• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 3 Teens Arrested for Shoplifting 1st 57 One Piece Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
New York City, dude. When managers of many types of business from other areas of the country visit, they always ask why everything is lock-boxed. New. York. City.
Um, just about everything in almost all big chain store outlets has some sort of security tag on it. Yes, even the stores outside of NYC. I remember about twenty years that the biggest independent record shop where I live (the now sadly gone Impact Records) had security tags on every bloody thing, CDs, books, vinyl, VHS, laserdiscs etc. The only things which didn’t have a tag or were in a clear plastic security box were the magazines and comics.

Not just tags but lock-box. And things still get stolen; people come up with ingenius ways.

Greboruri wrote:

Anyway, just because shops have security devices on their products, this in no way proves any bookstore shut down down to shoplifting.

Shops in high-theft areas sometimes decide it's not worth it. There's an area in the NYC locale called Long Island City that, since the tenants closed shop, hasn't been replaced for awhile now because, once any interested tenant asks the businesses around, it's found out that it's a high-theft area. And these are big retail shops.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Lightning Leo wrote:
Now that I think of it, artists also lose a chance to get customers interested in their series if somebody's stolen the books off the shelf. I know there are times when I go to a bookstore and see a new series, but the first few volumes are missing, so I don't even get a chance to glean whether it's my kind of manga or not. So I wind up not getting into a series, which means lost sales overall for the store, and less likely chances that the authors works will be sold/restocked regularly.
Uh, where is the evidence that anything was stolen in this situation? Did it ever occur to you that particular volumes could just be out of stock? You can’t expect a bookstore to stock every single volume of manga.

Ack no, I'm not saying the volumes are missing because of theft (though I see how that might be inferred), where I live I can't even imagine theft like that occurring (most people would just manga cow it). I'm just commenting on the buying patterns that result because volumes are missing. Physical theft contributes similarly to these patterns of lost sales by denying a person the opportunity to even be exposed to a series in the first place (which, as you noted, also happens when volumes are simply not in stock).

The results of lost customers for a series I imagine are the same and equally detrimental to overall sales, which is why I brought up my personal experience with missing volumes in the store. Another way to put it is, that when volumes of manga are stolen it's just as bad for a potential customer as when the volumes are simply not in stock. Which means that an author is losing fans that he otherwise could have made.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Lots of common sense.

Spot on assessment, much props.
Thank you very much! (Better late than never to post that right?)

potassium wrote:
It's also worth noting sometimes there are no reasonable alternatives to digital piracy. I have patiently been waiting years to buy the final volume of Saiyuki Reload from Tokyopop. I am now going to look online for an alternative.
We have differing ideas on what reasonable means.

I waited nearly 20 years to get all of Sunbow's GI Joe cartoon on DVD. (I'd have bought in VHS if that were still the media.) About the same for The Real Ghostbusters. Now, clearly I'm a very patient man but my point is that I didn't go out and help some pirate who didn't own the rights or have permission to distribute those shows make some bucks.

Before anyone gives me the "they're doing it for free!" thing, I know some of these people really are putting their own money up to pay for bandwith and all of that but a damn lot of people are asking for donations or outright charging people. That, however, isn't the real issue.

I get that you and others sometimes can't get the product you want but it doesn't excuse the fact that the people putting out scanlations, fansubs, rips, etc. just do not have the right to do it. I personally think it's unreasonable to support people like that.

I'll admit, I've downloaded fansubs in the past. I haven't done that in years though. The reasons for that are mostly personal but one of them that applies here is the fact that I understand now that no one is going to license and dub a show I want to buy if no one is buying anything.

I know you can't get the product you want and believe me I sympathize. (Again, waited twenty F-ing years for the product I wanted.) If you want to download Saiyuki Reload, I'm not going to call you names or pitch some over-the-top fire and brimstone sermon. I'm actually very sympathetic to people like you who do not have a legal recourse.

Especially since the reason you don't is partially because of people who chose not to pay for the legal product and instead indulged in the illegal product. It's a vicious cycle that feeds on itself.

Still, that doesn't excuse the mentality some people have that they can just break the law and do whatever they want with other people's property and just because it's digital doesn't mean it isn't property. Someone like you potassium isn't the kind of person I have a real issue with.

It's the people who promote piracy and who illegally use other people's property that bug the devil out of me. Those people are feeding the loop and making it harder on the rest of us. I know the economy's made things worse but all of the bootlegging and illegal subbing and streaming and ripping isn't exactly helping.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
All that and not a damn word about shoplifting, One Piece, or the store. Maybe these teens are in the yakuza division of fansubs/bootlegs/streaming/scanlations but the article was encoded in such a way only a few of the denizens of ANN could see the connection.

I was looking forward to enjoying jokes about pirates, piracy, and One Piece in this interest article but what I got was more pissing and moaning about super serial stuffs.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I was looking forward to enjoying jokes about pirates, piracy, and One Piece in this interest article but what I got was more pissing and moaning about super serial stuffs.

What do you expect of folks that love to use strawman fallacies? ****, I'm still wondering how it exploded into Internet Piracy. Could've gotten killed in a few posts, but Nooooooooooo..........
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

What do you expect of folks that love to use strawman fallacies? ****, I'm still wondering how it exploded into Internet Piracy. Could've gotten killed in a few posts, but Nooooooooooo..........

Actually I think this has been a good conversation, some people have brought up good and interesting points, even I've upgraded some of my thoughts about the issues. I can definitely leave saying that I've gotten something out of this.

Despite the brainlessness of most of it, the Internet can be a place for fruitful conversation beyond meme mindfapping, zippy one-liners and the usual "derpderpderpderpderp". Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5