization that she didn't fail as a king. If they did HF, I think anyone truly continuing from F/Z would be shocked and extremely annoyed that not only was saber's plot line ignored, she is basically not even in it.

mehh wrote:
ss4chris wrote:

sounds like hentai side of you talking. because minus the sex scenes theres no real difference between the 2.

No. The anime adaption was shit, no other reason than that.

I like how you can't even elaborate as to why you think it is shit...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

The truest definition of an Internet troll is when someone makes a blanket statement with zero support for their argument. If you think *that's* bad, just look at IMDb's message board. I swear, it's like 85% of the people there hate movies. And not just "dislike" or "don't agree" I mean *hate* in the strongest sense of the word.

People need to stop raging on the Internet and looking like idiots. If you don't like something, then continue not liking it for your own reasons. But if you're not even willing to put forth the effort of saying why, then just don't say anything and stop being an attention whore.

EDIT: Re-worded some things and fixed a couple of other goofs.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri May 09, 2014 3:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Ranho

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
I liked the original Fate/Stay Night. It had this...clunky-ness that was charming (Like the adaptation of Tsukihime).

And then Fate Zero happe-- Gen Urobuchi's Fate Zero happened to me and that was pretty much the end of that as far as touching anything Fate/ related ever again was concerned.

Still really dig the character designs by that Type-Moon artist. Pretty awesome in Canaan, too.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
I (like most people I think) first saw the DEEN anime. I thought it was a fairly average shounen flick. It had a great concept, a dull protagonist, long sequences of nothing happening, two good female characters and legendary heroes fighting. Only the concept kept me going for the first quarter of episodes, but the ending I thought was really good. The technical side wasn't very good, considering that the other high profile anime that year were Code Geass, Death Note, Kanon, followed a year later by Gurren Lagann, Macross Frontier, Gundam 00 and others.

I had half-forgotten that anime when I read the visual novel in 2010, really liked it despite Nasu's at times insufferable prose. I watched the anime again and my opinion of it was way more negative. So what was wrong with the anime? First of all it told slightly over 1/3 of the actual story. Fate was not meant to be stand-alone. It was meant to be seen as a part that isn't complete without the others. It is nominally self-contained, but simply lesser without the others. In retrospect Deen not trying to mix in more from other routes, if they did not intend to animate them at that time, was a big mistake. It simply gives you a lesser story.

Secondly, I was surprised how little and how uninspiringly psychological insight was provided in the anime. For example, the intensity of flashbacks wasn't even approached. We knew why people did things, but at least I wasn't convinced how important the past was for those characters, and that is crucial for both Shirou and Saber (the lack of insight in Saber makes a lot of people comment how much more successful F/Z portrays her convictions). Shirou's case was especially bad, because almost nothing of his characterization from UBW was included, which was necessary to make him a compelling character. Without you only have the single-minded side of him. Much of his inner monologues even from Fate was lost in the anime and I do not believe that it is all just because of the change of the medium. UBW movie on the other hand concentrated on the wrong things. It wasn't Shirou's future as you-know-who that was his problem, or that he fails to bring about his wishes, or his ideals themselves, it was the psychology behind his actions - the rather tragic contradiction that he fails to grasp until late UBW. And there's buildup to that in the novel through both routes - an (often) unreliable reflexions that the anime also fails to imitate. And I won't touch other characters like Kotomine or Ilya.

Thirdly, a number of plot developments are sped through without giving them proper context.

Fourthly, the way the action side is described in the novel makes the visuals in anime look even worse.

I do not think that the adaptation is terrible. That's a meme and as people already mentioned, a number of those who say that can't even really explain what's so terrible about it. I think it is uninspired, so it nonetheless sucks and if someone intends to read the novel at some point, there is no reason to watch it. Even putting aside the inevitable expectations from an adaptation, the visual novel is a much more immersive and emotionally satisfying experience.

I think this is the longest post I've had here, sorry for that.
Also I didn't stress this enough a while back, but WHAT THE HELL is wrong with Tohsaka's nose!!!
ragz

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
The first anime sucked because:

It only covered Fate route, which is the shallowest route of the three. Despite it's a self contained and finishes up Saber business, it serves more of a background for the other two routes. In fact Players are forced to finish it first before unlocking the other two. As a result there are a ton of loose ends with no resolution.

However, adaptation was not satisfied with only Fate route, so they thrown in elements from other two routes. Unsurprisingly, those elements add little to actual fate story line, so it's a lot of random WTF moment and more confusion than actual progression. It's like: "Wait, what's wrong with Sakura? Oh, we are done with Sakura? Back to whatever we were doing then".

Because of these extra stuff, the actual content of Fate route is compressed, character development becomes a slideshow than a smooth transition. Saber especially suffered from this, goes from robotic to schizophrenic. Rin on the other hand is rendered into a plot device with no depth.

The overall result of this jumbled mess is that somehow it became a "villain of the (bi)week" show which it was never meant to be, showed none of the depth that made VN interesting. It's like trying to tell a joke you heard once, but you don't quite remember how it went and fumbled badly, so you tried to improvise and it made sense on the surface but just not funny anymore.
mehh

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Why should I bother when plenty of other people have already explained why the adaption was crap. I was simply giving a half troll, half straight to the point answer to ss4chris's statement, that the only difference between the anime and the VN were the 'hentai scenes'. That comment to me didn't really deserve an appropriate answer.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
I (like most people I think) first saw the DEEN anime. I thought it was a fairly average shounen flick. It had a great concept, a dull protagonist, long sequences of nothing happening, two good female characters and legendary heroes fighting. Only the concept kept me going for the first quarter of episodes, but the ending I thought was really good. The technical side wasn't very good, considering that the other high profile anime that year were Code Geass, Death Note, Kanon, followed a year later by Gurren Lagann, Macross Frontier, Gundam 00 and others.

I had half-forgotten that anime when I read the visual novel in 2010, really liked it despite Nasu's at times insufferable prose. I watched the anime again and my opinion of it was way more negative. So what was wrong with the anime? First of all it told slightly over 1/3 of the actual story. Fate was not meant to be stand-alone. It was meant to be seen as a part that isn't complete without the others. It is nominally self-contained, but simply lesser without the others. In retrospect Deen not trying to mix in more from other routes, if they did not intend to animate them at that time, was a big mistake. It simply gives you a lesser story.

Secondly, I was surprised how little and how uninspiringly psychological insight was provided in the anime. For example, the intensity of flashbacks wasn't even approached. We knew why people did things, but at least I wasn't convinced how important the past was for those characters, and that is crucial for both Shirou and Saber (the lack of insight in Saber makes a lot of people comment how much more successful F/Z portrays her convictions). Shirou's case was especially bad, because almost nothing of his characterization from UBW was included, which was necessary to make him a compelling character. Without you only have the single-minded side of him. Much of his inner monologues even from Fate was lost in the anime and I do not believe that it is all just because of the change of the medium. UBW movie on the other hand concentrated on the wrong things. It wasn't Shirou's future as you-know-who that was his problem, or that he fails to bring about his wishes, or his ideals themselves, it was the psychology behind his actions - the rather tragic contradiction that he fails to grasp until late UBW. And there's buildup to that in the novel through both routes - an (often) unreliable reflexions that the anime also fails to imitate. And I won't touch other characters like Kotomine or Ilya.

Thirdly, a number of plot developments are sped through without giving them proper context.

Fourthly, the way the action side is described in the novel makes the visuals in anime look even worse.

I do not think that the adaptation is terrible. That's a meme and as people already mentioned, a number of those who say that can't even really explain what's so terrible about it. I think it is uninspired, so it nonetheless sucks and if someone intends to read the novel at some point, there is no reason to watch it. Even putting aside the inevitable expectations from an adaptation, the visual novel is a much more immersive and emotionally satisfying experience.

I think this is the longest post I've had here, sorry for that.
Also I didn't stress this enough a while back, but WHAT THE HELL is wrong with Tohsaka's nose!!!

Great post. I agree with most of your points. I'm in the same boat, watched F/SN anime in 2009, played/read the VN in... 2011/2012? The anime was interesting and I enjoyed it, but, when I tried to look up information on certain points I didn't understand, it quickly became apparent that the anime was full of holes that just didn't give out enough information to make a complete story.

My comment on Thursday was specifically aimed at the people saying "the anime/movie weren't that bad, it doesn't need a remake/new anime." By and large, the vast majority of people I know who have played the VN agree that the anime does not even come close to doing justice to the story in the VN. Thus, when I see those "not that bad" comments, I just assume it's because they haven't read the VN.

The point jl07045 made that I think is the single best reason why the DEEN anime is "bad" (or I would just use the word "lacking") is that the Fate route really is just 1/3rd of the story. If you only read the one route in the VN, you would be missing a lot of information needed to make sense out of the events you just read. DEEN tried to compensate for this by shoehorning some events from other routes, but this ended up just needlessly muddling up the story, in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4