• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Character designs that ruin everything.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I'll agree with the poster who said everything after 1999. Most designs are identical nowadays, with the only difference being what that person is wearing. It makes a creepy series less creepy, or a dramatic series less dramatic if they all look happy bright eyed and cutesy.

You know, it's really easy to generalize.

All anime from before the 90's looks the same. The characters all have triangle heads, and dark hair.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I'll agree with the poster who said everything after 1999. Most designs are identical nowadays, with the only difference being what that person is wearing. It makes a creepy series less creepy, or a dramatic series less dramatic if they all look happy bright eyed and cutesy.

You know, it's really easy to generalize.

All anime from before the 90's looks the same. The characters all have triangle heads, and dark hair.

Designs had more of a tendency to fit their respective genres. I kinda see what you mean. It's easy to tell when a title is from the 80's and early 90's.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I'm actually pretty open when it comes to character designs. Rarely do they ruin everything for me. I didn't really like the designs for Vandread, but it didn't ruin the whole show for me. I have an increasing distaste for the big-eyed, cutesty character designs.

Same, I can tolerate most anything. There've been several series where I've thought the designs were unappealing like Black Jack 21, or When They Cry, but that fact is easily over-shadowed by the fact the rest of the show is great. Only something as godawful as Kaidohmaru or Reign: The Conqueror would ruin the show for me. With Reign it was the body designs I hate that guy's style it's so ugly, and makes the men look like women. With Kaidohmaru it was the fact the they did not distinguish the characters enough from the background, everything was too bright and all whited-out and it was difficult to see what was going on. These two shows had other things wrong with them however too so for me it really must be a combination of factors in order for a serioes to be ruined for me.

What I ultimately prefer though in my character designs are those like the ones in Monster, Black Lagoon, Claymore, and the Patlabor franchise. Those that are less...I don't know anime-ish that have more realistic looking facial features, not everyone is a supermodel, distinguishable races, and such.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Torpedo tits pretty much ruin it for me. Not big breasts mind you. There is a difference.

Except for robots. Robots can have torpedo tits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Ugly character designs aren't enough to ruin a series for me. Glaringly bad animation might, but I think if everything else is great, ugly artwork will at most be a minor distraction.

But I'll say a few series where the character designs did distract me, though again, they don't ruin the series for me.

Honey and Clover: I love everything about this show except the character designs, I'm not sure how to describe this, but the way the faces are drawn kinda bothers me. Hagu is probably the worst offender. For a character who's supposed to be cute, she doesn't really look the part to me.

Initial D: Again, a show I generally like except for the character designs. 1st Stage has the worst artwork. The characters mouths just look really awkward. Even the characters who are supposed to be attractive end up looking off.

Dragonaut, the Resonance: I don't really like this show so far, and while I don't like the character designs, in my mind, they aren't the biggest problem the show has, but I'll just focus on them to stay on topic.

Those breasts are way too exaggerated. Garnet being the worst offender. For a show that tries to be serious, such blatantly fanservicey artwork is really out of place.

oh, and I almost forgot:

Kanon 2002: This show isn't that bad but those chins of doom are a bit much. I mean, they're enormous!

Last edited by GreatTeacherKen on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Reign: The Conqueror
Quote:
With Reign it was the body designs I hate that guy's style it's so ugly, and makes the men look like women.

Now that you mention it... was the design done for Reign also done by the same person who did Aeon Flux? Or am I getting things mixed up?

Yeah I also am not appealed by Reigns design. It looks too bizarre and can sort of make me lose my appetite.

Whoomp wrote:
DNA2, everything designwise is horrible.

The super saiyan esque scene with Junta wasn't doing anything for me either lol.

GreatTeacherKen wrote:
Honey and Clover: I love everything about this show except the character designs, I'm not sure how to describe this, but the way the faces are drawn kinda bothers me. Hagu is probably the worst offender. For a character who's supposed to be cute, she doesn't really look the part to me.

Honey and Clover bored the lights out of me. A big part of it is the character designs. The designs bore me. I know it's a show that's supposed to be real or something like that. But because of that it bored me. Other things in the show attribute to that as well. Like, that one little girl whose name escapes me looks like a doll. When she does these antics that she gets everyone else involved into, it makes me just wanna slap her.

Okay, there's something I can't lie about. I don't like Honey and Clover.

GreatTeacherKen wrote:
Kanon 2002: spoiler[ This show isn't that bad but those chins of doom are a bit much. I mean, they're enormous! Shocked ]

Oh I haven't forgotten about that. I guess you can say that the 2006 version is a saving grace. Kyoto made the characters look better.

Character designs aren't a deciding factor on how I'm going to judge a series. It's a part of it but there are other things to look into as well. If there are other things that I can come to like, respect, or appreciate then it is from there that I will make that final thought on.

There are designs that look weird. There are designs I like for being a little wacky, and also because I think it can add some flavor. If there are things done with the designs that make them exciting then I know what I'm looking for. If not, then I will see what other things it has that I will have regards for. Then if that doesn't go well then I know what I think of the show. I think that is my thing with Honey and Clover. The designs don't please me and not much else about the show has my regards. A series mentioned by others Eureka 7, I like the designs of. I thought they were weird too. When I watched it more I started to like it. I like the drawing style for Eureka 7 although it looks funny sometimes.

Character designs that I find are exciting to me is what will do it for me.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now that you mention it... was the design done for Reign also done by the same person who did Aeon Flux? Or am I getting things mixed up?

Yeah I also am not appealed by Reigns design. It looks too bizarre and can sort of make me lose my appetite.

Yes, he also did equally unappealing work on one of the shorts in The Animatrix and Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Bubblegum Crisis 2040 was mentioned, because it was absolutely horrid to see the Sonoda designs replaced.

However, even though I am a huge fan of classic character design, I take a bit of umbrage to all of the "90's AIC" cracks being tossed around. The AIC boys from 1992-1996 put out some truly unique and enduring characters, especially from a visual standpoint.

In particular would have to be the casts of the Tenchi Muyo OAV's and the El Hazard OAV's. Instantly recognizable (even without the outlandish hairstyles and costumes) they've become classics themselves.

Now, as for a series where the character designs just plain didn't work for me, it'd have to be the Ah! My Goddess TV series. In particular, the changes in coloring and proportion to the main cast from the original (and, oddly enough, 1992 AIC produced) OAV were jarring and lost a lot of the warmth of the production.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
For me, I just don't like the old-school triangular-faces designs. I started both Marmalade Boy and Kimagure Orange Road and couldn't stick with either one. I also disliked the characters in Galaxy Railways, though (AIUI) they were a conscious homage to Space Battleship Yamato.

As for the poster that disliked the Haruhi designs (I personally like them), I can agree that the girls have a certain KyoAni look that is pretty much exactly the same as in Air, Kanon 2006 and Clannad. I think, however, that Kyon's design is really well done--the shape of his face and his deep golden eyes really work. There are several moments in the series where you see close-ups of his face and realize the usually-unseen depths of his character.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how people are saying Honey and Clover. If anything, it's the character designs that drew me into watching the series. I like them...they're really unique and simple. I love Chica Umino's art; because it's cute, but not too cute. Hagu is cute, but in a tooth-decaying kind of way, I appreciate that.

Also, now that I've finally watch Galaxy Express 999, I have to say I like those designs too. They're kind of funny looking, but charming in their own way. I can see how one would think they're ugly, though. I found Tetsuro to be cute, honestly. ^^;

I guess I can add Claymore to the list of character designs I just don't like. I dunno, Claymore's art just doesn't rub me the right way. I don't really mind realistic designs, but the designs felt awkward to me. Though, from all the praise it recieves, I feel like I should give it a chance.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
It's funny how people are saying Honey and Clover. If anything, it's the character designs that drew me into watching the series. I like them...they're really unique and simple. I love Chica Umino's art; because it's cute, but not too cute. Hagu is cute, but in a tooth-decaying kind of way, I appreciate that.

Although I don't care about artwork at all I can see why some people don't like it in Honey and Clover, the characters had strange broad mouth and Hagumi besides looking loli had disproportionately big head IMO it looked rather awful than cute.
Chesis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Those kids from "AIR" look like partially melted Precious Moments figurines. I won't watch the series just for that, because I know that it'll distract the hell out of me.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Ug, I hate it when people compare any anime to Precious Moments figures. If any anime looked like that, I would never watch any anime ever. I prefer to pretend that those things don't exist.

mokuhazushi wrote:
As for the poster that disliked the Haruhi designs (I personally like them), I can agree that the girls have a certain KyoAni look that is pretty much exactly the same as in Air, Kanon 2006 and Clannad.

Haruhi's characters look exactly like the ones in AIR? Going to have to disagree with that. At the very least, the characters in AIR have less irritating facial expressions...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm glad that Bubblegum Crisis 2040 was mentioned, because it was absolutely horrid to see the Sonoda designs replaced.

Personally I'm going to have to disagree because I thought it was an improvement to do away with the "'80's hair", but to each his/her own. Smile
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
CloverKuroba wrote:

Although I don't care about artwork at all I can see why some people don't like it in Honey and Clover, the characters had strange broad mouth and Hagumi besides looking loli had disproportionately big head IMO it looked rather awful than cute.

Yeah, I can see why some people don't like it. The art is odd. But I tend to like odd art, anyway. The world has enough Yuu Watases. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5