• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overrated and underrated anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:28 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Umm, Vash has never killed spoiler[ No one has ever died from his attacks. Not even Knives at the end. The closest thing to make this statement true is the deaths that Knives has caused, which are staggering. Infact, Vash is the anti-Kenshin, because Kenshin is trying to stop killing for the greater good, while Vash must kill for the greater good. ]

spoiler[He killed Legato Bluesummers...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
NawkXela

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:11 pm Reply with quote
OH GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE LLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE. Evil or Very Mad

Can you all stop punk'in on Poke'mon and DBZ already!?!?!

First of all, pokemon is for children (I REPEAT CHILDREN)and that is what they expect (Note the TV-G rating)! So why the F**K are you watching it anyways?!?!?! Why the F**K are you complaining about what's popular to children anyways you don't even watch it. Rolling Eyes

Second, DBZ was a very good anime itself and deserved all the credit it got. Yes, it is very stupid at times and the story repeats itself over and over (exactly what you have been doing the last five pages in this forum and all the others), but there are many good points to it too. DBZ had great animation for it's time, is action filled, and usually gets people into anime. I know like about a thousand people who wouldn't be interested in anime if it wasn't for DBZ.

As for Love Hina was a very good anime. It had a nice story (at least in the manga), great music, laugh your ass-off scenes, and has more fans that any of you will ever have (unless your some super-famous super-star and in that cause you souldn't be a critic)! Evil or Very Mad

You should understand that the view point of everyone and not just the "oh I'm so cool and deep and more complex. So I watch cooler and more adult subjected anime thing".

Real Overrated animes should be ones that you bought cause everyone said it was good and you lost interest in it, which destroys the point of watching anime (which is to entertain you, and yes DBZ is was and still is interesting to many people). And no Evangelion and Rurouni Kenshin both are very good animes that defined the cream of anime in the 90's.

The real over-rated are shows like:
Excel Saga - Lame ass shit that wasn't even funny to begin with.
Hell Sing - This was hard-core crap.
Digimon - God they should get sued for copy right violation (basically Poke'mon with a different name stamped on top of it). I hate it cause of lack of originallity.

Underrated:
Please people animes that are good would not be underrated. Most of the ones that you mentioned are just old animes that teen punks overlook as old and never give a try (I'm one of those teen punks, but I still watch them if they are good). I bet that back when it was new there was a lot of popularity about them, too. if the underrated anime that you said was really as truely as good as you say it will be able to with satnd the test of time.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:50 pm Reply with quote
ok for those that said Hellsing please elborate. I know after the Valintine brothers it went down hil but they ran out of manga to animate around there. So other then that please explain.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:13 pm Reply with quote
NawkXela wrote:

Underrated:
Please people animes that are good would not be underrated. Most of the ones that you mentioned are just old animes that teen punks overlook as old and never give a try (I'm one of those teen punks, but I still watch them if they are good). I bet that back when it was new there was a lot of popularity about them, too. if the underrated anime that you said was really as truely as good as you say it will be able to with satnd the test of time.

Things can only withstand the test of time if they are made available by licensors.

Some things are marketed poorly, and thus only those who are in the know, can appreciate them.

Maison Ikkoku is one of my favorites. But Viz has marketed it so badly that some people won't watch it. Some people have no interest in romantic comedies. It has a very well developed story, but some people haven't had the opportunity to watch it because it's been unavailable. The same thing comes down the wire as well. Because it's older, and therefore has older animation, some people can't or won't look past it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
NawkXela

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:00 am Reply with quote
First of all I never liked Viz. They have some very good licences, but the company itself suck.(Tokyo Pop is hell a lot better).

The other thing is that most licencers would like the anime/manga to do well for it it were to do well then they would profit from it. that might have just been an exception.

And yes there are aways acceptions when it comes to real life itself.
But most of the good animes that are old are still watched, updated, and remade. This applies to how Inu-yasha was remade from manga to anime, how gundam is still continued, and others like how half of the Kenshin OVA's were just a remake of what happened in the anime, but from a different (maybe better) prespective.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with NickGXZ that Silent Mobius was vastly underrated. Oh, it's not an original story. It's really your basic psychic warriors trying to defend the world from an otherworldly menace. But it's just so WELL done. In its execution, Silent Mobius is flawless. A really damn good show that's really entertaining.

NawkXela wrote:
But most of the good animes that are old are still watched, updated, and remade. This applies to how Inu-yasha was remade from manga to anime, how gundam is still continued, and others like how half of the Kenshin OVA's were just a remake of what happened in the anime, but from a different (maybe better) prespective.

Dude, you have some really weird ideas about what makes a show overrated or underrated. "animes that are good would not be underrated" Rolling Eyes. Do you mean that nothing is ever underrated because if it's not popular it's because it's bad? Heh, maybe we should remove the word "underrated" from the dictionary, NawkXela just discovered that it has no meaning.

It's not the good anime that get updated and remade, it's the popular cash-cows. Good anime usually comes from a director with an artistic vision, and once he has expressed that vision he's not going to revisit it just to make more cash. You don't see Ghibli making sequels, do you? And for your information, it's far from remarkable that Inu-yasha was remade from manga to anime; at least 80% of anime is based on manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:20 pm Reply with quote
NawkXela wrote:

Inu yasha was remade from MANGA to anime - two different things.
Gundam is still continued - but every series has a different set of characters, a (usually) different story, etc. You can argue that it's just rehashing the same story, same characters, but still, it's DIFFERENT. Not the same. (Just compare the fantastic Gundam 0083 with Gundam Wing!)
Half of the Kenshin OAVs may be a remake of the anime (just let's say they are), but they're NOT THE SAME.

Utena uses ideas from Oniisama e and Versailles no bara, but it's NOT Oniisama e and Versailles no bara - it's Utena, a completely separate "entity." Utena is not a substitute for the other two, as Gundam Wing or Seed aren't substitutes for Gundam 0083 (or for each other, by the way), the Kenshin OAVs aren't substitutes for the TV series, and so on.

And the sad thing is that many people just watch a "remake" of a show (say, Gundam Wing or Seed) but don't care to watch its predecessor (older Gundam series) because it's hard to get or the art is unattractive (it doesn't have the latest CG animation and lots of attractive boys/girls). Also, many people just simply don't care about older anime, however good it may be, for the reasons mentioned above. That's why I consider those shows underrated.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:27 pm Reply with quote
NawkXela wrote:
OH GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE LLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE. Evil or Very Mad

The real over-rated are shows like:
Excel Saga - Lame ass shit that wasn't even funny to begin with.
Hell Sing - This was hard-core crap.
Digimon - God they should get sued for copy right violation (basically Poke'mon with a different name stamped on top of it). I hate it cause of lack of originallity.

First off, Excel Saga was a hilarious show, if you didn't laugh it is probably because you didn't get all of the references.
Hellsing had great animation and an oustanding dub..
Digimon the anime was ten times better than Pokemon. Sued? there are a million different variation of the battle animation.

Love Hina was absolutely horrible, in my opinion, (note="opinion") I didn't laugh one bit, it lacked any originality at all. A guys gets hit hard by a girl? Ramna. Guy moves into a boarding house and falls in love? Maison Ikkokou.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:41 pm Reply with quote
NawkXela wrote:

As for Love Hina was a very good anime. It had a nice story (at least in the manga), great music, laugh your ass-off scenes, and has more fans that any of you will ever have (unless your some super-famous super-star and in that cause you souldn't be a critic)! Evil or Very Mad

What a stupid comment,of course it has more fans than us because were normal people but that doesnt mean its good(Im not being specific to love hina).Adolf Hitler has fans that doesnt mean he was a good man.

Quote:

You should understand that the view point of everyone and not just the "oh I'm so cool and deep and more complex. So I watch cooler and more adult subjected anime thing".

You ovbiously have no idea what kind of people are on this forum,I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we dont just like complex anime.Most of the members like a varied range of anime.

Also like Dan said you seem to be very confused about what underrated means.
weirdofu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:03 am Reply with quote
These topics just get more fun all the time.

Personally, I don't really feel there's really ever an overrated or underrated anime. Almost all anime has its following, and if you ask those people, they'll always tell you that its a good anime. Personally, I've given up on trust most people's reviews and comments. I only rank anime in 3 ways, Ones that I know and can tell is good, Ones that I'll give a fair shot at given the chance, and ones that I complete shun for various personal bias and reasons.

So, I think everyone here makes valid points about what's overrated and what's underrated.

Personally, I have a hard time coming up with overrated shows. If it really comes down to it, I would have to say that some of the hard core otaku oriented shows are overrated, but that's just to me and that could be a bad example.

As for shows that are underrated, I'm a total adrenaline freak when it comes to anime, so I like ones with either strong story lines or good adrenaline pumped action. Its a genre that some people don't catch on to as much, but I feel that some of them are underrated. Guess many people don't give Go Nagai as much credit. And the best recent anime in that genre has got to be scred, which I'm not too sure how well it went over with most people.

I would like to say though, that most anime use old ideas. Ideas are constantly being rehashed and re-presented in different ways. People don't give enough credit to the really good re-hashed ideas anime. Alot of times an anime may not have ground breakingly new ideas, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't do what it tries to do well. Its not very often that an anime has brand new ideas, and even at times these new ideas don't get accepted either. So, I think the best way to watch anime is to watch it with a clean slate and judge it as it is and not where it came from.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There's almost never a bad anime, but always a biased audience."
Vash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:17 am Reply with quote
I can't really decide on underrated but dragonball is overated All they do is keep showing them just fighting villains there's nothing ever new I also think eva is overated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Underrated anime:
Neighborhood Story
Oh! Super Milk-chan
Hale Nochi Guu
Berserk
GTO
Cinderella Boy
Air Master

Overrated:
Tenchi Muyo
Ah! My Goddess
pumpkinhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Overrated:

Evangelion
.hack//sign
Saiyuki
Excel Saga

Underrated:

Boogiepop Phantom
Lain
Magic Users Club
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Over-rated:

Akira:
Come on, now, EVERYONE has seen this stupid movie, and granted, its a good romp the first time ya watch it, everytime thereafter, I find it boring.

Trigun:
Don't get me wrong, I liked part's of Trigun, I even own it on DVD, I just hated how it ended, I think the ending should have been explained more, or maybe I should rewatch it a few times to get a better understanding of it.

Under-rated:

Fist of the North Star:
Ok, I had to say it, but, I seriously think more people should become fan's of the series especially those that are hardcore into DBZ, they will find this anime alot cooler, I think, I know I did.

Sorceror Hunters:
Alot of people say this one stings, because of the lack of actual plot, but, the plot comes into play in a HUGE way at the end, I was shockoed by the ending, and was actually moved by it, I thought the ending was masterfully handled.

Yu Yu Hakusho:
Alot of people hate FUNimation, I have mixed feelings about them, but, I do believe they are handling this series well, it is a good series, and I enjoy watching it, I cannot wait to see how they handle Toguro 120% Power. ^__^
blackstardrag84

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:59 pm Reply with quote
The one anime that left me completely in "is that it?" mode was Fushigi Yuugi. I mean I knew it was shojo (which is not my cup of tea) but this anime was supposed to by the pinnacle of shojo so good in fact that it crossed the boundries of shojo into the realm of it having mass appeal to both guys and girls. I just don't see what people see in this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9