• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: High School of the Dead Manga Creator Daisuke Satō Passes Away at 52

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
As one of my all time favorite series it's so sad that the author has passed away, I was always hoping one day he would resume the series.

I still pray that Shouji Sato some day continues the series since he has experience as the author of his other series Triage X.

Even if the quality of the series goes down a bit as long as he finishes it eventually.
meronichan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I never read HotD (not really my kind of work), but it is disheartening to hear when a popular public figure passes. I still haven't quite gotten over Satoshi Kon. R.I.P.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hope you all remember this when you're reading Berserk,Hunter x Hunter,Bastard,Nana,X...they could all have the same miserable fate as this one...
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like HOTD...like at all, but it's always sad to hear when an author passes away before completing their story. My condolences.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Damn, came out of nowhere Sad

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Very sad that he died so young... Sad
Rest in peace, Mr. Satō-san. High School of the Dead is truly a fun [and frightening] manga that will continue to be enjoyed by many.

Yeah, was always hoping for more.

Dfens wrote:
As one of my all time favorite series it's so sad that the author has passed away, I was always hoping one day he would resume the series.

I still pray that Shouji Sato some day continues the series since he has experience as the author of his other series Triage X.

Even if the quality of the series goes down a bit as long as he finishes it eventually.

Agreed.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace.

I guess this means HOTD will forever be incomplete, that's a shame.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Is his brother going to continue it? Or did he keep the plot elements he had planned from him?
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I know life expectancy has increased, but I don't exactly think of 52 as "young". That's middle aged and if you aren't taking good care of your health and your body, 50 is around the time you start feeling the effects. Or around the age when any diseases that run in your family might start popping up. And from what i've been led to believe mangaka don't always live the healthiest of life styles.
Yuuna Kirie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Sad he was sooo young i loved the mangs and the show i really did hope there would come more manga and anime sniffrest in pease Daisuke Satō i wish the family well i give my heart to you all god bless sooo shockt Anime cry
WhiteOrochi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Damn. Wasn't expecting this. I had no clue he was in his 50s. He went way too soon. This is probably the reason why HOTD didn't resume serialization after chapter 30. It was one of my favorite horror manga to the point that I even wrote my first posted fanfictions about it. What a shame that it (most likely) won't continue now. Cut short just like Kaze no Stigma and several other under appreciated gems. Ah well. Rest in peace, Sato-san. I'll miss you deeply. Crying or Very sad
Minor Trivia note: Daisuke provided the moaning effects for a zombified student called Okada in the anime adaptation's second episode.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:
So, let me get this straight. Highschool of the Dead is known in Japan as...Highschool of the Dead?

In all seriousness though, you might want to fix that little redundancy in your article.

It's a quirk of the Encyclopedia linking system, but it's been fixed.

For the record, both Fujimishobo and Yen Press have the manga title "Highschool" in one word. The anime adaptation has the title "High School" in two words on both the US edition by Sentai Filmworks and Japanese edition by Rondo Robe, although the latter uses "Highschool" in catalog text.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
It could be interesting if a season 2 adapted the remainder of the unfinished manga, then added its own proper ending.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked like everyone else. Now I assume whenever there's a long hiatus, it's for health reasons.

Also want to say guys, "ischemic heart disease" is just the fancy name for regular ol' heart disease caused by plaque buildup. My neighbor and some relatives died from it at various ages so, but it's preventable and even reversible, so take of your health yall!
sniper23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
Requiescat in Pace...
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Unbelievable. RIP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5