• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Governor is Not a Mickey Mouse Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
WE as citizens and humans of the world are witnesses to this arc of history.

100% correct. But, WE are not going te be here forever.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
hrtrunks wrote:
100% correct. But, WE are not going te be here forever.

100% correct. WE must make sure that what we saw lives on in future generations.
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but that is exactly what is not going to happen. There are history books that are going to be written and those are the ones that are going to tell future generations what "really" happened.

But let's not talk about politics and WW2 anymore.

The bottom line is that if Mr. Shintaro Ishihara, the ultra right-wing politician, who hates US, China and Korea wants to say that in public, he should be allowed to. That means, if anyone hates anyone, its their right to say it.

Thank you.
heyyu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
And heyyu, it's not about him disliking Mickey Mouse, but rather that added to other comments added to his already developed character from previous comments. It has nothing to do with America being so great, because you see that type of attitude would simply mirror the attitude people have an issue with, it's a matter of respect in that people should be respectful of other cultures despite the differences and certainly should promote some form of racial supremacy which can only result in hatred, violence and bloodshed as history has repeatedly shown. So why do his sensibilities miss that?

Oh please. Spare me the "Everyone should get along and sing kumbayah" lecture. If this was an episode of the Boondocks, those words would come from the PC full of crap hippy. Do you know how arrogant and smug and insincere that sounds?

I agree with you everyone should get along and be treated equally. But the way you say it... you know what that's like? It's like that preacher that lectures other people on what they're doing wrong while secretly going home and smoking pot and doing drugs himself. There's just something about it that smacks of elitism and hypocrisy.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I agree, if he wants to say it, he should be allowed to. It's just some people won't agree with him.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
How weird. I mean, it's stupid to insult something that a lot of people love in front of them. If you keep acting like an idiot and saying these things, no one will ever vote for you. That's something he shoulda just kept to himself.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, he DOES have a right to say what he wants. He's showing an incredible ignorance for anything having to do with animation, though. Animation existed before Disney, but Disney helped to thrust anime into the limelight.

Maybe next time someone who cares more about the subject of animation should speak at the opening ceremony.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Maybe next time someone who cares more about the subject of animation should speak at the opening ceremony.

Like Junichiro Koizumi?
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
How weird. I mean, it's stupid to insult something that a lot of people love in front of them. If you keep acting like an idiot and saying these things, no one will ever vote for you. That's something he shoulda just kept to himself.

Heh. Well the thing is, Shintaro Ishihara has always been like that. And as you can see he got voted for the governer of Tokyo because the way he acts.

By insulting all animation, he clearly won't get a lot of positive opinion from the anime fans. But you have to understand few things:

1.) The majority of Japanese are not anime fans, and don't really care if their govrener hates anime.

2.) The anime fans in Japan obviusly love anime, but (just like us who are not Japanese) understand that anime is not really the most important thing in the world. Anime is anime, and politics are politics.

3.) Even if some people do get really offended, those are obviusly a super minority and not really old enough to understand how the politics go. And that means, they ain't old enough to vote.

4.) And, as we all know, majority of anime fans are teens and with time they will get older and smarter. When they are old enough to understand how life works, they will not even consider offending a fictional character like Mickey Mouse a thing to base their opinion on voting for Mr. Ishihara.

Example: If you have a politician who promises to do for your country exactly what you want but say that he hates "random anime character" will you or will you not vote for him? Does his taste matters more that the economics, security etc. of your country?

So as you can see, he is not going to get removed from his position any time soon. Anyway, he should watch more Naruto, that's what I think...
jousha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
hrtrunks wrote:
Shintaro Ishihara has always been like that. And as you can see he got voted for the governer of Tokyo because the way he acts.

hrtrunks has got it down pat. My roommate is Japanese, and I showed him it. He wasn't surprised or enraged at all, yet reads mangas and watches anime. Furthermore, he said that "Ishihara dislikes the Japanese government, China, Korea, [etc.]" And to hit the nail further (if there's still some room after hrtrunk's post), my roommate likes him as governor and he says that Ishihara is very popular among the Japanese people.

Ishihara: possibly a strong politician (I'm not familiar with him), but someone you may not want to have over for dinner with a friendly chat in mind.

I think we're just use to politicians telling us what we want to hear (or not telling us what we don't want to hear) in order to get on our good side next-coming elections.
JiJi McPaws

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Mickey Mouse is a mascot now, I can't even think of any Mickey Mouse cartoons made within the last year. However, Mickey Mouses accomplishments in being the first voice acted and color sketches gave birth to the way all animation is seen today. Just think, Mickey was entertaining people since 1939.

Square-enix did manage to make Mickey "cooler" in kingdom hearts 2, he's like a little gothic yoda.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
So, the dude hates the Mouse. Interesting . . . I suddenly feel the need to make a YTMND/O RLY? image. Twisted Evil
nobinobita

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
heyyu wrote:
So the guy says he doesn't like Mickey Mouse and some of you start acting like he's declaring war on American values. WTF

Wow. Strongly worded, but i agree with you whole heartedly.

I think the guy was just making a personal statement, and also trying to bolster the image of Japanese Animation. I think he's saying that he preferes it to American style animation and there's nothing wrong with that (although there's LOTs wrong with alot of other stuff the guy says).

Also, Americans make blanket statements about Anime all the time.

You'd be shocked how many times American animators openly denounce anime (as a whole--as if nothing good can come from the Japanese).

Also, even that article on the United Press International was laced with latent cultural disdain.

The supposed journalist who wrote it describes anime as stuff with big tits and blue eyes (cos you know those Japanese don't have blue eyes so why do their cartoons do? LOL)

And all this time, i NEVER hear of anyone in the Japanese industry bad mouthing American animation.

So i'm glad someone over there is taking an aggressive stance on the positive aspects of anime.
heyyu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:
heyyu wrote:
So the guy says he doesn't like Mickey Mouse and some of you start acting like he's declaring war on American values. WTF

Wow. Strongly worded, but i agree with you whole heartedly.

I think the guy was just making a personal statement, and also trying to bolster the image of Japanese Animation. I think he's saying that he preferes it to American style animation and there's nothing wrong with that (although there's LOTs wrong with alot of other stuff the guy says).

Also, Americans make blanket statements about Anime all the time.

You'd be shocked how many times American animators openly denounce anime (as a whole--as if nothing good can come from the Japanese).

Also, even that article on the United Press International was laced with latent cultural disdain.

The supposed journalist who wrote it describes anime as stuff with big tits and blue eyes (cos you know those Japanese don't have blue eyes so why do their cartoons do? LOL)

And all this time, i NEVER hear of anyone in the Japanese industry bad mouthing American animation.

So i'm glad someone over there is taking an aggressive stance on the positive aspects of anime.

Agreed. You bring up an interesting point. I never really hear Japanese anime creators or many fans for that matter badmouthing American cartoons either.

Ironically enough, it's usually the AMERICAN anime fans that badmouth American cartoons and start this anime vs. American cartoon war. And I hear a lot of American comic book fans badmouthing Japanese anime and manga all the time.

Most of the fans in Japan are oblivious to all this and contrary to popular belief, they do like a lot of American stuff. A lot of American movies and culture are popular in Japan, even more popular than Japan's own movies. I remember Pixar's "Finding Nemo" set off this whole aquarian craze in Japan.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
heyyu wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
And heyyu, it's not about him disliking Mickey Mouse, but rather that added to other comments added to his already developed character from previous comments. It has nothing to do with America being so great, because you see that type of attitude would simply mirror the attitude people have an issue with, it's a matter of respect in that people should be respectful of other cultures despite the differences and certainly should promote some form of racial supremacy which can only result in hatred, violence and bloodshed as history has repeatedly shown. So why do his sensibilities miss that?

Oh please. Spare me the "Everyone should get along and sing kumbayah" lecture. If this was an episode of the Boondocks, those words would come from the PC full of crap hippy. Do you know how arrogant and smug and insincere that sounds?

I agree with you everyone should get along and be treated equally. But the way you say it... you know what that's like? It's like that preacher that lectures other people on what they're doing wrong while secretly going home and smoking pot and doing drugs himself. There's just something about it that smacks of elitism and hypocrisy.

Hardly, stating that people should be respectful of other cultures and to not promote hate isn't saying we should all sing kumbayah and hold hands and dance. Sorry, but between your narrow minded extremes there exists a sea of shades beyond that. People aren't going to stand around and simply love one another, humanity is virtually incapable of that, it doesn't mean we should ignore blatant disrespect and racial hate and say "oh, that's okay". Sorry, but people who ignore the problems only contribute to them.

You're the one preaching, sadly you're preaching hate, I'm just stating people at least deserve respect and that racial hatred doesn't get anyone anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8