• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Licenses Air TV, Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
I'm glad it got licensed. I was disappointed in this series (probably because it was overhyped by all the Air fans I know, but I'm not big on moe), but I'm happy for the Air fans because I kept hearing that the license was expensive and would probably never get bought. Maybe Kanon will come next (I found Kanon to be a little better.)

And maaaaaaaaaybe someday Monster will get licensed, though probably not until New Line Cinema does SOMETHING with their supposed Live Action version.

Anyway, yeay ADV.

Actually, this whole thing kinda makes me feel optimistic that someone might announce Monster in the next few months...

But, the 74-episode thing still kinda doesn't completely settle my fears though...

But I have hope!

================

EDIT:

Which reminds me... where the hell are the Kaleido Star OAVs again?!
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP!!!!

I've been waiting for them to

I too am crying manly tears.
I'll be the first one to get this when this rolls on to the shelves in August. Actually I think I'll pre-order it.

I am doubly crossing my fingers that they'll also release the blu-ray Air box set.
If they do, I am buying a PS3 the moment the blu-ray set comes out.
I wouldn't buy a PS3 for FF13 or Metal Gear Solid 4. But I'd buy it for Air.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was only a matter of time. Considering the character designs, I knew it would be ADV that would get it.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I was late to the panel(long,slow registration line! Evil or Very Mad ), so I missed the actual announcement. I stayed behind afterwards and asked Matt Greenfield what I might have missed announcement-wise. When he said, "Oh, we announced the Air series and movie", I almost fell over! He said the reason it took so long was because the rights were held by two seperate entities.

Someone posed the question earlier as to why they got both. Mr. Greenfield didn't explain, but I would suppose they just wanted it all. One good reason would be so that the same VA's could voice the same parts.

Well, I'm happy. I can't wait till August! Anime hyper
Akukaze

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
But doesn't this license cost an ungodly amount of money? (by anime-industry standards)

I don't know if there's been any direct statements on the cost of the anime. I know someone (Hirameki?) has said that the license for the game was ungodly expensive (I heard that it cost over a million to license, but actual numbers when it comes to costs are usually kept close to the chest so that's probably just fan speculation). It's pretty unlikely that anyone in Japan suddenly realised that it wouldn't sell well enough to justify the price tag, so I doubt the price got licensed. The Japanese entertainment industry is ungodly stubborn.

But maybe KimiNozo/Rumbling Hearts sold well enough to justify Air getting licensed, or something. I doubt we'll ever know. But regardless of the why or how JESUS CHRIST, THANK YOU ADV.

DKL wrote:
I dunno anything about AIR, but I get the impression that it's kinda...

Uhh... girly (the kinda girly that tends to cater to males who are into the whole "moe" thing, such as myself)... so maybe that's why it wouldn't work for him?

I could be wrong though; I'll only find out when I get there.

As a girl, I'd say it's more girly in that it sort of follows the formula of dorama/movies like "Taiyou no Uta" or "Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu" which are very much aimed at woman. And the moe aspect isn't as bad as some more recent anime/anime adapted from more recent games. I wouldn't personally clasify it as a moe anime (I think back in '99 the term moe didn't even exist, or at least wasn't well known), I'd just say that Misuzu acts a little childish (and with reason to, I'd say).

This is turning out to be a huge year for Key; Little Busters is coming out, Clannad is getting made into a TV series and a movie, and now Air gets licensed. To take a line from McDonalds, I'm lovin' it. 8)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is one exciting year for me as far as North American licenses. I already have pre-orders in place for When They Cry, Black Lagoon, Tsubasa, and Haruhi, I'm biting my nails on Mushishi as well, I've been impatiently waiting for release news for Death Note, and within the past week I read I'll be able to buy Honey and Clover and now Air!

Seriously out of probably every show I have seen and loved Air is the one I thought had the least chance of being licensed. I'm pretty darned happy! This is gonna be an expensive but very good year for me. Razz

And the year isn't even halfway done yet... There's still a chance for a couple others I've been looking forward to to be licensed.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

The company licensed AIR two years ago just announced the acquirement of it, along with TokiKake, Kujian TV + Genshiken OVA, and Getsumen To Heiki Miina.

Oops, I mean the R3 release. Wink

W-General wrote:
HOLY CRAP!!!!

I've been waiting for them to

I too am crying manly tears.
I'll be the first one to get this when this rolls on to the shelves in August. Actually I think I'll pre-order it.

I thought you could have bought the R3... Rolling Eyes

By the way, will this deal include AIR In Summer? If they have it too then the release would be 4-4-4-3 pattern, for I don't think many American fans could accept 13 episodes in four discs (4-3-3-3 or 3-3-3-4). Just for the record, the R3 set has eight discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Unless I'm grossly mistaken, R1 licensing and publishing costs have been going up while legitimate R1 purchases have been going down for years now. How is this ever going to turn a reasonable profit in the current R1 anime market? Does ADV have an ace up their sleeve or am I just completely clueless?
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
DKL wrote:

The company licensed AIR two years ago just announced the acquirement of it, along with TokiKake, Kujian TV + Genshiken OVA, and Getsumen To Heiki Miina.

Wait... what?
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
dormcat wrote:
DKL wrote:

Wait... what?

I second this motion...

Hi DKL! It's Coccoro from THEM.
MJP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
If Air comes out in Blu-Ray, I will buy a PS3.

If Air comes out in HD-DVD, I will buy an HD-DVD for my 360.

JUST FOR AIR.

O_O

I never expected ADV to make this kind of move... but I will pay retail price, quite happily, for Air so long as they include the movie on disc 4. Otherwise, it's typical 13-ep 4-disc gouging.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey... wow, I didn't know you were a memeber here; you need to use the same name!

ANYWAY... if I can import the Layla Hamilton thing, I probably would (but then... would it have subs?)

Though, if doesn't... my gut tells me to import anyway...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
By the way, will this deal include AIR In Summer?

Yes.

Quote:
If they have it too then the release would be 4-4-4-3 pattern, for I don't think many American fans could accept 13 episodes in four discs (4-3-3-3 or 3-3-3-4).

Assuming that ADV doesn't put off Air In Summer as a seperate release compared to the four volumes that they'll be releasing the television series as (they are technically two different things), it's going to be interesting to see how they're going to release them. Those two episodes just go into more detail about specific events, so would they release those as some kind of "extra" like FUNimation with the Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid OVA, list them as episode numbers with the regular show (7 --> 7.5?), or something else that I'm not thinking of?

MJP wrote:
I never expected ADV to make this kind of move... but I will pay retail price, quite happily, for Air so long as they include the movie on disc 4. Otherwise, it's typical 13-ep 4-disc gouging.

Uh, wha'? Why would you want a movie crammed in with three/four other episodes on the same disc?

... Relatedly, I know that episode thirteen is a recap of the whole series, so I'm wondering if that's going to find a home on the final disc or if it's negligible or whatever the hell.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Well since a lot of people lost interest or was just confused on what was happening in the series, the FINAL re-cap was there to help with that, so if I assume it'll be just as confusing as it's in in japanese, then I thnk it should be on there. And the Movie should be seperate, and Air in Summer should have it's own special edition/ + box set thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
DKL wrote:
Wait... what?

I second this motion...

http://www.prowaremedia.com.tw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116877#116877

By the way, scroll up to see which "icing on the cake" we will get this summer. Wink

HellKorn wrote:
Assuming that ADV doesn't put off Air In Summer as a seperate release compared to the four volumes that they'll be releasing the television series as (they are technically two different things), it's going to be interesting to see how they're going to release them.

Thanks for the link. I'd say the most reasonable way would be three discs for 12 regular episodes (four each), and one last disc for the recap and two special episodes, making a 4-4-4-3 release, and those who have no interest in the summer special can omit the final disc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10