• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
...So, is anyone gonna bother asking the Queen of the Fairies what she came to warn Rimuru about?

Right? I'm guessing since it isn't a focus it might just be about things that have already happened, so it's going to get played off as a joke, but you'd think Rimuru would be a bit more concerned. Then again, unless Milim is on her way, it's not like there's much to worry about considering everything that's happened Laughing

I thought her "warning" was that Falmuth was coming to attack them, that's why nobody took her seriously.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Cryten wrote:

You dont make gods your leaders, you diefy them.

Depends on their particular leadership style.

If nothing else there are plenty of real-world examples of people deifying their leaders while still living. (Generally without great results.)
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:02 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
^ To put it simply, there are two flavors of Demon Lord: self-avowed and True. Some people *claim* to be Demon Lords, and as long as the other Demon Lords accept it, then that person is considered to be a Demon Lord. A *True* Demon Lord is someone that has been stated to be a Demon Lord by the Voice of the World. This is what Rimuru did, and what Clayman *wants* to do. He was being set up to bring this about, but then a certain slime went and Ruined Everything(tm.). This has made Clayman... annoyed, perhaps excessively so.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Emerje wrote:

I thought her "warning" was that Falmuth was coming to attack them, that's why nobody took her seriously.

Emerje

Yes, that's what I was referring to ("things that have already happened"). Sorry that I wasn't clear on that.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
After this ep its pretty clear that they're dragging this out as much as they can. Sure build up is important in any good story but still...
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
They finally actually had the conversation that matters and Rimuru continues in his path of happily ordering the destruction of a nation to further his own goals. Also once again the title seems to have nothing to do with the content of the episode as no one danced, instead they had a bath.

I wonder if we will get any action next episode and if the action will present some interesting and/or entertaining scenario's. If the title isnt deceiving then the episode is just a prelude to the real fighting so it may just be another episode of meetings. How do you suppose they will rescue the beast nation? I wonder if Rimuru's teleport powers will morph into mass teleport. In that case he could simply sight to sight teleport himself along mountains to the beast nation and then act as a ferryman to his entire army.

Also curious that they seem to imply some kind of horrible mangled body horror for their prisoners while still treating this like some 5pm kids show in the way people talk and joke. You know I would of thought that having a demon secretary would amount to more than him becoming more human and then slinking away to a mission. Did they author try and make his own Demiurge character but miss the part where he was actually really clever.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you are probably right about the Overlord style of humor. You certainly do not want to get on Shion's bad side. Sounds like the anime didn't show you the full horror of what was done.

I really don't have any problem with what happens to the Kingdom of Farmus, they declared war, they invaded Tempest with the goal of killing and raping everyone, and then looting everything. When you look at it that way, it is quite clear that the Kingdom of Farmus will suffer a much kinder fate, than what they planned for Tempest. I think that adds points to Rimuru's good side.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Also curious that they seem to imply some kind of horrible mangled body horror for their prisoners while still treating this like some 5pm kids show in the way people talk and joke. You know I would of thought that having a demon secretary would amount to more than him becoming more human and then slinking away to a mission. Did they author try and make his own Demiurge character but miss the part where he was actually really clever.

The anime didn't show what really happened. Trust me it wasn't pretty and although I can understand why they didn't show it I still wish they did.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:48 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yeah, you are probably right about the Overlord style of humor. You certainly do not want to get on Shion's bad side. Sounds like the anime didn't show you the full horror of what was done.

I really don't have any problem with what happens to the Kingdom of Farmus, they declared war, they invaded Tempest with the goal of killing and raping everyone, and then looting everything. When you look at it that way, it is quite clear that the Kingdom of Farmus will suffer a much kinder fate, than what they planned for Tempest. I think that adds points to Rimuru's good side.

I mean, I don't think it's a good practice to determine who is "good" by comparing atrocities and claiming that your own aren't as bad. Especially when one side technically hadn't committed those atrocities yet. I'm not going to pretend they didn't intend to but I'm not sure if that's something Rimuru knew 100% (they didn't brag to his face that they were going to rape and pillage, that was for the audience) nor something I think Rimuru particularly cared about. Let's not pretend that starting a civil war to install a puppet ruler (that clearly doesn't care about the country) is a kind fate for a country. We only need to look at any real life example to know what happens eventually.

Also, are we meant to take how they tortured and mutilated their prisoners as a joke? It's spliced in between a mundane conversation about how they'll instigate a civil war in Falmuth and Shion being incompetent at her joke. I mean, the prisoners are not nice people but torture isn't something good people do. Is Rimuru aware of how they extracted information?

I can't tell what the music person is thinking when working on this series. Long stretches where there's no background music (fine) but then they play that happy, triumphant jingle when Rimuru declares he'll go to war against Clayman. Normally, I'd expect foreboding, or tense, or dramatic music to accompany that. Are they in on the joke?
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:58 am Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
I mean, I don't think it's a good practice to determine who is "good" by comparing atrocities and claiming that your own aren't as bad. Especially when one side technically hadn't committed those atrocities yet. I'm not going to pretend they didn't intend to but I'm not sure if that's something Rimuru knew 100% (they didn't brag to his face that they were going to rape and pillage, that was for the audience) nor something I think Rimuru particularly cared about. Let's not pretend that starting a civil war to install a puppet ruler (that clearly doesn't care about the country) is a kind fate for a country. We only need to look at any real life example to know what happens eventually.

Also, are we meant to take how they tortured and mutilated their prisoners as a joke? It's spliced in between a mundane conversation about how they'll instigate a civil war in Falmuth and Shion being incompetent at her joke. I mean, the prisoners are not nice people but torture isn't something good people do. Is Rimuru aware of how they extracted information?

I can't tell what the music person is thinking when working on this series. Long stretches where there's no background music (fine) but then they play that happy, triumphant jingle when Rimuru declares he'll go to war against Clayman. Normally, I'd expect foreboding, or tense, or dramatic music to accompany that. Are they in on the joke?

IIRC the anime changed it up but he does know even if he didn't witness it first hand. It just didn't bother him because he knows he can use his full potions to restore them back to normal as long as Shion didn't kill them.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:27 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

IIRC the anime changed it up but he does know even if he didn't witness it first hand. It just didn't bother him because he knows he can use his full potions to restore them back to normal as long as Shion didn't kill them.

I'm not sure how to interpret this. It's clear that Rimuru doesn't have a moral code where torture is ok but murder isn't. If anything, it should be the opposite since despite the mass slaughter from earlier, it seems like the soldiers didn't (physically) suffer more than necessary. Is Rimuru letting this happen because he wants them to suffer as much as possible as punishment? In which case, it seems strange that he's going to eventually let them go back to Falmuth.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:49 am Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
GhostD wrote:

I'm not sure how to interpret this. It's clear that Rimuru doesn't have a moral code where torture is ok but murder isn't. If anything, it should be the opposite since despite the mass slaughter from earlier, it seems like the soldiers didn't (physically) suffer more than necessary. Is Rimuru letting this happen because he wants them to suffer as much as possible as punishment? In which case, it seems strange that he's going to eventually let them go back to Falmuth.

I'm just basing what I said on my admittedly questionable memory. I don't have it in me to reread my copy of vol 6 of the LN cos they tend to be a slog to read through. But I did check the manga version and it shows Rimuru visiting the king in prison so assuming that was also how it went in the LN, it's very likely he knows they were tortured but not how badly. Even in the anime version Youm and Mjurran pretty much admit to it and the most he does is briefly look uneasy and its kinda played for laughs.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote
Yes, Rimuru requested the extraction of information from the former King, and the other two prisoners. But how that was done, was all on Shion. I don't think even Rimuru knew you could do that to human bodies, much less order it done. That was some imaginative use by Shion of her new skill. And yes it was a true horror fest. But Shion is Shion, and these evil villains caused her death, hurt her Rimuru and attacked Tempest. We all know that even Rimuru and the other Oni fear Shion's anger. spoiler[Rimuru knows what was done, he saw first hand Shion's handiwork. But what's done is done. Rimuru will parse his orders better next time.] I can't really be mad at Shion anyway. The King of Farmus' machinations was what caused her death.

Not going to debate the tonal whiplash. It is on each individual viewer as to whether you like it, don't like it, or simply don't care. It doesn't bother me at all, and when I think about it, I remember that there have been other anime series that start out light hearted, but become much darker as time goes on.

Just because Rimuru destroyed all the plans of the Kingdom of Farmus, and the simple killing/raping hopes of the soldiers of Farmus, doesn't invalidate what the Kingdom of Farmus and it's soldiers were going to do just because they failed to follow through. Since Tempest is not going to do to Farmus, what Farmus was going to do to Tempest, Farmus in the end is going to have a much kinder fate than what was intended for Tempest.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Not going to debate the tonal whiplash. It is on each individual viewer as to whether you like it, don't like it, or simply don't care. It doesn't bother me at all, and when I think about it, I remember that there have been other anime series that start out light hearted, but become much darker as time goes on.

I think what most people complaining about the tone have been taking issue with isn’t the series starting off lighter and becoming darker, but rather the subject matter becoming darker while the tone remains largely the same. So it seems to them the heavier subject matter isn’t being treated with adequate consequence.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I think what most people complaining about the tone have been taking issue with isn’t the series starting off lighter and becoming darker, but rather the subject matter becoming darker while the tone remains largely the same. So it seems to them the heavier subject matter isn’t being treated with adequate consequence.

Yes, this is it exactly. A darker shift in subject matter is fine, but when the show treats it with the same goofy upbeat attitude as the rest of the show we as the audience are left confused about how we're supposed to be feeling about all this.

I feel like I should be feeling "Oh my god Rimuru just killed 10 000 people and became a demon lord, how will this affect things moving forward?" but the show is like "haha Rimuru just killed 10 000 people and became a demon lord what a lovable goofball, time for more goofy hi jinx".

Like Gintama was a goofy comedy but when it got serious it always adjusted the tone appropriately, Slime just seems to be maintaining the same tone it always has regardless of what's actually going on in the show.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I understand that. I guess as they say, mileage will vary per person.

Personnally I like anime that does both. Really don't like a light hearted anime, slowly sinking into a depressing morass of darkness. Unless there is some 'real' revenge/vengeance in there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 45