• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Insomniacs After School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
I think you got the wrong thumbnail for this episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Guess Ganta didn't learn his lesson about not counting too much on things you try to plan. Looks like Isaki's jerkwad sister will step in to teach him again.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Ganta isn't so much distant as his dad but just awkward because they care about each other but the absence of his mom impacts both of them.

Surprise beach episode! Heck, even Shiromaru wore a swimsuit even if she was too lazy to go to the beach! And poor Kanikawa getting hit on by grade schoolers.

I'm suddenly rethinking Isaki's whole fashion sense and how body conscious she must be after seeing all those scars on her. She still looks good in a bikini.

Ha ha...these two were so happy at figuring out a way of cutting down on costs by basically shacking up at her grandma's place and eloping for a honeymoon tour, and really thought they could get away with no adult supervision. And then in comes Isaki's big sister! Oh this should be fun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I think I must be being really extra dense here, but I couldn't figure out how her suit was depicted showing through her wet t-shirt. Like, why only little blue triangles way above her boobs? It looked like her bikini bra had slipped up and she just didn't bother pulling it back down. Since I don't think that's what was going on, wouldn't the blue show more through the parts of the shirt pressing most against her body, i.e., the main curve of her breasts, rather than the area just below her collar bones? If there's another way to look at this, please tell me, because it's bugging me, and sometimes I have trouble parsing what I'm actually seeing in photos and drawings (and why I don't often read manga). Smile
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's unknown if Ganta's reluctance to rely on his dad stems from a stubborn sense of pride, or if he blames his dad for what happened, or perhaps a combination of both.

Uh, neither? I think it's very clear to me that Ganta is doing that typical Japanese thing of not wanting to be a burden (you know, meiwaku). To be clear, he lied about why he wanted that game console and his dad went above and beyond and bought him a ridiculously expensive camera. So Ganta's burden seems to be from his own guilt, and not wanting to burden his father any more than he has to.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:30 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I would prefer Ganta's mom being dead because that seems more preferable than her just up and abandoning her family. No wonder their family is the way it is. Ganta's emotional trauma that she left while he was asleep is probably a big reason why he can't sleep in general.

Haya really bickers and messes with her sister and while that's partially because of lingering resentment from all the special treatment Isaki received when they were kids, it's also her own way of showing sisterly concern by treating Isaki normally. How very like sisters. And she judged Ganta well for being a respectable guy who doesn't look down on Isaki and who Isaki can trust.

Can't wait to see what these two get up to now that they're alone...
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We know Ganta's insomnia has to, in some way, be tied to his mother leaving because that seems to be the main crux of every negative thought that this boy seems to have about himself and the way he goes about things.

Didn't his father say she left while they were asleep? Wouldn't be surprised if that's the crux of it.

It seemed like Haya, from her reaction, was implying that Isaki's condition is unfortunately not resolved the way Isaki made it seem when she told Ganta about it. She's probably still holding some things back for now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, this ep hit close to home. I didn't anticipate the reason for Ganta crushing his heels because I once worked with an adult Japanese man who did that exact same thing to his loafers. He said it was more comfortable and easier to get them on and off. Smile So I was kinda surprised that Ganta's teacher was making a big deal out of it.

But when the real reason was revealed, I almost flinched. No, my parents didn't abandon me, but I did have issues around buying new clothes and shoes, like that was too much of an extravagance, even if I was outgrowing them or putting patches on patches. I don't know where that came from, like, I don't recall my parents ever complaining about buying me necessary stuff, but it's still an issue for me even when I'm paying. Weird.

I still think Haya is pretty evil, but she's wasn't quite as obnoxious as she was when first introduced. And it was good of her to bomb off on her own, so I don't hate her now.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:18 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
We know Ganta's insomnia has to, in some way, be tied to his mother leaving because that seems to be the main crux of every negative thought that this boy seems to have about himself and the way he goes about things.

Didn't his father say she left while they were asleep? Wouldn't be surprised if that's the crux of it.

It seemed like Haya, from her reaction, was implying that Isaki's condition is unfortunately not resolved the way Isaki made it seem when she told Ganta about it. She's probably still holding some things back for now.

Yeah I came here to mention what his dad had said as well; she left him while he was asleep at night. Thats definitely the core of why he doesnt sleep I think.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Damn, seems like Ganta's mother just "noped" right out of there all of a sudden.

They're still awkward teens, so I guess it's not too surprising, but considering how they've cuddled up before and gotten a great nights sleep together, I was a little surprised they didn't try something similar again.

Definitely an awkward kiss, but not unbelievable for it to happen in that situation. Ganta just literally walking straight into the ocean was a good gag though Laughing
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
They're so cute and I want them to be happy forever.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah, geez... my poor old-man heart. These two are such adorable dorks.

The stupid photograph game and Magari's giggles from behind the screen are a low-key highlight. Ganta falling into the sea is so stupid and cliche and kinda perfect. Their gentle holiday lifestyle is so... I'm happy for them.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Man, poor Ganta. To wake up and find yourself alone and wondering where your mom went (not realizing she basically abandoned you) has got to be awful. Seems like his mom was just too overworked with all the house chores, his dad hardly being around, and everything else going on in their life.

Ganta and Isaki were radiating such amazing young couple energy in this episode. Totally made that kiss feel earned, especially coming after Ganta saying he's always worried something bad is going to happen when he wakes up tomorrow because of what happened to his mom. But Isaki has given him something to look forward too.

Guess we're closing out this trip with a confession!
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:04 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
They're still awkward teens, so I guess it's not too surprising, but considering how they've cuddled up before and gotten a great nights sleep together, I was a little surprised they didn't try something similar again.

I think there's two main reasons they didn't. First, the previous times were pretty much entirely accident of circumstance, not something either of them deliberately decided to do. And since they're not really an item yet, neither would think it's especially appropriate to suggest they sleep together, even in the purely going to sleep in the same place sense. Second is that I think they're trying to prove, perhaps to themselves as much as Isaki's sister or any other adults, that they're genuinely there for Astronomy Club business and not to get up to... er, different kinds of nocturnal activities... so they're maintaining a clear separation.

Aside from yeah, them just being awkward teens.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know I would miss the friend group so much until they showed up and helped liven things up. They're as entertaining to watch as the romance between Isaki and Ganta.

This doesn't feel like a YLIA type show so I feel like Isaki is just really self-conscious about how long she's going to live because of her health problems and not because she will actually die young.

Big Sis just screwed them all over, huh? Well, Ganta knows a confession is waiting at the end of this trip, so no wonder he wants to end it properly even if it means "kidnapping" Isaki. I'm not sure her parents will appreciate it, but...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5