• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multiple Anime Expo Staffers Resign in Board Dispute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Azunyanko wrote:
I can directly confirm that Lattanzio did state to a Japanese representative that he met Akira Kurosawa and when the representative stated to the CEO that Kurosawa had already passed on, he changed his story to meeting Kurosawa's brother.

According to Wiki, Kurosawa's brothers had all died by 1934. Oops.

Lattanzio doesn't come off looking too good here, does he?
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
Azunyanko wrote:

Apparently right now, Lattanzio is trying to prevent a walkout by contacting the remaining assistant managers of departments without division heads and dangling the division manager job in front of them... with many of then unknowing why their division manager resigned in the first place because information flow is restricted by him.
Little late for that, isnt it? I mean, 80%. If that doesn't qualify as a walk-out... I don't know what does.

And I can confirm that they are contacting all the Managers and Asst managers. I was with my friend when he got the call. At first, they offered him the DIv head job, and when he refused, they questioned his loyalty. He hesitated to affirm his commitment to SPJA/AX, and they "let him go".

I don't know what they are planning for this year's AX, since most of the staff are leaving. And with them, the knowledge of running the con.

Lattanzio may be a brilliant professional, able to run huge multinational organizations, but without a knowledgeable support staff to carry out his plan, good luck.

I can tell you that Lattanzio is making it really difficult for me to find a reason to goto AX this year. I cannot find the will to support an organization that treats their staff in such a manner.
Azunyanko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:
Azunyanko wrote:

Apparently right now, Lattanzio is trying to prevent a walkout by contacting the remaining assistant managers of departments without division heads and dangling the division manager job in front of them... with many of then unknowing why their division manager resigned in the first place because information flow is restricted by him.
Little late for that, isnt it? I mean, 80%. If that doesn't qualify as a walk-out... I don't know what does.

And I can confirm that they are contacting all the Managers and Asst managers. I was with my friend when he got the call. At first, they offered him the DIv head job, and when he refused, they questioned his loyalty. He hesitated to affirm his commitment to SPJA/AX, and they "let him go".

I don't know what they are planning for this year's AX, since most of the staff are leaving. And with them, the knowledge of running the con.

Lattanzio may be a brilliant professional, able to run huge multinational organizations, but without a knowledgeable support staff to carry out his plan, good luck.

I can tell you that Lattanzio is making it really difficult for me to find a reason to goto AX this year. I cannot find the will to support an organization that treats their staff in such a manner.

Yes, plenty of people are being "let go" or "not invited to come back" if they answer the questions wrongly by someone calling from AX. Who would want to work for this type of organization anyway.
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
But if everyone walks, doesn't that mean that they are abandoning SPJA and AX. Wouldnt it be easier to tell Lattanzio to leave?

I know he has an employment contract, but AX operates in California, which is an AT-WILL employer. He can be fired for cause- and employing these tactics to gain control is cause for "letting him go".

As a non-profit, isnt the employment contracts supposed to be made public? Can we take a look? Cause if they found a loophole to let Chase Wang go, I am sure they can find a reason to let this idiot go.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 am Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:

I agree it sends a bad message to avail yourself of a luxury perk when your organization's facing tough times (and especially when your staff are all volunteers) but pretending it's a huge deal makes this seem like a petty, provincial complaint -- and that one incident of questionable judgement isn't worth a walkout.

I'm betting that its the straw that broke the camel's back. There's prob lots more that he can't discuss openly.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:
But if everyone walks, doesn't that mean that they are abandoning SPJA and AX. Wouldnt it be easier to tell Lattanzio to leave?

I know he has an employment contract, but AX operates in California, which is an AT-WILL employer. He can be fired for cause- and employing these tactics to gain control is cause for "letting him go".

They're separating the wheat from the chafe....

Those tactic aren't new for a private corporation. It's the "at home" calls that are "different" and prob indicates the level of urgency that the con feels they need to fill those upper level management positions.

And if you don't tow the company line publicly, most companies will ax you, especially if your workplace doesn't have a union. (Companies even have rules about talking to reporters etc.) Most employed people recognize this universal law of employment.

Keeping public relations nightmares at their jobs will prob not be in the con's interest if the board is siding with this guy so they got to leave. All of them.

If they give Lattanazio the opportunity to leave, they will have to pay him his package. We're only hearing one side of the deal which prob he did under board approval.
DrSlump

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:
As a non-profit, isnt the employment contracts supposed to be made public? Can we take a look? Cause if they found a loophole to let Chase Wang go, I am sure they can find a reason to let this idiot go.

Not every aspect of a NPO is for public viewing. This is usually just tax returns and associated documents. Like all organizations, some information is proprietary.
Azunyanko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:

We are not walking.. we are being forcibly fired through phone calls disguised as friendly conversations where we are asked whether we are attending events that managers usually will attend.. and them sometimes questions about the CEO come up. Any wrong answer means you are let go...

Rest assured, we are not abandoning Anime Expo. Many of us want to save what we helped build.
SevenMagpies

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I believe the resignations mentioned in the article were voluntary and were made after mounting tension/distrust and increasingly heated clashes with the CEO. I think many of the people who left have the hope that these resignations will put unavoidable pressure on the Board to remove Lattanzio. The phone calls to the remaining managers/staff are something different.
Azunyanko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
SevenMagpies wrote:
I believe the resignations mentioned in the article were voluntary and were made after mounting tension/distrust and increasingly heated clashes with the CEO. I think many of the people who left have the hope that these resignations will put unavoidable pressure on the Board to remove Lattanzio. The phone calls to the remaining managers/staff are something different.

Can confirm this directly... the phone calls are so shameful tactics.
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Azunyanko wrote:
SevenMagpies wrote:

Can confirm this directly... the phone calls are so shameful tactics.
I can confirm that they are calling EVERYONE to gauge loyalty.

I was there when My friend got the call and here's how it went (paraphrased):
1-Can I have the roster and contact phone numbers to your staff
2-What is your loyalty to Lattanzio and the new direction
3-We will not be needing your services in the coming year's convention. Thank you for all your hard work and service
4-Hello. Your manager just resigned. Would you like his/her position?
5-Do you know anyone else who would?
6-What is your loyalty to Lattanzio and the new direction?
StoneBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
o__o crap now I wished I said Yes just so I could have experienced this interrogation. I knew I was gonna be asked to replace my manager so I refused outright o_O but dang that is messed up.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Lattanzio, seriously, if you or your people are reading this, I think it's time you take a step back and look at what's happening here. I know you're pressured to raise the attendance of this convention, I know you have perks with your job or whatever, but you need to look at your target audience. They aren't happy. You need to fix this now, fix it fast and move on. Anime-Expo is a great convention, it's fun and family friendly (usually). You cannot expect to be hitting Comic-Con numbers ever, especially with zero industry representation in the dealer hall and falling interest because of lack of good support from other outlets. Anime-Expo has a rise in attendance this year, maybe it was small, but you also didn't have any big name company in your exhibit hall (ie. BanDai, Funimation, Viz, etc... get where I'm going at here?). It seems like these companies feel that AX is second tier to the San Diego Comic-Con, maybe more, which Viz and TokyoPOP did have booths at. Airing all of this bad noise publicly and even getting loads of your volunteer staff to walk out on your show will not entice these companies, in fact, it might actually close that door for you. Please, also take in mind, that with a falling in attendance, chances are, your dealers might also call it quits on your convention. AX is at the LA Convention Center, Union run. Your booths cost a premium AND, on top of that UNION FEES! This fact has already scared off some of your dealers into not even selling at your con. Now, let's look at this... no dealers, no industry... what's left in your exhibit hall? NOTHING! Why even have a con now? This is basically just a huge meet and greet with little sprinkles of anime viewings in rooms, maybe a signing or two... but by the sound of it, highly unlikely. So, please, look at this and ask yourself, "Am I doing the right thing? Do I actually care about the attendees and participants of this even? Am I actually doing this con good?" I think maybe you should actually go to some of these conventions and do some research a bit. Go to Comic-Con and walk through the hall, Fanime and speak with the fans, PMX and watch some concerts. I see AX deteriorating, and I don't like it. Fix it.
mbanu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
combatmedic wrote:
As a now former member of the Staff of AX who worked directly under one of the mangers who stepped down, I feel I should say a little something.

I worked AX for 5 years, and every one of my friends had worked the convention for even longer. Our manager is also a personal friend. A number of us even lived with the guy for a while. [. . .] Over the years I had lost interest in anime in general, but still worked on staff because I am loyal to my group, and had fun working the con every year.

Now Im not going to try and pretend that I know all the details of the upper level power struggle, thats something that really does not concern or interest us lower staff members. But knowing the effects of whatever the board had on our friend and manager is enough for us to follow him away from our once beloved annual tradition.

If this is the typical structure of the con, (staffing by folks who aren't actually passionate about anime and what the con can do to help support it, but simply as a favor to key managers) it seems like the entire event could be crippled by a minor disagreement if the right people were involved. :/ Even ignoring the new CEO, this issue would have needed reform eventually.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
If this is the typical structure of the con, (staffing by folks who aren't actually passionate about anime and what the con can do to help support it, but simply as a favor to key managers) it seems like the entire event could be crippled by a minor disagreement if the right people were involved. :/ Even ignoring the new CEO, this issue would have needed reform eventually.

Why, aren't you special, mr registered three days ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8