• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Drop (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I installed cccp and use Zoom Player to watch all my stuff and that comes included with it. Plays everything I've tried related to anime fan subs, avi, mkv and mp4.

http://www.cccp-project.net/
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Episode 9 has been out since Friday night, I think. Has anyone gotten that one and actually been able to play it?

The fansub group up-to-date on the series is releasing them now in .mp4 format, which I haven't previously seen before. I have tried playing this episode in various players (RealPlayer, Quicktime, WMP) on both Windows XP and Vista and consistently get either error messages or only one (never both) of the audio/visual playing. I have downloaded new codecs, re-downloaded the fansub, and still can't get it to play right. If someone else has, I'd like to know what they're using.

I have like 4 different players 3 play the video with no audio and the 4th only plays the audio from it, which is of absolutely no help I hate all those frelling funky codecs, they're nothing but trouble. Why can't they just encode in something more normal? Mad

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Is it because it's in mp4 format or can you guys play other mp4 files and just not blue drop 09.mp4?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I can usually play .mp4s and the h264 codec (which this is supposedly encoded in) as well, so I don't know what the crap it is. Confused
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I installed cccp and Zoom Player on my (brand new) laptop with Vista and my desktop with XP. In both cases I am getting visuals but not sound on the file for episode 9, but I'm having no such problems with the file for episode 8, which is also in MP4 format.

EDIT: BTW, I love your current icon, Kruszer. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I did some checking in the forum of a well-known anime-related BitTorrent site (whose name cannot be mentioned here) and found that the audio problem on this episode is actually a fairly common one. I found this bit of advice on the issue, which I've tried and it does seem to work:

Quote:
To those who have problems with AUDIO:
Haali media splitter dosn't split this mp4 container version correctly so you will get only video.
So in mplayer classic press O (options) -> internal filters -> source filters ( tick mp4 ) -> ok
and it plays it back perfectly, OR use VLCplayer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Smile

Episode 8 played flawlessly for me too. Also you can probabally scratch the suggestion of VLC for this file that's the one player I have that only can interpret the audio. I had Real Player at one time but I really hated it, now I use Media Player Classic to play it's file types and ditched it. Confused
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Or you could just bypass all of that and get a Mac...There's not a fansub in existence (yet) that cccp and Mplayer OSX wont play. Bad encoding of the sub can occasionally mean the audio is a second ahead or behind the subs or video but that's very rare...

Now onto the actual episode.
spoiler[
Why oh why did they let their prisoner go? Basic bloody common sense would avoid any and all problems she is clearly going to cause...]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Psh, this thing that I'm on now is with me 'til one of us dies, I paid enough for it. It was a top of the line custom job.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
OR use VLCplayer.
[/quote]

I was going to suggest this last since VLC seems to play nearly everything. I just don't like it since if two lines of dialogue are shown they overlap and it also displays fonts very crap.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Zoomplayer played the video fine but the audio didn't work. I didn't feel like trying get another video player working, so I used Winamp to play the audio and ran them concurrently. I had to work a little to get them synced but it wasn't too difficult.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 is out, and it's a pivotal one. Unfortunately the fansub translation doesn't make entire sense on one crucial piece of dialog where spoiler[Azanael is explaining the truth to Mari], but regardless, there should be some interesting shake-out from this one.

EDIT: Actually episode 11 is out now, too, and it not only provides a fine follow-up but is arguably the series' best episode to date. The overall tone of this series, which comes through most strongly in this episode, is what makes the series a joy to watch, and this ep has a nice surprise in it, too.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
However, it seems that they pulled the translation out of their ass for the line at the end about the spoiler[Suicide squad]. It says nothing of the sort. Here is more on that line.

On another note, I've been kind of disappointed in the last few episodes because they've hinged on Ekaril/Hagino being utterly stupid and incompetent. Oh, and Azanael's amazing ability to twist the situation into making Hagino the bad guy.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Checked that link out and wow, it makes a HUGE difference.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Last episode has been out for a couple of weeks now. I'm interested to hear what others who watched the series out thought of the ending and the series as a whole.

I'm not sure what I was expecting of the ending, but I don't think it was that. It was very well-done, certainly brought things to a conclusion, and I liked how it tied back into (and explained) the opening scene of the series, but it did leave me more than a little sad.

With series like Kashimashi and Simoun having been licensed and released in the U.S., maybe this one will have a chance for the sub-only treatment, too. That it's only 13 episodes should stand in its favor, but I'm not going to hold my breath; this one may be too far outside of the mainstream to justify. Still, I would very much like to have this one on DVD with a proper and professional subtitling job and think it stands as a fine example of the genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5