• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Making the Digital Jump With Viz Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFmove

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
I eas excited to read a comparison of ways to read legit digital manga. But am amazed how much wrong they are on basic stuff. The author apparently has never used a Nook Tablet. They must have been handed a couple screenshots and heard rumors.

I have a Nook Tablet and the page swiping is done correctly. It follows te native Japanese direction. So I am not sure what the author is talking about. Makes me wonder what else they got wrong.

Very strange that you would spend all this time to write an article that isn't well researched.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
(the iPad images still look sharper and crisper than the images on the Nook though, I must say. That must be what an additional $250 will get you...).

Yes, the iPad2 has 1024x768 resolution, while the NC is only 1024x600. An landscape image tuned for the iPad2 would have 28% more horizontal resolution.

Of course, held the same distance away from the eyes, the Nook pixels are smaller, so YMMV. And reconditioned Nooks are available from B&N on eBay right now for $130, so Value/Price is another YMMV point.

Last edited by agila61 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
this is nice and my ipod touch is great with the viz app.. but can some answer me one thing?? Does viz still the have publishing licnese for hayate the combat butler or is that limbo?? I love the series but 20 plus volumes series takes a tole and I need to move.

Viz is still putting out Hayate, just at the slooooow schedule of two volumes a year. Volume 19 comes out in the next week or so.

Unless you mean with the digital reader, in which case I'd point out that it's a Shonen Sunday title, not Shonen Jump.

I'm probably one of the few weird people who would rather have a digital Shonen Sunday over Jump anyways...
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
InitialT wrote:
The Real Naruto 54 Nook Edition
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76101568@N04/6833977053/in/photostream

Numbering Right-to-Left
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76101568@N04/6833980039/in/photostream

Another working full page spread - Bleach 1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76101568@N04/6833983127/in/photostream

So how do I explain the completely inaccurate article? Well, it should be noted that the Naruto title was only published on Nook TODAY. The author mentioned that he got his stuff from Viz directly. It would appear to me that Viz gave him a Nook that just had their proof copies "sideloaded" onto the Nook device. Unfortunately, if you don't buy it from the Nook store, it probably doesn't have the metadata to tell the device that it's manga and should be using right-to-left mode.

Once you realize that, all these mistakes make sense. But shame on Viz for handing over a device to a reviewer that puts their material on Nook in a bad light. They probably didn't realize their mistake either.

As a Nook owner and as someone who wants legal digital manga content to succeed, I hope Carlo will speak up about these errors and post a public correction to his review.

Well that's ... different from what I got.

I'd like to point out that, in the process of writing this article, I was borrowing a "pre-release" version of Viz's company Nook in late December 2011. So this is where all those pagination bugs came from. Since the final version is fixed, that's good! Someone on Viz's end caught the problem before releasing the final product.

So, no, I wasn't using "screenshots and rumours," I was using the actual hardware. It just turns out it was still kinda-sorta-beta. Neutral Sorry to confuse everyone and I hope this makes people more willing to use the Nook version (even if it is still a smaller screen/resolution).

A correction has been added to the end of the article. animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-02-06
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
paper for life for me, I enjoy reading on devices but I enjoy it 100 times more as books Cool
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
So, no, I wasn't using "screenshots and rumours," I was using the actual hardware. It just turns out it was still kinda-sorta-beta. ...

Hardware? Software, surely! (reminds me of the pair of mugs for programmers and electrical engineers: "Its a Hardware Problem" and "Its a Software Problem").

From the screenshot, that is the earlier version of the Nook firmware, so the basic Nook software shouldn't be a beta ... but it may be that they let Viz media have a Nook with a beta version of the reader program with the 1.4.1 update that was rolled out last December. Or it may be that it was just an ebook without the Right to Left orientation set up right.

Whether the problem was a beta reader from the 1.4.1 or a beta of the Viz emanga release, the hardware has been out for over a year. And other publishers have published emanga at B&N ~ the story here is the push by Viz Media to expand their profile at the B&N site.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Dragynstorm wrote:
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:

No more Psyren and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, while the latter isn't very good (And I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan), I was loving following the former in the monthly US Shonen Jump and it was just nice to get two new series instead of the ones that've gone on forever.

I was upset about the loss of Psyren in SJA, but I have been told this may actually be a good thing for fans, because it'll actually come out faster now, the books will be released every other month instead of… oh, I don't know how long it took for the books to start coming out. (Although if you don't buy the books and just read it through the magazine, I guess it's not a good thing at all…)

But yay, Psyren fan!

I only read Shonen Jump since I live in the middle of nowhere and don't really have much money to spend on manga even if I had the access. I would consider switching to buying Psyren digitally though as I really like it, but not if I have to read it on my laptop's browser as opposed to my dedicated reading device, the Kindle Fire.

RyanSaotome wrote:
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
All these "Digital Warps" punish the people that were following series legally, I'm not all that interested in reading two weeks after Japan if I'm still years behind. I guess I'm sticking with volumes for Bakuman.

Wow, didn't think I'd find someone upset that they are translating manga on a much faster schedule. The thing thats kept back SJ for years is that it was over a year behind, so this is a big upgrade.

Just go read scans or something to get caught up.

If I was just going to read the scans, why would I bother with WSJA? That's what I don't get, in targeting those that pirate the series, they've alienated the paying costumers. Plus, I really don't have the time to read that many chapters of One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto. I'd love to buy the missing Bakuman volumes, but it seems that series isn't getting a digital warp. So the only series that really interests me in WSJA isn't getting a legal means to read the story inbewtween. Yay!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
...I'll just stick with an actual book, thank you very much...
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
InitialT wrote:
The Real Naruto 54 Nook Edition
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76101568@N04/6833977053/in/photostream

Numbering Right-to-Left
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76101568@N04/6833980039/in/photostream

Another working full page spread - Bleach 1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76101568@N04/6833983127/in/photostream

So how do I explain the completely inaccurate article? Well, it should be noted that the Naruto title was only published on Nook TODAY. The author mentioned that he got his stuff from Viz directly. It would appear to me that Viz gave him a Nook that just had their proof copies "sideloaded" onto the Nook device. Unfortunately, if you don't buy it from the Nook store, it probably doesn't have the metadata to tell the device that it's manga and should be using right-to-left mode.

Once you realize that, all these mistakes make sense. But shame on Viz for handing over a device to a reviewer that puts their material on Nook in a bad light. They probably didn't realize their mistake either.

As a Nook owner and as someone who wants legal digital manga content to succeed, I hope Carlo will speak up about these errors and post a public correction to his review.

Well that's ... different from what I got.

I'd like to point out that, in the process of writing this article, I was borrowing a "pre-release" version of Viz's company Nook in late December 2011. So this is where all those pagination bugs came from. Since the final version is fixed, that's good! Someone on Viz's end caught the problem before releasing the final product.

So, no, I wasn't using "screenshots and rumours," I was using the actual hardware. It just turns out it was still kinda-sorta-beta. Neutral Sorry to confuse everyone and I hope this makes people more willing to use the Nook version (even if it is still a smaller screen/resolution).

A correction has been added to the end of the article. animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-02-06

Thanks for responding to what's been raised here in the forums. Seems odd that Viz would give you a Nook/Viz manga version that was beta. Didn't they think to check it before they gave it to you to review (and potentially influence thousands of readers)? Makes me wonder how much they care about people who read manga on anything other than an Apple product.
darkcat1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Digital doesn't work for me as I don't want an ipad and even though it was slow I loved all those nice giant comic book paper pages in the English monthly Shonen Jump. As for pirating stuff I run around so much I barely have time to check my email let alone look for bad scantlations on the internet.

I liked that notebook sized magna as it fit easily in my bag, was alot lager than the graphic novels and I could read it anywhere. The size is something an iPad will never match...
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
darkcat1 wrote:
Digital doesn't work for me as I don't want an ipad and even though it was slow I loved all those nice giant comic book paper pages in the English monthly Shonen Jump. ...

Meanwhile, digital works great for me, so long as its panel by panel guided view. Zoom and slide around, not so much.

Which means that while I can read Vol1 of Girlfriends that I bought at JManga, I cannot read either Poor Poor Lips or Moritosan wa Makuchi. Ah the qualified joys of being at the leading edge of change.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure having the ability to read manga via digital devices will be a welcomed improvement to those who like to keep up to date, or as up to date as possible, with the publications in Japan. It is similar to those folks who like to watch anime as close to the original Japanese broadcast via simulcast streams. There's a certain convenience that's afforded, but also a lack of permanence. Some people will gravitate towards the strictly digital side, while others will lean more towards having physical media, and there are those who will be content with both (for example, Picard and his physical books, while also using his digital pad for reading specs, briefs, etc on ST:TNG).

Personally, I prefer the physical media form of titles I like and purchase to add to my collection, be it paper books or DVDs/BDs. For transient items, though, I can see where digital devices and apps would be a big benefit.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to the author for updating the article (after getting a non-beta Nook/Viz app-thing). It's obviously good to know that two-page spreads aren't butchered and warped on the Nook, but in fact look like they do in the print manga (albeit with less clarity and resolution than on an iPad).

After wrestling with the issue, I've concluded that digital is probably the way manga distribution is headed in the U.S., and I have mixed feelings about it. I'm looking into a tablet primarily to read manga on, since I believe print will become less available eventually and a tablet will become necessary (if one doesn't want to read manga on a computer screen - which I don't. I read too much on a computer as it is.).

So I will likely get a tablet in the near future. The iPad price genuinely irks me ($500?? you can buy 2 Nook tablets for that!), but manga does look pretty on it. It looks pretty good on the Nook too, though. Decisions, decisions. Smile
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
paper for life for me, I enjoy reading on devices but I enjoy it 100 times more as books Cool

I get the point you're making, really do. But just to play devils advocate and why I keep BEGGING Viz (and Yen Press) to put out a dang Android app.

Weight of my Android tablet = 1.5 lbs
Weight of 1 manga volume = ~0.5 lbs

(to use your 100x more number)
Weight of 100 vols on my tablet = 1.5 lbs
Weight of 100 vols of paper manga = ~50 lbs

When I travel, I could have 50+ vols of "One Piece", 30+ vols of "Rurouni Kenshin" and 10 (or so) vols of "Bakuman" all for reading and reference on my tablet. Even ignoring WEIGHT, I couldn't have even half that with actual books (only for reasons of BULK).

(plus, if you work professionally or even are a university student, you can be a LOT more sneaky about what you're reading with a tablet) Wink

---

In all seriousness tho, when I saw a Nook review for the Viz stuff, I DL'd the Nook app that DAY and registered for B&N only to be horrifically disappointed that it is completely Nook (tablet) specific and I could not BUY this stuff on my current device) Anime hyper

Last edited by HeeroTX on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
... So I will likely get a tablet in the near future. The iPad price genuinely irks me ($500?? you can buy 2 Nook tablets for that!), but manga does look pretty on it. It looks pretty good on the Nook too, though. Decisions, decisions. Smile

If there's some combination that supports panel by panel guided view, a 7" tablet becomes a lot more useful as a manga reader, especially since you can flip it to portrait every once in a while for a tall and skinny panel. I find on a 10" screen with full page panel to panel view, there's not even the need for an occasional flip (good thing, too, since that's my netbook).

But in any event, I'd want to see a YouTube clip of how the Nook built-in reader handles reading sections of a page and how convenient it is to read panel by panel without some kind of GuidedView system built in before I'd buy it primarily as a manga reader.

Another option to keep in mind is the Kobo Vox, which is the most open of the three main 7" LCD ebook readers / media tablets (not surprising, since they are very distinctly third place in that list). I got my Nook because the price of the refurbished unit brought it into my price range, but if I was buying at the common $200 MSRP of the NookColor, KindleTab and KoboVox, I'd lean to the Vox.

The only general panel by panel system for Android that I know of is comiXology, and I don't know how shallow their selection of manga is. Panelfly seems to be another system aiming for the ease of use crown, but I think they are not yet rolled out to the broader Android market.

In any event, now that I have my Nook ad have it rooted, if something becomes available in the Android ecosystem that is a better solution to the built in, I'm able to take advantage of it. Of course, for me it's all bonus since I bought it as an ebook reader and streaming anime viewer, and with the Crunchyroll and Crackle apps and the built in ebook reader, I'm happy with it for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7