• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mona Marshall, Johnny Yong Bosch Lead Doraemon Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
My understanding is that it's one of those hyperepisodic shows where you're lucky to have anything introduced stick.

There's recurring gags, inventions, and characters.

But I have a feeling it will be like Shin-chan's dub where they just pick and choose random episodes on a whim and frankenstein them together. I also doubt we'll get any of the movies. I honestly don't have much faith in this show. It's hard enough to sell a kids anime which sells a toyline (just look at Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh's floundering ratings and audience) and for one that isn't like this kids might be even less interested. Especially on a channel like Disney Anime hyper.

Plus the humor is pretty different than what kids are probably used to. The big thing right now seems to be idiot boys who run around screaming and acting crazy and random. Maybe that's just Cartoon Network, though. Nobita isn't anything like that, he's more of a reserved loser.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I wonder if Viz will release this on DVD uncut? I know lots of shows that got edited got uncut DVDs released. Monster Rancher and Samurai Pizza Cats are two of those.

This could even be a case like Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Sailor Moon S/SuperS, Tenchi Muyo, Gundam Wing, and other shows where it's dubbed uncut (at least visually) then they go back and edit it for television, but it's the uncut version that ends up on DVD. I doubt it though.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Polycell wrote:
My understanding is that it's one of those hyperepisodic shows where you're lucky to have anything introduced stick.

There's recurring gags, inventions, and characters.

In other words, it's a CARTOON, not Battlestar Galactica or 24: Live Another Day. (Or Legend of Korra.)
And a revival of an old-school 70's kiddy cartoon/comic, at that. I'm guessing the poster didn't think it actually had a plot, but then, with that new Bugs Bunny series on CN, and those new-style "retro-kitsch" Mickey Mouse toons coming out of Disney, I really don't know what US cartoon fans think anymore. Something screwed up our evolution.

gloverrandal wrote:
t's hard enough to sell a kids anime which sells a toyline (just look at Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh's floundering ratings and audience) and for one that isn't like this kids might be even less interested. Especially on a channel like Disney Anime hyper.

I don't think the JP exporters had been interested in selling Dora all these years because of cultural understanding--There is no shortage of Dora toys and marketing to export, and with Dora set to become the face of the '20 Olympics, there'll be a lot more.
Yes, it was the Olympics that finally got the foot in the door with us, but licensing is licensing, and it was only the obscurity or show length for the 70's series that had stood in the way all throughout the 80's and 90's.

Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh both suffered the worst fate any kids' trend can suffer--those who played it grew up and watched their little siblings get hooked, which officially made it a "little kid" thing--and was too tied to their product marketing to be something rediscovered for itself like Harry Potter or Star Wars.
Doraemon is simply cartoons, and, unlike most of X-D, FUNNY ones. A drop of water in the desert, maybe, but no purchase necessary, and with a nice aftertaste.

Quote:
Plus the humor is pretty different than what kids are probably used to. The big thing right now seems to be idiot boys who run around screaming and acting crazy and random. Maybe that's just Cartoon Network, though. Nobita isn't anything like that, he's more of a reserved loser.

He's like Charlie Brown without the pathos or the philosophy, and most of the humor is in how lazy and unachieving he knows he is, and is too willing to give up...Dora's got his redemption work cut out for him.
But it comes from a source (ie. Fujio) interested in what kids think is funny, not in some John K.-raised animation school fratboys trying to live their own "x-treme" immaturity into adulthood.
(No, seriously, does anyone actually like Spongebob and Phineas & Ferb for the shows, rather than simply being there as a cable comfort-food after school? In my day, junior, some of us actually watched freakin' Tom & Jerry because it was one of the few cartoons local stations showed at 4pm...Now that's scary. And did I mention the stations that still showed Mighty Mouse? Shocked )

I remember when ADV was trying to find a Nick/syndie buyer for Sgt. Frog, another show pitched to Japanese 7-11 yo.'s, and was enthusiastic about how universally the humor translated: "He wants to conquer the world, but he just has to finish his comic books and one more robot model first!"
That was a positive example of keeping the cross-Pacific humor intact (unlike, ahem, some dub companies we could mention in the same sentence with Frog...), and that's definitely a vibe I'm getting from Disney's ads.
I'd already been watching the original '14 series on Youtube (unlike, ahem, some forum posters we could mention in the same sentence with evil pizzas...), and Disney's selling of the show isn't too deceptively off the mark. Nobita's sorcerer-apprentice troubles with Dora's gadgets are chaos any kid can understand, and that something I'd have a lot of trouble saying about Agent P.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree with EricJ2, the John K.-style TV shorts starring Mickey Mouse are kinda hit-or-miss, but the theatrical short Walt Disney Animation Studios, Get A Horse!, was the best Mickey Mouse cartoon short ever released, at least in my opinion. In other words, Lasseter & Co. know more about what makes great Disney content (and better) than Disney TV Animation does. Back to Doraemon though, I'm sure there will be a lot of products sold if it catches on here in the States. I can imagine seeing some giant Doraemon or Dorami plush dolls at Walmart or Toys "R" Us.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Not to mentioned that since their using Bosch , this was gonna be handled by Studiopolis considering he's a regular studiopolis VA & disney is currently using that studio to handle the voices for all of the marvel series on their channel.

Minor correction, it's Bang Zoom dubbing this. The article these comments are tied to prominently states that. In non-anime dubbing, Bang Zoom recently did voiceover duties for Rick & Morty. JYB has also done a few Bang Zoom dubs, like Eureka Seven.

All of that I know of. is that considering that Disney is currenrtly using Studiopolis for their Marvel cartoons using their VA is a no brainer. and in the past , JYB had a knack of using Studiopolis and other VA companies when it comes to kids shows like Tenkai Knights and even cameos for some Power Rangers eps.

The only time i know of is where he voiced in a series/movie where its kid friendly and was voiced by Bang Zoom was a small role in the Card Captor Sakura Movie. Other than that , he uses a different name Though i have no freaking idea why some VA does that crap for some of their series that have "questionable content" like Tengo Tenge.

Dont be surprised if he uses a different name though its highly unlikely since doreamon is definitely not Tengo Tenge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
The only time i know of is where he voiced in a series/movie where its kid friendly and was voiced by Bang Zoom was a small role in the Card Captor Sakura Movie. Other than that , he uses a different name Though i have no freaking idea why some VA does that crap for some of their series that have "questionable content" like Tengo Tenge.

don't be surprised if he uses a different name though its highly unlikely since doreamon is definitely not Tengo Tenge.

The different name thing had to do with union/non-union jobs. Kevin Hatcher for a few early JYB dubs. A bit like how Steve Blum used the David Lucas alias for union work before he unionized. It's not about the questionable content of Tenjho Tenge at all. Very few VAs use aliases anymore, so I'm sure JYB will use his real name, especially since he already had his name used in this very article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Mona's been very active in voice acting. She's been one of the main voice actors on South Park for 15 years, and was in Blue Exorcist and Fate/Zero with anime.

(looks at article picture)
And on the side, she's also had a successful career as a fashion designer for superhero suits. Razz
dark_relm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
I dont understand why people are like "its disrespecting the art work" upon other bullshit( also, i dont think the artists intended their "art work" to have subs thrown over top it), but people realize that the NA licencors cant just censor what ever they choose right? It has to be approved by the japanese studio who made it. And they are also given guildlines of what they cant change(an example would be in Ghost stories, they are not allowed to change ghost names, or how the ghost is captured.) and what they can change(an example is again Ghost stories, besides the names of ghost and how they are captured, they could change literally anything)
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

The different name thing had to do with union/non-union jobs. Kevin Hatcher for a few early JYB dubs. A bit like how Steve Blum used the David Lucas alias for union work before he unionized. It's not about the questionable content of Tenjho Tenge at all. Very few VAs use aliases anymore, so I'm sure JYB will use his real name, especially since he already had his name used in this very article.

well it appears so when it comes to ecchi/fanservice series. both dan green and veronica taylor used different names in Queens Blade seasons 1 & 2 when NYAV was comissioned to do the dub.

Hell there was one time that the name michal sloud (aka soul eater)was another JYB alias since the kinda sound alike only to find out he was a new funi VA during a funi panel when they were announcing the dub cast to toaru no majustu index & toaru kagaku no railgun.

And to be frank, I for one though that NYAV would be the ones to do the dubbing for doreamon considering they have done a lot of the 4kids dubs that didn't sucked like Pokemon and Yugioh. Or if not them it would be the Ocean Group considering they did the dub for both Preety Cure and Powerpuff Girls Z (even though they haven't been officially been released in the US).

Also both she and miss seph used different names in rebellion (though seph used her real name in the ADR staff) and of course in the ikkitousen OVA taylor used different name when voicing gentou ryubii , and i have both series on DVD, so the reason because of union/non union rules is a mood point.

the only time i have ever noticed a VA use a alias that never had those content was JYB in one of those series that was kid based (though not sure if it was the cameo in power rangers or tenkai knights).

Regardless , dont be surprised to see his David Hatcher alias or another name for this series which i have a nasty feeling it might be the case considering how badly its being reviewed by the otaku community as another massive hack job and to be honestly isnt necessarly since its definitely a kids show over there and all means no crayon shin chan and only 4yr olds will be fooled, but kids in the 11 to near teem age wont be and will be pursuing the fansub version.

it had already happened with every anime series that got americanized into a kids show (pokemon,yugioh,beyblade,bakguan,etc) an ya better believe that some of those same auidence that disney is pursuing and is very computer savy which a lot of kids that age are via youtube will be seeking out a fansub version of doreamon which will of course mean this experiment will go boom before it get even started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
That does raise the question. Perhaps the reason kids anime has lost it's luster in America is because of the advent of high speed internet being so readily available they can just watch these shows without having to rely on the TV broadcast. In the 90s it was hard to find Japanese Pokemon episodes, for example, and if you were still on dial-up it was even harder to watch them. Now, with the fansubs readily available on popular tracker sites and even uploaded to YouTube and DailyMotion, it's just a few clicks away to watch these shows months in advance of the American airings, and also uncut.

Heavily Americanized dubs might just be a product of their time. Once useful during the dark days before the internet where companies could trick people into believing they weren't being fooled, but attempting them now leads to much less than desired results when information is so widely spread. Kids discover things now through the internet and word of mouth, not on TV.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
That does raise the question. Perhaps the reason kids anime has lost it's luster in America is because of the advent of high speed internet being so readily available they can just watch these shows without having to rely on the TV broadcast. In the 90s it was hard to find Japanese Pokemon episodes, for example, and if you were still on dial-up it was even harder to watch them. Now, with the fansubs readily available on popular tracker sites and even uploaded to YouTube and DailyMotion, it's just a few clicks away to watch these shows months in advance of the American airings, and also uncut.

What killed off Americanized syndicated non-game anime? (Besides the death of syndication, obviously?)
Everyone's got their own theory. Me, I go with the "Fox tries to air Escaflowne on Saturday morning, because they could score the license deal and thought 'how hard could it be?'" theory.
Some shows are exportable to the mainstream, and some are doomed to be for niches only. From the ads, I'm guessing Doraemon to be in the former category. Smile

As for cable, even the CN potheads haven't (malice aforethought) killed it off yet, so long as first-timers can get hooked on fight serials like Bleach or One Piece.
But those are handled by Viz and Funi, and by most of the glory days of cable broadcast, most of dubbing was handled by the disk companies, who didn't particularly care about mainstream cuts or concessions, since they were showing something that was already headed to disk anyway.
This one was shaped for broadcast, so they may have to release dual versions, but gotta admit it's a rarity nowadays. Didn't hurt Sailor Moon S/SuperS none, though.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Regardless , don't be surprised to see his David Hatcher alias or another name for this series which i have a nasty feeling it might be the case considering how badly its being reviewed by the otaku community as another massive hack job and to be honestly isnt necessarly since its definitely a kids show over there and all means no crayon shin chan and only 4yr olds will be fooled, but kids in the 11 to near teem age wont be and will be pursuing the fansub version.

JYB's name was announced in this very post as his real name. It's too late for him to go by his Kevin Hatcher alias now. The cat's out of the bag. JYB hasn't used his Kevin Hatcher alias in many years either. Whether it be a union dub like Code Geass or a non-union dub like Bleach, JYB always goes by JYB now. He could never say "no, that's not me, that's Kevin Hatcher" when asked about Doraemon after an announcement prominently attaching his name to the main character.

When Steve Blum used that David Lucas alias, he was very steadfast in stating they were separate people, calling David Lucas a friend of his and nothing more when asked about it up until he unionized and dropped the David Lucas moniker altogether. Micah Solusod was never an alias of JYB either, if I misread what you were saying there. I did think Micah sounded like JYB though, making him very fitting for the E7 AO dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

it had already happened with every anime series that got americanized into a kids show (pokemon,yugioh,beyblade,bakguan,etc) an ya better believe that some of those same auidence that disney is pursuing and is very computer savy which a lot of kids that age are via youtube will be seeking out a fansub version of doreamon which will of course mean this experiment will go boom before it get even started.

If they are interested enough in the show to go out of their way.
I have a feeling that those who would be interested enough in the show wouldn't care to do that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Regardless , don't be surprised to see his David Hatcher alias or another name for this series which i have a nasty feeling it might be the case considering how badly its being reviewed by the otaku community as another massive hack job and to be honestly isnt necessarly since its definitely a kids show over there and all means no crayon shin chan and only 4yr olds will be fooled, but kids in the 11 to near teem age wont be and will be pursuing the fansub version.

JYB's name was announced in this very post as his real name. It's too late for him to go by his Kevin Hatcher alias now. The cat's out of the bag. JYB hasn't used his Kevin Hatcher alias in many years either. Whether it be a union dub like Code Geass or a non-union dub like Bleach, JYB always goes by JYB now. He could never say "no, that's not me, that's Kevin Hatcher" when asked about Doraemon after an announcement prominently attaching his name to the main character.

When Steve Blum used that David Lucas alias, he was very steadfast in stating they were separate people, calling David Lucas a friend of his and nothing more when asked about it up until he unionized and dropped the David Lucas moniker altogether. Micah Solusod was never an alias of JYB either, if I misread what you were saying there. I did think Micah sounded like JYB though, making him very fitting for the E7 AO dub.

That is what i though too.when funi leaked teasers for the soul eater dub, i easily went under the conclusion that is JYB using another alias.

also never say never about him using that alias again. sure you make valid points about it being too little too late when it comes to using it again, but if there is anything that i know, is that people will do the damnest things especially when given a shitload of money and conisdering the cast here, Disney had to shell off a lot of it considering that union groups like Bang Zoom tend to be more expensive than non unions like Studiopolis.

enurtsol wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

If they are interested enough in the show to go out of their way.
I have a feeling that those who would be interested enough in the show wouldn't care to do that.

That there is a very valid point. doreamon is definitely no pokemon by any means, so most of the demograph wont give a damn. however there will be some that will be . and just like with the SM dubs that DIC did & of course the pokemon dubs that attracted the current otaku generation, and of course wanted to pursue the original version after getting sick of the hacked up dub version, it will be the exact same thing with this series. the new fans of it will drop the broadcast version like a hot rock the minute their have an unedited version on youtube. it happened with pokemon and it will happen with this series too.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll be in Boston when this premieres but it's set for record here in my home in Kentucky! Let the madness begin! (And even if this does end up being a GIANT flop, at least my future children will get to grow up with him speaking their native language. Very Happy )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5