• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Angel Beats! Complete Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people have been commenting on the series's episode count and while I understand where the sentiment comes from, I really wouldn't have wanted the show to be much more than, say, 15-16 episodes (like Baccano! or Bakemonogatari) - assuming that the show stuck with its spoiler["graduating from Limbo"] premise. To stretch that premise to 24-26 eppies would have gotten pretty tedious, I think.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with this review. I thought it was horribly written, with several plot holes that only viewers can fill in an attempt of sticking to their idea of liking the show, a very clumsy attempt at mixing comedy and drama and finally, like previous comment said, it tried to hard to manipulate the audience.

I normally don't comment on something I don't like but I was very surprised this got such high marks.

Cause this is not just a mediocre series, it's ambiciously bad.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
This review nailed everything I liked about the show. This was a great show, and I'm thrilled to have the BD on my shelves. Easily in my top 5 of 2010.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote
Just finished this up last evening, and rather enjoyed it.
After finishing a series, waking up the next day still thinking about it means that the creators did a good job of making something that fit your interest.

I can't tell you how many series I watch that I basically forget as soon as the dvd comes out of the player.

I am really looking forward to getting some of my friends who do not care for drama to watch this, the humor and action, music, and gorgeous animation will keep them around for the other parts. It will be interesting to see the results.

I have found that all of the Key Anime have been to my taste, and anything new from them is an auto future purchase.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
The extras are mostly the huge array of clean openings and closings, though one is missing notably (Ep 4 opening, the rock and roll version). That saddens me a little.

I was sad about the lack of the ep 4 OP too. However, the credits themselves are a part of the animation, so it's already essentially a clean opening; just go back to the episode and watch it. However, one of the endings is also missing (not sure which one), and the ep 10 ED is set to the wrong music.

I'm not sure why everyone is whining about plot holes. Except for the forced romances (which I attribute to too few episodes to develop them properly), I didn't see any plot holes until I read this thread. Everything made perfect sense to me as I watched spoiler[I never once assumed the time in the show directly related to time in real life, so Kanade arriving before Otonashi didn't seem out of place]. I also liked the ending - which is something I can't say for a lot of shows. spoiler[I thought the message that even after they passed on, Kanade and Otonashi's souls would find each other again in their next lives was nice].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5