• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Terror in Resonance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Funnily enough I think Kids on the Slope is the show that Watanabe contributed the least. It's really is pretty much a very straightforward and not particularly creative retelling of the manga (down to the jazz music used... I've seen people praising Watanabe for his awesome taste in music in this show, but actually he just followed the manga), and Watanabe's talents were, I think, mostly used to hold the story together as they cut and streamlined the source material in order to fit into 12 episodes. Directing-wise it was a surprisingly soulless affair, saved by the great voice acting and the genuinely good story... I remember reading an interview with Watanabe (at ANN, I think) where he seems to have implied that he did Kids on the Slope because it was some kind of contractual obligation for him in order to get Zankyou no Terror greenlighted.

Interesting. Though it wouldn't surprise me too much. It is his only adaptation to date, right? So naturally he wouldn't have as much of an impact on the final project. I haven't seen it since it came out, but I actually thought the direction was pretty strong though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4