• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:01 am Reply with quote
Even BBC posted the news. Wow.

68 feels really young in light of how long people are living now. I'm sorry to hear that he passed but hope it was quick and painless.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:02 am Reply with quote
Ah, geez. This is just awful news.

I wasn't much of a fan of the DBZ anime when it was part of the Toonami era, but I thoroughly enjoyed the original Dragon Ball manga a few years later via Vizbig editions and Sand Land as it serialized in US Shonen Jump. Blue Dragon and Dragon Quest 8's character designs are also some of his work that I really enjoyed.

I really didn't expect this news so soon. He's way too young.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:02 am Reply with quote
Wow… This legitimately hurts. At 35 years old, and having seen 1,000+ anime titles within my 25 years of fandom, no series had an impact on me like the DB/Z/GT metaseries. The action, adventure, and character interactions of that show made my childhood and early teenage years, and still hold a special place for me, along with an entire generation of people worldwide. Now, that I think about it, he birthed and influenced an entire genre that extends to this very day. The shonen tournament formula created by Akira Toriyama is why we have Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Hunter X Hunter, Fairy Tale, One Punch Man, etc.

Rest in peace to Akira. He brought joy to many with his creation. My condolences to the Toriyama family.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:10 am Reply with quote
While my Dragon Ball history is admittedly more sparse, knowing most of what I know through childhood snippets of through fan osmosis, his influence on not only manga & anime but pop culture itself really cannot be overstated. It's the sort of impact that is not only undeniable but hard to grasp.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:14 am Reply with quote
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!! Toriyama-sensei, you were the very beginning of my fandom. Rest in paradise
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:16 am Reply with quote
Very tragic day for a lot of people today, both Dragon Ball fans, Dragon Quest fans, and a lot of shounen fans who got grown on his works in general worldwide.

Rest in peace, legend among legends, Toriyama-sensei.

Last edited by WANNFH on Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:16 am Reply with quote
I can't believe it. It's like a pillar of my childhood suddenly disappearing right out under me. Toriyama was such a huge influence on my anime fandom and personal creativity over almost 3 decades, it's difficult to imagine that he could be gone so soon. What unbelievably heartbreaking news.

Rest in peace to a legend. Sad
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:17 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
The way my mouth just fell open reading the English press release... I'm just so shocked and stunned over this sudden loss. Dragonball Z was essentially my gateway into anime, as it was for many others. I owe basically my entire love of anime to this man (and Toonami, for airing the series), so to find out he has passed on... I just can't believe it.

I posted this somewhere else, but I'll post it again: I'm so sad that you're no longer here, but thank you for what you left behind. Rest in peace.

I completely agree with you that DBZ is an gateway to anime in general and it was one of my own as an kid.
Turtleboy76

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:19 am Reply with quote
Yep, that one hurt. Man Oda and Kishimoto's statements on the matter almost caused tears
faboo95

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:21 am Reply with quote
I expected to see this news pop up eventually, but I'm shocked that it's come up so soon and abrupt. It can't be overstated how influential his work was and I'm sure is a huge reason why many of us are into anime and manga today. I still remember watching the tapes my family Japan sent to me as a kid with recordings of Dragonball/Dragonball Z and other anime almost on a daily basis. It was nuts to see how popular it became once it started to air here in North America but also not surprising, there's just something special about his work.

Rest in peace Toriyama-san, you will truly be missed.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:29 am Reply with quote
Literally just found out.
I’m in shock.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:30 am Reply with quote
Wow...I just...I think I'm in shock.

Dragon Ball, and Dragon Ball Z, were one of my first real experiences with Japanese animation and storytelling growing up and I watched it religiously through the beginning, Z, GT, all the movies, and Super...and loving it, the characters, the whimsical world, battles, and heart all along. And I owe that to Toriyama-sensei.

RIP Akira Toriyama. Thank you for crafting a world where wishes can come true and the universe isn't the limit.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:30 am Reply with quote
How awful, and still pretty young! Sad

Rest in Peace to a legend
OH&S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:32 am Reply with quote
It really feels like a piece of my childhood has been ripped out. I'm just so sad.

Even though I drifted away from Dragon Ball after Z and GT, I still respect Akira Toriyama for being the source of inspiration for multiple generations of manga artists that followed.

Rest In Piece.
turnsie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:51 am Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama was one of those pillars in animanga history who always had works in progress, which made the thought of him ever being gone never cross your mind. He's a legend who went above and beyond in showing that his far reaching influence was absolutely earned. Very few did it like he did, and very few will go on to do it like he did. I hope his loved ones can find solace in knowing that he brought so much joy, inspiration, and even purpose to an unfathomable amount of people around the globe.

Akihiro Hino, president and CEO of Level-5, posted his condolences and reminisced about collaborating with Toriyama on Dragon Quest 8.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9