• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers Acquire Live-Action Death Note Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
....geeze, didn't think you'd be so passionate to send me something I could care less about reading. That page was a little too much.

You could've compressed it down a little. =/

I didn't expect you to read it all. I thought the initial introduction to the "Hollywood Homely" trope was enough.

Basically, casting beautiful people in such demonic roles is a recipe for disaster. And they will be beautiful; that was my point. While some female fans enjoy the vague Yaoi subtext between Light and L, that was not what Death Note was about. But having Ryuk and Rem as pretty twenty-somethings would be detrimental to the movie.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking it might play better as a middle-age women's chick flick:

Light: Julia Roberts
L: Whoopie Goldberg
Misa: Hugh Grant
Ryuk: Shirley McClaine
Rem: Bette Middler
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I didn't expect you to read it all. I thought the initial introduction to the "Hollywood Homely" trope was enough.

Basically, casting beautiful people in such demonic roles is a recipe for disaster. And they will be beautiful; that was my point. While some female fans enjoy the vague Yaoi subtext between Light and L, that was not what Death Note was about. But having Ryuk and Rem as pretty twenty-somethings would be detrimental to the movie.

Don't worry, I was never thinking of them being envisioned as that.

I'm definitely not one of those females who were all Yaoi obsessed with Death Note. I hated it. >_>;
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
If previous adaptions are any clue, it won't be a good look.

If I remember correctly Transformers was a hit. (Even tho it had its own original storyline)

If I remember correctly Transformers also has about a decade's worth of experience having media exposure in the United States. If not more. Though that doesn't mean I'm condemning Death Note, because it is one of my favorite shonen manga series. I do hope actually that they will be able to do something decent with it, although they shouldn't try and rush things, or else we get Death Note: Evolution.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I was wondering, instead of shinigami looking like the designs in the original manga, what if they were substituted with human looking shinigami?

No. Just drop that abysmal line of reasoning. Knowing Hollywood, they would try and cast Ryuk as a young handsome male, and Rem as an "older" (read: less than thirty) female. Why? Because generally, those who are ugly by Hollywood standards are perfectly normal (or beautiful) in reality.

I want Death Gods who look evil, not Charmed's take on the subject.

That was the personification of Death i.e. Angel of Death who tends to look more human as in that Death Takes a Holiday from the 1930's that has been re-made a few times. Death personifications often are given a human form in fantasy as opposed to Reapers because they are more often portrayed as angels, but DN's Shinigamis are in no way portrayed as angels.

Why can't they do cg shinigami? I was surprised how good Ryuk looked in the Japanese version because most of the Japanese horror I've bought have pretty sad special effects. They look no worse than the portrayal of demons or monsters in video games kids play.
The closest thing to a reason to change Ryuk is that separated at birth shot of him & Hades from Disney's Hercules but there are enough differences or Disney would have screamed by now.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Why can't they do cg shinigami? I was surprised how good Ryuk looked in the Japanese version because most of the Japanese horror I've bought have pretty sad special effects. They look no worse than the portrayal of demons or monsters in video games kids play.

I have to wonder this as well. If they didn't do it, especially after looking at the Japanese version and seeing how well it's done, then we'd be looking at a possible fail movie here. Some things you want to go CG with because it is necessary because there's no other way you can try and go for a more accurate portrayal. Especially if you were to try and go with make-up? Let's give about six hours worth of that, mind you.
kdmccaskill

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
AMERICAN

LIGHT

V.S

L

plastique

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I was thinking it might play better as a middle-age women's chick flick:

Light: Julia Roberts
L: Whoopie Goldberg
Misa: Hugh Grant
Ryuk: Shirley McClaine
Rem: Bette Middler

Misa: Hugh Grant Laughing
spoon89

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
kdmccaskill wrote:
AMERICAN

LIGHT

V.S

L

I would rly appreciate it if u dont joke like that, lol -.-

When i heard about warner bros doing this, i was freaked out, i just hope the storyline is't altered, it takes place in japan with japanese actors occupying most of the cast, and it has the shinigami's looking better and more realistic. I liked the light of the japanese adaptation though and "L" obviously Sad WARNER BROS BETTER NOT MESS THIS UP!!
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
If they use the Japanese movie plotline, which is good for a condensed story (and would save them the trouble of messing things up too horribly by messing with the plot themselves), and then improve the cg and acting it could be a pretty good movie. And if they could get Zac to play light (since he’s apparently a manga fan, he might go for it) they could rake in the money.
Pataki0021

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
"Hollywood" casting
Light - Zac Efron
L - Robert Pattinson from Twilight
Misa - Miley Cyrus

Realistic casting
Light - Zac Efron, you gotta give the guy a chance; Chace Crawford from Gossip Girl; Angus T. Jones from "2 and A Half Men" (once he gets to Kira's age and loses the baby fat)
L - Alessandro Julianni, Heath Ledger (if he were still alive, RIP) or Kenichi Matsuyama reprises him in the US version (see subtitled L movie for answers to language barrier problem)
Misa - Newcomer, sometimes it works (Hayden Christiensen) and sometimes it doesn't (Hayden Christiensen), or Hayden Panitierre from Heroes
Matsuda - Masi Oka (Heroes)
Aizawa - Seth Rogen or Paul Rudd
Light's Father - Robert Downey Jr.
Watari - Michael Caine
Ryuk - animatronic / CGI with the voice of Brian Drummond
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Pataki0021 wrote:
"Hollywood" casting
Light - Zac Efron
L - Robert Pattinson from Twilight
Misa - Miley Cyrus

Realistic casting
Light - Zac Efron, you gotta give the guy a chance; Chace Crawford from Gossip Girl; Angus T. Jones from "2 and A Half Men" (once he gets to Kira's age and loses the baby fat)
L - Alessandro Julianni, Heath Ledger (if he were still alive, RIP) or Kenichi Matsuyama reprises him in the US version (see subtitled L movie for answers to language barrier problem)
Misa - Newcomer, sometimes it works (Hayden Christiensen) and sometimes it doesn't (Hayden Christiensen), or Hayden Panitierre from Heroes
Matsuda - Masi Oka (Heroes)
Aizawa - Seth Rogen or Paul Rudd
Light's Father - Robert Downey Jr.
Watari - Michael Caine
Ryuk - animatronic / CGI with the voice of Brian Drummond

See, you scoff at Miley Cyrus as Misa... but that's some pretty great casting.

Your Aizawa casting sucks. Your Souichiro and Watari casting rock, and why do you want Canadian voice actors voicing major roles?

Paul Dano should be L (Little Miss Sunshine guy) and Johnny Depp should voice Ryuk.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be honest I've felt for a while that Death Note would be a particularly good candidate for a Hollywood remake, PROVIDED OF COUSRE IT IS DONE INTELLIGENTLY. The resumes of its producers don't exactly fill me with anticipation, but I'm willing to wait and see how things play out. It could potentially be really great, or at worst just mediocre. It will take some very sharp writing to really capture the spirit of the story, and I think that will be by far the biggest challenge for a remake. At the very least, though, unless they completely change his design Ryuk will almost certainly look better here than he did in the Japanese live-action films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
spoon89 wrote:

When i heard about warner bros doing this, i was freaked out, i just hope the storyline is't altered, it takes place in japan with japanese actors occupying most of the cast, and it has the shinigami's looking better and more realistic. I liked the light of the japanese adaptation though and "L" obviously Sad WARNER BROS BETTER NOT MESS THIS UP!!

- No it didn't, LOL. CG's in current Hollywood movies look a lot better than that. That is the reality, sorry. I don't know how you can even say "better" when there hasn't even been concept art/image of the US version. Doesn't exist yet.

- Last time I checked, the LA movie did alter the storyline in the series, too.

This makes me kinda say, I don't want another retelling of the same story when I already saw it in Japanese. If Hollywood does something different, I don't know if I'd be inclined to protest or not now.

Today's theme: "Keeping it JAPANESE."
Craigasorus

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad that Warner Brothers got the filming rights. Some people aren't giving WB enough credit where it is due. The Japanese Death Note films were funded and produced under the Warner Brothers Japan label.

WB is really good at being reverent and adding enough original content that doesn't destroy the essence of the source material that made the "Death Note" franchise so popular to begin with.

Just be happy 20th Century Fox didn't get a hold of the rights. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7