• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I see the Guide has been knocked off the front page. Oh well- it's understandable, some shows are getting to the fourth episode mark.

Thought maybe someone would review the second episode of Uraboku (I would be curious because the BL lite story turns me off but thought the story might be better than most and wonder where it goes after the first episode)...

Well, I'm not professional reviewer or previewer, but I guess it is more of the same as the first episode. I'll summarise the episode for you:

More pretty boys for one (but that was a given).

The rest are spoilers, but I'll try to word them in such a way that it hopefully won't ruin your enjoyment):

spoiler[So a rich guy claiming to be Yuki's half-brother turns up and wants Yuki to live with him in Tokyo.]

spoiler[A scene of Yuki playing nicely with some of the orphan girls.]

spoiler[The brother and sister we saw in the first episode standing around chatting; they seem a little too close.]

spoiler[Yuki hears a woman's voice and starts accidentally unleashing a portion of his hidden power.]

spoiler[A scene with Kanata, who tries to (verbally) comfort him.]

spoiler[Another confrontation with that pyscho glasses dude who tried to kill him. Another accidental release of his hidden power occurs.]

spoiler[Running through the rain all dramatic-like.]

spoiler[Meets trenchcoat-wearing dude. Has tender moment.]

spoiler[Badly-rendered CGI monster attacks Yuki. Saved by his half-brother and his underlings.]

spoiler[Half-brother makes another appeal to join him.]

Pretty by-the-book stuff. It doesn't get better, it doesn't get worse (that I could tell). The music seemed pretty good though, but not as good as some other shows this season.

So if the first episode was enjoyable then this one should be as well. If it was only tolerable, then it's up to you whether or not to check the second episode out. I'm going to at least watch the third before deciding whether or not to drop it, but if I had to make the decision based on just the first two episodes then I'd probably drop it. Beyond looking and sounding nice it just doesn't offer anything new. I've got enough shows to watch this season as it is (not to mention a few shows from last season as well). Man I'm swamped.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of The Tatami Galaxy is up and streaming at the usual places (Hulu and Youtube). Even though the guide has been taken down, will there be previews for this one too? Shows like this need the exposure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
The first episode of The Tatami Galaxy is up and streaming at the usual places (Hulu and Youtube). Even though the guide has been taken down, will there be previews for this one too? Shows like this need the exposure.

I agree that it needs the love, but I don't know if they can just stick this up on the front page for a day before letting it disappear again...? I hope you definitely make sure to have someone give a regular review of it, as you've done for other streamed shows. It shows Arakawa Under the Bridge exactly how you're supposed to do rapid-fire humor with quirky characters and stylized animation.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
The Tatami Galaxy looks kind of interesting. I am going to give it a try for sure.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Tatami Galaxy is definitely one of those shows that would benefit greatly from a dub, whatever your language may be(unless Japanese). I don't think it has a chance of getting licensed though, but I would probably buy it if it did.

I really like the ending song as well. Smile

Although the mood, story, and character designs are vastly different, many of the backgrounds remind me of Requiem from the Darkness. And that is always a good thing in my book. Though here they seem to be more fleeting than contemplating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
swienke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
So, the big question is "What the hell is going on with Night Raid?" Why is no one subbing it? Episode three is out already and yet I can't find even a hint of a subbed episode 2. Did the subbers just decide to drop it or what? Out of all the shows coming out this season, this was one of the ones that I was most interested in, so its mysterious disappearance is pretty disappointing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 am Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
So, the big question is "What the hell is going on with Night Raid?" Why is no one subbing it? Episode three is out already and yet I can't find even a hint of a subbed episode 2. Did the subbers just decide to drop it or what? Out of all the shows coming out this season, this was one of the ones that I was most interested in, so its mysterious disappearance is pretty disappointing.

Well, apparently eight groups were thinking about working on it (two of them together I believe), and five of them (so four releases) have put out at least one episode. Another one has put out the trailer, while the last two have not released anything. Not one group has publicly stated that they have dropped the show.

The only explanation I have is that for some reason the raws are unavailable. If it had just been one or two groups that were no longer releasing, then that wouldn't have been unusual. But all of them, even though none of them had dropped it? And all of them, even though this was a highly anticipated show? Weird. Very, very weird.

Edit: Apparently there's some Russian in it, however the dialogue is supposed to be subtitled in Japanese so it can't really be the reason.

Edit edit: Okay, this is getting creepy. It seems as if all the groups have the raw, but they also have lots of internal problems. One group has just picked up both Hetalia and Gintama, another has lost their translator and two timers (for reasons other than school). Coupled with final exams for some tertiary institutions, and it looks like many fansub groups are struggling to keep up.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
Ok, I don't see how Tim could give something as lousy and boring as Under The Bridge a 4 when he gives B Gata H Kei NOTHING! I can understand Angel Beats because I hear everyone's saying that's a good one, but even he gives that one a 3! *facepalm* That's all I gotta say.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Ok, I don't see how Tim could give something as lousy and boring as Under The Bridge a 4 when he gives B Gata H Kei NOTHING! I can understand Angel Beats because I hear everyone's saying that's a good one, but even he gives that one a 3! *facepalm* That's all I gotta say.

"Everyone" is a blind Key/KyoAni/whoever-did-all-those-shows-that-were-basically-the-same-but-in-different-seasons fan, unless the second episode was a radical improvement on the first (which really did only deserve a 3; it's not bad, just not outstanding). That said, Arakawa Under the Bridge I found to be amusing until I saw Tatami Galaxy doing something similar (bizarre humor, strange characters, stylized animation) and realized how much it stunk in comparison.

But I do have to agree, my Japanese is pretty good and I read really fast, and even I had to stop every once in a while to catch the subtitles. Tatami Galaxy will infuriate anyone who doesn't like to read subtitles in the first place.
megafilipe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
i recently watched sd gundam and it was cool
others should review it too Cool
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Carl wrote:
[Tatami Galaxy] is likely to appeal only to a very particular segment of fandom. You know who you are.

I sure do! Really enjoying it so far. I've yet to see a Yuaasa offering that matches the brilliance of Mind Game, but I've enjoyed all of his TV series so far. I'm sure this won't be a disappointment to existing Yuaasa fangirls/boys such as myself. I completely agree with point the review made about accessibility, though. I can't imagine this drawing a huge crowd outside of people who already love the weird/esoteric.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Well the Spring 2010 anime is much better than last year's and year before that. Arakawa Under the Bridge is best original comedy/romance series the year 2007 and the artwork is very lush and quite breathtaking. The character's are hilarious (especially the main character and the Mayor, the Kappa) and the plot really is quite intriguing as well. I can safely say, I will enjoy watching this series for quite a while. Hopefully this get licensed and have a English audio when licensed.

I tried watching Working, but gave up after three episodes. There are just far too many character flaws to ignore and some of the characters were either far too weird or looked like they were copied from other shows (such as the cook with Blond hair, One Piece much?)

Tatami Galaxy seems slightly strange, but actually is interesting, but slightly dark series that has massive potential. I have watched the first episode and look forward to next.

Awesome reviews ANN, I argued and disagreed with some, but mostly agreed on most the reviews. But what stood out the most was how creepy/disturbing some of those shows that were reviewed. A psychologist would probably have his or her work cut out with some of those shows though.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I really want to like Tatami Galaxy, and I can read pretty darn fast, but this anime makes it really difficult. I'm so busy reading the dialogue that's being flashed onto the screen, I can't see any of the rapid visuals (what I managed to see did look nice).

I'm either going to have to watch this multiple times to fully enjoy it or do the unthinkable (for me) and wait for a dub.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Is Carl the only one who's going to review Tatami Galaxy?

kyokun703, I'm a dubfectionist myself, but I remember being grateful that the acting for FLCL was rather good so that I could watch it first in English and follow the dialogue. If this ever gets licensed and dubbed (and I think that has an ice cube's chance in hell of happening, this is so weird) I hope it gets a really good one.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode of "The Tatami Galaxy"; truly excellent show, with a unique art direction, intricately-woven dialogues and characters who become interesting only a moment after you first hear them speak. Top it off with top-quality animation from MadHouse and an opening theme from Asian Kung-Fu Generation, and you have my pick for the best show out of this spring's line-up.

You owe it to yourself to go to Hulu or Funimation Video and watch
this show ASAP. You won't regret it. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 47 of 49