• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JASRAC Asks YouTube to Improve Anti-Piracy Measures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Why wait a year, if they did that the anime would pile up and all they have to do is stop when ever a show is licensed. It's because people still upload them even after licensing that causes problems. Wink
starcade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The fact is that YouTube is probably going ot have to face serious liabilities from both sides of the Pacific before this goes anywhere.

I got into about a three-week flamewar on Usenet, basically saying that this is going to fundamentally change anime in America, increasing it's price significantly due to the efforts which will need to be made to sue people to get this stuff off of YouTube, BitTorrent, etc. etc. etc.

I put the over/under on Google getting sued at about March 1, 2007.
starcade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Why wait a year, if they did that the anime would pile up and all they have to do is stop when ever a show is licensed. It's because people still upload them even after licensing that causes problems. Wink

This isn't going to stop until people get sued and put in jail over it. I've seen long-licensed animes on YouTube, and nothing appears to be done to stop it.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Spider wrote:
Some solutions could end up taking away 'too much' from what YouTube 'is'.
Thats a question to ask: What makes YouTube so great?

Spider wrote:
It all comes down to making it hard/frustrating for Uploaders and Viewers of illegal content, without making it inconvenient for legitimate users.

You've kind of created a conundrum there. If you remove all the copyrighted content on Youtube, and make it harder for people to upload it, Youtube ceases to have a reason to exist. Another user puts it best:

Tyrenol wrote:
YouTube removes all the stuff owned by the Japanese. Like it had been removing copyrighted material from other companies in the US and abroad. This will literally destroy YouTube since all that will be left are a bunch of retards and camwhores.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Well the only time I'll watch a fansub is when I feel like watching an episode of a show in my interest that isn't in the U.S. yet. I would also watch a dub in my interest if I miss an episode of something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
A couple of things.

1st: YouTube removes all the stuff owned by the Japanese. Like it had been removing copyrighted material from other companies in the US and abroad. This will literally destroy YouTube since all that will be left are a bunch of retards and camwhores.

You do realize that US companies have already started uploading their own content, right? I hardly doubt that YouTube will be destroyed.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:

You do realize that US companies have already started uploading their own content, right?

Submitted for example.

Not to mention...
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
Isn't there someway for anime companies and the like to treat YT like a tv channel. Give them licenses to air the vid and then we'll pay you to ad money or something?

I don't know how that whole business thing works, but I'm sure that the people who run their movie trailers on youtube aren't doing it for free. Surely some anime companies can follow suit.

I heard that the Scary Movie 4 film only sold as much as it did because people were able to see the full 1:30 minute trailer on YT, when they wanted, and they could send it to friends who then saw it, and you could upload it to your myspace or xanga (if you're 30), and so on and so on.

And what better way to check the ratings of your anime? There's a view count right at the bottom of the vid and they can real-time check the popularity of the anime that is being viewed instead of dumb polls and such. Not only that, but the comments at the bottom can show immediate fan response (crucial to first episodes IMO).

It's easy enough to see if one video is garnering 70,000 views a day and then someone can go, hey! that vid is more popular than half of the cartoons/shows(?) we’re running. Let’s grab that and make a profit off of advertising.

But alas some execs are blind, deaf, and dumb.

OK I work in PRS which is the UK equivalent of JASRAC. For anything with music made my Japanese artists/composers (virtually everything then), there is a huge license fee the publishers and writers need to play JASRAC before that can even happen. I remember an incident where one of our writers had a problem releasing songs she co wrote with Rie Fu, in Japan, because of how music is brought out in Japan. In a nutshell, the reason why you can't have a tv channel broadcasting anime, its because their membership of JASRAC doesn't allow it (this is partly the reason some productions have to have their music taken out and re-editted with their own music)

This isn't regarding anime in general, this is Japanese content with music from their writers.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Zoe wrote:

You do realize that US companies have already started uploading their own content, right?

Submitted for example.

Not to mention...

First off, the top link is just trailers. Big deal. Secondly, the other link is on Google Video and it costs money. If you put copyrighted stuff on Youtube but charged people to watch it I think the other companies would have less of a problem. No one would use Youtube anymore, but...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I find YouTube to be, if not a completely guilt-free, certainly a guilt-reduced way to watch fansubs since I'm not really saving anything to the hard drive (yeah, I know it stays in the cache for a while, but I don't do anything to keep them). I know there's absolutely no legal justification for YouTube not to do everything possible to keep fansubs off its server, but I consider watching fansubs at that site to be about morally equivalent to watching fansubs at an anime club (as long as it's not the sort of anime club that distributes burned copies of things).

All I can say is that, of the series I've watched at YouTube and liked, I've already started buying the legitimate Region 1 DVDs of one (Strawberry Marshmallow), and will buy at least three others if/when they become available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Well the only time I'll watch a fansub is when I feel like watching an episode of a show in my interest that isn't in the U.S. yet. I would also watch a dub in my interest if I miss an episode of something.

I agree with this in a lotta respects. For one example, if it weren't for users on Youtube who uploaded the subbed version, I never would've seen the first episode of .hack//ROOTS since I missed it's ungodly-hour premiere in English. But it's not like I won't watch things legally, only that I have a lotta restrictions on what I can see normally (on TV and DVD rentals and such). If ll these anime were available to rent for a cheap price somewhere, or were being aired on TV (not just On-Demand) I'd most likely watch far less of it on Youtube.

And yeah, no offense to the peopl who've done a decent job of it, but when I'm searching for a specific song on there -- I don't wanna run into a half-assed homemade video of somebody singing their favorite song (with someone who aparently was high when he/she/it decided to film their friend).
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
Successful_Troll wrote:
Nobuyuki wrote:
Zoe wrote:

Submitted for example.

Not to mention...

First off, the top link is just trailers. Big deal.

I wasn't even thinking of anime companies when I wrote that comment. NBC has close to 200 videos up ranging from clips from shows to original videos (gotta love Bill the Promo Guy Smile ). CBS has even more. You also have actors (Kal Penn, Chez Tam and spoiler[Brandon Routh]) and musicians (The Black Eyed Peas) using it as a forum for their works.

Sometimes the best way to control things is to embrace it. Unfortunately I don't really see this happening for the Japanese companies because of the language barrier.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:47 am Reply with quote
Still, I rather they cleanup multiple files first. Then work on getting the other stuff squared away. I mean, some clips have 30 multiples on the site, when one will suffice.

Case in point: a skit from the Japanese TV Show People Art Grand Prix.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Matrix+Ping+Pong&search=Search
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
YouTube simply has to enforce it's own policy:

Quote:
In connection with User Submissions, you further agree that you will not: (i) submit material that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein;

I think the only way this will end is when JASRAC goes after YouTube for not doing so. They could easily sue for ever incident in a class action suit in a multi-million dollar lawsuit. This would not only force YouTube to go after the violators but disuade other similar sites from allowing illegal material to be posted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4