• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lucky Star 6 LE Cancellation Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Well I hope this means they don't cancel the LE releases for their other series, and I do feel sorry for the people who had been buying these releases.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
This is why I was waiting to till the end of the entire release.

I think the main blame lies with Bandai Entertainment though to be honest. Anyone in their right mind would never include such ridiculous T-shirts, however gimmicky they may be - including one per each LE in XL size is just not on. Maybe 1, but not 6! They should have secured the manga before releasing the series then included the manga with the anime, or done something else more worthwhile.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:

Congratulations, this is why it didn't come out. This excuse, right here? This is never, ever, ever viable. Ever. There have been, in recent memory, absolutely zero series that didn't end up getting their full run in some form or another. This is not some common occurrence that warrants some flag waving and "I told you so!"ing all over the place.

If one is waiting for a box set, sure, that's one thing, but this BS like "Oh, gee, I knew they'd never release the LEs so I didn't buy a single one" is a load of crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
melonbread wrote:

Congratulations, this is why it didn't come out. This excuse, right here? This is never, ever, ever viable. Ever. There have been, in recent memory, absolutely zero series that didn't end up getting their full run in some form or another.

Do you mean by Bandai or in general?

I didn't buy the LE sets because they take up too much room and I would have any use for half the stuff. I mean what is an average sized girl going to do with all those XL t-shirts? I can buy the albums I want separately too. And at $50 with only one actual DVD it would be a waste. I think Bandai cold have done the release a better way like 2 volumes or a Volume and a manga like some of their other LE's.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I mean in general. And I have no problem with people who didn't buy the LEs just because they didn't want them. I'm talking about the implication that LEs would have been purchased once all 6 were released.

Like I said, waiting for a box set is one thing, waiting for a complete release just because you don't think it will come out is a completely baseless cop-out with an almost total-lack of evidence to back it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I mean in general. And I have no problem with people who didn't buy the LEs just because they didn't want them. I'm talking about the implication that LEs would have been purchased once all 6 were released.

Like I said, waiting for a box set is one thing, waiting for a complete release just because you don't think it will come out is a completely baseless cop-out with an almost total-lack of evidence to back it up.

Why? It's completely within a person's right to be wary about if a show won't be finished. Even if that's not the case, it's comforting to see all of them out before you start buying.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's completely within a person's right to be wary about if a show won't be finished.

Because, as I said twice now, it's a completely baseless excuse with almost no proof whatsoever. There are almost no series that have not ended up finishing their run in some form or another.

As was mentioned earlier, even ADV had their final discs picked up thanks to Funi. Whining about series not being completed like it's some regular issue is a load of crap. At best, it lets you pat yourself on the back instead of knowing you contributed to the rare failure of a release, and at worst it just hides never having an intention to purchase in the first place.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Wow, calling people out because they wait for an entire series to finish releasing because they like to, you know, have the entire thing at once? For Christ's sake. I'm waiting till March for the last Gurren Lagann release so I can pick the show up all at once. Some people are, you know, completists, and I'm sure some people were waiting for all the Lucky Star special eds to pick them up when they were all released.

Why the hell is it so wrong to wait for something to be released in its entirety before picking it up?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
...Is only half of what I'm writing showing up? I'm really beginning to wonder, because for like the third time my entire point has been missed. Again:

SongstressCela wrote:

Like I said, waiting for a box set is one thing, waiting for a complete release just because you don't think it will come out is a completely baseless cop-out.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

What exactly is stopping you from buying the RE and importing the CD that would have been included with the LE from yesasia or cdjapan... CDs aren't region locked after all.

If that's the only reason you bought the LE then pay up and import the CD.

In my case, it's because I kind of care, but I don't care enough to pay the full import CD price, especially not for a CD "single" EP with only a couple of tracks on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

What exactly is stopping you from buying the RE and importing the CD that would have been included with the LE from yesasia or cdjapan... CDs aren't region locked after all.

Well, I for one, will pay to import the CD at some point. I almost always try and buy the soundtracks for the anime that I buy. However, importing over LE has two problems:

1. The insert and song info are in Japanese. That always makes it harder to get even romanized titles for the songs, let alone English translations for them. It's usually possible to at least get the romanized titles and in this case, I really don't think that it'll be a problem, but it's a definite issue.

2. It's more expensive. I suppose if you're talking about the MSRP between the LE and SE, then it might actually be cheaper to import the CD, but if you actually get a decent deal on them - like you can at places like rightstuf - then it's definitely cheaper to buy the LE with the CD than to import it. If the CD was actually a full soundtrack with 20 - 30 songs as opposed to a single, the price gap would be even worse.

Yes, it's still possible to get soundtracks for anime when they aren't released with the DVDs, but it's always more expensive that way. Personally, I make it a point to always support releases that include soundtracks because I want them to continue to release soundtracks with the DVDs. The fact that Bandai won't be releasing the last LE certainly isn't the end of the world, but it's definitely a shame.

I would point out though (for anyone that's actually considering importing CDs) that yesasia.com is probably the best place to pick up imported soundtracks since the prices aren't much higher than you would get from places like cdjapan.co.jp or amazon.co.jp , but you get free shipping if you order $39 or more of stuff. The prices are already bad enough. Paying for international shipping on top of that can be a real killer. Anime is expensive enough as it is. Soundtracks are worse.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I mean in general.

You would be wrong. But it's not Bandai so I guess it doesn't matter.

Oh and why do you guys think that the only way you can get the CD's in america are though the LE's? You can find all the Haruhi CD's released by Bandai separately from the LE's. You can find all of the E7 LE stuff separately. Odds are you will be able to find this stuff through Right stuf or something soon enough.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
ScrappedAeon wrote:
That bums me too, especially because that remix album is one of my favorites. Although the main things are not having the matching DVD cover and not being able to display the pretty box Sad

I really don't understand why they'd do this with the final volume. I would have paid an even higher premium price for it if I had to.

I think it's because he said "Although the main things are not having the matching DVD cover and not being able to display the pretty box" which means having the CD is not the main thing.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

Wow, calling people out because they wait for an entire series to finish releasing because they like to, you know, have the entire thing at once? For Christ's sake. I'm waiting till March for the last Gurren Lagann release so I can pick the show up all at once. Some people are, you know, completists, and I'm sure some people were waiting for all the Lucky Star special eds to pick them up when they were all released.

Why the hell is it so wrong to wait for something to be released in its entirety before picking it up?

Um, I think what Cela is saying is that not buying the LEs as they came out directly affects the sales of said LE releases, which in turn contributes to Bandai's statement that the LEs aren't selling that well. So complaining about the last one not coming out when've done nothing to support the release of the earlier ones is a BS move. Waiting for singles to come out is one thing. Waiting for a boxset is another thing. But waiting for all the LEs to come out, when as we saw from Funi with Shuffle, the release of extras, artboxes and LEs are directly dependant on sales of earlier volumes, not buying the earlier ones contributed to them cancelling the final one. So someone claiming they were waiting for them all to be out before buying can only blame themselves as part of the problem. Simple... x.x
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Exactly! Thank you! <33
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
^with that said, it's still discouraging for fans to deal with when considering paying more for these LE/SE sets.
I thought these were awesome sets, one of the better ones, but maybe it'll reach to the point where both publishers and buyers will just focus on the DVDs and not the extras.
It's kind of sad, but that's the reality of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9