• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD Hero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James S.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
James S. wrote:

I'd like to point out that Rias and co were talking about Old Satan faction remnants and had nothing to do with the Hero faction. The subtitles are there for those who can't understand Japanese for a reason.

Old faction, hero faction, whatever. simple mistake. a place got attacked, was just curious where it was

It was in the town where the school is. Remember the previous seasons where they would patrol the town for stray devils? That's still happening except they're dealing with the Old Satan faction as well.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha I actually really enjoyed the episode and liked where some of the small character bits are going and what's being hinted at. Issei questioning what it means to be a hero is tried and true but it feels natural with his character now that he's seeing the weirdly serious shit that he's become a part of. Helps tie in with all the Sairaorg stuff that went down in episode 1 and what Issei's kinda aspiring to be. Some of the fighting was pretty fun as well, and the balance breakers continue to be super fun to watch. (NIGHT REFLECTION DEATH CROSS is also an amazingly chuuni name)

I do wonder if Theron Martin's problems with the show are on a more general basis rather than with this episode in particular, which might be why these reviews are sounding more and more completely disinterested in what's actually happening haha. While I've more or less gotten used to the artstyle, and think it even totally works for some characters like Cao Cao, (though poor Xenovia and Rias) it seems he was never able too, and stuff like Asia getting bigger boobs being an actual change not just an artstyle inconsistency doesn't seem like it was taken well. Which is totally understandable honestly. The inconsistent flashbacks to stuff that was never adapted in the anime is also unfortunate but hey.

But yeah just random observations. I think for the most part this series is absolutely in line with what the previous series have been in terms of content. Hype to see the POTENTIAL in action haha.
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
To me, Ichei Ichibumi reeks of being a manchild that thinks the best adaptations have to be obbligatorily a copy of the source material, and I can´t help but disagree with him this time. Good thing I ws concerned with going back to the franchise, because now I bail out of it. Novel fans might enjoy it, I won´t. At least season 3 offered a good storyline for Akeno(even if it was not in the novel, it was a good addition).

From what I've read he actually helped with the writing of S3 and legitimately enjoyed how S3 handled Loki and his trickster nature with the final arc of the show. The only reason he retconned it is because fan reaction was so poor. It's no doubt why the studio lost the production rights to the show as well. So I think your impressions are a little misinformed there.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Hahaha I actually really enjoyed the episode and liked where some of the small character bits are going and what's being hinted at. Issei questioning what it means to be a hero is tried and true but it feels natural with his character now that he's seeing the weirdly serious shit that he's become a part of. Helps tie in with all the Sairaorg stuff that went down in episode 1 and what Issei's kinda aspiring to be. Some of the fighting was pretty fun as well, and the balance breakers continue to be super fun to watch. (NIGHT REFLECTION DEATH CROSS is also an amazingly chuuni name)

I do wonder if Theron Martin's problems with the show are on a more general basis rather than with this episode in particular, which might be why these reviews are sounding more and more completely disinterested in what's actually happening haha. While I've more or less gotten used to the artstyle, and think it even totally works for some characters like Cao Cao, (though poor Xenovia and Rias) it seems he was never able too, and stuff like Asia getting bigger boobs being an actual change not just an artstyle inconsistency doesn't seem like it was taken well. Which is totally understandable honestly. The inconsistent flashbacks to stuff that was never adapted in the anime is also unfortunate but hey.

But yeah just random observations. I think for the most part this series is absolutely in line with what the previous series have been in terms of content. Hype to see the POTENTIAL in action haha.
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
To me, Ichei Ichibumi reeks of being a manchild that thinks the best adaptations have to be obbligatorily a copy of the source material, and I can´t help but disagree with him this time. Good thing I ws concerned with going back to the franchise, because now I bail out of it. Novel fans might enjoy it, I won´t. At least season 3 offered a good storyline for Akeno(even if it was not in the novel, it was a good addition).

From what I've read he actually helped with the writing of S3 and legitimately enjoyed how S3 handled Loki and his trickster nature with the final arc of the show. The only reason he retconned it is because fan reaction was so poor. It's no doubt why the studio lost the production rights to the show as well. So I think your impressions are a little misinformed there.

About S3, i heard that while did he did help writing S3, he had to step down midway cause his father(?) died.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:

SkerllyFC07 wrote:

About S3, i heard that while did he did help writing S3, he had to step down midway cause his father(?) died.

Ok, but that doesn´t excuse that now he wants the anime to be a blatant copy of the source material, to the point that reading the novels is unnecessary. He doesn´t know how should an adaptation work, and this decision of taking creative control of the franchise is stupid and makes the series unnappealing. And I don´t think the director of BorN wanted to include anime-original content because of arrogance or thinking he could do the series better. He wanted to be creative. Ichibumi just wants a copy of his novels in anime form and I can´t forgive him much for that-
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:

SkerllyFC07 wrote:

Ok, but that doesn´t excuse that now he wants the anime to be a blatant copy of the source material, to the point that reading the novels is unnecessary. He doesn´t know how should an adaptation work, and this decision of taking creative control of the franchise is stupid and makes the series unnappealing. And I don´t think the director of BorN wanted to include anime-original content because of arrogance or thinking he could do the series better. He wanted to be creative. Ichibumi just wants a copy of his novels in anime form and I can´t forgive him much for that-

If you knew how to read, you would know that Ishibumi's requests are actively going against your narrative of him wanting to keep the adaptation as 1:1 as possible...

Also, "Can't forgive"..? That speaks of so much arrogance that i don't even know what to tell you...
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
James S. wrote:
getchman wrote:
was that actually the school that the other Hero faction group attacked? Looks more like what we briefly saw of the underworld back in season 3 when they were traveling by magic train

I'd like to point out that Rias and co were talking about Old Satan faction remnants and had nothing to do with the Hero faction. The subtitles are there for those who can't understand Japanese for a reason.

AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:
. A new stand-in for Freed shows up to oppose the more knightly characters, with his only distinguishing characteristic being a silver third arm that allows him to wield three swords

Oi, don't blame the dude for looking like his brother...

On a side note, Siegfried and Freed aren't brothers. spoiler[They were part of an institute in the church where the training caused all those who were apart of it to have white hair. Freed does have a sister though. And no she's not part of Issei's harem nor will she ever be.]

don't be surprised if it ACTUALLY HAPPENS!!

oh man that would be the ultimate gas of awkwardness! that or possibly akia kiriyu considering that she is even more perverted than issei!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dardre

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Theron when was the last time you actually watched the first 3 seasons of DxD? Not liking the designs is a personal preference of course, but the character animation is better now than it has ever been. I rewatched the first 3 seasons right before this season started so it's still fresh in my mind and the complaints about the animation just really are not applicable here. I have since watched each episode of this season 3 times as well (once on CR, once on the uncensored stream, and another creating fan service highlights) and i am failing to see all the inconsistencies and lapses in animation. The beginning of episode 3 might not have been the highlight of the episode, but frankly you're giving the first 3 seasons way too much credit in the animation department.

Then you watched a completely different series than I did.

I literally just compared the appearance of Shalba and the Juggernaut Drive. BorN's was more dramatic, with better angles. It had better shading and a better color palette, both for characters and background; Hero looks flat, uninspired, and washed out. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Hero is pedestrian. BorN has smoother animations, just look at the scene in Hero when Akeno, Zenovia, Gaspar, and Koneko are running after Issei transforms: it's lifeless and lacks any sense of urgency. You could take that exact animation, put a school background and you'd think they were late to school and trying to avoid being spotted by a teacher. Now, I will say the actual battle between Shalba and Issei is pretty bad in both. Overly simplistic, and with too many short-cuts and tricks used to cut costs.

The effects are better in BorN too, as Rias' power-up when confronting Shalba proves The way the aura flows away when Issei distracts her looks pretty damn good. BorN's JD transformation is significantly better, looking quite painful. Hero? Lots of red blurry flames; it was also significantly shorter.

Then we come to the characters emoting. With BorN, I could easily see Rias' rage at Shalba, her shock and worry at Issei's transformation. Hero? She had pretty much the exact same expression on her face as Koneko did. She looked like she was concerned she might have forgotten something at the store, not that a member of her family had just vanished and another had just transformed into something terrifying.

Hero looks like what it likely is: an anime with a more-than-usually limited budget.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:59 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
James S. wrote:
getchman wrote:
was that actually the school that the other Hero faction group attacked? Looks more like what we briefly saw of the underworld back in season 3 when they were traveling by magic train

AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:
. A new stand-in for Freed shows up to oppose the more knightly characters, with his only distinguishing characteristic being a silver third arm that allows him to wield three swords

Oi, don't blame the dude for looking like his brother...

On a side note, Siegfried and Freed aren't brothers. spoiler[They were part of an institute in the church where the training caused all those who were apart of it to have white hair. Freed does have a sister though. And no she's not part of Issei's harem nor will she ever be.]

don't be surprised if it ACTUALLY HAPPENS!!

oh man that would be the ultimate gas of awkwardness! that or possibly akia kiriyu considering that she is even more perverted than issei!

spoiler[If the D X D Ex side story is anything to go by then unfortunately no]
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:
Theron when was the last time you actually watched the first 3 seasons of DxD? Not liking the designs is a personal preference of course, but the character animation is better now than it has ever been. I rewatched the first 3 seasons right before this season started so it's still fresh in my mind and the complaints about the animation just really are not applicable here. I have since watched each episode of this season 3 times as well (once on CR, once on the uncensored stream, and another creating fan service highlights) and i am failing to see all the inconsistencies and lapses in animation. The beginning of episode 3 might not have been the highlight of the episode, but frankly you're giving the first 3 seasons way too much credit in the animation department.

Then you watched a completely different series than I did.

I literally just compared the appearance of Shalba and the Juggernaut Drive. BorN's was more dramatic, with better angles. It had better shading and a better color palette, both for characters and background; Hero looks flat, uninspired, and washed out. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Hero is pedestrian. BorN has smoother animations, just look at the scene in Hero when Akeno, Zenovia, Gaspar, and Koneko are running after Issei transforms: it's lifeless and lacks any sense of urgency. You could take that exact animation, put a school background and you'd think they were late to school and trying to avoid being spotted by a teacher. Now, I will say the actual battle between Shalba and Issei is pretty bad in both. Overly simplistic, and with too many short-cuts and tricks used to cut costs.

The effects are better in BorN too, as Rias' power-up when confronting Shalba proves The way the aura flows away when Issei distracts her looks pretty damn good. BorN's JD transformation is significantly better, looking quite painful. Hero? Lots of red blurry flames; it was also significantly shorter.

Then we come to the characters emoting. With BorN, I could easily see Rias' rage at Shalba, her shock and worry at Issei's transformation. Hero? She had pretty much the exact same expression on her face as Koneko did. She looked like she was concerned she might have forgotten something at the store, not that a member of her family had just vanished and another had just transformed into something terrifying.

Hero looks like what it likely is: an anime with a more-than-usually limited budget.

You see, episode 9 of Born is one of my favorites in the series for exactly the reasons you describe and I mentioned it myself in another site. But since it is episode 0 of Hero, which tries to fix things and put in as much content as possible so that the story can flow normally again, I can't condemn this new season, not for that episode.
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:48 am Reply with quote
SkyLETV34 wrote:

You see, episode 9 of Born is one of my favorites in the series for exactly the reasons you describe and I mentioned it myself in another site. But since it is episode 0 of Hero, which tries to fix things and put in as much content as possible so that the story can flow normally again, I can't condemn this new season, not for that episode.

This was their opportunity to show what they are capable of without the pressures of time. It just didn't work for me, and I'm not seeing anything that would overcome that very negative first impression.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5,

Wait, so his potential power is summoning Rias? I know her boobs power him up but I was kind of expecting something...else. Besides, don't lots of characters in this series already have teleport/portal abilities? I thought they were kind of standard among the stronger people.

Also, I know the other side is really strong but it felt a bit of a let down that they built up the fight so much at the beginning of the episode and them everyone else promptly gets defeated off screen. Like wtf, couldn't you have at least held off the others for another episode?
DDragonking

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 5,

Wait, so his potential power is summoning Rias? I know her boobs power him up but I was kind of expecting something...else. Besides, don't lots of characters in this series already have teleport/portal abilities? I thought they were kind of standard among the stronger people.

Also, I know the other side is really strong but it felt a bit of a let down that they built up the fight so much at the beginning of the episode and them everyone else promptly gets defeated off screen. Like wtf, couldn't you have at least held off the others for another episode?
. Don’t worry his potential is something else but she is the key to unlock it like his balance breaker, but it won’t stop there since there is one more transformation that has yet to be revealed. spoiler[Cardinal Crimson Queen which is equal to Juggernaut Drive I believe if I remember right.]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6,

Is there any indication in the novels as to what relative power levels everyone is at? The enemy Hero team easily takes down team Issei, Cao Cao even manages to fend off full power Draig without suffering much damage. he also managed to blow back Azazel a couple eps back. Then original Goku shows up and mops the floor with the enemy heroes without without even trying. There just seems to be way too many jumps in strength between each new character that shows up. Oh yea, and I did call bullshit before on Leviathan saying she would guard the perimeter to make sure enemies wouldn't get away. How much good did that do?

That said, the Issei's potential power up did not disappoint. Does this mean we get Rias nipple button scenes before every major fight now? And can it accidentally get triggered when she's sleeping naked with him and he accidentally cops a feel?
James S.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:49 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 6,

Is there any indication in the novels as to what relative power levels everyone is at? The enemy Hero team easily takes down team Issei, Cao Cao even manages to fend off full power Draig without suffering much damage. he also managed to blow back Azazel a couple eps back. Then original Goku shows up and mops the floor with the enemy heroes without without even trying. There just seems to be way too many jumps in strength between each new character that shows up. Oh yea, and I did call bullshit before on Leviathan saying she would guard the perimeter to make sure enemies wouldn't get away. How much good did that do?

That said, the Issei's potential power up did not disappoint. Does this mean we get Rias nipple button scenes before every major fight now? And can it accidentally get triggered when she's sleeping naked with him and he accidentally cops a feel?

The novels will typically show how strong a character is relative to others just fine, though it's usually through the thoughts of a character and thus typically not adapted.

Also do remember that while Issei and co. are equivalent to hight-tier devils, angels, fallen and whatnot, Cao Cao has a Sacred Gear canonically stated to be the most overpowered even among the most overpowered sacred gears that are capable of killing off gods with proper training. The Hero faction in general also has more knowledge about our hero's skills and abilities and how to go against them while remaining relatively unknown. It kinda comes with the territory of being supernatural terrorists. Evidence of this is shown briefly in a flashback about how they were repeatedly sending sacred gear users to fight their group and forcefully get some to reach balance breaker. With all those fights, if no information was collected they'd be pretty stupid as far as antagonists go.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
High School DxD is more or less what you get when you cross shonen action with harem fanservice, and this episode is Exhibit A. It has the kind of dramatic ass-pull power-up that's long been a staple of shonen action series with a distinctive harem twist: the protagonist has to poke his lady's titties in order to trigger it.

This feels oddly relavant: https://twitter.com/lalmich/status/999202101707362304

xD

And yeah, i might have mentioned this somewhere in the Forum, but DxD has always been a shonen, heck, it only has Ecchi cause the editor thought it would help sell it. (Ishibumi's previous work SLASH/DOG - which is set in the same universe as DxD - is proof that he can write without Ecchi stuff) TNK turned it up to 11 to get people to watch it too, and now Passione has been trying to give us the same, only toned down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10