• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Liam King

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingakuzutto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
gateway drug anime? How about Slayers Revolution? Although it is a sequel to a series from the 90s. Actually I have no idea of which recent anime I could introduce to a friend unless its from the 90s. I'm going to watch some early 00s and 90s anime.
wayintothe7thart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
I noted that all the recommendation so far is kid, crazy action, and Speculative fiction type of works. I think almost all are good choices, but not everyone will go for those genres and as Mr. Bertschy point out "after FMA, after Death Note, what next?". See I think are a lot of good anime to get people in or after the intro pick. For example if you want more realize action watch Sword of Stranger, if you want Adult Swim comedy watch Astro Fighter Sunrise, and if you just want a good drama watch Ristorante Paradiso (shout out to AWO). The problems is not the lack good intro anime, but the lack of knowing about it.
Dblitzer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Well, "gateway" anime might be rare in the sense that a broad enough title that appeals to EVERYONE might be hard to find, but if you are trying to convert people to anime, unless you know nothing about the person in quastion, you might be able to find something that appeals to each persons individual tastes and go from there.

And I wholeheartedly agree that more anime needs to be on TV, if nothing else so that it can reach more audiences, to help increase fandom on a national level. Which is always a good thing.

i think you hit the nail dead on twice!
you know recently i introduced a pretty much first time Anime viewer to The Melancholy of Haruhi suzumiya, i knew i couldn't rely on something like Death Note (his little brother reads the manga, and he hates it) and anytime before this when we would talk anime he would mostly complain about some of the other anime stuff he's seen that he didn't like (mostly things that had been on TV). I also know he's a big Star Trek fan, particularly of more of the comedy sci-fi stuff in the show and i knew the techno babble of Nagato would feel right at home.

He is a fan of the show now, the point is that it's far more about finding out what the person you're showing anime to likes and doesn't like, you can't just throw a random show at a person and hope it just sticks.

And with regards to TV, no matter how accessible you make it on the internet you will never bring in the fans or revenue like television will
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
There's a few reasons I can see for the drop in anime downloads.
- It's not so new. A few years ago anime Fansubs on the Internet were a relatively new thing to people. And they downloaded everything, including shows they expected to watch later. Now people are more inclined to just download shows they feel they're actually going to watch.

- Saturation. There's just so much of it out there now that it can take a while to absorb it all. And in the process they just don't feel the need to acquire more.

- Ease of access. Streaming video seems to be the way things are going and many fans are switching to that over downloads.

- Lawsuit fears. Although those downloading fansubs are relatively safe from lawsuits, there's still a fear that illegal downloads could get one into trouble. And the restructuring of Mininova plus lawsuits against that site and The Pirate Bay didn't help.

- No good new anime. Much of the anime downloaded in the past wasn't just new anime but older anime. And much of that stuff were shows that appealed to NA audiences. Now most of the stuff coming out isn't worth downloading.

- An aging fanbase. To me it seems the vast majority of anime fans are those who saw it on TV, starting back with the stuff from the 1980s. While there are many new fans, I think the biggest block may be those who saw it as kids in the 80s and 90s and like it today as adults. Those who were kids during the 70s never got into anime because it wasn't on TV then. Kids today aren't seeing much anime on TV and those that are don't feel any need to collect since "it's always going to be available for free on the Internet."

It seems somebody had the exact same thought on this topic as me.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Catching up on this 'cast and the most recent one today... just popped in to say something about introducting new people to stuff.

A guy in hits 50s at work last year and I got on the topic of anime at one point and when he mentioned he'd seen a Miyazaki film or two but never really watched any other anime, I offered to let him borrow some DVDs; he took me up on the offer, so I lent him Cowboy Bebob first after telling him about a few options I could present from my small collection. He loved it, so I just brought a couple bags full of box sets and gave him brief rundowns of different stuff. He picked Haibane Renmei and Outlaw Star to borrow next and he really liked those, too. He doesn't work here any more so I haven't lent him anything else, but, yeah, it's interesting to note he didn't go for anything newer (partially the result of my urging, though).

But I really think it depends on the person. When I'm recommending shows/movies to someone one-on-one, it varies a lot based on the person, so something that might be seen as "gateway" on a large scale for the States might not be something I'd use to get a friend started.
vitaamin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
lol reborn is popular because of FANGIRLS. its a good anime if you care about the characters and i found that the dialogue is much better written than most shounen shows.

BUT i am a fangirl, and thats why i like this show. =] (you should see the manga and then perhaps you can understand the massive amounts of yaoi doujinishi)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6