• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Skip and Loafer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moony_badger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:21 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely my favorite show of the season, it feels like a warm hug. All the characters are so well written, I can't even pick a favorite!
TheWayEyeRoll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:35 am Reply with quote
Two very interesting sequences this week: the travel scenes at the beginning and then the watermelon scene. Most anime would have skipped the travel scenes or only shown a plane taking off/landing. It seems the long build up was just so Mitsumi could have that moment looking out at the plane upon arrival.

The watermelon scene was beautiful. Just wondering if there was any meaning to the uneaten watermelon being left behind. The camera lingered on the bowl at the end enough that I thought maybe the show was trying to convey something.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:14 am Reply with quote
TheWayEyeRoll wrote:
Two very interesting sequences this week: the travel scenes at the beginning and then the watermelon scene. Most anime would have skipped the travel scenes or only shown a plane taking off/landing. It seems the long build up was just so Mitsumi could have that moment looking out at the plane upon arrival.

The watermelon scene was beautiful. Just wondering if there was any meaning to the uneaten watermelon being left behind. The camera lingered on the bowl at the end enough that I thought maybe the show was trying to convey something.

Agreed, and i just also want to add; Until Mitsumi is back in Tokyo, there is no soundtrack music. We still have the opening music, but otherwise the time she goes home has a kind of comfortable stillness and silence. Its EXCELLENT direction and mood making. Really added to what you mentioned about the visual direction. This is an anime on a budget, but this was used so incredibly effectively that the limits became tools in the directors arsenal rather than a hinderance.

2 points/questions/thoughts on Ep8 and 9.
*Nao "disguising" herself as a man was the only question mark I had in regards to her trans nature (For lack of better phrasing). I wasnt sure if that was frowned upon or whatever. I mean its an excellent way to get Mitsumi not to notice her, but I just wasnt sure where the trans community is on it. I am happy to be enlightened by any in the know on the subject.

*Was Episode 9 out first time in Shimas head? I know we have seem from his POV before, but I couldnt think of another instance of hearing his thoughts.

Great couple of episodes!!
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:28 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
*Nao "disguising" herself as a man was the only question mark I had in regards to her trans nature (For lack of better phrasing). I wasnt sure if that was frowned upon or whatever. I mean its an excellent way to get Mitsumi not to notice her, but I just wasnt sure where the trans community is on it. I am happy to be enlightened by any in the know on the subject.

It really depends on the person. I personally would never do it under any circumstances and am at a point where I couldn't even if I wanted to. Some people are more fine with it. It's really just dependent on the individual - based on how people tend to react to Nao in public she didn't get a huge amount of physical changes from her HRT (in my case for example outside of some voice issues basically nobody can tell just by looking at me) so she has the option of doing so more readily available and may be more comfortable doing it on occasion because of that.

Last edited by Azure Chrysanthemum on Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:22 pm Reply with quote
TheWayEyeRoll wrote:

I interpreted it as being symbolic of how you can't quite have everything. Mitsumi is at a point where she has to make some choices, and those impact her life in various ways. She can sit home and eat all of the melon or she can go out with her friends, but she can't fully have both at once. It's kind of a metaphor for growing up, in my over analytical brain.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Azure Chrysanthemum wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:
*Nao "disguising" herself as a man was the only question mark I had in regards to her trans nature (For lack of better phrasing)

It really depends on the person. I personally would never do it under any circumstances and am at a point where I couldn't even if I wanted to. Some people are more fine with it. It's really just dependent on the individual - based on how people tend to react to Nao in public she didn't get a huge amount of physical changes from her HRT (in my case for example outside of some voice issues basically nobody can tell just by looking at me) so she has the option of doing so more readily available and may be more comfortable doing it on occasion because of that.

And she may naturally flow between the two presentations (is that the right terminology?), I've known a couple of trans individuals that did so. In my (disclaimer: very limited) experience, there can be a spectrum - it's not always a hard switch where you're one or the other.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:30 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:
*Nao "disguising" herself as a man was the only question mark I had in regards to her trans nature (For lack of better phrasing)

And she may naturally flow between the two presentations (is that the right terminology?), I've known a couple of trans individuals that did so. In my (disclaimer: very limited) experience, there can be a spectrum - it's not always a hard switch where you're one or the other.

Yep! That's common especially with folks who are genderfluid. Based on what was shown it doesn't seem to be the case with Nao since she seems to consistently present feminine and with feminine pronouns outside of that one specific instance, but it's entirely possible. Gender and presentation are all a spectrum after all.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
TheWayEyeRoll wrote:

I interpreted it as being symbolic of how you can't quite have everything. Mitsumi is at a point where she has to make some choices, and those impact her life in various ways. She can sit home and eat all of the melon or she can go out with her friends, but she can't fully have both at once. It's kind of a metaphor for growing up, in my over analytical brain.

No, I got the same kind of feelings from it, too. Also the ephemeral nature of life, and how time seems to move faster and faster as we grow up. The way the episodes have mostly been two chapters/storylines worked in an effective way here: We get the watermelon scene, then the commercial/title card, a brief beach scene, and then we're back in Tokyo; Summer break is a memory. We the viewers are still thinking about the watermelon(or at least I was), but Mitsumi has already moved on ahead of us. "I cried a little, but that's all in the past".
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:07 am Reply with quote
Yep! That's common especially with folks who are genderfluid.

Genderfluid, that was the word I was looking for! I just couldn't remember it. Thanks.

Last edited by DerekL1963 on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:19 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:

Thank you for the insight! Smile
i assume because she had male ID as well that it may be she is unable to legally transition? Im unsure as the laws on that in Japan.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:36 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:

i assume because she had male ID as well that it may be she is unable to legally transition? Im unsure as the laws on that in Japan.

Human Rights Watch actually has an article on it from 2019, in general it's not great: https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/03/19/interview-invisible-struggle-japans-transgender-population

A quick glance through and I couldn't find any mentions of amendments so unfortunately that's likely what still stands.

The ID was actually a nice little detail, I know at least for us trans women having IDs like that are one of the main reasons we might have to "boymode" in some circumstances just to be able to get through certain official things.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:54 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:

Human Rights Watch actually has an article on it from 2019, in general it's not great: https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/03/19/interview-invisible-struggle-japans-transgender-population

A quick glance through and I couldn't find any mentions of amendments so unfortunately that's likely what still stands.

The ID was actually a nice little detail, I know at least for us trans women having IDs like that are one of the main reasons we might have to "boymode" in some circumstances just to be able to get through certain official things.

I'm really orry to hear that. And again; thanks for the insight! Smile
Birriaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
TheWayEyeRoll wrote:

No, I got the same kind of feelings from it, too. Also the ephemeral nature of life, and how time seems to move faster and faster as we grow up. The way the episodes have mostly been two chapters/storylines worked in an effective way here: We get the watermelon scene, then the commercial/title card, a brief beach scene, and then we're back in Tokyo; Summer break is a memory. We the viewers are still thinking about the watermelon(or at least I was), but Mitsumi has already moved on ahead of us. "I cried a little, but that's all in the past".

The watermelon scene was a metaphor for Mitsumi realizing that she is starting to move forward. It’s been only 4 months and her circle of friends at home is the same as it has always been (minus Fumi dating), but that’s precisely the point: she has changed a lot in such a short time and going back home to what feels comfortable only serves to drive that point home.

It’s a solid commentary on growing up / leaving the nest in a way that can only be understood by people who have actually experienced it in that precise way. She didn’t even go back home for GW, which I thought as a wow moment.

Also VERY happy to see her tell her friends at home that she gave up on covering her accent, it’s a bit of home that should accompany for the rest of her life, no matter where she ends up at.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Finally watched Episode 9 today so I was able to read this review Anime smile + sweatdrop (not that I was worried too much about spoilers, being a manga reader)

This series continues to be very well paced in anime form. In particular, I liked how Shima and Mitsumi's zoo trip was put together in the same episode as the sleepover, since it nicely encapsulates the whole "Mika meets Nao-chan" mini-arc. It's clear that Nao-chan sees something of herself in Mika, and their little friendship of sorts is one of my favorite things in Skip and Loafer.

Episode 9 reminded me that, oh yeah, the school festival is coming up. I relate to Shima quite a bit (for various reasons), so I tend to get anxious at the parts where he gets anxious... like the end of that episode. Hang in there, Shima-kun!
moony_badger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Shima singing the song from the musical to cheer up Mitsumi was really cute, but I was also like nooooo Shima don't treat Mitsumi the same as your mother by using your acting to cheer her up that's unhealthy projection and a result of your childhood trauma
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5