• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi's Kyoto Animation to Produce Tonari no 801-chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Although, imo, they did a hell of a job on Gankutsuou!

Amen to that! I'm watching that at the moment, it really is pretty amazing in a lot of ways.
Not necessarily in the way of CG rocketships though. Neutral

I've got to say that I'm another of those who read this article and thought it sounded like a weak premise, but I don't really identify with the average otaku (most anime fans I meet seem to exclude me if I express a different opinion), so with otaku culture being (apparently) the main driving force in this production, it doesn't sound like it's made for someone like me.

I'm just another guy waiting out for the appearance of Haruhi 2.
Taijuey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
If Kyo Ani is making the anime, then all you need to know is that a masterpeice is going to churned out in the end.

From seeing the article, I have to admit, the manga that they're adapting seems pretty awkward. And I can sympathize with everyone that'd rather have another Haruhi or FMP.

I still have faith in the studio though. I'll be sure to check this out when it comes out, and I'm expecting that it probably might end up one of my favorites. Some, if not all of the animes that they've made I thought wouldn't suit my taste, I love now.

Also, I heard a rumor that Haruhi 2 is coming out in October. I haven't found any legitimate sources claiming it, only the rumor being tossed around on various forums. Crossed fingers that the rumor's true Smile
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
I know this will sound rude, but I feel very ashamed of the fandom right now.

Really, all this complaining and whining about not getting your Haruhi2 and FMP while most of you put down a series you haven't even tried yet is just ridiculus. Cant we just wait and see if this is bad before we badmouth it? All it got was a year pradiction for 2009 and you guys are all jumping to the conclusion that they completely forgot about your other shows!

Kyogissun wrote:

-The FMP fans are crying out cause they haven't had anything since what, 04? 05? I forget when TSR aired.

-The Haruhi fans are whining because their show has been in development hell or so it seems

-And the Key fans just wanna see Clannad After Story, without hearing something that might make them think "Ugh, are you guys gonna slack off on this because you're working on this new anime at the same time?"

I mean, it really all is a reasonable issue. Why announce another new anime? They've already got two active projects... I mean seriously, why announce a third? Not to mention the Lucky Star OVA hasn't released yet. Razz

You tell us to try something new when it truth, we shouldn't have to. Sure our complaining here on a forum probably has no real effect on the news but hey, isn't this what the whole thread is for? The community feedback on the news?

Well it goes like this....

- It doesn't like like they will. FMP isn't thier priority right now, and I would be suprised if they did do another season at this point and time. Kyoani has showed no interest in producing another FMP. If the fan cry is there, they might do it, but right now it looks like that's not what the fans are crying for.

-Haruhi is mentioned at the bottom. Though no set release has been givin for it, at least you know it's coming. Haruhi2 sounds like it will be the next one spite this. Really, it's just this and Haruhi2 right now, so nothing seems out of place.

- Lucky Star comes this fall season as does Clannad After Story, so NOTHING is affecting those. they aren't going to start animation production for 801-chan RIGHT THIS SECOND!

I would say it is not a reasonable issue. You are complaining about nothing really. This new project will not change the others ones they currently have. they are just letting everyone know that they will be making an anime for this eventually next year. Since only this and Haruhi are currently scheduled for an anime right now you should have nothing to worry about. Now if they come out and annuonce another KEY project to start next year after Clannad After Story THEN you can kinda worry. Otherwise just be patient.

Your right, you shouldn't HAVE to try something new. that's why this is the ONLY new thing they have mentioned. Even this sounds like your typical otaku fan pandering show, so it's really new to begin with.

I highly doubt Kyoani is going to dissapoint the fans by doing this before Haruhi. It just sounds like they're getting 2009 prepped up and ready to go is all. No big deal. Seriously, find some patience and grow up some of you!

Now that I've got that out of my system...

I think this anime sounds pretty cute. Absurd yes, but cute. Knowing Kyoani, it will be cute and funny. Going onto the blog the only thing I can really say is Kyoani animation will definitly do this justice. I found the Lucky Star manga boring, only to find thier adaption to be loads of fun to watch, so I'm expecting a similar thing to happen with this series.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Wait, is Gainax planning to adapt the Tempest? That . . . I could get excited about.

Not to my knowledge; it's just something I pulled out of my arse. Sad
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
really, you don't have to scream for Haruhi, since it has been confirmed and is being worked on already oO;; I don't think the people that are right now thinking about the new Haruhi series will be working on 801-chan if they are being produced at the same time.

About Full Metal Panic on the other hand, KyoAni has stated that FMP is not as sucessfull in Japan as abroad, so maybe it isn't one of their top priorities. Also the gentleman who directed Fumoffu and Second Raid - Yasuhiro Takemoto - is right now working on Haruhi 2 ... he can't do everything at the same time, can he Anime hyper

Also the title of this series not only can but is actually pronounced "Tonari no Yaoi-chan".
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
The FMP light novels are nearing the end, we'll probably get a series of it after the novels are completed.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Looks like Kyoto Animation is getting a lot of work to do. Be curious to see what they come up with. This series seems whacky enough.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Also the title of this series not only can but is actually pronounced "Tonari no Yaoi-chan".

"や-oh-い", huh? Cute.
Sekai-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit curious now and because it's KyoAni we're talking about. Otherwise, this would have been just another show which I'd know nothing about or so. Smile
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like Haruhi, I am so so so happy their next project isn't some moe crap (no offense!).
This is an absolutely watch for me! I've seen the drama, but I think the series would translate better as an anime.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually looking forward to this.
From what I read of the manga (the original, not the shoujo version) it was very cute and funny. The only downside was that all the dialog was handwritten by the manga-ka so it was difficult to read at times..
Anyway, I'll be watching this when it comes out. I want to see the drama too.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
KyoAni is now the worst studio because they figure "well, we'll obviously just make the most money if we keep turning out Key shit."

This seems an odd comment to make given this thread is about a non-Key title. Not to mention that Key titles make up less than half of their existing body of work and Haruhi being one of their big money makers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Honestly even Cowa/i] even seems better than this series. Turning into a green monster sounds like typical shonen fare, without the obnoxious loud mouth spikey haired male hero and the tolerable, but slightly annoying side kick.

I thought the third season of Full Metal Panic was the series finale of the Full Metal Panic series? I would enjoy another season, provided Luci Christian and Chris Aryes were still the voice actors of Chidori and Sousuke.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4