• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You know, you really come across as an old fogey, and I just cannot take you seriously.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
You just sound like an old man who yells at kids to get off his lawn, then mutters about how everything was just so much better back in the old days.

I guess he really did have an unpopular opinion.

Quote:
...I don't like Taiga Fujimura from the first Fate stay Night anime. I don't hate her, but I really dislike her. She's not funny, she serves no purpose story-wise, and she's just really grating on my nerves. There's almost nothing to like about her!

You're not the only one. When I saw her on the trailers for UBW I groaned out loud and had a momentary temptation not to watch the new show because of her.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, Lilie (alone with Pique) is a very divisive character among the Tutu fanbase. To tell you the truth, I didn't mind her the first time around. Second time, though? That's when I DESPISED her. Allow me to explain.

You know characters like Tomo from Azumanga Daioh? She was a pretty divisive character too, but I liked her enough for her to be my second favorite character. I rather like jerk humor, which she was the epitome of within the show. However, Tomo was A) punished regularly by the narrative and B) had a good voice actress who I wish was in more anime. The jerk must be punished in order for the joke to work. Schadenfreude and all.

Lilie is not seen as the b***h she is. Oh no, the narrative thinks that not only is her cruelty towards Duck ~lol hilarious~ but CHARMING. She never receives punishment, nor does she ever consider that her actions are wrong. She's a total b***h, and I am so happy that she's shoved out of the way by the time the last episodes aired. My god, I. HATE. LILIE.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I disagree in that it's meant to be seen as charming or not mean, she's the only character that doesn't have a single serious moment (even her friend had one spoiler[when she was about to be controlled]), she's just a mean character played for laughs and that's it. I don't think she's too despicable in her actions for me to feel bad or awkward that it's played for comedy, and in the end I just found her comedy funny, so I don't mind and I don't think every mean character needs to be directly said to be "terrible" and punished about it when it's already obvious enough and the show doesn't try to hide it.

In the case of Tomo from Azumanga Daioh I like her too, and to be honest in her case even if people don't like her they have to admit that it's probably the most essential character of the group because she's the one that sets up most of the comedy because of her hiperactivity and gives the other calmer girls situations to work against each other.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And in terms of unpopular anime opinions (at least by the standards of this site): Yurikuma Arashi is so enamored with symbolism that it makes itself inscrutable to anyone who isn't similarly enamored. It also an intellectual exercise rather than an actual work of entertainment.

Well, I for one completely agree with you on this. Yuri Kuma Arashi simply doesn't work as entertainment, and it doesn't even work as a piece of art. It only works as intellectual discourse. Everything that happens and all the characters that populate the story don't matter in and of themselves, they are merely allegories to get a particular message across. I really hate that about Ikuhara.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You know characters like Tomo from Azumanga Daioh?

Tomo kills me Anime hyper Some loon posted a video on Youtube of Tomo yelling "BAKA" that loops for ten minutes.

Speaking of School Rumble a page back....

Did anyone else hate the pairings in School Rumble as much as me?

KarasumaxTenma?

SERIOUSLY?

That guy was a freak! I couldn't understand what she could possibly like about him; he flat-out admitted that he liked curry more than her.

Comedy or not, Karasuma was the most unlikable, unrelatable, weirdo "love interest" I've ever seen. He may as well have been an android. But anime androids have more personality than that. I felt bad for Harima during the whole series and loved his little manga episodes where he turns Karasuma into a villain so he could rescue Tenma. Anime hyper
guildmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
... Sounds like you just blindly hate those genres rather than giving them a chance. And heck, there are so many great anime openings and closings that aren't J-pop or J-rock that it should be easy to find songs you like.

You know, you really come across as an old fogey, and I just cannot take you seriously...

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I'm with dtm42 on this one. You just sound like an old man who yells at kids to get off his lawn, then mutters about how everything was just so much better back in the old days. And for the record, from what little I saw of School Rumble (because my commitment skills are non-existent) I liked BOTH songs. The first opening I felt was more big-band like than J-poppy. Which reminds me...I really have to try and see that one all the way through this summer...

One either likes a music genre or not, I have over 100 anime sets and I've heard more than enough j- or k-whatever to seriously dislike it, regardless of the language the vocals are in.

Apparently dtm42 spends his or her entire life on anime forums and as such I'll just discount anything fro him / her 100%.

Seriously, you both need to step away from the screen, get outside and run on some old guy's lawn. Just don't run on mine, you might trip on the concertina or set off the claymores. Razz

Actually, I could care less about my lawn; I park a boat and sometimes the Fleetwood on it and paint small (and not so small) car parts on it, but today I used the sidewalk. At least I didn't get any dark blue paint on the concrete this time. My neighbors, that's another story. One of them is in a one man contest with himself for the best lawn in the area and the one across the street is the town drunk (and he ratted me out about my boat to the condo nazis one time Twisted Evil ). So now I park my Fleetwood with a cover so that he sees it when he comes out his front door. I think he's just jealous. His wife made him sell his truck because he isn't working any more and we have 4 cars. So he has no wheels and I have 4 to choose from. Laughing

Last edited by guildmaster on Thu May 14, 2015 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi. That's the joke. Tenma is so silly she has a crush on the weirdest dude in the world. I guess that's because Karasuma wasn't of this world. I doubt that's an unpopular opinion though. Is there really someone who wanted that pairing to happen?

I didn't feel bad for Harima though. Harima could have had Yakumo or Eri, but still chose to go after that... dimwit.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I know that was the joke.....but jokes should be funny. :/

Cam0 wrote:
I didn't feel bad for Harima though. Harima could have had Yakumo or Eri, but still chose to go after that... dimwit.

Actually, that's my unpopular opinion. Anime hyper While everyone else was shipping for Eri or Yakumo, I wanted him to be with the girl he truly liked. Because I didn't like the other two for him. I thought it was so cute that he decided to change for Tenma and thought their personalities went well together (both being dimwits!).
guildmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Speaking of School Rumble a page back....

Did anyone else hate the pairings in School Rumble as much as me?

KarasumaxTenma?

SERIOUSLY?...

It anime and a stoopid funny HD comedy anime at that. Anyone taking any of this at any level of seriousness needs to take the advice I gave to dtm42 above.

When I first saw some of the episodes out of sequence I did think Karasuma was from outer space, but the whole thing makes me laugh and takes my mind off of the worlds problems.

I'd still like to know how Harima could afford a big block HD when he never has two nickels to rub together...
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
Apparently dtm42 spends his or her entire life on anime forums and as such I'll just discount anything fro him / her 100%.

That insult was about a 3/10 - you'll have to do better.

guildmaster wrote:
Actually, I could care less about my lawn; I park a boat and sometimes the Fleetwood on it and paint small (and not so small) car parts on it, but today I used the sidewalk. At least I didn't get any dark blue paint on the concrete this time. My neighbors, that's another story. One of them is in a one man contest with himself for the best lawn in the area and the one across the street is the town drunk (and he ratted me out about my boat to the condo nazis one time Twisted Evil ). So now I park my Fleetwood with a cover so that he sees it when he comes out his front door. I think he's just jealous. His wife made him sell his truck because he isn't working any more and we have 4 cars. So he has no wheels and I have 4 to choose from. Laughing

You must be an awfully insecure person if bragging to strangers about how many vehicles you own makes you feel good about yourself.

But hey, at least you're as cute as a baby rabbit, so you do have that going for you.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It anime and a stoopid funny HD comedy anime at that. Anyone taking any of this at any level of seriousness needs to take the advice I gave to dtm42 above.

NO.
I shan't take such advice.
Shipping is SIRIS BIZNESS, BRUH.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:

things likely to inflame dtm42.

dtm42 wrote:

things in retaliation.

Stop now, please. Use PMs for any further discourse on the topic. Thank you.

(And if that picture wasn't so funny I'd delete it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Thank you errinundra for giving the baby rabbit a stay of execution.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I've always liked the "I'm in your field picking my nose" variation of that bunny picture. Would have fitted a bit more into the "get off my lawn" talk.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
[Edit]: I said to stop. I meant it. Errinundra.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 84