• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump, Shojo Beat Shake Up Manga Lineup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren:
Quote:
Unfortunately, my "motherly" instincts and "cute baby!" senses weren't activated on that series >_>;;

You don't really need to be maternal or think the kid's ciute to like it. You just need some nostalgia and some child-like sense of wonder. Or at least be a fan of movies like "Goonies" and "The Sandlot". Razz

CCS:
Quote:
I don't know, I sort of would like to be finished sometime in my lifetime.

Then pester Oda, not Viz. Razz

Quote:

She's another idiot hero? I have no patience for the usual shojo heroine. Like Nana.

I wouldn't necessarily call the girls in PK idiots, just masochistic.

Quote:
SB will have a higher turn-around, maybe because here gals are a major force in manga purchases. I remember the Comic-Con panels one yr--guys kept asking about this or that title & several panels said, sorry, the gal audience were buying lots of manga & everyone in the industry wanted a piece of it so the companies were looking for a share of titles to draw the gals in.

Other than Honey and Clover, I don't see the other SB titles appealing much to girls. At last not the ones who have grown up on their stuff.

Quote:

Now with Naruto, I'm almost suspecting a "srtike while the iron's hot" mentality. It's hot now, but will it fade in a year or 2 like YuGiOh is a fading title?

Yu Gi Oh died out, because of that crap movie from 4Kids. But it still makes money for them, which is why they're publishing GX. Three Naruto books a month might kill interest, though especially if, as other people claim, it stops focusing on Naruto's team and shifts to some older kids. They're taking an awful risk on that one, because Narutards might just end up reading Jump, and then only buy one or two of the TPBS they like most, rather than all of them.
And the book chains might not be too happy having to carry that many copies, either. (Although they seem to have multiple copies of older and current volumes which out-number the copies for everything else...)

Quote:
Will a 12 yr old buying Naruto today still want to buy it in 5 yrs, or will he be saving up for a car/girlfriend/other interests?

I've known some old-school Toriyama fans who were still buying his manga as adults. But that's because Toriyama doesn't publish as much stuff as he used to, so it ain't expensive. Will Kishimoto even have anything left after Naruto...?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

CCS:
Quote:
I don't know, I sort of would like to be finished sometime in my lifetime.

Then pester Oda, not Viz. Razz /quote]

I knew you'd say that, But if we're 10 yrs behind because of Viz's release schedule, even if he ends it in 5 yrs, we'll just be finishing up Alabaster..

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
SB will have a higher turn-around, maybe because here gals are a major force in manga purchases. I remember the Comic-Con panels one yr--guys kept asking about this or that title & several panels said, sorry, the gal audience were buying lots of manga & everyone in the industry wanted a piece of it so the companies were looking for a share of titles to draw the gals in.

Other than Honey and Clover, I don't see the other SB titles appealing much to girls. At last not the ones who have grown up on their stuff.

But...isn't Shojo Beat aimed at girls? Aren't all the titles in Shojo beat shojo titles?

Quote:

Now with Naruto, I'm almost suspecting a "srtike while the iron's hot" mentality. It's hot now, but will it fade in a year or 2 like YuGiOh is a fading title?

Yu Gi Oh died out, because of that crap movie from 4Kids. But it still makes money for them, which is why they're publishing GX. Three Naruto books a month might kill interest, though especially if, as other people claim, it stops focusing on Naruto's team and shifts to some older kids. They're taking an awful risk on that one, because Narutards might just end up reading Jump, and then only buy one or two of the TPBS they like most, rather than all of them.
And the book chains might not be too happy having to carry that many copies, either. (Although they seem to have multiple copies of older and current volumes which out-number the copies for everything else...)

Quote:
Will a 12 yr old buying Naruto today still want to buy it in 5 yrs, or will he be saving up for a car/girlfriend/other interests?

I've known some old-school Toriyama fans who were still buying his manga as adults. But that's because Toriyama doesn't publish as much stuff as he used to, so it ain't expensive. Will Kishimoto even have anything left after Naruto...?

And does Kishimoto have the same talent as Toriyama? Much of the current generation of shonen manga artist name Toriyama as an influence.

As for YuGiOh, I think you're also missing out on the whole generation thing. Kids grow up & mature out of stuff & YuGiOh just didn't have the lasting power other titles have. Pokemon is hanging in there, though greatly reduced from it's glory days also. Rumiko Takahashi knows her stuff & knows how to drag out a title like InuYasha. Not every manga-ka has that ability. Some make a career of doing 4-12 volume titles (particularly shojo) because they don't like drawing it out. The Marmalade Boy manga-ka complained about haviuung to stretch the manga. Or was it Kodocha? Or both? Toriyama apparently also was less than thrilled at having to drag out Dragonball.
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
CCS, I have to disagree with you, at least on Inu Yasha. For me, that series dragged on to the point where I couldn't be bothered to care anymore, which saddened me since I had really loved that series. At least Naruto doesn't have a repetition of the same story formula over and over again. (But this is just me--I love Takahashi, I just prefer her shorter works).

On the actual article, I'm happy about Nana being pulled since I do not collect the magazine--while everything was interesting, there wasn't much on the first couple of volumes of SB to really drag me in. I am saddened that Shaman King is pulled, though; I enjoy it, but I'm not a big enough fan to carry it on outside the magazine. Same with YYH and One Piece. And with my dislike of YGO at this point and the fact that my boyfriend collects Naruto, the only thing left for me is Hikaru no Go. At this point, I think I'm going to let my subscription peter out and just collect the HikaGo volumes. (Besides, I don't really fit into the target demographic anymore anyways.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
CCS:
Quote:

As for YuGiOh, I think you're also missing out on the whole generation thing. Kids grow up & mature out of stuff & YuGiOh just didn't have the lasting power other titles have. Pokemon is hanging in there, though greatly reduced from it's glory days also.

Eight years ain't bad, but I agree that the Millennium World arc is weak. Still, GX is a blatant cash-in, which is why no one cares anymore. Pokemon is basically this generation's Doraemon, and won't ever die.

Quote:
Rumiko Takahashi knows her stuff & knows how to drag out a title like InuYasha.

Luis Cruz thinks otherwise.
Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Toriyama apparently also was less than thrilled at having to drag out Dragonball.

Yeah, but he still milks the art, when he could be doing something more experimental.
Rikabu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:

Is Nana leaving because of it's growing mature content or because it's ongoing at 16+ volumes? I'm wondering about that.

I think both could be a factor, sure it has gotten more mature.. But, I think they are trying to keep up with the Japanese releases. We are only up to volume 6 and Japan is at 17, so lots of catching up. Very Happy
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
I find with each of Rumiko Takahashi's works, she improves her skill as a storyteller, though yeah, she's pushing it with InuYasha. She can knock it out effortlessly-in her sleep practically, but the sheer length is getting extreme.
It's like Case Closed. My god, finish it! I swear it's her retirement title. She doesn't want to start a new one, so she's just dragging out inuYasha.
And she's another one where the art is similar. I've seen her character designs for video games & they look like escapees from InuYasha.

So maybe what I mean is her craft is there. I dropped InuYasha because I figure I can pick it up in 3 yrs & Viz will still be cranking them out.

As for the other Takahashi--face it, YuGiOh was his first sale after 10 yrs of trying. Not sure there's anything else in there.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
You know, I was really enjoying Shaman King, until I stumbled across how it ends.

spoiler[It just sort of stops. Someone's put to sleep and they all charge off towards Hao..and that's it. There's no damned resolution. There's a seperate thing which takes place years later, but somehow manages to leave several major questions unanswered, which only makes it worse.

I mean what the HELL?]

And somewhere on this site is the perfect description of Bobobo's style of humor - "It's like being savagely beaten by a clown"

And who DOESN'T like being savagely beaten by a clown?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai: Shaman King was prematurely cancelled, so the ending is incomplete.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Rikabu wrote:
CloverKuroba wrote:

Is Nana leaving because of it's growing mature content or because it's ongoing at 16+ volumes? I'm wondering about that.

I think both could be a factor, sure it has gotten more mature.. But, I think they are trying to keep up with the Japanese releases. We are only up to volume 6 and Japan is at 17, so lots of catching up. Very Happy

I hadn't thought of the mature content stuff, but that could very likely play into it as well. I know they have a mature content label stuck on one of the most recent NANA volumes (which surprised me, I don't think anything in NANA is really that bad, though I don't know precisely what happened in that volume so it's hard for me to tell).
domino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
Good news all around for me. I've been waiting for a long time to see more Bobobo manga from them -- and have been waiting even longer for someone to license Honey & Clover and Harukanaru Toki no Naka de (though I wish they'd translate the game version first, or something).

Viz wins a few points back from me for this, though I still don't quite forgive them for the painful delays between volumes of already-licensed manga. Three months between releases is ridiculous, and if that trend continues for these new licenses I'm just going to give up and buy the Japanese versions.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

And somewhere on this site is the perfect description of Bobobo's style of humor - "It's like being savagely beaten by a clown"

And who DOESN'T like being savagely beaten by a clown?

You never read Dr Skump, did you?
It's in the same style of insane stuff happening. Akira Toriyama's title before Dragonball. Aliens with butts for heads, talking poo piles. Poo is, in fact, a pretty big part of it. A baby that can eat pretty much anything.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
The only other conclusion I can come too for Nana being taken out is that Viz has the anime and movies, and wants to speed up the manga publication, so it'll catch up with the arcs they cover.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
I hope they're going to be publishing volumes of Honey and Clover (can't see why not?) as I'd feel pretty sheepish having to buy Shojo Beat!
I've seen the anime, and rate it as one of my top favourites, so I really want to have the manga!
Celes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Louie:
Quote:
Of course, Bobobo really pisses me off as it is unfunny and unenjoyable

Yeah, why can't the characters in Bo^7 expand their heads and blurt out stupid comments like in OP? Rolling Eyes

Celes:
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I really disliked that series, it literally put me to sleep almost every time I read it and the art made my eyes water.

Maybe you should try a less "challenging" title like Yu Gi Oh GX. Razz

Not really sure what you're inferring by that but if it has anything to do with the fact that I can't handle the "challenge" of a manga series just because I couldn't get into the story then I'm not going to bother arguing since you know absolutely nothing about me besides what kind of manga I like on the internet.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Bo-BoBo started at chapter 110. I hope they will release the whole thing.

The article forgot to say Naruto will be skipping ahead 12 volumes...>_>; not that I care...

Shaman King is ok, but I think i'd like graphic novels more, just so it goes faster.

And yes, YGO GX should've been kicked out instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5