• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - But is it Art?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
There have been recent examples of anime being broadcast on TV censored and then being offered elsewhere around the same time in a "director's cut" fashion, unedited. Seikon No Qwaser is a good example.

Really, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the same thing goes for HighSchool of the Dead, which is even more ridiculous censorship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I think the same thing goes for HighSchool of the Dead, which is even more ridiculous censorship.

Censorship in Japan get a bit ridiculous also just like USA. Did you know the upcoming game, Call of Duty: Black Ops is censored in Japanalthough it got a Z-rating from CERO? The gory dismemberment in the game is censored in Japan yet this is the same Japan that make a lot of gory anime like Elfien Lied, and gory movies like Ichi the Killer, Tokyo Gore Police, and Audition. Yet video game with gore and dismemberment in Japan is bad. I don't understand how this work in Japan.

But I do see what you mean. I wasn't aware High School of the dead got the same treatment. This is why I stop watching fansub because of the censorship found on Japanese network version.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the American public (or groups who claim representation of them) have a odd line for what should be allowed (yes violence, no sex) in entertainment.

The news of harsh ratings and taboo content for video games are myriad all over the world.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
About the fanservice being censored on anime. that was the reason why I stop watching fansub anime. Because I couldn't tell what anime was uncut and which was censored. That's why I'm glad most of our anime (I know some are censored like Strike Witches, Vampire Bund) are uncut on legal site like Funimation's video portal, Youtube, Hulu. I was a little upset when Sekirei: Pure Engagement is censored when Funimation did a simulcast for it. I'm glad that was brought up on the Answerman's interview.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
There have been recent examples of anime being broadcast on TV censored and then being offered elsewhere around the same time in a "director's cut" fashion, unedited. Seikon No Qwaser is a good example.

True simulcasts which occur within an hour of airing at some (not necessarily the earliest) Japanese broadcast will often be the broadcast version (which broadcast version is sometimes unclear since there can be seven or more broadcasters for some anime, and could even air at times that have different ratings ~ you need more steam at 11pm than at 2am), simply because that is the cut that is finished at the time.

The unedited version is done for the DVD volumes, since a primary purpose of putting animation that needs to be censored for broadcast is to sell more DVDs where the unedited version is made available.

When the stream is uploaded by the DVD licensor (many Funimation streams, or Queen's Blade at Crunchy), its an unedited stream because its the source for the DVD master that they are working with.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
In Seikon no Qwaser's case. they put up an unedited stream in about a day or so after the edited broadcast, if I'm remembering any of that correctly.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
In Seikon no Qwaser's case. they put up an unedited stream in about a day or so after the edited broadcast, if I'm remembering any of that correctly.

Yes, BIGlobe is doing the unedited stream in Japan (similar to the sell DVD gimick, except to get Japanese viewers to come to BIGlobe for their anime streams), so they have to have the unedited cut available in time to stream on NEC BIGlobe.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
agila61 wrote:
rabrek wrote:
Rationalize the past as a once-popular sitcom you used to watch, and never speak of it to anyone who's unaware that Paul McCartney wasn't always a solo act.
Paul McCartney went solo?

It's been interesting to watch McCartney's identity evolve across the generations. Twenty years ago, it was "Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" Now it really does boil down to "Paul McCartney was in a band???" Of course, it's been a trick question all along. Everyone knows Paul Is Dead - he never had a chance to go solo. Full points awarded to agila61!

At the moment, I'm waxing nostalgic for carbon paper and mimeograph machines. Remember the smell of mimeographed copies? Mmmmm. I can only imagine how many brain cells perished.
Oh, god, I still remember the mimeograph copies that my math teacher would hand out in junior high. The mimeograph machine was so piss poor -- just like the pencil sharpeners that could never truly sharpen a pencil -- that he would often have to tell us what the numbers were in the various problems.

And computers? The computer lab was equipped with Commodore 64s!
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
To be fair, the American public (or groups who claim representation of them) have a odd line for what should be allowed (yes violence, no sex) in entertainment.

The news of harsh ratings and taboo content for video games are myriad all over the world.

Yeah I agree with you. The same thing can be applied to Japan except it's the opposite.

Violence: bad (except film and anime although it can be censor)
Sex: Good but comes with limit
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5