• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Passes on Goddess Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NExclusive

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
pknecron wrote:
I don't care who gets it, but I REALLY hope that for continuity's sake they use the same VA's. I really liked the VA choices that were made for the first season, and would hate to see the flow of the story spoiled by not having the same group do the voice work.

I agree with you whole-heartedly,I love the va's in the first season and i think they are the perfect fit for the characters.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
I say spread the word and encourage people to buy season 1 and if sales continue to do well then maybe Media Blasters will reconsider.

MB are a great company and have gone on a bit of licensing spree as of late, i hope they keep this up.

They better reconsider!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
When MB picked up the first series, it was as a loss-leader. As I recall it, they stated that it would take a long time to recover their costs on the series. Frankly, the first TV series irritated me a great deal more than it pleased me and when I reviewed it, I gave it a "Rent." I gather that Japanese fans weren't as pleased either, but without seeing the actual numbers for ratings, I don't know how true that is.

As for the sequel series, again, it has irritating elements (like more "Baka Belldandy") and in Japan, it only went 22-episodes (with 2 OAVs for the DVD). I don't believe there will be a 3rd series.

As for the U.S., it wouldn't surprise me if the 2nd series is never licensed. If the first series didn't sell well enough for MB to try to score the license, then why would other companies want to pick it up?

Remember, AnimEigo had You're Under Arrest OAV, You're Under Arrest TV, and the single full-length episodes of You're Under Arrest Mini Specials before ADV stepped into the mix. They licensed the mini-episodes from Mini Specials and the movie. However, no one has licensed You're Under Arrest TV 2 nor You're Under Arrest in America and I doubt they ever will.
Espeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
But I like the first series and liked the voices better then the other series Razz. Not being able to see the 2nd season for ages makes me cry.
pknecron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

As for the U.S., it wouldn't surprise me if the 2nd series is never licensed. If the first series didn't sell well enough for MB to try to score the license, then why would other companies want to pick it up?

kusanagi-sama wrote:
This is John Sirabella replying in the AnimeOnDVD thread regarding this:

Quote:

At the cons we said we wanted to do it but it was not definite. I do not remember what exactly we said at AnimeBoston but in the end it will not be us and I am not sure who did pick it up. I found it in my recent trip to Japan that the licensor went with someone else. We gave them our best offer but they went elsewhere.

When we licensed AMG we paid at the height of the bubble and it was a crazy amount of money and hope to just break even by the end of the license. AMG did well if it was 2002 prices but not enuf for 2005 and while it got in places like Walmart do not count it for the future based upon performace. We did not have our A title at the height of the bubble and needed one, so AMG was it. While the bubble and prices have come down alot, it still has not come down to earth and most importantly with Voltron just destroying all our past records that were held by Zim, Kenshin and Berserk, we no longer are worried about the "A" title for anime in 2007. We will still be releasing more anime like Girl Meets Girl, Ranmen Girl (??) and GIRLS HIGH and alot others but it is better to play it smart.

Also right now in Japan the big issue is DRM and Digital rights...so it is getting a little crazy since it seems that Blu Ray and HD DVD are just being jumped over and everyone is talking Digital...

Well anyway sorry we will not be able to give you Season 2 but I am sure the next company will do a great job.

-John Sirabella

So it seems that someone outbid them, we just don't know who yet.

What about this quote? It sounds like they were outbid for it.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
pknecron wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

kusanagi-sama wrote:
This is John Sirabella replying in the AnimeOnDVD thread regarding this:

Quote:

At the cons we said we wanted to do it but it was not definite. I do not remember what exactly we said at AnimeBoston but in the end it will not be us and I am not sure who did pick it up. I found it in my recent trip to Japan that the licensor went with someone else. We gave them our best offer but they went elsewhere.

When we licensed AMG we paid at the height of the bubble and it was a crazy amount of money and hope to just break even by the end of the license. AMG did well if it was 2002 prices but not enuf for 2005 and while it got in places like Walmart do not count it for the future based upon performace. We did not have our A title at the height of the bubble and needed one, so AMG was it. While the bubble and prices have come down alot, it still has not come down to earth and most importantly with Voltron just destroying all our past records that were held by Zim, Kenshin and Berserk, we no longer are worried about the "A" title for anime in 2007. We will still be releasing more anime like Girl Meets Girl, Ranmen Girl (??) and GIRLS HIGH and alot others but it is better to play it smart.

Also right now in Japan the big issue is DRM and Digital rights...so it is getting a little crazy since it seems that Blu Ray and HD DVD are just being jumped over and everyone is talking Digital...

Well anyway sorry we will not be able to give you Season 2 but I am sure the next company will do a great job.

-John Sirabella

So it seems that someone outbid them, we just don't know who yet.

What about this quote? It sounds like they were outbid for it.

Wait, how old is the news that MB has Girls-High, Kashimashi and "Ramen Girl" (what I'm gonna guess is Muteki Kanban Musume a.k.a. Noodle Fighter Miki).

Because that's a little more exciting in my book. Finally, MB goes back to some "B-grade" titles, but ones that I ultimately find more enjoyable (Loooved Girls-High, and am dying to see the other two. I don't know how to explain it, but they're my type of anime). That's my fav. American licensor at work!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:36 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Frankly, the first TV series irritated me a great deal more than it pleased me and when I reviewed it, I gave it a "Rent."

It's not perfect, and I was bothered a little by the slow pace, even when compared to the manga, at first, but it grew on me, and, once Marller joins the fray, it improves greatly. Certainly, I find it more satisfying an adaptation overall than either the OVA or movie (though I still prefer the original "My Heart Iidesenai" theme song for all its seiyuu-poppy saccharine-ness), even if we don't really get to see my favourite Goddess, Peorth, until the episodes that MB won't be bringing us.

Given the choice between slightly-flawed new Goddess and the largely fun-deprived new Tenchi, I'll take new Goddess by a country mile. Or a city mile. Any old mile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pknecron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:52 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Bandai Entertainment's releases tend to be as expensive as Geneon's in Canadian brick-and-mortar retail locations ($35 to $40 CDN).

Try Amazon.ca--the first 3 disks of Eureka Seven cost me about $26 each and my pre-orders for disks 4 and 5 were $23 each. And E7 is one of the hottest titles out there right now... (Disk 4 is $26 now, but Disks 1-3 are about $23 each now. Shipping costs were marginal, and regular shipping arrives in 2-3 business days on average. Though, for you living in Ottawa, and Amazon's warehouse being located in Mississauga, you could probably expect them there overnight.)

I know I may sound like an Ad for Amazon, but I just think they are quality, and I am willing pay a bit more because I trust them, and they have great customer service and fast shipping.
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Wolfe:
Quote:
The fact that they're not releasing season 2 means that it's highly doubtful that another anime distributor here in the states will jump on the bandwagon for Season 2.

Doubtful. Everyone knows it's a big series. It's just a matter of who can best scratch the licensor's back. I'm guessing it'll also wind up with FUNi, though. But it'd be a great opportunity for Animeigo to get something new, if they'd be willing to take it.

It'd be nice to see the return of the original OVA VA's if AnimEigo received the license but I don't think AE would spend the money on new anime titles with the sole exception of (GAG) YAWARA ...

As a former (possibly current) VA for Coastal Carolina Recording, I would love to see the original cast tackel the tv series again. It would definitely be a godsend to have the first new anime series for Coastal to be AMG, kind of a "things come full circle" thing.

The only problem I see with this is that alot of the cast have moved away from the area. But then again, we got everyone back for YUA, so if it happens, we might see the return of the original Bell and Keichi.

And I'm still wanting someone to do YUA S2.....someone....please....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
pknecron wrote:

Try Amazon.ca

Not really an option, I don't have a credit card, and, in my current financial situation, while it's somewhat improved from what it was half a year ago, I'm not in any rush to get one.

I know there are other options for ordering online without a credit card, but they're none too convenient, and I'm a 32-year old old fogey who just prefers the visceral experience of physically browsing DVDs at a brick-and-mortar retail location (especially considering that I live within walking distance of an HMV and a Best Buy and a Future Shop and Ottawa's only anime speciality store).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rageofkyubii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I hope that AMG 2 gets licensed with the same VAs, but I would still be willing to buy AMG 2 even if the voices are different. Its just a great anime.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
GATSU wrote:
How the hell can Voltron outsell Ah My Goddess? I guess for the same reason that Robotech outsold Macross...*sigh*

Its all because of nostalgia and the fact that the names Voltron and Robotech are more recognizable than Go Lion and Macross.

Just like Teknoman, it's a title with a lot of nostalgia pull additionally it's a title that was heavy pushed by Walmart & Fye/Suncoast with a willing audience full of disposable income, 15 eps + extras and remastered Video/audio, neat packaging, with more sets on the way and lastly: it's got a Giant Robot Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
rageofkyubii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Giant Robot animes. They're here to stay. (Like 'em Smile or not Sad )
otimus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
"Also, anyone calling for a 'boycott' of the company over this is ridiculous. Attempting to bring serious financial harm to a company simply for not making choices that please you 100 percent is selfish and tyrranical."

Okay, okay.. I totally agree that anyone wanting to "boycott" MB for this is silly, but saying ANYONE who boycotts a company because they make decisions not in the consumer's interest is SELFISH and TYRRANICAL is insane. When a company works against you, in a capitalist society, about the only message you can send is with your wallet. To suggest that consumers should just bend over and take it at any chance is insane, and uber-capitalistic in the idea.

It's like how a lot of hardcore gamers are currently feeling about Sony. They think the company is out of touch, and making many decisions not for the gamer, so they speak of boycotts and all that fancy shmancyness. Nothing wrong with that. Sony is making decisions that don't please people 100%, and they want to hurt a company financially. There is NOTHING wrong with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
rageofkyubii wrote:
Giant Robot animes. They're here to stay. (Like 'em Smile or not Sad )

I'm one of those that loves them, couldn't you tell Wink Very Happy and will back them up will all my heart (except manga's version of Dangaio Rolling Eyes )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6