• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Hero Academia Character Gets Name Change Following Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Before things get out of hand, let's leave American political figures out of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Where was this outrage when Hajime Isayama modeled one of the good guys in AOT after an Imperial General who invaded Korea?

It was all over Twitter, Tumblr, and Korean websites. And as always, death threats ensued.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Blanket statements based on people's ethnicity won't be tolerated here. Please go read The Rules post in the forum if you aren't familiar with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
Haterater wrote:
I'm hoping that this would give some in Japan to find more sources about the event since its not being taught there well.

The issue is more complicated than that. Japan has acknowledged and apologized for their war crimes many times, as well as having them being taught in curriculum. The problem is it's not enough for some Chinese and Korean protesters. When they say it's not taught well enough, they mean it's not it's own dedicated history book and required course students are required to take every year like a dog getting its nose rubbed into the carpet it peed on. A lot of these people harbor outright racist anti-Japanese views, what with routinely burning Japanese flags and effigies of Japanese leaders while chanting for for blood tributes. In Korea, Japanese media was banned until the 2000s, and after anime, video games, and other stuff started becoming popular with the youth, this led to the older generations and racists calling their youth race traitors. That's a kind of hatred that can never be sated short of complete subjugation or outright destruction, so it's best not to even humor it. Most of the younger generations in each country have moved on and made amends.

Correct me on a couple of things if I'm wrong but doesn't Japan still have a problem with racism towards both Koreans and Chinese people?

Also don't they still have something of a problem with acknowledging certain things they did in the war such as using Korean women as sex slaves?

I ask because while you might call the opposition to this subject extreme and unfair towards Japan. Japan isn't itself isn't wholly innocent or above legitimate criticism for certain conduct.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
Censorship Always wins... What a sh** world that we live in... WTF man, its just a WORD! The next step now will be force Hollywood to not use the world 'Nazi' too... ¬¬

In the UK we have 20 something millennial's that want the teaching of WW2 ended because it causes 'trauma' and because it happened so long ago it's no longer relevant.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
^
Keep it relevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
One would think the editor would have picked up on that before it went into print.
DCR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:25 am Reply with quote
Horikoshi deserves the benefit of doubt, since the name has other meanings that fit the story in many ways.

He will change the name, the outrage should have stopped here.
Beyond that, it's just mob harrassement.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:26 am Reply with quote
I don't think 'not distributing a work in a whole country' is simple 'mob harassment'. China is a big, big part of any given anime/manga's money nowadays, and this could be a huge deal going forward if even after the name change the companies there simply decide they don't want MHA anymore.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Correct me on a couple of things if I'm wrong but doesn't Japan still have a problem with racism towards both Koreans and Chinese people?

Also don't they still have something of a problem with acknowledging certain things they did in the war such as using Korean women as sex slaves?

I ask because while you might call the opposition to this subject extreme and unfair towards Japan. Japan isn't itself isn't wholly innocent or above legitimate criticism for certain conduct.

I don't know enough about the racism angle to comment on that.

As for the Korean "comfort women", that is a thorny issue:
The Japanese and the Koreans did negotiate reparations/settlement decades ago. The Japanese paid the Koreans a massive sum of money which was calculated as a certain amount per victim. The assumption was that the money would go to the victims and their familes. However, the Korean government spent the money on infrastructure instead. So, from the Japanese perspective they owned up to what they did and they paid a mutually agreeable settlement for it. Multiple Japanese prime ministers have issued formal apologies for it as well. Yet, from the victim's perspective nothing at all happened because the Korean government spent their settlement on roads and electrical power grids.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:52 am Reply with quote
Minor detail, but since we're looking at puns and coincidences i think it's worth pointing out that this same chapter which reveals the doc's name ends with him spoiler[being attacked by Endeavor, the flame hero.]
Just something i feel lends credence to the claim Hori was going for the 'log' pun and not anything else.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
making levity of Unit 731 is unironically as low as you go as a human being. I lost all respect for the author, personally.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:26 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
making levity of Unit 731 is unironically as low as you go as a human being. I lost all respect for the author, personally.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt he wasn't purposely trying to be be crass, only that he probably read the room very wrong. A lot of American comic characters borrow names, powers, and origins from wars and tragedies all the time. He could have been trying to emulate that like he does for other things in American comics. The main difference is Japan and China have always had a tenuous relationship at best over topics like this so it was obviously going to be a lot worse than how DC and Marvel both have super villains named Holocaust.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt he wasn't purposely trying to be be crass, only that he probably read the room very wrong. A lot of American comic characters borrow names, powers, and origins from wars and tragedies all the time. He could have been trying to emulate that like he does for other things in American comics. The main difference is Japan and China have always had a tenuous relationship at best over topics like this so it was obviously going to be a lot worse than how DC and Marvel both have super villains named Holocaust.

like dude, they have a good reason to have tenuous relationships.

like the problem I have with a lot of anime fans is they feel like Koreans especially are overly vindictive about this. Like they seem to blow things out of proportion in regards to this or the comfort women issue. I even used to be one of those people that thought "damn kind of whiny over the past."

BUT, once/if you go down the rabbit hole about Unit 731 properly, you might come out with shades of Shinobu Sensui imprinted on your personality.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Well said, and I agree completely.

in a different topic captain_bunny posted:
Quote:
Part of me thinks that Horikoshi did know what he was doing. Not out of ignorance but trying to have the reader understand how awful this villain is

If this was a deliberate reference than that seems like the most likely explanation by far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9