• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:27 am Reply with quote
Torrent downloads, streaming numbers, TV ratings, and video sales are the ONLY objective measurements you can make. I don't think Key ever said it was a measure of absolute quality, just that its popularity was a sign that other people held it in higher regard than those complaining here; that I will add also implies how absolutist positions ultimately based on personal taste are totally bunk.

None of the most negative criticisms are intra-comparitive i.e. focusing purely within the show's medium and the story's universe. At least you could have some rational debate if this were the case. There might be valid criticism of plot holes, but as usual, the most vehement, most negative criticism are extra-comparitive i.e. focusing outside the show's universe, based on ideology or personal taste, such as mai-waifu, Asuna potrayals, etc.

If you say, dock the show -10 how are you going to prove that your position is more right than someone else who would dock it -2 perhaps only because of a few plot holes, but would still happily purchase it?

Quote:
But seriously, sales numbers/how many people watch is a terrible way to try to defend a show's story (or anything else about it). Yes, the fact that such a lousy show is a huge hit is irritating, but that's more a matter of the lack of sales of other shows than the number this got and there have been bigger sales injustices. On the other hand Girls und Paner and Love Live were sold great (and LWA2 was funded and saved anime), so on balance, things aren't too bad. Unless Prisma Illya doesn't get a second season, then world can just burn for all I care.

1) there's no way you can prove SAO "such a lousy show"
2) there's no such thing as a "sales injustice"
3) "Girls und Paner and Love Live were sold great" while I may also like those shows, has nothing to do with this. Anime is not a fixed size pie.
4) LWA2 didn't save anime. The first half of LWA2 was already funded and would've been released regardless of kickstarter. LWA2 was funded just like LWA1 was, as animation schooling program. Nothing can save anime. Nothing can kill anime. Anime is not a fixed size pie.
5) "Prisma Illya" again what does one have to do with another? Anime is not fixed size pie.
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I quoted specific numbers in a thread a month or two back based both on sales numbers and fansub downloads, the latter of which can be looked up fairly easily. The latter numbers in particular showed a distinctly lower drop-off than normal for a popular series. (IIRC, SAO's loss from the beginning of the series to the end was only about 15%, which is extraordinarily low for a two cour series - and no, I don't have the time to reconstruct those numbers right now.) These are facts.

Now, how you interpret those fact depends on how cynical an angle you want to take on the series. You could look at that as evidence suggestive that the series does not take a massive quality nosedive over the course of the series, or you could take the interpretation that it had attracting factors that were keeping people watching it despite the quality drop-off. Take the latter interpretation, and this fact is clear: no matter how much you bitch about the supposedly lack of quality of the rest of the series, that hasn't deterred people from continuing to watch it in massive numbers.

And I do get some amusement out of that.

Key, if your "fansub downloads" is referring to the download count on 'that torrent site' then, it is a known fact that it merely counts the number of times the download button has been clicked (or actually the "*.torrent" file has been downloaded); not the number of times the file/files distributed through torrent has/have been completely downloaded.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
FD2Raptor wrote:
Key, if your "fansub downloads" is referring to the download count on 'that torrent site' then, it is a known fact that it merely counts the number of times the download button has been clicked (or actually the "*.torrent" file has been downloaded); not the number of times the file/files distributed through torrent has/have been completely downloaded.

No, if it the same tracker site I'm thinking of (most used for anime) it shows you the count of completed downloads. You can test this for yourself by picking a very old file like one a few years old, that has 0 leechers, or even better, one that is dead using a file that you already have, so that you do not actually download from seeders or peers, but just download the .torrent from the site and let the client recheck your file. Be aware that a torrent file can use specify multiple trackers and stats are not shown from all of them on the site; people can be downloading from other trackers, so make sure to pick a really old dead torrent and download the torrent like 10 or 20 times (you can also remove the torrent from the client if you want to let it recheck your file every time), refresh the page in a bit, and the download count should still remain the same, or at least not increment by +10 or +20.

Nonetheless even if it was implemented purely as .torrent download clicks, it would still be a good proxy for popularity as no one would keep up with the show, download the torrents, just to cancel their leeching without completing.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
Are you guys seeeeeriously having this discussion? For real?

Even after Hitokiri demonstrated that Theron's entire "consistency" line was complete bullshit?

And torrent downloads? REALLY?! Thats just insulting. No one uses torrent downloads as a measure of anything.

SAO is really popular, its also really terrible. There are lots of things that are terrible that are popular. That does not change the fact that somehow Theron feels he can't just like the show, he has to objectively demonstrate that its not actually bad. But that its actually good and its the subject of some sort of smear campaign on the part of fans of other shows.

But I do truly love that by Theron's own measure, Horizon is clearly an objectively better show than SAO.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
just that its popularity was a sign that other people held it in higher regard than those complaining here; that I will add also implies how absolutist positions ultimately based on personal taste are totally bunk.

I've never claimed that there is some absolute way to measure a show's quality. All I'm saying is that if you're going to argue about the story's narrative merits, you need to do it based on the actual show, not things like popularity (however you choose to measure it) or sales.

Quote:
There might be valid criticism of plot holes, but as usual, the most vehement, most negative criticism are extra-comparitive i.e. focusing outside the show's universe, based on ideology or personal taste, such as mai-waifu, Asuna potrayals, etc.

Discussing the show's treatment of Asuna is an entirely valid thing to discuss. "Plot-holes" may or may not be. I'd actually defend the early part of the show (and DID while it was airing, and still would) to some degree.

Quote:

1) there's no way you can prove SAO "such a lousy show"
2) there's no such thing as a "sales injustice"
3) "Girls und Paner and Love Live were sold great" while I may also like those shows, has nothing to do with this. Anime is not a fixed size pie.
4) LWA2 didn't save anime. The first half of LWA2 was already funded and would've been released regardless of kickstarter. LWA2 was funded just like LWA1 was, as animation schooling program. Nothing can save anime. Nothing can kill anime. Anime is not a fixed size pie.
5) "Prisma Illya" again what does one have to do with another? Anime is not fixed size pie.

1&2: "Why didn't you stick 'in my humble opinion' to these, you're making a statement of fact!"
3-5: You're either ignoring the overall point I'm making here by looking at these one by one and/or you're ignoring Theron's last few lines I was responding to with it. 4's "saved anime is a joke", thought that would be obvious. 5 is a joke, thought the part about the world burning right after "things aren't so bad" made that obvious. No shit it's not a prize pile, that's why I mentioned that my problem was with shows I like NOT doing well (and often remaining incomplete) not just the fact that something else did well.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With strong performances in both languages and good attention to the small details, such as how Kirito's armor changes to show the passage of time, SAO deserves a fair amount of the notoriety it has achieved, both good and bad.

If you say so.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
SAO is a decent, but average and unmemorable show. I've been keeping up with it on Toonami, and while the premise is one of the most intriguing I've seen, it gets confusing to follow with all the time skips, and the characters are for the most part, flat and undefined. It's not a bad show, but my interest has been slowly waning. It certainly doesn't deserve all the hype it gets.

The English voice acting is also average and unmemorable, but nothing bad at all. I think I'd be more interested and invested if the voice acting sounded unique and the script more creative (it sounds like a flat translation). I also agree that Laura Post's performance is really good, probably the best in the show, despite being for a guest character. I also like Xanthe Huynh's voice for Sachi.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Even after Hitokiri demonstrated that Theron's entire "consistency" line was complete bullshit?

He demonstrated nothing, as he ignored half of the data set I looked at.

Quote:
SAO is really popular, its also really terrible. There are lots of things that are terrible that are popular. That does not change the fact that somehow Theron feels he can't just like the show, he has to objectively demonstrate that its not actually bad. But that its actually good and its the subject of some sort of smear campaign on the part of fans of other shows.

Let's fire that back the other way: You can't just dislike the show; you seem compelled to shout down any objection to your viewpoint, any attempt to show that the series isn't absolutely awful. (And it's not just SAO; you do this a lot with other series, too.) And that is what I find most irritating about your constant harping against the series. Seriously, what is your problem with other people thinking this series might actually be enjoyable to watch? That an awful lot of other people don't find it to be trash?

Quote:
But I do truly love that by Theron's own measure, Horizon is clearly an objectively better show than SAO.

Again, only based on half the data set. Based on the fansub data, the first season of Horizon is hard to call, as it has some unusually dramatic ups and downs. (It loses about half of its initial audience after the first two episodes and picks up steeply for episodes 9-11 before dropping some for ep 12 and a lot for ep 13.) The second season, though, sees a pronounced and consistent drop of about 40% over the course of the season, which is on the high side of normal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I have to agree as Accel World put limits on the "uber powers" and, despite giving the Eric Cartman-esque loser male protagonist a harem and other perks, it didn't completely rid the protagonist of his flaws: in Accel World the protagonist was a punk outside of Brain Burst but in SAO he was "The Messiah" 24/7. Accel World's dub might have even been a bit better than SAO's, despite that having a seasoned main cast of actors (including former Funimation star Cherami Leigh) while Accel World's dub lacks for renowned, seasoned anime dub veterans. I consider both to be several leagues below the work of Funi and Sentai, however.

....I'm sorry, what? Confused

Please explain, how was Haruyuki EVER a "punk"? Reclusive and cowardly, sure, but he was never mean or started trouble for anyone. Haruyuki was the kind that got picked on, not the one doing the picking.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Using fansubs as an indicator of quality and general consensus is pretty dumb,as people that watch the show through fansubs(or even streaming services for that matter) dont necessarily have to like it.This is especially true in Sword Art Onlines case,since a gigantic number of people simply watched it so they can rip it up to shreds.
Also by Keys logic most of the shows that I liked in previous decade are pieces of shit,really nice to know that piece of information.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first half of the series (well until spoiler[they left Sword Art Online]) but I did get a little frustrated with the time skips and I wish they showed more of the levels as we saw around 7/8 of the 100 that supposedly existed. I have up during the Alfheim Online arc as the spoiler[fear of death vanished and they were no longer trapped in the game].

In my opinion the review gave a fair judgement that I agree with for this part of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

He demonstrated nothing, as he ignored half of the data set I looked at.

Because I know exactly where to get the DVD/BD sales data. I'm not going to hunt down at least half a dozen torrents, especially when I'm not the one trying to use them to defend a show's story.

Quote:
Again, only based on half the data set. Based on the fansub data, the first season of Horizon is hard to call, as it has some unusually dramatic ups and downs. (It loses about half of its initial audience after the first two episodes and picks up steeply for episodes 9-11 before dropping some for ep 12 and a lot for ep 13.) The second season, though, sees a pronounced and consistent drop of about 40% over the course of the season, which is on the high side of normal.

And TV ratings? What about streaming numbers? After all, can't just ignore some of the data. Regardless, why do these numbers matter more than sales? People who just watch something without paying have higher standards for their narratives than people who pay money for a product? After all, Fencedude, myself and others watched the whole thing even though we thought it got increasingly terrible. I also finished Gundam AGE, Zero no Tsukaima F, and Little Busters and thought all of them were at least mostly bad to terrible.

Here's the thing. I'm not trying to say Horizon is better than SAO (even though it is; no, I don't mean that there is any 'objective' way to measure this and I almost can't believe I have to actually spell that out, thank you internet) because of the sales numbers, TV ratings or consistency of either. All I'm saying is that this is a ridiculous way to try to defend a show's story and say whether it's good or bad. All this demonstrates is their appeal to their audiences, and while sometimes strong stories have strong appeal and get large audiences, that is not a defense against criticism and having a large and/or consistent audience does not say anything about the quality or merits of the work. These numbers are relevant to discussing popularity, success and I guess "fandom impact" (such as what is being discussed in the Mike Toole/Haruhi Suzumiya thread), but not whether it is good or bad.

Honestly, I'm really surprised a reviewer of all people would be stooping to this.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Let's be absolutely clear here: I am not, not have I ever, insisted that a series' quality directly correlates with its popularity. That was Fencedude reading into my post what he wanted to for making his point. My point was always that the series supposedly going bad never affected its popularity much, which could reasonably be interpreted as the series not taking as much of a dip in quality (in the eyes of general viewership, anyway) as people are claiming. At no point have I tried to claim that "oh, it's THE GREATEST SERIES EVA" because it's immensely popular.

And while it may be true, as you said HitorikiShadow, that some viewers stuck around despite it supposedly going bad, I have a tough time believing that 25% of its original viewers - i.e., about 135k by fansub numbers in SAO's case - endured it that way when that percentage couldn't be bothered to do so for a supposedly vastly superior series like Horizon II. (And I'm using 25% because that's the difference in viewership loss between the two series.)

BTW, I'm curious to know where the DVD/Blu-Ray sales figures you quoted come from. The numbers for Volume 7 of SAO sound about right based on the figures I can find, but the numbers for Vol. 1 seem like they should be more in the mid-to-high 30k range than the mid-40k range. (Unless it sold quite a bit more than series volumes normally do after their its first week?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
BTW, I'm curious to know where the DVD/Blu-Ray sales figures you quoted come from.

Oricon disc sales can be found at at the fc2 dvd/bd wiki page (the last column being the total)

Compare it with something like Girls und Panzer which was much more consistent (other than vol. 1 which had a ridiculous shortage due to the show being such a surprise hit)

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Key wrote:
BTW, I'm curious to know where the DVD/Blu-Ray sales figures you quoted come from.

Oricon disc sales can be found at at the fc2 dvd/bd wiki page (the last column being the total)

Here, just use this thread on Mania. Somekindofthing correlates all the data into convenient, readable form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8