• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Gets Gurren Lagann TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SomeVito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I also question how big of a hit this anime would be. Don't mecha anime generally not do so well in North America? I know the Gundam series has never really been that big, except maybe Wing and Seed, since they were on television.

I don't think Seed did that well since it got relgated to a 5am timeslot on Friday night/Saturday morning halfway through. I think Gurren Lagann can do a bit better though since its mroe of a Super Robot shonen show about willpower and hot blood rather than some sort of serious drama about war and politics.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't see what good it will do for Bandai to release sub only sets first and then provide a dub later. It's just better to wait for a dual-audio release. Why doesn't Bandai just save their plastic DVD cases for other shows that matter?
TheTrueUndead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I mean, come on people. We knew something was going on at ADV, but of all the titles in question, this is the only one that didn't come back, IIRC. So clearly ADV is still alive and kicking and then some.

There are still a handful that they had that have yet to be put back or listed on their site afaik (Pumpkin Scissors and Le Chevalier are 2 off the top of my head) so I'm still kind of wondering on those. At least with Le Chev I got all my volumes already but I do want PS and if they still have it I don't know why it wouldn't be on the site...makes me wonder. Anyways...that was a little off tangent, back to GL...
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I for one am happy that Bandai has it.
I don't like ADV.

Despite ADV's internet popularity, I usually can't stand their dubs and I think they rip off the consumers by stretching shows over so many dvds. I feel their reliance on a vocal minority of rabid internet fans is what has led to their recent troubles.

Bandai has almost always given me more value for my dollar and I usually prefer dubs by Bang Zoom, Ocean Group, and Funimation to just about anything ADV does.

Also, as has been said before, it increases the likelihood of an American TV broadcast, which is always nice.

I'm sure my opinion will be in the minority here, but I have no problem seeing ADV lose shows. I think they helped to over saturate the market with bad and mediocre shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
It's interesting license news, I'll give it that. But people seriously need to be slower to start "the sky is falling" routine. It was old a few months ago.

i'd say it's warrranted in this case. there were already concerns when they started making financial cutbacks (Newtype) but now they lose the biggest series of 2007? that's some serious cause for concern.

Key wrote:
As others have noted, 2007's "hot amongst fans" series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was not the sales blockbuster everyone expected, and unless it gets on TV TTGL feels like it's in the same position.

Haruhi was the perfect example of a niche series. only people who would buy it are hardcore otakus. it's been pretty much proven that action series sell better to a general audience. if this gets Adult Swim syndication (which is looking good now), this series will be huge. also the model Bandai's using to sell it makes it pretty much an impulse buy if you're a fan of the series. people who don't care about dubs can hopefully get a high-quality dvd with extras.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
angieness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
while I love the idea of the whole series coming out this year, I'm very very disappointed to hear I'm going to have to wait until 2009 for the dub. I'm really not sure what I should do. Should I buy it all sub only and rebuy the dub if the price is right? Just wait it out? This really sucks. I may as well wait it out since I've already seen all the fansubs and buy the dub when it comes out.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
TheTrueUndead wrote:

There are still a handful that they had that have yet to be put back or listed on their site afaik (Pumpkin Scissors and Le Chevalier are 2 off the top of my head) so I'm still kind of wondering on those. At least with Le Chev I got all my volumes already but I do want PS and if they still have it I don't know why it wouldn't be on the site...makes me wonder.

The majority are back though which is something more people should remember.

And I still don't see this as the biggest title of 2007 (and if it is, it must have been a slow year).
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Soooooooooo, Bandai has Gundam, Haruhi, Gurren Lagann, and Code Geass?

I would be nice to see them show up them bastards over at Viz.
Beruda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Just because Bandai is releasing this series why do people think it has a good chance of getting on Adult Swim? While I have heard the name I don't know anything about it.

B.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

When you manage to lose one of the most marketable shows of a year, you have to be in some sort of trouble. You wouldn't just give up a title like that willingly in order to pursue crap like Devil May Cry more.

Most marketable according to who? As Key said, Devil May Cry has far more marketing potential that Gurren Lagann ever could and it has nothing to do with quality. And there is more to making a profit than the number of copies sold. It may be that they simply weren't willing to pay the asking price. Or there could be any number of circumstances that no one that didn't sign an NDA will every know.

Conan-san wrote:
Well, what have we learned here?

Sticking your thumb in your ass and not releasing a show leads to that show geting taken from you and given to someone who will actualy do it.

Now if sunrise would just take the rights of Keroro Gunsou off thier swetty hands already. I think ADV needs to learn the lesson.

Frankly, I think ADV was crazy to license that in the first place. And a series of that length NEEDS a TV deal. They would be insane to try to release it without one. And I believe they said somewhere recently that a TV deal is a prerequisite for the DVD release.

marie-antoinette wrote:

I also question how big of a hit this anime would be. Don't mecha anime generally not do so well in North America? I know the Gundam series has never really been that big, except maybe Wing and Seed, since they were on television.

So was the original Gundam, G Gundam, 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team. And SEED ended its run in the 2:00 am death slot. Gundam simly hasn't been that popular since Wing. Destiny and Zeta are the only Gundam TV series that didn't air on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim.

v1cious wrote:

i'd say it's warrranted in this case. there were already concerns when they started making financial cutbacks (Newtype) but now they lose the biggest series of 2007? that's some serious cause for concern.

There was never any evidence they did have it after the whole ordeal in February. GL was missing from the list when they put things back on their site and started shipping their titles again.

v1cious wrote:
if this gets Adult Swim syndication (which is looking good now), this series will be huge.

And when was the last time ADV had any of their shows on Adult Swim? Bandai clearly gets that done better, so perhaps GL will get one. And maybe that was a factor in why Bandai took it from ADV. Regardless, I don't see this as an indication that ADV is in trouble just because they don't have what some people are calling "the biggest title of the year." It's not the first time ADV has lost a title to another company, it just happened when they had other issues this time and faith in their survival is low.

Beruda wrote:
Just because Bandai is releasing this series why do people think it has a good chance of getting on Adult Swim? While I have heard the name I don't know anything about it.

They don't necessarily have a good chance of getting it on AS, but they are FAR more likely to do so than ADV, which has barely had anything on AS at all. I think Evangelion is the only title of theirs to ever go on CN/AS at all.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
You guys do know that there is a possibility that Vic Mignogna can still play Viral, I mean we heard him in Haruhi

But then again Bandai might change their minds if they can't decide on who's dubbing it, I mean ADV Films dubbed Tactics for Manga Entertainment!!

But anyway for those who want to see the ADV Films english dub there are plenty of sites that have it !!
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
7ThIsGod wrote:
Heh, I find it funny you think you can hold such a criticism with not only a pretty much inconsequential argument but also empty misinformation.

I can hold such criticism because I'm far and away the type of person who lets the anime industry get away with their circus tricks.

But hey. Everybody else is saying it, not me. "Haruhi's Melancholy didn't become the ultra-God record-smashing box-office hit like it was in Japan." Fans of Haruhi didn't believe me when I told them that the reason for its lukewarm success is that anime is a niche market in the US as is.

If anything, what Bandai Entertainment is doing to GL is haphazard. They wanna keep that show fresh in everyone's mind. But the show itself, and the feeling you get from watching it, needs to sell before adding all the unnecessary noise-makers.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They don't necessarily have a good chance of getting it on AS, but they are FAR more likely to do so than ADV, which has barely had anything on AS at all. I think Evangelion is the only title of theirs to ever go on CN/AS at all.

Don't forget Super Milk-chan , though I don't like the show I think it should be noted, and Martian Successor Nadesico , and Dai-Guard were once on Toonami (For one week though)[/quote]

Last edited by ShugoYotsuba on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:

Don't forget Super Milk-chan , though I do'n like the show I think it should be noted

I figured I was forgetting something but I had no idea what it might have been.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol: More moe junk does not make FUNimation more mature than ADV. I can agree with you on the Great Hacks hate, though. They brag about being fans, and then make shows which are as elitist and/or shallow as possible.

Lack: ADV's problems have more to do with putting too many fingers in too many pies than anything else. Their fan shows are probably closer in tune to the market than the stuff Geneon released.

v1cious: Action series sell, but generally ones which are modeled out of the shonen/shojo mold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9