• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sues Animeland Staff Over Counterfeit Items

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverSilence

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
addiemon wrote:
Would it change your stance if you knew that in the U.S., trademarks-- unlike copyrights --must be defended in order to be maintained? The strength of a trademark in court relies on its being distinct in its market; if a company allows that trademark to be used commonly/generically then that trademark can become "generic" and legally usable by others.

I have nothing against FUNimation and don't have a problem with their suit, but your trademark sidebar is totally IRRELEVANT. Trademarks ARE a totally different ball of wax and have nothing to do with THIS particular case/discussion. To quote the article:
Quote:
North American anime distributor Funimation filed a lawsuit against Miller Isaiah Timmons and 10 unnamed "John Does" associated with his businesses on February 28 for alleged copyright infringement.

edit:
Green Mustard Ent. is apparently arguing about trademark, but that's related to the con name and has absolutely nothing to do with the merchandise discussion. Random anime merchandise is not "trademarked", heck except possibly in rare circumstances, full anime titles/characters/etc. aren't "trademarked".

FINALLY, someone who sees this just as stupid and rideculous as I do. Truth is Timmons and the vendors on are the ones being sued, that's right.

The sidebar on the name, as long as Animeland is in front of Wasabi, truthfully, Wasabi con in Florida really has no legal ground to stand on. In fact, I never HEARD of Wasabi Con until around 2009 when they raised the stink in the first place.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
SilverSilence wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:
We could have more then one, if the right leadership took and did it. It is not easy though, beelzebozo can tell you that, as he was a founding member of NDK before he left to open his own anime store.

I am hopeful that Andrea is a good leader for Animeland Wasabi. I'm hopeful for that...Andrea has taken Animeland over and has pushed out Think Art Media and has come up with a better options. She has no tolerance for ANY bootlegging at the conventions she runs.

Last few conventions Timmons has been asked to leave, which he had to, most staff at the convention hate the guy. I know for a fact that if given the option and asked to join staff for Animeland, I would do it in a heart beat and help them clean everything up.

As a vendor, I'd be happy to see 2 anime conventions in Denver, and would love to see well run ones to boot. Though it might be better if someone started one in the Springs or Pueblo or Ft. Collins or Grand Junction. Denver's getting a little oversaturated between 2 board gaming conventions, 2 anime cons, a comic con, a multimedia sci-fi con, a literary sci-fi con, a pirate/fantasy con, a steampunk con and an occasional video gaming event. But something other than having to drive out of state would be nice. Everything else is about 6 hours away, be it Albuquerque, Salt Lake City or Grand Rapids, SD.

Anyway, I wonder who among the Animeland staff are going to be the John Does along with Timmons? Is it going to be just the out-of-town Animeland staff or are they going after anyone of the local Denver staff, too?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hell Colorado would be better off if Cp;pradp Springs did gets some cons.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to resurrect this, but there seems to be new stuff on this. If you go to Animeland Wasabi's site, you get this page (which they couldn't even be bothered to name the HTML page of, so it displays as "untitled document").

Also linked on that page (under the highly-inappropriate smilie face), there is this screenshot, apparently from their forums(?). I can't seem to find any way to access their forums, but the blatant attacking of a user (who seems to only have the info from their site available to them) for trying to sift through facts seems highly inappropriate for the administrator of the forum (obviously, we have no way of knowing the admin's role for the convention).

The screenshot is followed by a gallery of more forum screenshots. (Given the final one, I'm led to believe that this is actually the user rikame's images, not ALW's, and since it hurts them, I'm not sure why they linked it).

BTW, got a (rough) translation of the German attack from my roommate:
Quote:
Are you a teacher now? Can you really say that you have never used bad grammar or punctuation? No, then you aren't perfect as perfection is impossible to achieve. But have fun assembling your SS uniform for the start of next week. Be sure to post pictures!

She also notes that the rudeness of the informality level of the grammar is somewhat similar to a Japanese person calling someone they don't know well without an honorific ("Sie" is for when you don't know someone, "Du" is informal when you do, and he goes back and forth).
Jinnie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
"ThatGuyinTheHat" is Beau Dufrene, ALW's "head of Press and Media". Here's his profile on NDK's forums, which references his press outlet "Koku Gamer" (name now changed to Broken Analog. Note Beau's name listed as CEO).

You have to be a registered member of Wasabi's forums to see General Discussion now, which changed during that crazy day of posts. To top it off, Mr. Dufrene registered an entirely different username and claims to have just joined the forums for the day, essentially saying his "ThatGuyinTheHat" account, with its libelous posts, was never him.

This thing is sure never boring, ay?

Edit: Mr. Dufrene is now claiming someone else asked him to use that name on Animeland's forums. However, there are posts from the forums which refer to him by his actual name and he replied to. You be the judge, I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6