• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-05-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
While it may not have been explicit, I thought the ending of Voices was pretty clear: spoiler[He ends up receiving email from a girl who died, trapped in the cockpit of her mech, years previously. There was nothing he could do but sit there and watch it happen.]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
The anime that's probably disappointed me the most so far would have to be Voices of a Distant Star. The animation is wonderful, and there's an intriguing concept being explored.

However, I think this piece is incomplete. Shinkai spends the time building up the story and the characters, and then it just suddenly STOPS, and there's no resolution. When the credits rolled, I was like, "Is this IT? This can't be it. The story's not finished!"

After first seeing it, my reaction was much the same as yours. A pinnacle point in the film seemed to taper off in an abrupt manner, or at least prima facie.

Later on the same night, I reflected upon the final events of the film, and how the last scene differed from the earliest ones. In virtue of its short length, I decided to spare the time to rewatch it, this time with foreknowledge of its conclusion. Now, I understand you may by no means be inclined to do likewise, for we may simply bear different dispositions to react to certain cinematic works. Nonetheless, my second viewing was sufficient for me to hold the film in the highest of opinion.

Of course, full closure is not provided, or at least not in the OVA. (As Takeyo mentions however, there are certainly implications.) Whether the story actually requires a detailed epilogue is, I hold, another matter entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You kidding me? That was like the only character I liked ... Steve Blum does him justice.

Agreed. To me, Kamina was the most entertaining and the only reason i contiuned to watch the series. spoiler[After he died, i stopped watching it for while.]

Quote:
But the one I was most disappointed by? Death Note. Oh God I hated that show. And Naruto. (But I was expecting that) And Gunslinger Girl.

Naruto? Don't get me started! If i'm going to waste my time watching a show with no plot (ANYWHERE) and most of the characters are just plain annoying, i would like if the main 'ninja wannabe' would wear some BLACK clothes!!!

[Mod Edit: Please tag spoilers like that in the future. - Keonyn]
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... it sounds like my husband and I may have both missed something when we watched this. We may need to re-watch Voices at some point after we clear out the backlog of anime DVDs sitting on our shelf that we haven't watched yet.

Zin5ki wrote:
After first seeing it, my reaction was much the same as yours. A pinnacle point in the film seemed to taper off in an abrupt manner, or at least prima facie.

Later on the same night, I reflected upon the final events of the film, and how the last scene differed from the earliest ones. In virtue of its short length, I decided to spare the time to rewatch it, this time with foreknowledge of its conclusion. Now, I understand you may by no means be inclined to do likewise, for we may simply bear different dispositions to react to certain cinematic works. Nonetheless, my second viewing was sufficient for me to hold the film in the highest of opinion.

Of course, full closure is not provided, or at least not in the OVA. (As Takeyo mentions however, there are certainly implications.) Whether the story actually requires a detailed epilogue is, I hold, another matter entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go to Safeway to buy a prepaid card tomorrow. Big Windup for 20 dollars is freaking ridiculous. I need to get that...like right now.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
Commentary on 2 shows all ready mentioned:

"Voices of a Distant Star".....though the 2 characters lacked some definition in their facial features compared to other anime character renderings I liked this story a lot. Shinkai was able to convey, in a short time period, the consequence(s) of life choices. I didn't have to mull through 10+ more episodes and 4+ hours of extra viewing time to arrive at my conclusions about the show or what point he was trying to put across to his audience.

School Days....I felt the ending chosen in Chapter 12 saved the anime series from being just another shallow harem tale. The game that part of this anime was based on offered alternative endings; some gentler, others not so much. Too bad the viewer wasn't offered some of those other choices (look these up in Wikipedia if you're curious). When initially watching these eps on YouTube I couldn't help but marvel at the lack of adult or parental supervision over these kids either at home or school. At least the manga shows scenes of parental guidance for some of these students sprinkled throughout the plotline. Not so in this anime: the kids run the school and determine the social activities. The storyline could have been better written; the character roles made more believable. As mediocre as it was aired in the first 11 Chapters/Eps thankfully the last episode should guarantee no sequel.

The worst anime I have ever suffered through: sadly, that is yet to come. There are several series I have started but will never finish (Baccano, HellGirl, Bleach, Black Lagoon...to name a few) and I have my reasons for my lack of interest: reminiscent of old movie plots and TV shows (some aired before you were born and "happily" not resurrected by syndication). I have read many of the forum threads here and will take heed and likely avoid many titles all ready listed. Thanks! Your input has saved me time and $$. And, believe me, time is a real factor here. At my age I have more $$ than time.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Quote:
You kidding me? That was like the only character I liked ... Steve Blum does him justice.

Agreed. To me, Kamina was the most entertaining and the only reason i contiuned to watch the series. spoiler[After he died, i stopped watching it for while.]

Actually I think you mistake what I wrote - just to clear things up. I was saying that Leeron was my favourite character and that I really hated Kamina. Also Steven Blum does the voice of Leeron so ...

But now you mention it, I might need to go on youtube and watch Kamina's death that one more time. For lols sake. ^^

The bloopers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6EO4_1t8qc

Must see even if you do hate the show.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
Pants wrote:
Quote:
Case in point: Big Windup!. Everybody who decided to sit it out and see if or when Big Windup! would, pardon the pun, wind up as a cheaper collection were partly responsible for the show being the sales disappointment it was. Who knows, we may even still see a Big Windup! Viridian collection somewhere down the line - but you know what we WON'T be seeing? The second season.

They're actually releasing the whole show for $30 in August.

Honestly, I feel bad for those who paid $100+ for the two sets. Confused

I feel bad for not picking up the half sets, lol.

But I'll be pre-ordering that SAVE edition. Especially because of the sale going on.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote
I admire you, Brian, for giving such a great response to that question about dubs. A lesser columnist might have given in to the temptation and resorted to mentioning the sub/dub argument in some way. Good work.

About Final Fantasy: Unlimited, I absolutely love this series despite its many flaws (which I readily acknowledge). In part because of the characters (Ai and Makenshi in particular), in part because it was my first anime, and in part because even today the story holds a certain magic to me. And the so-called "After" chapters have, to me, revealed the genius of its plot and only solidified my love for it as a whole.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The person who said something about Elfen Lied being uninteresting on the second and third viewings actually voices my concerns about re-watching old shows that I liked. What if novelty was the best part of it? I'd prefer not ruining my memories. Then again, I tried watching a couple of favourites and actually found that they impressed me more than before.

And, wow, another person who completely misses the point of Gurren Lagann...
Quote:
The worst part of the series is that it takes itself so seriously. I'm all for wackiness and the like, but only if it's done for the sake of comedy.

... and it's staring him right in the face. Confused
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how people feel watching shows that have twists or shocking revelations in them. Is the show as good in repeat viewings?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
For me, it depends on the characters and their chemistry. If I like the characters and love how they interact and the story mixes with that all well, its a winner for many viewings. I do this for every medium.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I agree with Ben on both of these. You and I agree, Ben. (we agree on things)

I have to agree as well, though maybe not as strongly, but still, the 3rd Tenchi OVA definitely did not hold up to it's predecessors. Not that I imagined much would, but the 3rd series felt so disjointed from the previous two that it failed in its execution. The manga series was much more enjoyable and had better plot ideas imo. I have to wonder what the 3rd OVA would have been like if it had been made with the other two all those years ago. Was this really how Masaki Kajishima was planning to have it end at the time?

I also have to agree about the Nadesico movie, but even more so. It was a horrible ending to the show. When I like a series, like Nadesico, I always get any OVAs, movies etc, but this was the first time I didn't. Personally, I don't even think of it when considering the quality of the series.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
If School days can kill the part of you that knows how to fall in love, it must be one hell of a show! This I gotta see.

I agree about Elfen Lied. But since I watched a fair way into my anime watching career, I was disappointed the first time around. We should have a thread on "Anime you thought was aweome years ago, but now you think is weak".

I haven't seen Gurren Lagann yet, but I don't see why a mech piloting a mech piloting a mech is a bad thing. It sounds like the crazy killings in When They Cry - yes, it's too much, but it's just too much enough to be awesome.

Fallen Wings wrote:
But the one I was most disappointed by? Death Note. Oh God I hated that show. And Naruto. (But I was expecting that) And Gunslinger Girl.

Gunslinger Girl?!? Yeah, and chocolate cake tastes awful too.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
And I'm pretty sure that most Vision of Escaflowne fans can say that the manga is not only sub-par to the anime but is entirely unreadable.

Not sure if I would go that far, but the manga was still better than the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5