• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Anime, Anime, Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I have a packrat mentality when it comes to most DVDs, too. Even if it's a show I know I'll never watch again in my entire life, and would rather light it on fire and then eat the remains-- I can't bear to get rid of it.

I'm a lot more discerning when it comes to live-action DVDs. The only stuff I really have is TV boxsets (oh God, I can't stop buying TV boxsets--- who else cleaned up in Best Buy's last Fox sale?!??! Anime hyper), really good movies, and really terrible movies.
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I have been reading the manga for Suzuka lately, it seems ok. The fights they get into are annoying at times and the fanservice is a bit much, but the story is getting interesting. Maybe I will try the anime sooner or later.

As for the collection, all I can say is; Wow! that is great, Icepick! I wish I had a collection like that. *sigh*
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
I feel absoultely pathetic after looking at that collection, I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it. I know that this has been asked before but has anyone seen a collection that is larger than the one shown here?

The largest collection that I'm aware of is Chris Beveridge's (Owner / Webmaster of Anime on DVD).

My collection of personal anime (stuff I like, keep and/or paid for) is about the same size as the one highlighted in this SL, (quick estimate about 2500~3000 DVDs) but that's not including my manga (I have more manga than anime). That's also not including the 1000+ DVDs that I would like to get rid of (come to our panels at AX, Otakon, etc...)

Bamboo has a massive collection, but last I heard it was all in storage boxes.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Um, you're a little confused, there, Bamboo. It's Anaheim which is the ghetto, especially when you consider the room where they had the dance last year.

She's talking about the area immediately surrounding the convention center. Go more than 1km from the convention center in any direction and it's a dump. Admittedly, not nearly as bad as the area around the Baltimore convention center.

As for the dance rooms, Anime conv dances will almost always get dumped into one of the smaller rooms. The largest rooms are all reserved for the main events, main panels, etc... And they don't want to tear down & re-setup those rooms every night. It's just a matter of logistics.

Considering the convention center itself, and the area surrounding it, I'd take Anaheim over LB any day. Pity AX won't be back in Anaheim for a while.

-t
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Now I DO feel miserable... And green with envy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Im jealous not because of the anime but how its displayed. I have a pretty decent collection but nowhere to display it, so all of it is boxed up in bankers boxes. I had my favorites out on one shelf but my daughter kept pulling the DVDs off the rack so I eventually just boxed it up as well. Blegh. Its so hard to find anything when everything is in boxes. Alot of great shows in that collection. Enjoyed looking at all the pics!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I haven't counted up my collection in ages, but I do know the entire thing is basically in storage right now, with a scant few exceptions. I really, REALLY need to move out because there are things I want to watch again, and I want to organise things properly/do a count, but I dont have the space or energy where I am right now.

I've wanted to send my collection into Shelf life because its got some nice things about it, but it's nowhere near as big. Then again, it's not what you've got, its where you stick it (and ideally, that means out of the way Smile )
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
tempest: I've been down there, and that's not a dump. This is, though.And it wasn't just a small place. It was a condemned place.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
Impressive collection icepick. I feel a little sorry for the collection that's on display next time.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed 009-1 as well and found it more enjoyable than Go Nagai's Cutey Honey. My guess is that Mylene is a character that more women can appreciate compared to many of her contemporaries. She is a strong female character who does things on her own terms and is in control of her sexuality, Too often I see shows where the main female character is around to protect a loser guy who she likes for no real good reason. This just seems lame to me, and the only reason for it that I can see is to appeal to typical high school guys.

I also just watched the newest Chevalier DVD last night and thought it was amazing. There is something about all the political maneuvering that reminds me of the Legend of Galactic Heroes. ADV did both these series justice with the extras.

I started the first volume of Suzuka last night (trying to get through all of the Shelf Life titles) but fell asleep after the first volume. When I looked at the box I was a little exited that it was a sports anime with a girl as a protagonist, but was a bit disappointed by the first volume which felt like a shounen series. Although I don't consider myself a feminist I find this pandering to loser guys rather annoying. Mylene is so much cooler than Suzuka, and doesn't need that boy next door.

Chris' collection is indeed impressive, and fortunately for me his opinions really line up well with mine. I love how he custom installed those shelves that line that room from corner to corner. My place is fairly small so I started to throw away all my clamshells that my DVDs came back when I started approaching 1000 DVDs. All of my DVDs fit comfortably in those binders that hold 264 DVDs. I have about a shelf worth of those binders and seeing how much space other peoples collections take could never have found enough shelf space without them since my walls are all lined with bookshelves that all have books on them, I finally threw away my VHS and Beta collection, although I can't bring myself to getting rid of my LDs since the covers are so pretty. Overall my LDs take up more shelf space than my DVDs in binders.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I have a packrat mentality when it comes to most DVDs, too. Even if it's a show I know I'll never watch again in my entire life, and would rather light it on fire and then eat the remains-- I can't bear to get rid of it.

I'm a lot more discerning when it comes to live-action DVDs. The only stuff I really have is TV boxsets (oh God, I can't stop buying TV boxsets--- who else cleaned up in Best Buy's last Fox sale?!??! Anime hyper), really good movies, and really terrible movies.

It was nice of BestBuy wasn't it? Particularly since Fox tends to charge the most for any non-science-fiction volume/set.

tempest wrote:
That's also not including the 1000+ DVDs that I would like to get rid of (come to our panels at AX, Otakon, etc...)

Must. resist. urge. to. visit. panel. Must. avoid. needing. fifth. shelf.

Damn fine collection though, place is finally almost completely photogenic yet I must now retreat back into sulk mode. As to some of those largest collection notes, I just can't bring myself to give anything except a starred entry to anyone in industry or (insert best term/terms here to describe a place as well known as ANN or AoD for reviews) even if only counting those purchased on their own.
Shenmei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
If only I didn't have little siblings in my family that I would take out my hentai and put it on my shelves.
I love his displays though it could be more packed together cause those gaps look lonely.
And what pops out the most to me is Love hina and Negima for some reason. Maybe cause those are my favs.
I just got my room and collection cleaned so I'll be summiting my pictures that I've been planning ever since Shelf LIfe has been posting these awsome collections.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow. My anime collection just now started moving onto it's 2nd SHELF of it's first bookcase (at least my manga is on it's 3rd shelf).
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
Lucky lucky! I'm so green right now, and I didn't even look at half of those pictures.....I think I would die if I saw any more. My soul would just up and leave my shriveled body...

I have barely over 130 DVDs, and that's only 'because I bought 35 from the Geneon/Rightstuf sale last week. It's partly because I simply can't hold on to a DVD unless I really, really like it...
Well, at least my entire collection is stuff I know I'll want to watch again some time in the future.

Also, I appreciate the review of Linda Linda. I've been really into live action since I finished the Tokyo Friends series a week ago, so any info on LA series available in the US is great.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:35 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
LightYagami wrote:
I feel absoultely pathetic after looking at that collection, I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it. I know that this has been asked before but has anyone seen a collection that is larger than the one shown here?

The largest collection that I'm aware of is Chris Beveridge's (Owner / Webmaster of Anime on DVD).

My collection of personal anime (stuff I like, keep and/or paid for) is about the same size as the one highlighted in this SL, (quick estimate about 2500~3000 DVDs) but that's not including my manga (I have more manga than anime). That's also not including the 1000+ DVDs that I would like to get rid of (come to our panels at AX, Otakon, etc...)

Bamboo has a massive collection, but last I heard it was all in storage boxes.

-t
Regarding Chris B's collection, tempest: what percentage do you think it is of all anime releases? 80%? 90%? 95%?

And I wish I could come to those AX or Otakon panels, but on this one-dimensional map of the USA:
Code:
AX                                          Zalis116                                            Otakon
I'm equidistant to them, and the farthest afield I've ventured to conventions is to Dallas for AKon and Chicago for Acen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5