• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Sun Kil Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
That would not be a wise decision, you'd get stuck with filler episodes that might not serve any purpose, as it happened with the original series, and many other animes.

I never get complaints about filler. If you don't like it you can just skip it.. but if it never gets made then no one can enjoy it. I personally like filler episodes and some of my favorite episodes in the original were filler. My favorite episode of Cowboy Bebop was a filler episode just because of the way the crew all played off each other and it was pretty much the only episode where they did that. They can be fun romps in between the plot-heavy episodes.

I didn't mind Sailor Moon's filler episodes, I just have fear that it will tread into Nadia territory... (remember the infamous Island/Africa arcs?)...or even Naruto/Bleach territory in terms of content.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
So Japanese storytelling has been deeply influenced by this book which cuts off in mid-sentence.

Is that why so many manga, anime, and light novels have such god-awful endings?

No, that's just a result of how anime gets made, often adapted from books or manga that are ongoing and the anime doesn't have enough episodes to cover completely. So they either just stop at some part of it, leaving it incomplete, or they make up an ending, to varying (but usually mediocre to bad) results.
loka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I prefer minimal to no pre-buzz for a show.

I'll judge an anime by its content, not by its synopsis / marketing campaign. I'll typically be watching > 8 hours worth in the first 2 weeks, ~ 5 in the 3rd, and settling around 3-4 for rest of the season.

The no-spoiler approach is best to me, and it has made watching anime more enjoyable.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
We Vocaloid fans have been waiting since last summer for any news of the release of the Hatsune Miku Vocaloid3 app with an English language version. We were teased back in October that it will be released "Spring 2013". Well its 2013 ,and it's spring, but still not a whimper of any news about it. It's just the Japanese way. Rolling Eyes
Yeah, well maybe they should look into changing it sometime. Hell it might stop them from being an economic quagmire.
What a grand idea! Do you know, I think you should contact the London Embassy and suggest it to them. I hear they are quite open to these types of suggestions. Good luck. Wink
Hey, I'm not the one who doesn't release information about my projects and charges $600 for the Blu Rays, ok?
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I must say, Henry's collection is mind-blowing. The movie pamphlet collection in particular has my attention. Is that really the famous "Red Cross Book" for End of Evangelion? Amazing. I'm only now getting into pamphlets, having the Eva 3.0 and Steins;Gate ones. It's crazy how much stuff I have in my collection from just three series.
PockyCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The lack of Sailor Moon info is actually kind of refreshing. Usually we get inundated with artwork and fan ravings about stuff to the point where it's over-hyped and then those of us who were overexposed to the hype end up disappointed with the end product. With Sailor Moon, there's really no need to hype it up, and I think that they know this.

I would like a definite release date, though, but I don't need character designs and plot details. I want some of these things to remain a pleasant surprise, like they were when Sailor Moon first aired. I mean, remember the excitement when Cartoon Network finally got the latter half of the R series and all of S?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
That would not be a wise decision, you'd get stuck with filler episodes that might not serve any purpose, as it happened with the original series, and many other animes.

I never get complaints about filler. If you don't like it you can just skip it.. but if it never gets made then no one can enjoy it. I personally like filler episodes and some of my favorite episodes in the original were filler. My favorite episode of Cowboy Bebop was a filler episode just because of the way the crew all played off each other and it was pretty much the only episode where they did that. They can be fun romps in between the plot-heavy episodes.

For series that are adapted I imagine most people who are coming from the source material usually only want what's canon. Especially in long running series. Whether it's enjoyable or not, if a series is ongoing that filler is ultimately not going to affect the overall plot in any meaningful way. So even if it is good, and honestly no matter how good it is, it usually doesn't hold up to the rest, in the end it can be forgotten because the main story won't be concerned with it.
Filler ends up being like most animated sitcoms, at the end of the episode/arc everything tends to be reset for the next episode/arc.

Which episode of Bebop are you referring to btw? Considering it's all an original production, I wouldn't consider any of it filler, at least in the typical sense.

I don't really mind filler either, but if the plan for a show is to follow the source and not go off on it's own tangent, I'd much rather leave out the filler and just stick to the proper story.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
@Cutiebunny

Maybe it's too early to have anime cel to go through certified appraisal. However, anime has just turned 50 years old and the time flies before anyone realizes. In a decade or two, I have a feeling that there will be some form of appraisal study for early anime cels in Japan. Some of the 1960's Hanna Barbera animation cels already went through appraisal. So why not anime cels? It may not happen in the states, but it could happen in Japan.

I understand that people put money on things that please their senses. I do the same thing too. I understand that people buy anime cels for sentimental reasons and their desire to own a piece of film history. That's great. When a collector put so much money on his cel collection, isn't it wise to consider its long term value as well? Ordinary people may not see cels' value as the same way as you. For example I value my DVD collection, but my family doesn't see it as the same way as I do.

What about life's ups and downs? Your valuable collections, let them be cels or others collectibles, could get damaged, stolen, or destroyed by all kinds of circumstances. I saw other people's expensive import anime collection get stolen before. Are you prepared to reclaim the whole monetary value of cels if something bad happens to them? How would you want your insurance carrier rate your cel collection? This is one reason why I brought up the appraisal issue.

The whole artistic value of anime cel is subjective and you want to avoid competition on popular titles. Okay, that's fine. While I'm not going to talk about each cel aesthetic worth, I just think that anime cel value system is too murky. It always feels like the Simpson's episode where Bart gets ripped off with a crappy Itchy & Scratchy cel. Do you think that you're getting the right value for your selection of anime cels? Or do you always let your impulse take driver's seat?

Granted that certified appraisal is too early for anime cels, but the time flies fast and I think it doesn't hurt to set some kind of ground rules for anime cel values.

I'm done with my explanation and I hope it clarifies my reasons.

Last edited by reanimator on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:57 am; edited 3 times in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Awesome on the Sword of the Stranger poster.

Absolutely loved that movie.

lossthief wrote:
Going into spring, the trailers for Red Data Girl and Attack on Titan both got me very hyped for those shows.

I must have watched that badass Attack on Titan trailer so many times... It was so good!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Which episode of Bebop are you referring to btw? Considering it's all an original production, I wouldn't consider any of it filler, at least in the typical sense.

Filler as in "no plot moves forward and it can be skipped without missing anything" not "wasn't in the source material", mainly since in adaptions a lot of the time the anime will fuse the anime-only stuff into the manga story-line and make them related.

And I'm referring to Brain Scratch, the only episode that really has all the Bebop crew working together to take down a bounty hunting target, since all the other episodes are generally about them off doing their own thing. A Faye episode, an Ed episode, a Jet episode, etc. Brain Scratch is the only real team-based episode and I liked that dynamic.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
As a guy who was a music fiend long before he got into anime (and still is; my poor bank balance), cheers for the column title.

For those of you scratching your heads, Sun Kil Moon is a music project by Mark Kozelek, who previously led the band Red House Painters. Learn more (if you want) at http://www.sunkilmoon.com/.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Since in the initial announcement of the new Sailor Moon anime it was mentioned that it would be released simultaneously worldwide, I would imagine the foreign markets are going to be more important than usual in this show. The new Bandai figure has ALREADY been confirmed to be released here in the US.

angelmcazares wrote:
I wish the Answerman had speculated a bit more about Sentai's apparent very secretive ways of licensing. I am going to speculate and theorize that Sentai pretty much blind buys licenses. I am guessing the licenses acquired before or when series just start airing are relatively cheap ($35,000-40,000 per one cour).

The series that do well and show popularity are most likely dubbed and given the BD treatment. And when series bomb, Sentai can simply releasing them subbed-only and on DVD. I bet 2,500-3,000 sold copies of sub-only DVD's are enough to recoup most, if not all, expenses associated with those releases.

On the other hand, FUNi will probably be in trouble if they licensed as much as Sentai does. Why? Because of FUNi's dumb policy to freaking dub everything. That is why FUNi can most of the time only pick up ecchi, dumb comedies and minless action: shit that apparently sells a lot.

FUNimation only sees value in shows that would sell well enough to cover the cost of a dub. It's understandable. If a show is only expected to sell a few thousand units, what's the point in releasing it anyway? It's the same reason Sentai only sells Blu-rays with dubs, since without them, the Blu-ray is unlikely able to sell enough units to cover the high costs of printing the discs. If a show isn't expected to sell very many units at all, a Blu-ray release simply doesn't happen from them (again, what would be the point in licensing it anyway?).
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
There are plenty of other Summer shows without much info given yet. Hell, do we even have an animated trailer for Monogatari Second Season yet? And thats by far the biggest show this summer.

True enough.

though more people are definitely looking forward to the SM remake. Especially myself since i am a die hard moonie from the old DIC english dub versions back when it showed on USA in the 90's.

Hopefully this remake will be more faithful to the manga like how FMA Brotherhood was.

Though i am still hoping that their will be an uncut english dub of season 1 and R of the old SM series as well as the three movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Filler as in "no plot moves forward and it can be skipped without missing anything" not "wasn't in the source material", mainly since in adaptions a lot of the time the anime will fuse the anime-only stuff into the manga story-line and make them related.

And I'm referring to Brain Scratch, the only episode that really has all the Bebop crew working together to take down a bounty hunting target, since all the other episodes are generally about them off doing their own thing. A Faye episode, an Ed episode, a Jet episode, etc. Brain Scratch is the only real team-based episode and I liked that dynamic.

Even taking that view on filler, I wouldn't consider Brain Scratch any more of a filler than any other stand alone episode. In a show with very few episodes tying to an over-arching plot and most episodes being stand alone, can any episode be considered filler?

I also think most complaints about filler aren't from productions that splice in some new material as a show airs, but when there are several episodes to seasons of original content. No matter how they make the additions relate when they return to the sources story line (like having extra characters show up) the extra bits have to be left to the side because they don't exist in the source and just become window dressing if those bits are even mentioned again at all.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
When Sailor Moon was a global phenomenon (not just US and especially Canada), Toei made most of their money not thru home videos but thru licenses and TV rights, like with DBZ. The original manga and anime started almost at the same time (Feb manga, March anime), so the anime pretty much had to go on its own via monster-of-the-week.

ColonelYao47 wrote:
I must say, Henry's collection is mind-blowing. The movie pamphlet collection in particular has my attention. Is that really the famous "Red Cross Book" for End of Evangelion? Amazing.

A Japanese pal sent me one of those also that summer way back (in exchange for a Monopoly boardgame - the shipping cost more than the boardgame!). Then on the long cross-country train ride came upon a Japanese exchange student girl seated next to me who translated a bit of it. Laughing

PockyCrusader wrote:
The lack of Sailor Moon info is actually kind of refreshing. Usually we get inundated with artwork and fan ravings about stuff to the point where it's over-hyped and then those of us who were overexposed to the hype end up disappointed with the end product. With Sailor Moon, there's really no need to hype it up, and I think that they know this.

Funnily, that is the exact reverse of the original release. Toei hyped that f-up! There were already merchandise out the wazoo all over the stores by the time the manga debuted Feb and the anime premiered March 7th. T'was a well-manufactured phenomenal launch. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5