• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Voice Actress to Appear at Naruto/Star Trek Convention

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I haven't seen anyone under 30 who is a fan of Star Trek. And I doubt that anyone who is a Naruto fan is everwhere near that age bracket. This is like putting water and oil together. The two things obviously don't mix.

Wait, I have this pic of a toddler in a Slave Leia outfit.....
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'm with Richard J. on this one.

Regardless of the compatability of the two genres, I believe it may very well help broaden the fanbase. If this con were to cause some Trek fans to step from the SciFi section to the Anime section of their local video store to check out what all this "anime" stuff is about' that would definitely be a good thing. They may start out looking up the Naruto discs, then notice all of the other choices anime has to offer. They may notice the Gundam, Eva, or other SciFi titles and actually buy a couple to try out. They may like what they see and tell their other Trek friends, and the cycle repeats. Translation: more anime DVDs sold. Also....

Some Trek fans will probably start researching Naruto online, which will lead them to anime in general. Some may be led to ANN where they can get a wealth of info about anime. Translation: you know the rest Wink

I'm in my mid-thirties, and I am a fan to both Trek and Naruto. If I lived near the location, I'd definitely go. Who says they have to mix anyway?

At the very least, this can't hurt anime fandom. Before anyone posts to the contrary, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
AExAVF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
You are not a fan of either, so you are really not in a position to call something irreconcilable. If it were actually irreconcilable, someone who likes both would not exist, and well I can tell you from personal experience that they do exist.

True that I'm not a fan of both, but I see it as more of a science fiction mixed with ninja themes, and it is based on these themes is which I find irreconciliable. I don't look at the single franchise but I see them based on their themes. I may not like Star Trek but I like Star Wars and Gundam, whereas I really dislike Naruto. If you really want to know, let me tell you where I am coming from.

While I'm not much of a Star Trek fan, as I've already said, I am however a fan of tri-Ace/Square Enix's franchise Star Ocean, which is loosely based on Star Trek. And I like Gundam as well, which is known to many as "Japan's Star Trek." tri-Ace/Square Enix's Star Ocean leans on sci-fi themes much like Star Trek, so in a way, this would have cured my disinterest in Star Trek.

There is however, one tri-Ace/Square Enix game which really gave me a reason to hate Naruto - Radiata Stories. The lead character of Jack Russell in the Japanese version is voiced by Naruto's Junko Takeuchi, and fellow Naruto voice actress Chie Nakamura is voicing some other characters in that game as well. I see Radiata Stories as having departed from tri-Ace/Square Enix's sci-fi leanings in Star Ocean, and turned it into a pseudo-Naruto game. And I cannot stand the fact that Narutards like Radiata Stories solely because it features their favorite voice actress Junko Takeuchi, not because of its being a tri-Ace/Square Enix game. As for me, I like Radiata because it is a tri-Ace/Square Enix game, not because of Junko Takeuchi and Naruto. In fact, I don't have to like Naruto to like Radiata.

Fortunately, Radiata didn't really sell quite well outside of Japan, and in fact, tri-Ace/Square Enix returned to their themes of sci-fi/fantasy with the remakes of Star Ocean 1 and 2 on PSP, as well as Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4.

It is on these premises which I find a form of irreconciliability between Naruto and Star Trek - not from the perspective of fandom but rather from the conflicting themes. Hope that's clear enough.

--

daedelus wrote:
If this con were to cause some Trek fans to step from the SciFi section to the Anime section of their local video store to check out what all this "anime" stuff is about' that would definitely be a good thing.

Some Trek fans will probably start researching Naruto online, which will lead them to anime in general.

I just cannot agree with these statements. Why introduce a mere Naruto or Star Trek fan to something he finds too strange for his tastes? If you are banking on the premise that it would lead Trek fans to anime, why not introduce them to Gundam or any other sci-fi anime then? Or for Naruto fans, why not introduce them to Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or any similar franchise? And once they are already introduced to anime or any movie franchise, they would eventually venture out on their own and find their series to whatever their liking.

A Star Trek fan is introduced to Gundam, then from Gundam he can venture into anime such as Naruto, Bleach, and other series. A Naruto fan is introduced to Harry Potter or LoTR, then from that franchise he can choose to go to Star Wars or Star Trek, depending on his tastes. There has to be a transition first before exposing them to a larger picture.

--

After having read the thread, I'm more inclined to agree with Nagisa and the others who think the same. First of all it's not just Naruto and Star Trek fans getting together, but it lies more on two inconsistent genres which have entirely nothing to do with each other. While of course, this convention would benefit those who are both fans of Naruto or Star Trek, I fail to see how this would eventually attract either fans of Naruto or any similarly related series only and Star Trek or any sci-fi-based series. If any relevance is to be made as to broadening the fanbase, why not introduce Naruto fans to similar series such as Dragon Ball, Harry Potter or any other similar series, and Star Trek fans to Gundam, Evangelion, or any other sci-fi series? Why introduce them to a genre which is really familiar to one but strange to another? The focus of the convention appears to have been misplaced.

Furthermore, I can't stand the idea of Junko Takeuchi voicing a lead character in any Gundam series, or having Rythem sing an opening or ending theme song in Gundam. It would in a way, alienate both the two fanbases.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

Regardless of the compatability of the two genres, I believe it may very well help broaden the fanbase.

But your talking about two polar opposites. How is having a ninja anime supposed to wean over sci-fi nuts, and vice-versa? I could see if it was say, Gundam or even Yamato, but Naruto?

You know what, this will explain my point perfectly about this potential riot in the making:

Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

Regardless of the compatability of the two genres, I believe it may very well help broaden the fanbase.

But like others have said, to combine Naruto and Star Trek is going about it in the worst way. Fans of deep space political intrigue are not likely to take to a hyperactive action cartoon for pre-teens, and fans of hyperactive ninja action are not likely to take to a slow-moving deep space political drama. There are some who will enjoy both, but not nearly enough to justify the idea.

If the point is to get Trek fans into anime, there are so many better anime that could be used. Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Gundam, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, anything by Leiji Matsumoto, Evangelion, Big O, Twelve Kingdoms, Banner of the Stars, all of these have much more in them to excite a Trek fan than a show about eleven-year old ninjas-in-training learning about teamwork and friendship. And likewise, if the point is to get anime fans into science fiction, there are so many better science fiction choices that could be used than a rather slow-moving franchise custom made for people in their twenties and thirties.

Subjecting Star Trek fans to Naruto is not the way to broaden the fanbase, because the target audiences for each one are just too different. It may grab a few, but far from enough to really make such an endeavor worth a damn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
yeah, exactly. There is just zero common ground between Star Trek and Naruto. The only real thing they have in common is that they are TV shows aimed at males. In theory it could bring fans of one into the other, but the odds of that happening are no better than if you were exposing fans to any other TV show.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
All very valid points indeed. I'm not saying it is a perfect combo at all. I wasn't speaking in absolutes. The main point I was trying to make is that it has the potential to broaden the fanbase.

It, by no means, will be a straight line from point A to point B for most. Some will think Naruto is stupid, and therefore proclaim all anime is stupid by default. However, it is very possible that some Trek fans may think Naruto is cool or interesting and then think; "Hmm, I wonder what else anime has to offer?" Maybe after some research, they'll find out about those great SciFi animes that are out there.

Maybe this will happen to only one Trek fan, or maybe one hundred. I don't know. I agree that it's not a sensible pairing. It may fail spectacularly. I'm just trying to spread a little optimism is all. The glass is half-full. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote
Nagisa: To be fair, Naruto has some political drama, too. And ST had a lot of occasional fantasy crap inserted into it (*cough* movie 1, time travel *cough*).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Having two things together that don't make sense actually works better in some ways than two things that do make sense. If you have two series that obviously mesh well, there's no reason to think about how they mesh. Not having to think about the connection means a person has no reason to to pay attention to the series that they aren't as familiar with. Why bother when you already get it?

In other words, two logical choices together means no one really talks about the connection or thinks about it, meaning that no one wants to explore that connection. If you take two things that make little if any sense together, people are going to talk. They're going to want to know why the two things are connected. At the very least, they're going to want to talk about just how not connected they are. This is more likely to generate interest or at least morbid curiousity.

Heck, look at this thread. If the con had been Star Trek + Gundam or whatever, no one would hardly have blinked.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Heck, look at this thread. If the con had been Star Trek + Gundam or whatever, no one would hardly have blinked.

Nah, we'd have a debate over who was sexier: Seven of Nine or Fllay Alister.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Humm well I can vouch for a friend of mine who's over thirty and loves both Naruto and Star Trek. I think the idea might be to cater to generally older group of sci-fi fans and their kids at the same time, who might be into anime. Makes sense to me, although I could be way off base.

Its something new, could be fun IMO. Its kinda different Anime hyper!
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
This is a dumb assed idea. Almost worse than letting Rob Zombie remake Halloween. Well, ok, maybe not that bad.

I can already see the resentment brewing between the two groups. I just hope the guests who were invited don't get heckled by idiots from the other fandom.
Kouga13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Random thoughts after skimming this:
By saying star trek fans are around 30s is like saying all anime fans are around 10; going through highschool I had many friends who're into star trek.

It looks like they just grabbed the biggest fanbase by going with Naruto so that there'd be a good mix of people. The best way to sell it is with fans; that said I have some very bad views on the Narutards but they mostly only exist online. Or maybe the organizers like watching the extremists go at it....

I didn't know that about Radiata, learn something everyday; thanks AExAVF.

I happen to enjoy both [more of a Stewart fan then Shatner; Naruto's voice really grates on me at times] and I'd love to see someone do a podcast or something, the potential for hilarity is too great.

Oddly enough the security at the last Con [Anime North] I went to all cos-played as Klingons.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
This is just another unique meeting of Eastern and Western cultures. As Naruto's dub catchphrase goes, "Believe it!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5