• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Orange (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have to say, I'm very curious as to how this will end. It's a little hard to imagine that Kakeru2 is going to survive, but if he doesn't, I wonder what the show's take away would be? Maybe something like, we couldn't stop the inevitable, but at least this time we got a chance. And Kakeru2's time with us was better than the original Kakeru's. We'll see next week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
More than just plain sympathy, my take was of terrible ways to deal with things. His mother moved to a different city and threw out his soccer equipment because she thought that it would help him after being bullied. But rather than sit down and talk to him about it, giving him respect he deserved, she made the decision for him, making him frustrated, which came back and made her feel worse. And then he kind of does the same thing back on his new friends, deciding for them that he should distance themselves, actually not taking into consideration how they feel about him. His Tokyo friends also cared more about removing blame from themselves rather than actually talking things out.

While I call out the above things, I don't think of it as totally evil, but stupid human things that are kind of selfish. I have before talked with my mother about incidents that were recent at the time talking about it where I found out that she had been close to committing suicide, like how I got a message on my phone out of the blue saying she cared about us. Hearing the reasons for why suicide was being considered really frustrated me because she was going to make such a decision without actually talking about the problem, that might have been a big thing to her but I could help with at least saying that all that stuff is not worth doing that sort of thing after I had listened to it.

There is a saying that you can only help those who help themselves, but despite how it might sound it can apply quite strongly to people who think that they are being selfishly selfless.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
My sympathies Dusky.

I hope that the next episode, whether Kakeru survives or not, will be more about changing the way these high schoolers deal with problems and how to mature.
The whole idea of 'saving' Kakeru while following a recipe (the letters) was questioned before, but should be stomped to the ground somehow.

I find it interesting that many people have confidence issues even though they've had a pretty good childhood (like Naho, who it seems, has nice parents and friends) and on the other hand, other people have the strength to be and like themselves, better themselves and go through harsh times, when they've had a very rough start in life. It shows how different people are in flexibility.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm very sorry to hear your mom has had those kinds of feelings in the past, DuskyPredator. I certainly hope she never acts on them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know how to react to the sympathies. I mean she is currently okay, and others have had to deal with actually losing a parent to suicide, or had one with repeated and or acted on attempts. To me, I sounded a bit like I was being selfish in making it about myself. Others who have had it tougher should be getting sympathise, but that only really digs in my opinion that those left behind by a suicide are being affected by a particularly selfish act of one who performed it. Letting it get to the point of something bad is frustrating, and yet I am the one who is almost like a hermit/shut-in
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
I hope you weren't made uncomfortable by our comments. I think it was pretty brave of you to share that experience and it was an appropriate thread to do it in considering Orange's subject matter. It's certainly no surprise that the show's content would lead you to have the thoughts you expressed here.

In a literal sense, suicide is a selfish act in that the person who commits it does ensure those left behind who loved/cared about them will feel pain. A friend of my mother's had a son who committed suicide even though he knew it was very likely his teenage son would be the one to discover his body (it was).

However, I've come to have a slightly different view of suicide over the years. I consider myself to have a pretty decent imagination, but I have to confess I don't think I can really imagine the mindset of somebody who is in such despair that, to them, the only conceivable answer is to die (an exception, of course, is somebody who wants to be euthanized for medical reasons). I think a lot of people who commit suicide are suffering from mental illness that over-rides rational thinking such as what the consequences for those left behind will be.

Depression, for example, can be a terminal disease, it's just that the terminal part comes about from the action of the depressed person. Our own minds can turn against us. So I'm not sure how fair it is to tag a person who is suffering from some kind of intense mental anguish - so intense it will over-ride the incredibly power survival instinct - as being selfish when I fthink it is an impulse they really can't control.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think a lot of people who commit suicide are suffering from mental illness that over-rides rational thinking such as what the consequences for those left behind will be.

I believe it's often an impulsive act. In fact many that fail in their attempt are left with immediate regret. People who jump off a bridge might immediately feel regret about their decision. Kind of horrifying to think about it that while falling a person realizes how irreversible their action is.

"I instantly realized that everything in my life that I’d thought was unfixable was totally fixable—except for having just jumped."

From: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2003/10/13/jumpers

Dusky, I hope I'm not touching a sore point here or anything. I wouldn't want to appear like some kind of doomsayer.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Did he really leave to commit suicide in the flashback in this episode that showed the alternate timeline. I have mixed feelings about if he did or didn't. There's the part where he found the truth about what his mother had for thoughts and why she was doing what she was doing. I might need to go back and watch the episode where his grandmother gives them the note he left behind. Since that was something not shown in this flashback. Need to remember what all was said in it, since it is basically now revealed that he probably wrote it right after he read what his mother had in the draft that she never sent.
Though I think I recall that it said that he suddenly turned in front of it. Which could be that he just needed to get out at first and was riding to think, then with his thoughts going he then saw the lights on himself and then decided to do it with the thoughts of "would something good have happened tomorrow?" "I guess none of it really matters."

The "sending a letter through the Bermuda triangle's black hole" seems kind of crazy at the end of the episode though. Like when I heard that I was like "really? That's what they're going with for how they sent the letters back" sure there could of been other ways they could of went with in magically sending the letters back but yeah.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Eh, I have to admit this didn't really grab my attention. But that's simply due to my tastes, not because of the fairly ludicrous time travel or the supposedly inconsistent animation quality. I like shows that are in-your-face with romance, drama, explosions and blood and guts. Shows that almost scream at your face "Look at how awesome/sad/whatever this show is!" Shoujo doesn't tend to be like that. There seemed to be a bit of hype surrounding this show which is why I gave it a chance, but ultimately this ended up being a reminder to myself that shoujo isn't typically my genre.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (Finale)

I enjoyed it. Just finished watching it, it did answer a few of my questions about what was going on with it. One of the things that would of been interesting would be that Suwa had shown the pictures to the others of the other timeline. Since he was the only one I think that received pictures from that world into this world. Though that could cause some issues, maybe if the show got to the point to where they were all 10 years in the future back on the mountain he showed them. In the movie we might get some insight onto what he did with the pictures if anything.

Due to how Naho is I think I might enjoy the movie a bit more since it will be from Suwa's side of things.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I rated this show Decent. I wasn't sure if Kakeru2 was going to survive (although I figured there was a greater chance he would versus not) but I was certainly surprised when the others revealed the existence of the letters to him. I'm also surprised he wasn't more, "uh, you a-holes knew my mom was going to commit suicide - you know, the defining trauma of my life - and you invited me to join you after school that day ANYWAY???" The show has always glossed over why they collectively ignored that advice from the future. I suppose one could argue that back then, none of the others knew they were all getting letters and didn't know if the letters were legit. But still...

Seems to me that Suwa gets boned in either time period. Sure in Original World he does marry Naho, but it is with the knowledge that back in highschool Naho was more into Kakeru and raises the question of whether it was only Kakeru's death cleared the way for him. Plus, like the others, he still has to live with the regret that they couldn't save Kakeru. And in World 2, although we aren't shown the future, there is the distinct possibility that he doesn't even get to marry Naho, that his only satisfaction is the knowledge that in a parallel world he is married to her. Weird.

Anyway, that all ignores the fact that a show like this might actually be a pretty effective suicide prevention strategy, which I certainly hope is the case. There's no question it hammers home the message: the people you'd be leaving behind will really be bummed.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Well that...was interesting.

For most parts, I think they got the usual Kakeru and Naho drama/chemistry right for the finale. Such a long embrace but it was needed for both to express their feelings.

For most parts, this was actually pretty faithful to the manga, not much change in dialogues either. Pacing is slow but that was expected given the content didn't have many chapters to begin with. Most of the dialogues and narratives are what I enjoyed the most from the show.

Wish they put effort into the animation at some episodes though. Rating it as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
I kept up with the reviews and watched the last couple of episodes. I'm glad I didn't bother with the whole series, because even in the last episodes where she'd improved 100% over the first two, I still can't stand Naho.

The only thing I really want to know is why is it called "Orange"?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

About as fitting finale as it needed to have. I know that the time travel thing kind of cluttered the episode, I think some of it was it was important to remove the idea that you really can change the past, that a regret could be worse because you agonise over not being able to change it. Instead it could be more that you could change someone else's future, using you own regrets you can help someone else overcome the hump a bit. I think depression and suicide were handled pretty tastefully, I already expressed some of my thoughts against people who hurt those who are left behind, but all up I think that this was a fin thing to include. I actually like Suwa a lot for actually getting a little stern there with Kakeru.

I think that it is important to talk about the characters. Specifically first that Naho is not entirely likable, which not that she is a bad person, just that she was so frustrating to watch as she failed to decisively act. I do think it is understandable, I can sympathise with the feeling of knowing you have to do something because you know what will happen otherwise but just not being able to overcome your insecurities, but it was just really frustrating to watch. A number of the other characters were fun though. Suwa was the man, and it kind of makes you feel sorry for the guy. Azusa was fun, she dressed a little much, but this made her character better in how it empathised her bubbly and good nature, she had a personality. Hagita was also good fun, can we call him MVP for head resting and bike sabotage? Hagita acted both as a voice of reason, but also times of acting "weird" like wanting last place made him fresh, and I could just watch a show with him and Azusa. Takako kind of really did not really do much apart from being kind of cool, I would say she was fairly cool nonetheless. And I don't think that there is much I can say about Kakeru that has not been said on the other themes of the show, or already done.

I would probably say that Orange was not something that directly appealed to me, I am sure there are others that would enjoy its style and shoujo genre more. The make or break for me with these sorts of shows is an interesting lead, and I don't think that Naho was that. But I would not say that I hate it. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time.

In regards to why it is called "Orange", I think it might have something to do with the sunset they were watching at the end of the episode, like changing or ending times.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think Naho even referenced the word orange when she talked about wanting to go to that certain mountain to see the sakura trees when the sky is orange at sunset.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5