• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Madoka and Kou? Yeah, I hated them, and am glad they're leaving. Although they seem like they've learned their lesson and probably wouldn't be quite so insufferable anymore, and having Takuto and company knowing the identity of a Glittering Crux member could have made for an interesting change of pace.

I think the biggest problem this series has is that the drama doesn't really stretch across the episodes. Most of the problems are either resolved by the time Tauburn thrashes whichever Cybody challenges him that week, or are just kind of left lingering in the background. There's a distinct lack of urgency.

I've really grown to like Kanako over the course of the series. I think her and Keito are my two favorite characters.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I think the biggest problem this series has is that the drama doesn't really stretch across the episodes. Most of the problems are either resolved by the time Tauburn thrashes whichever Cybody challenges him that week, or are just kind of left lingering in the background. There's a distinct lack of urgency.

Agreed. I can't really tell where this is going. There's only 4 episodes left, and this does not feel as if it's approaching a climax.
I'd say that part of that is the ambiguity of what the Bad Thing is that will happen if all the seals are released, but Utena managed to never really define "the power to revolutionize the world" until the very end, and even there it was ambiguous.

I think part of the problem is the sprawl of the cast. There are 22 Cybodies with their respective drivers, plus nearly a dozen other minor characters, and the series can't seem to decide on who it wants to be have the focus. Again, going back to Utena, it too had an ensemble cast and sometimes spent very little time with its lead (particularly during the Black Rose arc), but it had only about 20 characters total, even if you include the relatively minor ones. It had a central core of only about 10. Star Driver lacks that core, and it's trying to give everybody some sort of back story and failing at it due to time.

When the series is just being silly fun it's probably at its best, but when it tries to take a serious turn, the results become more of a crap shoot. I still love the visuals and I'm not going to give up on it, but it's been something of a disappointment given the promise of its staff and the stunning first couple of episodes.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Now this is getting hot. Wonder if there will be a second season, because from now on it's pure awesomeness.
Been mood void for the past days, but this definitely makes me want to shine fabulously!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was very cool. I thought I would get tired of the episode's particular conceit, but I never did. It also snapped some things into place for me. I agree with egoist (*coughs up furball upon writing that*) - it's hard to imagine this wrapping up in only three episodes. It needs another season!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Again, one of my continuing problems with this series is that I can't help but compare it to Revolutionary Girl Utena, not just because of the staff behind it but because of episodes like this, which directly mimic ones from that series. It's the shadow puppet theater all over again, only it didn't give me the same unnerving "aha!" feeling as that episode, just more of "okay, that's a new twist, how are they going to resolve all this????" I'm hoping for a resounding finale, but...

Also, be very careful when you cast a pop idol to be a voice actress. The singer playing Hana wasn't as bad as, say, the girls who did Ice, and I think with some work she could be very good, but she was noticeably wooden compared to the other actors.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't know about you guys but I was really stoked by this episode and it's Utena-style, "Let's reveal background info using a stage-play" scene.

It's actually making a lot of things click into place, especially when you consider the idea that "cybodies=ships". The story of Sam the Squid-Slayer suddenly makes a bit more sense.

I suppose "spilling the blood of the one you love to get the galactic ship to move" can also be read as "breaking the seals of the Maidens to get Cybodies to move outside of Zero time".

Maybe Sam the Squid-Slayer is sort of like a previous "cycle" of what's happening on the show, only it happend on another world?

Maybe the true purpose of the Cybodies is to act as inter-galactic space-ships, hence the use of the word "Departure" that Glittering Crux is trying to achieve.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Wait a second, spoiler[Did the Vice-Pres speak during the play?] That's who that was, right? Double checking. spoiler[Yeah, twice, once in unison with the club president, on the "you can fly the ship" line, and then alone, on the "do you wield a knife" line.]

Hmm, so spoiler[the Pres and Vice-Pres both are aware of what's going on, but they don't intervene. Did Takuto pick up on that when the Pres went off script? He noticed something, at least.]

Finally, a little surprised that spoiler[Sugata hadn't been certain Keito was the East Maiden all this time, given how close they'd been as children, and that Tiger and Jaguar clearly knew (but were apparently hiding it from him).]
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
Oh, hey, I just remembered. Star Drivers become one with their Cybodies in 4th Phase...that means either Wako or Keito will probably be killed when the last seal is broken, so yeah, someones "blood will need to be spilled".
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I suppose "spilling the blood of the one you love to get the galactic ship to move" can also be read as "breaking the seals of the Maidens to get Cybodies to move outside of Zero time".

Or it could mean that he's been abandoning his loved ones for it (which in fact reflects the play a lot more). I recall him thinking that if he succeeded he spoiler[could bring back the old times.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Oh, hey, I just remembered. Star Drivers become one with their Cybodies in 4th Phase...that means either Wako or Keito will probably be killed when the last seal is broken, so yeah, someones "blood will need to be spilled".

I don't think breaking the seals involved destroying the Maiden Cybodies.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

I don't think breaking the seals involved destroying the Maiden Cybodies.

I'm pretty sure it does. In fact I'm it looks like the things in the middle of the big glowing crest during Zero Time are the MaidenCybodies, and probably are the actual seals.

I believe Reiji destroyed Mizuno's Cybody in order to break her seal. I believe she was even shown piloting it when she "awakened" just before it was blown up, if very briefly. Maybe I should watch the scene again.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Holy spoiler["Didn't See that one coming"] Batman! Very nice. Now the big question is -spoiler[ has Sugata truly gone over to the dark side or is he a double agent? I suspect that Madame Prez is a double agent and the two of them have cooked something up to give Glittering Crux a hard time.]

Anyway, it's getting harder to imagine the story will truly be wrapped up in a mere two episodes. I'm guessing we are watching season 1 of what will be a longer series. Please let us know if this has already been confirmed elsewhere.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Holy spoiler["Didn't See that one coming"] Batman! Very nice. Now the big question is -spoiler[ has Sugata truly gone over to the dark side or is he a double agent? I suspect that Madame Prez is a double agent and the two of them have cooked something up to give Glittering Crux a hard time.]

Anyway, it's getting harder to imagine the story will truly be wrapped up in a mere two episodes. I'm guessing we are watching season 1 of what will be a longer series. Please let us know if this has already been confirmed elsewhere.

The Blu Ray's and DVD's are selling great, plus the show and characters(particularly Takuto) seem to be catching on in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if a Season 2 announcement was made.

This weeks episode was very enjoyable though. I cracked a smile whenspoiler[Takuto punched out Head out of the blue like that] but we all know he had it coming. It was also nice to get a confirmation that Takuto has INDEED been training as a Star Driver for years which would justify all those times he pulled new moves out of nowhere as actually playing smart since there's no need to show his enemies everything he can do.

I was sort of suprised that spoiler[Sugata was the real hero of the episode but his joining the Crux was a bit unexpected though he's clearly planning something.
]

Looking forward to the finale! Very Happy
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't surprised.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
....and Wako may have just made her romantic choice in Takuto's favor, which I guess makes sense- they hinted early on spoiler[that Sugata was being charmed by Reiji and may be tempted to work with the Glittering Crux, and if he feels he's lost Wako- that might push him over- setting up the final showdown].

spoiler[Whether he's really gone over is still a good mystery but in an obvious example of foreshadowing Reiji asked Sugata to join the Crux ages ago.]
spoiler[
I think Ryuji's reaction to learning about East Maiden's actions, doing whatever she was doing, is the key here. I think he may be coming to to accept her feelings for him and the date with Wako was to test himself about how he really felt about Wako.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
@ Spastic Minnow - good eye, I must have missed your original post. You could be right about spoiler[Sugata being influenced by the fear of losing Wako, but quite frankly I never got the impression he was all that into her notwithstanding their, uh, "engagement." I would be very surprised if Sugata truly is working for Glittering Crux. I think he is either a double agent, or has figured out that for Takuto to "fulfil his destiny" or whatever, the two have to fight.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8