• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Now that the episode 10 review has been posted, I want to be clear that it is entirely based on the version made available to CR.

Frankly, this is one of the very rare times that I actually prefer the less explicit version that we got. That scene is intense enough and effective enough that we don't need whatever else the more explicit version offers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:
JacobC wrote:
. So no, Crunchyroll is not censoring your anime, and people can stop conspiracy theorizing about that just because they don't want to pay for anime.

Which... doesn't change the fact the Crunchyroll version is censored and if you want to see the original you have to watch it through other means.

Calling any version of the episode at this point 'The Original' is a disingenuous statement. They are all variations produced and released concurrently. None of these versions is in any way more or less 'original' than the other.

People generally want to see the least censored version of any media, though.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Which... doesn't change the fact the Crunchyroll version is censored and if you want to see the original you have to watch it through other means.

There isn't an uncensored original. They are all censored. The "original" has black over parts of the scenes. There is only censored but unedited (the one on Wakanim, I believe), or censored and edited (the one most licensors received).
So either way you're getting censored until home ent arrives.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
The discussion at this current point can be summed up as;

"Just because the majority of Japanese viewers could ALSO only access censored version of the episode does not in any mean that this is not ENTIRELY the fault of Crunchyroll and the Anitwitter EssJayDoubleEws mafia who secretly control all corporate interests in the anime fandom from their bunker under the Watergate hotel."

FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Christ, what a goofy episode.

Any source of menace from Gold Douche and Silver Douche is gutted by the fact that they're preening juvenile bullies swilling wine in bathrobes, let alone Raios's swan dive into Rapeland and his five meter tongue. At least him and Tweedledum are finally gone.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
This episode just pisses me off, why make your characters so cartoonishly over the top, they just needed mustaches to twist to complete the look. It completely negates the seriousness of the subject and comes across as a joke and reminded me of, well, all the other sexual assault scenes in this show. I get that we are suppose to find it deplorable but it just makes me hate the show.

Also find it odd Goblin Slayer was controversial yet I personally find the scenes here much more distasteful but censorship of the episode is the biggest talking point. Confused
crazytoledo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
JacobC wrote:
. So no, Crunchyroll is not censoring your anime, and people can stop conspiracy theorizing about that just because they don't want to pay for anime.

You do realize how many series air in some form of a censored format overseas with the fully uncensored version not made available until the home video release? Besides having to censor it to air, it also incentivizes people buying the media when it's released. This happens for so many shows and is almost never an issue.

The reality is the licensor provides the source material for streaming services to use. Aniplex provided a censor version, the same with the other stateside streaming services that also air SAO. The internet is trying to single out Crunchyroll like they intentionally censored it because they didn't want to air the original material as is. That is a lie and the people spreading it continue to do so when they're explicitly told that what they're saying is not true.

Hence the reason for the comment being made.
pikkuhukka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
so very well adapted episode, rape is bad, sure, but well adpted anyway, prolly the best ep thusfar
gacha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked by people's positive reaction to censorship and general negativity towards any even a bit controversial content. Soon we'll have only anime comprised of fluffy unicorns and I'll only have you guys to blame ("you" in general, obviously, not just the forum). You have already destroyed other media with your fake outrages and oversensitivity, please don't touch anime and anime games.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
I bailed on Sword Art Online at the halfway point of season 2 where it more or less confirmed to me that it was never going to get any better. But out of hearing about the most recent episode being what it is... I took a look out of morbid curiosity and it was vile. Sickening, stomach-turning vile. And for it to get a B rating.... I don't want to be rude to the reviewer but I think that Mr. Theron Martin should perhaps exam himself for certain privileges that he may still be unaware of if he sees nothing wrong with this episode.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I bailed on Sword Art Online at the halfway point of season 2 where it more or less confirmed to me that it was never going to get any better. But out of hearing about the most recent episode being what it is... I took a look out of morbid curiosity and it was vile. Sickening, stomach-turning vile. And for it to get a B rating.... I don't want to be rude to the reviewer but I think that Mr. Theron Martin should perhaps exam himself for certain privileges that he may still be unaware of if he sees nothing wrong with this episode.

Sorry, but you fully admit to viewing some content completely out of any contextual basis apart from some morbid curiosity. And then proceed to question a reviewers judgment? Particularly as the reviewer identifies that there are several things wrong with the episode. If we are going down that route of viewing media without context then there are innumerable examples of "vileness". Many far worse than what is on display in SAO. As Theron explains in his review there is some important context for the events that took place, and he questions himself whether they needed to occur as they did.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Sorry, but you fully admit to viewing some content completely out of any contextual basis apart from some morbid curiosity. And then proceed to question a reviewers judgment? Particularly as the reviewer identifies that there are several things wrong with the episode. If we are going down that route of viewing media without context then there are innumerable examples of "vileness". Many far worse than what is on display in SAO. As Theron explains in his review there is some important context for the events that took place, and he questions himself whether they needed to occur as they did.

Theron Martin wrote:
Could these same goals have been achieved with a different approach? Maybe, but the horrifying impact of the situation certainly justifies Eugeo breaking through that barrier.

I'd hardly call that questioning if you say it still justifies sexual assault in your narrative. And aren't we overly defensive?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
So that's the, what, third time the series has ham-handedly used rape in a misguided attempt to add drama? Fourth? More than that? I've genuinely lost count, and I'm not even watching this season.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
partially wrote:

Theron Martin wrote:
Could these same goals have been achieved with a different approach? Maybe, but the horrifying impact of the situation certainly justifies Eugeo breaking through that barrier.

I'd hardly call that questioning if you say it still justifies sexual assault in your narrative. And aren't we overly defensive?

I think you might have misread the situation.

Theron isn't justifying the sexual assault, he's justifying Eugeo's Response to the sexual assault, which was his eye exploding and the ensuing dismembering of the nobles limbs in all their blood gushing gore. The parts that were 'censored' and are the cause of most of the noise people are discussing.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
Can we drop it with the implications that someone is objectively wrong or a morally bad person because they have a different reaction to a piece of media than you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13