• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigun Stampede Anime Reveals Trailer, Cast, Staff, Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:34 am Reply with quote
Atelier wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Wow. Remember Berserk 2016? It's back! In Trigun form!

Such nonsense. People are getting way too blinded by their hate for CG. In no universe does this look even remotely bad. Prefering the old animation style, I understand, but most certainly isn't comparable to Berserk.

I don't think the CG looks bad, it just doesn't look good for Trigun. It's way too slick and clean for a series that had a pretty unique and kinda gritty art style that was a space western with even Mad Max influences.

Last edited by Allison Addams on Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:38 am Reply with quote
PandaXs1 wrote:
how is that supposed to be "K-pop" hair? that just sounds like shorthand for "thing I don't like so I'll blame something trendy I also don't like". y'know, like how non-anime fans used to describe anything vaguely stylized as "anime". that hair doesn't look out of place for something made in 2022.

Pretty sure Machine Gun Kelly has that exact hair style that the redesigned Vash is sporting. And I just hate that I reminded myself of MGK.

Why change needle noggin.
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:16 am Reply with quote
This felt like watching a Sword Art Online movie. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PandaXs1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:55 am Reply with quote
Allison Addams wrote:
PandaXs1 wrote:
how is that supposed to be "K-pop" hair? that just sounds like shorthand for "thing I don't like so I'll blame something trendy I also don't like". y'know, like how non-anime fans used to describe anything vaguely stylized as "anime". that hair doesn't look out of place for something made in 2022.

Pretty sure Machine Gun Kelly has that exact hair style that the redesigned Vash is sporting. And I just hate that I reminded myself of MGK.

Why change needle noggin.

idk who that even is either, like I'm not sure how good an argument is if it's being compared to things that not only aren't known by everyone, but aren't even in the same realm as anime.

like if people were making comparisons to other anime characters that'd be one thing, but that's not even what's going on here.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:10 am Reply with quote
It’s definitely not for me. I’ll pass.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
At least it's not the super choppy style of CG. This looks like a remake of the original. I wonder if there will be anything different or if it's literally just the old show but now CG?
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
At least it's not the super choppy style of CG. This looks like a remake of the original. I wonder if there will be anything different or if it's literally just the old show but now CG?

They said it is an original story and there are a few hints that it is a prequel that takes place in the years before the July incident.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
It's ugly and somehow triggered my motion sickness a bit. Sorry not sorry.

Even if you think the 3dcg looks good you have to admit the style doesn't fit Trigun.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:42 pm Reply with quote
FiendHunter wrote:
But why couldn't it be Onosaka Masaya? :'/

I've been asking that question since the new cast was announced. I'm just hoping, seeing as it's the 25th anniversary and all, that the OG Japanese cast gets cameos.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:05 pm Reply with quote
EducatedRuffian wrote:
FiendHunter wrote:

I've been asking that question since the new cast was announced. I'm just hoping, seeing as it's the 25th anniversary and all, that the OG Japanese cast gets cameos.

Onosaka is like 57 years old, Hayami Shou who played Wolfwood is 63, etc. Yes, as an avid radio listener I maintain that a person's voice does not necessarily reflect their age, but also voice does tend to change with time, and not in a way that makes a person sound more youthful. And in this particular case, where it's a plot point that the characters are young? You don't want to have them played by people around their sixties, just because some people have fond memories of hearing them in a previous adaptation 30 years ago... Besides, you'll want to try and reel in a new audience as well as old fans, and younger seiyuu, popular or up-and-coming, are part of that effort. And at least this is not stunt casting like what they did with LoGH:DNT... bleh.

(Hayami Shou, in particular, has started sounding like his age recently... I love his voice, but he just wouldn't be convincing as Wolfwood anymore. Onosaka's voice hasn't changed that much, but he definitely doesn't have that "pure" quality it used to have back in the day.)

Last edited by SHD on Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:09 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
EducatedRuffian wrote:
FiendHunter wrote:

Onosaka is like 57 years old, Hayami Shou who played Wolfwood is 63, etc. Yes, as an avid radio listener I maintain that a person's voice does not necessarily reflect their age, but also voice does tend to change with time, and not in a way that makes a person sound more youthful. And in this particular case, where it's a plot point that the characters are young? You don't want to have them played by people around their sixties, just because some people have fond memories of hearing them in a previous adaptation 30 years ago... You'll want to try and reel in a new audience as well as old fans, and young, up-and-coming seiyuu are part of that effort.

I refer you r.e. the end of my comment: CAMEOS. A bit part or something like a member of the seeds ship crew or any person on the planet.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
EducatedRuffian wrote:
I refer you r.e. the end of my comment: CAMEOS. A bit part or something like a member of the seeds ship crew or any person on the planet.

Yes, and I was replying to this, bolding by me:
EducatedRuffian wrote:
FiendHunter wrote:

FiendHunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:29 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
FiendHunter wrote:

Onosaka's voice hasn't changed that much, but he definitely doesn't have that "pure" quality it used to have back in the day.)

Maybe it's because I follow his Youtube channel and regularly watch/listen to him, and he sounds as energetic as always to me, but I do admit it's been quite a while since I've watched Trigun so perhaps I'm misremembering how he sounded as Vash.

I don't think it would've been that impossible though. Shaman King had most of its entire orignal cast back for the 2021 reboot.

But I do understand that this is not a reboot but a prequel...
It's just that I can't pictue Vash with Matsuoka's voice, but this is personal taste I guess.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:30 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:

Even if you think the 3dcg looks good you have to admit the style doesn't fit Trigun.

What style fits and doesn’t fit it is subjective though. Which why you have people complaining about it and people who’re fine with it.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:18 am Reply with quote
I don't mean to belittle the previous anime but I'd prefer this not to be a prequel to that. I'd rather it have placement in the manga. The anime just hasn't held up in the story department for me. I could live with it, maybe even love it, it's Trigun. It's just not my current preference.
But that's really my only sort of not really a concern. Of course, if it's adjacent to either or an alternate world story, then no problem, Trigun Universe #3!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5