• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
As much as I enjoy Darkness 2, I really wish they could have gotten an actual male to do Rito's voice since I feel that Akeno Watanabe's voice for him is, to put it nicely, lame. It's distracting watching for the fan service and hearing a woman voice the lead klutz. Thankfully, most of my subbed anime is watched muted.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Prison School is one of the best comedy anime I have seen in a really long time. I didn't notice any of those animation problems thanks to the mad pacing, and damn the pacing was indeed mad!

But this show doesn't have any rewatch value. The jokes lose their impacts on the second viewing.

Last edited by jojothepunisher on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
anim.appre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
prison school anime was too headlong... i love the manga but thisssssssssss......the best manga or you could say story length for episode1 should be around 14:39(prison intro)...its like watching a 4 15min episode run compressed to 22mins. B.S.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Not gonna watch TLDR2 or Kangoku Gakuen until the BDs or maybe uncensored broadcasts are out. I don't even rewatch the BEST anime TV shows most of the time (maybe after several years and I've forgotten good chunks, and it's now out in a better high quality format), so I'm not going to watch these twice. That's not a comment on their quality, just on not wasting time on a lesser product.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Is the Preview Guide officially wrapped up or will there be covering for God Eater assuming it doesn't get pushed back again?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
was even more lost reading Rebecca's review, I mean, I understand if this kind of humor is not her thing, but what exactly did she expect coming into a show with such a premise?)

The only thing I got from the premise was "guys enroll at a former girls' school," and because I like to go into the new shows knowing as little as possible (so I can't form biases beforehand), that was it. (Well, I knew it was based on a manga.) This may be a case where my method bit me, but that's the explanation.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
I watched Gakkou Gurashi and I'm just slightly disturbed. I mean, it's realistic, spoiler[what person wouldn't go a little insane while experiencing a zombie apocalypse?] But I just didn't expect it. I had spoiled myself to some of the series and knew what the premise was and all about how it presented itself, but somehow I managed to stay unspoiled to that. It was a little boring at some points, but the end really made up for it. 3.5/5 I'll be watching more!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Is the Preview Guide officially wrapped up or will there be covering for God Eater assuming it doesn't get pushed back again?

Provided it shows up today, yeah, we'll cover it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
The only thing I got from the premise was "guys enroll at a former girls' school,"

Seriously, the word "Prison" in the title didn't trigger any notion at all? Anime titles can be quite obscure so I suppose that is forgivable.

But having seen it, you must have realized that Prison School is both a parody and a satire, a combination not easy to pull off as well as they do here.

What is it a parody of? Well for example something like Monster Musume where I just posted. But endless other anime in the Love Hina vein are also in its target sights. PS basically says well you think that crap is funny try THIS on for size.

They are also making fun of people who actually fantasize about being treated the way the characters are treated. A quick search around the internet will yield any number of clumps of people who write tons of fiction that reads like this. Don't think they aren't or won't be watching this. Also don't think they aren't aware they are being made fun of. And further don't think they care they will still enjoy this.

What is the satire? That remains to be developed but having read some of the manga I think I know where it is going and too soon to discuss it here.

What I find amazing is that the imagery is so well constructed that too many people including the reviewers, other posters in this thread, AND MYSELF are lulled into taking it seriously. I actually had a hard time watching it even knowing ahead of time what was going to happen and how extreme it was going to be. As repulsive as the male characters are (and they pretty much pulled out all the stops WTF is up with Andre's character design) and how they are treated I still end being outraged on those idiot's behalf. The girls are harder to identify with obviously but that's their role in this.

So PS is actually excellent, but that doesn't mean it is for everyone. Personally I am on the fence about whether I am going to watch the rest or not.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

But having seen it, you must have realized that Prison School is both a parody and a satire

It did occur to me, yes. How well it was done is a matter of opinion, and I frankly got more of the parody aspect than the satire, of which I saw only hints. I'm sure it will become more clear as it goes on, but I'm not going to stick around to find out. (Though I may read the streaming reviews.) In any event, I prefer Horatian satire to Juvenalian, which is where I saw this one landing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

What is it a parody of? Well for example something like Monster Musume where I just posted. But endless other anime in the Love Hina vein are also in its target sights. PS basically says well you think that crap is funny try THIS on for size.

That isn't parody. You're saying it has a theme, but what you just described is not a "parody" of anything.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
That isn't parody. You're saying it has a theme, but what you just described is not a "parody" of anything.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
A parody (/ˈpærədi/; also called spoof, send-up or lampoon), in use, is a work created to imitate, make fun of, or comment on an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of satiric or ironic imitation.

Or if you prefer google's dictionary:
Quote:
an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.
"the movie is a parody of the horror genre"

The "imitation" attribute comes from the fact humor is majorly derived from distorted female characters physically abusing distorted male characters. What makes it funny is that in real life males are actually the gender with most societal advantages although they often do not feel that way. As I wrote before if you have seen it too much the effect is diminished but it is still there.

It "makes fun" of the genre by taking it to a ridiculous extreme. The violence could not be sustained in real life but is just a magnification of what goes on in the typical rom-com anime. You don't really have "student councils" underground or otherwise that have the power to imprison other students but we are in the same area here as Kill la Kill which also was frequently misunderstood. And so on.

I also assert the case that PS is lampooning the actual BDSM community which, I suspect, might enjoy this without caring about that.

Sorry but I just don't see any justification for the statement that PS is "not a parody of anything."
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
The "imitation" attribute comes from the fact humor is majorly derived from distorted female characters physically abusing distorted male characters. What makes it funny is that in real life males are actually the gender with most societal advantages although they often do not feel that way. As I wrote before if you have seen it too much the effect is diminished but it is still there.

That's not parody, though. It's just comedy. Unless you mean it's a parody of real life... otherwise known as comedy.

The questionable joke of "girl beats up guy which is funny because girls are weak and/or the guy is a wimp and not a Real Man" is already very common in anime and comedy in general, so we're not really breaking new ground there. It's a really over-the-top example, so it could be satire. That can be pretty hard to figure out with anime, though; many shows will have the most ludicrous settings imaginable and have no hidden meaning whatsoever, but sometimes you get things like YuriKuma. Poe's Law is very much in effect here.
JONJONAUG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Prison School feels like what the sex comedies of the 70s should have become, rather than what we have today. It's more readily comparable to stuff like Go Nagai's "Kekko Kamen" in its way over the top slapstick, gross out humor, and complete nonsense plot rather than anything else that you see get an anime these days.

I don't think it's a "parody" of anything really. Personally I think that the things that constitute an actually good sex comedy show are so rare these days that people are surprised by something that comes along and actually hits all the right notes in its presentation, rather than the typical stuff that you get from something like To-Love-Ru Darkness or trash light novel adaptations. If it feels like a parody then that's because you aren't used to something that just throws caution to the wind not caring what you think of it, or you're not used to something that has the goal of "this is really funny and also sexual" rather than "this is really sexual and also funny".
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow Shimoneta episode 2 has actually upped the sexual comedy this time around. Also some nice nostalgia moments as well. I am really liking that the show has varying degrees of lewdness and sexual comedy. Makes me wonder how many characters are going to join the rebels seeing how much fun Blue Snow is having.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 48