• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan episodes 1-5 (English Dub)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

spoiler[Annie] considered by the fans along with friends of mine are amused with her on just being a bitch.

Spoiler tag added by me. I'd spoiler tag that mention of spoiler[Annie]. Without it, you're basically spoiling the second arc's big twist. ^^;
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii:
Well since you asked so nicely, I edited it Anime smile
BlueBitterCoffee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I've seen the trailers before and thought it was okay for the voices. It's nice to see an improvement for the animation visuals although I thought Production IG did a pretty good job already. I kinda prefer the Japanese opening for the first episode.

wait does that mean the opening is dubbed?!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
^
Isn't he talking about the "Humanity received a grim reminder" line?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Thats mostly what a, "anyones visions of a show should have been." is. Something different from the mentioned material. The survivor story overtime becomes boring. Over and over again they fail with the only success in one episode in the second half with incredibley slow pacing. Sure, I want the characters to be endangered and losing. Like the impending odds in Saving Private Ryan. But this takes it the wrong way.

Gods, even if we consider the whole animated series (and not just the first five episodes) the story so far is nowhere near long enough to get to that point. Yes, it absolutely drags in the second half - in fact, I'm on record as that being one of my main criticisms of the show - but that's because of how the production team decided to stretch it out, not because the survivor story was getting tiresome. I thought the story was cooking along just fine at the end.

Quote:
I bet you wrong though. People were hooked since the first epsiode, already on the leash of the author. So they would be okay with whatever they dish out to the audience. Even if it had a lower fanbase. IMO, my changes would at least give this show the inspiration and heart that other shonnen shows have but with a different twist on the plot.

Which would make it just like any other uninspired shonen adventure show. Why would I want just another uninspired shonen show?

What you are, I think, grossly underestimating here, bs3311, is that this show, as written, is essentially a zombie apocalypse show, only with giant-sized zombies. Those kind of shows are immensely popular in the West, and that's one of the main reasons why I'm convinced that this will be a big hit as is.

Quote:
I apalogize if I sound like a snob, but with all the action of what little there is are inside the walls. Yet the only time they are outside is rendered with slow pacing yet the characters still being stale.

So what? That's where the focus of the story should be in the first half: inside the walls. By insisting on the characters spending most of their time out adventuring, you're ignoring all of the story possibilities within the walls; for instance, the politics and religious elements that seem to be going on are only touched upon here in a few places. And yes, the second half has pacing issues, as I've already said.

Quote:
Plus, your ending sentence on your first paragraph addressing me seemed offensive.

So you feel offended by being called out on something you were clearly doing wrong? Okay, sure.

Quote:
Is the audience supposed to feel uncertainty that the enemies view of attacking them inside the walls as a counter to what humans inside the city did to be sympathectic and that they should reconsider what humanity inside the walls did before the wall was built? Unless this is From the New World, Berserk, or even Majestic Prince. Then IMO no. We viewed the side of the problem humans are facing for so long, that pulling a sympathetic antagonist is way too late in the game given the amount of supposed, "emmotional fuel." this show is pumping.

This and concerning the quotes that follow: Boy, if that's how you are interpreting what I'm talking about and what the show is doing then it's no wonder that you don't like it as it. What's been animated so far does not provide us enough information to support most of those suppositions. That is especially evident in your last point about the spoiler[titans possibly being biological weapons]. We don't have enough information yet to conclude if the story is going in that direction or not.

Quote:
The general audience IMO, is going to hear it as a bunch of asians yelling, though understand what I typed is a racist statement. But its so far the generic stereotype for the public in the good ol USA of music not with english autotunes or bang rape with drug sex screaming, "baby, ooooohhhhhhhhRight."

Sorry, but WTF are you talking about here?

What I see in the OP are character flying around in Spider Man-like maneuvers, dramatically attacking giants with fantastically intense music backing it. Besides, what does the song not being in English have to do with anything? You are aware that there is a long tradition in the U.S. of songs which are sung mostly or entirely in a non-English language being highly successful (even chart-toppers), right?

And by the way, your comments there are more than bordering on being prejudicial in a number of ways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
clawfinger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the dub very much.
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Key): What you are, I think, grossly underestimating here, bs3311, is that this show, as written, is essentially a zombie apocalypse show, only with giant-sized zombies. Those kind of shows are immensely popular in the West, and that's one of the main reasons why I'm convinced that this will be a big hit as is.

Indeed, I had a hard time with the first few episodes because this is EXACTLY how this series read to me at first, and I am *NOT* one of the fans of the Zombie, and especially not of the Zombie apocalypse revolution in Western/NA entertainment these days, it is just not my thing at all. Which I might add also underscores the fallacy in thinking that one gets hooked by the first episode(s) as the person being replied to in the above quote also stated at one point. I also agree with Key that it is because of how popular Zombie stuff is these days in American entertainment that gives AoT the chance to break out of the anime community into the wider audience, and that this is something which should not be overlooked at all, and would have been far less likely if the story had been written more like bs3311 would have preferred.

Quote:
(bs3311): Is the audience supposed to feel uncertainty that the enemies view of attacking them inside the walls as a counter to what humans inside the city did to be sympathectic and that they should reconsider what humanity inside the walls did before the wall was built? Unless this is From the New World, Berserk, or even Majestic Prince. Then IMO no. We viewed the side of the problem humans are facing for so long, that pulling a sympathetic antagonist is way too late in the game given the amount of supposed, "emmotional fuel." this show is pumping.

Quote:
(Key): This and concerning the quotes that follow: Boy, if that's how you are interpreting what I'm talking about and what the show is doing then it's no wonder that you don't like it as it. What's been animated so far does not provide us enough information to support most of those suppositions. That is especially evident in your last point about the spoiler[titans possibly being biological weapons]. We don't have enough information yet to conclude if the story is going in that direction or not.

I have to agree with Key here, while I also have been assuming ssince the first few episodes thatspoiler[ the Titans are the remnants of a bioweapons program,] that is something I have done based on my own beliefs, not because the series has given me anywhere near enough to actually treat it as a probability/actuality within the storyline itself. So I am ready to let that go as soon as the authour gives me reason to do so, because I know it is not supported to date by the material the authour has provided. You bs3311 seem to be comfortable leaping to all kinds of conclusions well before there is sufficient basis for making them, or even treating things as probable outcomes/realities/theories way too soon instead of allowing the authour to, like, you know, actually start telling us for themselves what they have intended. I also find myself in strong agreement with Key regarding how the series as you would have preferred it would have been far more generic and less interesting than what we got because of what it focused on, your issues with the brutality of the world and the hard core focus on the survivor aspects instead of being all about actiony adventury would have made me drop this by the halfway mark if I lasted that long, instead the series managed to hold me despite what for me is is a core element I find rather hard to take, specifically that similarity to Zombie storyline writ large that the Titans come off as.

Quote:
(bs3311): The general audience IMO, is going to hear it as a bunch of asians yelling, though understand what I typed is a racist statement. But its so far the generic stereotype for the public in the good ol USA of music not with english autotunes or bang rape with drug sex screaming, "baby, ooooohhhhhhhhRight."

Quote:
(Key): Sorry, but WTF are you talking about here?

What I see in the OP are character flying around in Spider Man-like maneuvers, dramatically attacking giants with fantastically intense music backing it. Besides, what does the song not being in English have to do with anything? You are aware that there is a long tradition in the U.S. of songs which are sung mostly or entirely in a non-English language being highly successful (even chart-toppers), right?

And by the way, your comments there are more than bordering on being prejudicial in a number of ways.

And now we get to the final reason I am leaving this comment in the first place, because I am in complete and total agreement with Key here. WTF are you talking about?!? That did come off as being shall we say rather full of prejudicial concepts about Americans, it also completely misses the reality that Key points out to about how many songs with little to no English have done very well on American music charts and even become massive crazes in American culture beyond just the narrow basis/niche that music form originated out from. Indeed more than a few of them over the decades became not just chart toppers as Key notes but even cultural icons, so youir assumptions about how the OP will be seen by Americans comes off at the very least as incredibly uninformed as to the reality. I will close this by noting I myself am not an American, just one of their neighbours, and I don't kid myself about their culture's negatives, anymore than I do any others that I know of, since by nature all human cultures have their flaws. I at least though try to make sure that the flaws I believe I see have some basis rooted in reality, and not whatever fantasy your seeing.

Key:

Sorry if I messed up the multi-quoting, I was trying to prune things down to the relevant portions only for what I wanted to say. I had in fact been debating about replying to that person before you chose to do so, and much of what you said was what I was thinking so I initially left it alone, but the reply kind of left me feeling the need to underscore the points I mentioned above. Sorry for sticking my nose into it, I hope you don't mind, and I do not plan on doing this sort of thing often, but I have to say I found the things this person had to say first baffling and arrogant/presumptuous and then got worse from there, as you noted in the end of your comment that I've quoted.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
key wrote:
I'm on record as that being one of my main criticisms of the show - but that's because of how the production team decided to stretch it out, not because the survivor story was getting tiresome. I thought the story was cooking along just fine at the end.

Then this anime is above all IMO, worse then the original material. The ending was cooking up for another season, spoiler[and I literally had to rest my eyes from hearing and seeing, how the concept of the titans in the walls which were mentioned and detailed much more in the manga compared to the season finale which felt more energetic and comedic instead of instant shock value.].

Quote:
Which would make it just like any other uninspired shonen adventure show. Why would I want just another uninspired shonen show?

Oh really? Would'nt my concept have to have started from watching other shows though, ala; inspiration? Like One Piece, FMAB, From the New World, Berserk, Slayers, Guin Saga, etc. AoT is inspired but with lack there off of being unique in an overall medium IMO. In an anime, yes. Others, no. Why would you want to just watch another shonen show pulling heart strings instead of a show with logic and strong character development while pulling heart strings?

Quote:
What you are, I think, grossly underestimating here, bs3311, is that this show, as written, is essentially a zombie apocalypse show, only with giant-sized zombies. Those kind of shows are immensely popular in the West, and that's one of the main reasons why I'm convinced that this will be a big hit as is.

I'm grossly underestimating? That is what I viewed this show to be involving similarites to both generes during the regular airing. Overall, it was half in half. But with zombie shows, we know indeffinently who the antagonists are. The zombie's, and sometimes mankind itself. spoiler[But no over the top zombie shows have the view of an organization controlling the mobs of zombies by transforming as a zombie to call to other zombies. And with how this show is going, we are probably going to get a melted drama about the titan shifters in the past. maybe even viewing humans trying to survive against these monsters as the bad guys. Overall IMO the show started out with the concepts of zombie titans. But it turned that around with the end of the first half]. The zombie genre is mostly fun and exhilirating with emotions, not a wannabe Game of Thrones IMO.

Quote:
So what? That's where the focus of the story should be in the first half: inside the walls. By insisting on the characters spending most of their time out adventuring, you're ignoring all of the story possibilities within the walls; for instance, the politics and religious elements that seem to be going on are only touched upon here in a few places. And yes, the second half has pacing issues, as I've already said.

Where does my view say that I would be ignoring all of the story possibilities within the walls?

I've pointed out that they would return to the walls to view there reports and findings after surveying the landscape and titans, which can also give time on events inside the walls.

The story invests its time WAY to much inside the walls. The politics and religious elements are washed out. Its been done before, even with the Holy Seel in Berserk, and even I find that to be annoying. Plus with an apocalyptic series, people can expect that there is at least some divide within the community.

Quote:
So you feel offended by being called out on something you were clearly doing wrong? Okay, sure.

I can ask that very same question to you.

I'm just freely speaking my mind just like any user such as yourself, giving possablities of what this show could have turned out to be which is IMO a possitive light in what it could have become. While also admiting I did go to far with a comment against Dtm42. You can freely disagree with me as long as you like on this topic. I'm not shoving it down anybodies throats.

But you are giving the notion that my view would not even reach or shatter the popularity this show has recieved. When overall, the public cannot care about the quality of anything as long at is entertaining for them. Meaning that there view of qualtiy is subjective for it to equals ones desire for entertainment. So now my idea of adding world building to an already plausible setting in a show that trounces any sense of world building yet is already hooked on the viewers is now not with any look of mass appeal to be entertaining?

Quote:
This and concerning the quotes that follow: Boy, if that's how you are interpreting what I'm talking about and what the show is doing then it's no wonder that you don't like it as it. What's been animated so far does not provide us enough information to support most of those suppositions. That is especially evident in your last point about the spoiler[titans possibly being biological weapons]. We don't have enough information yet to conclude if the story is going in that direction or not.

I'm just speculating, something that this series is kind of asking every fan to do while the author is supposedly shaking keys in the audience faces while dragging out the plot with little to no hope of seeing whats under the basement. spoiler[And with how Annie's titan flashback is explored, it seems to be leading to a sympathetic notion of the villians IMO.].

Quote:

This is an, "anime" though with a, "japanese" opening. Both of those words lead to several negative conclusions if they are no fans like us when watching this show for the first time. And with viewing the mass media and general public in mind. There reaction IMO is going to be like, "Oh, another crazy hentai japanese cartoon.", "This does have some cool action, but those female characters are looking a bit sexual to be taken seriously.", "What stupid language is this, speak english!", "I would like to watch more, but I have to much work to do. Besides, its nothing groundbreaking like Lost or Game of Thrones. Its just a cartoon."

How am I going beyond or even near prejudicial when I have already given more than enough reasoning for my view? It has not causing anyone harm. With neither regarding to any group? And I have not called anyone in the audience of fanbase of this show with negative words. And the simplications are possablities, not from what you seem to assume as facts in my way of thinking. I'm Just giving example of peoples likes and dislikes that can concern for the majority of the public. I may be wrong, but regarding your view; I can only be wrong, and that is what I disagree with involving your points. Besides, I can enjoy this show as I stated in previous comments. Critically, I cannot.

Bluenoser wrote:
You bs3311 seem to be comfortable leaping to all kinds of conclusions well before there is sufficient basis for making them, or even treating things as probable outcomes/realities/theories way too soon instead of allowing the authour to, like, you know, actually start telling us for themselves what they have intended.

But when the sufficient basis for the material is met while being indifferent to my points, I can jump back to the previous mentality beforehand. AoT is one of the few that I can't change back too. I was viewing this as a regular show before whatching it and during, with suspected possabilities on how this could be a unique shonen. Until those espisodes, it became IMO a generic shonnen.

Quote:
That did come off as being shall we say rather full of prejudicial concepts about Americans, it also completely misses the reality that Key points out to about how many songs with little to no English have done very well on American music charts and even become massive crazes in American culture beyond just the narrow basis/niche that music form originated out from. Indeed more than a few of them over the decades became not just chart toppers as Key notes but even cultural icons, so youir assumptions about how the OP will be seen by Americans comes off at the very least as incredibly uninformed as to the reality. I will close this by noting I myself am not an American, just one of their neighbours, and I don't kid myself about their culture's negatives, anymore than I do any others that I know of, since by nature all human cultures have their flaws. I at least though try to make sure that the flaws I believe I see have some basis rooted in reality, and not whatever fantasy your seeing.

As an american accepting flaws in my general culture along with speaking my experience in the general publics views of other cutlures, were you live does not concern me for that this is the internet. Where you and I along with everyone are, "nearly" one.

This topic I was speaking about is in a show from a general japanese medium. With that, from key's post on the oppening which I find to be kickass to revolves around japanese culture ala; music. What japanese songs have skyrocketed or even stayed around in the American music charts in this recent generation? For the general public I mean, like gangnam style. My assumptions are views from my experience or reactions from seeing the american public on there view on or against anime or japanese culture of any kind.

Do both of you mean to say that none of you got scolded or even bullied around like most anime fans have from people that see this medium as a, "errotic", "stupid", "gay", or "retarded" hobby? To each his/her own experience, but nearly every forum or blog I see. There are alot with backstory on being bullied while in the fandom.

Quote:
Sorry if I messed up the multi-quoting, I was trying to prune things down to the relevant portions only for what I wanted to say. I had in fact been debating about replying to that person before you chose to do so, and much of what you said was what I was thinking so I initially left it alone, but the reply kind of left me feeling the need to underscore the points I mentioned above. Sorry for sticking my nose into it, I hope you don't mind, and I do not plan on doing this sort of thing often, but I have to say I found the things this person had to say first baffling and arrogant/presumptuous and then got worse from there, as you noted in the end of your comment that I've quoted.

At least your being sincere, and I'm okay with that. Great courage though to speak your mind out. Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

This is an, "anime" though with a, "japanese" opening. Both of those words lead to several negative conclusions if they are no fans like us when watching this show for the first time. And with viewing the mass media and general public in mind. There reaction IMO is going to be like, "Oh, another crazy hentai japanese cartoon.", "This does have some cool action, but those female characters are looking a bit sexual to be taken seriously.", "What stupid language is this, speak english!", "I would like to watch more, but I have to much work to do. Besides, its nothing groundbreaking like Lost or Game of Thrones. Its just a cartoon."

You have quite a lot to say, but I thought I'd address just these points for now. First, regarding how you think the general public will react to a Japanese opening (and how it ties into your second paragraph I quoted):

When I went through both middle and high school, it was during the huge anime boom of the early 2000s. Most, if not ALL of my classmates were familiar with both anime and manga in some form. Having it on Toonami and the WB helped strengthen the notion that there were anime for people my age, and not all of it was squicky hentai. As a matter of fact, *MOST* of what we were exposed to was not related at all to that outdated notion of "oh, anime = porn". So there is has been a cultural shift that has de-stigmatized the idea of watching anime, at least to some extent.

Second, the "sexual females" you mention. There is not a single female character in the first opening that is sexualized--unless you count recognizing that, yes, women have breasts (fully-clothed and reasonably proportioned) as being sexual. Which it's not, that's just Anatomy 101. Razz

Third, the ever-present "It's just a cartoon" idea. Since this show will air on Toonami on the bleeding Cartoon Network, I'd say the viewers have a general idea of what they're getting into. Moreover, I'd say the ridiculously widespread appeal of The Last Airbender, being anime-esque AND a cartoon, has at least in some part debunked the idea that cartoon automatically means "childish". That's not to say that everyone has stopped thinking that, but I think the far-reaching demographics of The Last Airbender, coupled with it's still on-going popularity with The Legend of Korra has helped refute that idea.

bs3311 wrote:

Do both of you mean to say that none of you got scolded or even bullied around like most anime fans have from people that see this medium as a, "errotic", "stupid", "gay", or "retarded" hobby? To each his/her own experience, but nearly every forum or blog I see. There are alot with backstory on being bullied while in the fandom.

Lastly, your mention of being bullied for being an anime fan. I can only speak for myself, but I grew up in a neighborhood that was well-off, with a fairly well-funded high and middle school. And because *everyone* was in on the anime craze, no one got teased for watching or reading it. If anything, saying you had never read or watched anime got you more stares. So no, I was never bullied about it. Nowadays, that fervor has obviously cooled off, but saying you like anime in public might net you a few odd looks (I'm guessing they all think I'm still watching basic staples like Yu-Gi-Oh and Naruto, not knowing that other, more complex stuff is out there), but certainly nothing in the realm of bullying.

Having said that, I have met a few people who were singled out for liking anime. By and large, they seemed to come from either very fashionable cities (where the anime boom was dropped once it became passe) or very, very small, tightly-knit communities where deviations from accepted social norms and/or hobbies basically plastered a "I'm different!" target on your forehead. (And yes, these are gross generalizations, but again, this is only speaking to my own personal experiences and the people I've met. I'm sure this can happen elsewhere.)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
I have taught middle or high school for most of the past 18 years. Anime is still fairly popular amongst high school students, enough so that most students either like it or, at worst, are indifferent to it. My experience over the past decade has been that, in the rare cases where kids get bullied over anime/manga, the interest in anime/manga is typically the least of the reasons why they are actually getting bullied. (Mileage will, of course, vary depending on what kind of community you live in.)

bs3311 wrote:
Oh really? Would'nt my concept have to have started from watching other shows though, ala; inspiration? Like One Piece, FMAB, From the New World, Berserk, Slayers, Guin Saga, etc. AoT is inspired but with lack there off of being unique in an overall medium IMO. In an anime, yes. Others, no. Why would you want to just watch another shonen show pulling heart strings instead of a show with logic and strong character development while pulling heart strings?

Some of this paragraph simply makes no sense. And why would an adventure concept like you've described automatically have more logic and strong character development? Besides, there's hardly anything that illogical that we've seen so far that can't be attributed to "we don't have enough information yet."

Also consider this: using the 3D Maneuvering Gear - which is one of the series' feature elements - can only really be done in a forest with large, well-spaced trees or an urban setting which features lots of multi-story buildings. Taking a pure adventure approach to the story would have dramatically limited the use of that element; remember how much of a disadvantage the humans were at (beyond their normal disadvantage, naturally) when they got out in the open country.

I have actual work I need to get done today, so I'll pass on responding to the rest, other than to say that your response to my comments about being prejudicial entirely ignores the most prejudicial element in your previous statement, which was your rant about current American musical interests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
*MOST* of what we were exposed to was not related at all to that outdated notion of "oh, anime = porn". So there is has been a cultural shift that has de-stigmatized the idea of watching anime, at least to some extent.

Don't worry, this is not me debating on this to a severe degree. But I was in the generation of anime fandom around 2006. Though I was born in 1995, I just viewed anime as regular cartoons as a kid. Until said year. I was in the 8th grade when I got into the fandom. Were everyone in my school, basically viewed it as softcore material. Only nerds, like myself during the time were able to look past that. Compared to all the people that were into live action dramas or super hero cartoons and comedy.

Quote:
Second, the "sexual females" you mention. There is not a single female character in the first opening that is sexualized--unless you count recognizing that, yes, women have breasts (fully-clothed and reasonably proportioned) as being sexual. Which it's not, that's just Anatomy 101. Razz

Your logic rings true, but those said people will just fight back with more nonsense ideas in why they find it funny.. Negating our well grounded logic.

And you know that you an I were lookin at Mikasa and Annie funny in how damn sexy there facial designs are! Laughing

Quote:
Third, the ever-present "It's just a cartoon" idea. Since this show will air on Toonami on the bleeding Cartoon Network, I'd say the viewers have a general idea of what they're getting into. Moreover, I'd say the ridiculously widespread appeal of The Last Airbender, being anime-esque AND a cartoon, has at least in some part debunked the idea that cartoon automatically means "childish". That's not to say that everyone has stopped thinking that, but I think the far-reaching demographics of The Last Airbender, coupled with it's still on-going popularity with The Legend of Korra has helped refute that idea.

Anyone else besides the Nostalgia Critic who viewed those shows much more than a regular cartoon? I mean, from my view of the boom. It seemed to not shake that mold from the minds of the adults. The far reaching demographics seemed to reach tweens and teens IMO.

But I want the goal of AoT to be the ability to reach and change the views of the regular everyday american. From highschoolers that were unkown to anime or hated it with a passion to veiw it as a kickass medium.

(ex: My younger sister who is a straight A+ major student, a Sportastic little brother, or a Brony brother.)

To all class working adults that lived in the world of disney animation with the opinion that ALL animation should be for children. Into a view that its okay for everyone along with there tastes.

(ex: A bible thumping christian, a physical labor drunkard, or a novelist)

Key wrote:
Anime is still fairly popular amongst high school students, enough so that most students either like it or, at worst, are indifferent to it.

I mistyped what I meant, I was reffering to popularity as in likability to Anime. Will AoT have those people who dislike anime to like it? Or change peoples views from it as something not there likeing to somthing they love?

Quote:
And why would an adventure concept like you've described automatically have more logic and strong character development?Besides, there's hardly anything that illogical that we've seen so far that can't be attributed to "we don't have enough information yet."

The logical thing is to learn more about the titans. By finding where they are, where they come from, and why do they come here. So the solution IMO is to explore much farther than mankind has surveyed. The first episode about the survey corps being overemotional about a hand did not cancel out the possability. spoiler[And I did like the concept of them capturing some titans for experiments, but its within the area of the titan shifters, leaving that option to be unresourcefull]. With the characters out in the wilderness outside the walls, they would have to fend off titans while learning other ways to survive. While in the long run, having to stick togethor. There would be no character reactions that Jean has because they have to fend for eachother, expanding the concept of Unity against a powerful threat. Plus with the characters togethor, it results into interaction with eachother. Be in physical or verball conversation. Most of the characters shown in the series had little to no development in the season.

Quote:
Also consider this: using the 3D Maneuvering Gear - which is one of the series' feature elements - can only really be done in a forest with large, well-spaced trees or an urban setting which features lots of multi-story buildings. Taking a pure adventure approach to the story would have dramatically limited the use of that element; remember how much of a disadvantage the humans were at (beyond their normal disadvantage, naturally) when they got out in the open country.

The open country was mostly around the 2nd outer area of Wall Rose. Plus that makes the feature elements all the more interesting with other possabilities on how to use the 3D MG. Like with the characters having to traverse mountain area's, or even fishing lol.

Quote:
I have actual work I need to get done today, so I'll pass on responding to the rest, other than to say that your response to my comments about being prejudicial entirely ignores the most prejudicial element in your previous statement, which was your rant about current American musical interests.

Same here. I have been commenting before and during my work hours. And I can be okay leaving my view of American musical interests being the only prejudice statement.
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(bs3311): Do both of you mean to say that none of you got scolded or even bullied around like most anime fans have from people that see this medium as a, "errotic", "stupid", "gay", or "retarded" hobby? To each his/her own experience, but nearly every forum or blog I see. There are alot with backstory on being bullied while in the fandom.

As to this point, I'm old enough that I got teased, scolded, and bullied for reading that silly stuff escapist garbage called SciFi (indeed, for even just reading at all, being a "bookworm" was not well regarded by my peers back then). Since my childhood of ridicule for it I have watched it go from being a form of literature dismissed, denigrated and demeaned by nearly all from my peers to adults and teachers to being considered the literature of ideas and becoming one of the more respectable forms of literature, so I am well aware of how these things change. As for understanding being bullied more generally, on that score I defer to no one, but I fail to see the relevance to the argument being made here. Of course every niche/hobby group has its detractors and there are always those who see themselves as the arbiters of the mainstream and what is fashionable/acceptable who look down upon them, but so what?

And for those of us in fandom who need to go to Cons to find people like ourselves (which is what we did before the explosion of the internet, again, something I am old enough to remember first hand) who have not found ourselves able to fit in well with society and been bullied/harrassed for it, well most of us learned to deal with it as we aged and chose to accept who we are and to hell with the rest as need be. For those that didn't of course life continues to be a bullied existence, but one of the dirty little secrets of the reality of being bullied is that to a certain extent you agree to being the victim of it (and don't give me any of this I don't get it, or how dare you crap, I guarantee you there are few people around in NA that could match my history in this regard, and it can be easier to let yourself be hurt than to stand on your own feet, if only in your own mind, a lesson I had a hard time learning for myself) because it is as much about a mindset as it is everything else.

In any event, that is going far afield, and it doesn't exactly do much to help your argument. Most people have hobbies that they are sensitive about how others perceive, it is far from limited to we anime/manga/SF&F fans, I've known more than a few golf fans for example who can relate similar "bullying" for their interest as you described here for the anime fan. The original point was that your assertion that the OP for AoT would not go over well in the NA marketplace and be seen as you characterized. Key disagreed, and I agreed with Key, and you came back with the part about how we don't understand about being bullied for our interests as anime fans. Seriously, I fail to understand this argument you are presenting. In any event I have taken this as far as I feel I need to go with it, and I am certainly not going to get into a ritual ego beating contest about who was more bullied with anyone, my sense of self worth long passed that need, I only went as far as I did to undercut your argument and to show that I have more than some first hand experience with such and therefore am not being dismissive out of ignorance. Yes, many of us have been bullied, so how does that make your assertion about whether the OP of AoT has a chance of being well received? To connect the two the way you did comes off a fallacy to me, and I suspect Key and others as well.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Bluenoser wrote:
In any event, that is going far afield, and it doesn't exactly do much to help your argument. Most people have hobbies that they are sensitive about how others perceive, it is far from limited to we anime/manga/SF&F fans, I've known more than a few golf fans for example who can relate similar "bullying" for their interest as you described here for the anime fan. The original point was that your assertion that the OP for AoT would not go over well in the NA marketplace and be seen as you characterized. Key disagreed, and I agreed with Key, and you came back with the part about how we don't understand about being bullied for our interests as anime fans. Seriously, I fail to understand this argument you are presenting. In any event I have taken this as far as I feel I need to go with it, and I am certainly not going to get into a ritual ego beating contest about who was more bullied with anyone, my sense of self worth long passed that need, I only went as far as I did to undercut your argument and to show that I have more than some first hand experience with such and therefore am not being dismissive out of ignorance. Yes, many of us have been bullied, so how does that make your assertion about whether the OP of AoT has a chance of being well received? To connect the two the way you did comes off a fallacy to me, and I suspect Key and others as well.

Because they are a group of people that disliked the medium, what else? And from stuff on the News, or mainstream blogs. They are considered a geeky format with the general public thinking of them as stupid entertainment that they can't follow. Sci-Fi still has negative views, while being considered geeky. Its not the literature of ideas, but in literature of storytelling. But there are more than one. Those Star Trek movies revolved less on sci-fi jumbo, but with more aspects on action via special effects in space or fight scenes. Now AoT has action, but it is story driven in a negative way. spoiler[And the titan shifting aspects can leave a Sci-Fi taste in the viewers mouth]

And when did I say I was a victim during the times I have been bullied? I fully resented being bullied by stating my points. And sometimes, I just chuckled from the sight of it.

Your points keep bringing up that a show like AoT will be welcomed in open arms when the relaity is that Anime is a niche medium still for negative reasons that the public seems to view. Looking in classrooms or TV listings is not the only place to look. And I looked beyond that, to the crowd.

Your statement of my points having flallacies is really disgusting to me when you youself are bringing fallacy to the board. Saying that you have first hand experience does not change or trounce my view when I myself have first hand experience too.

You already admitted you have been scolded for your views and interests, which anime has recieved as well. So my point was clearly saying that anime is still perceived as a negative or ingored view in mainstream audiences. Unless for something like the 2 South Park anime targetting episodes, or if someone Robin Williams starts preaching that this is going to be a cool show like NGE or GITS.

The opening is just an opening. It canot stand on its own without the show. It does not advertise the show alone. Your points are sounding like I should remove the opening all togethor, when I said a better idea would be to have an instrumental opening to it. Or even sing over it like DBZ kai. Seeing and hearing go hand in hand. They could see a well animated opening, but hear a language they don't know. From looking long and hard, they can realize it is a anime. A medium with a negative outlook for being nerdy with weird tastes.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
I think there's a misunderstanding in how Key and bs3311 interpret something being "mainstream". If I understand this correctly, bs3311 thinks that "reaching mainstream" means reaching those who wouldn't even dream of watching anime, beyond demographics, age ranges, etc. Key (I think) means that AoT could have the same impact Last Airbender could; widespread appeal, but limited mostly to anywhere from tweens to college-age (or even into the early 30s, if I'm being generous and including the "average" gamer age into the mix). Probably not to the ridiculous heights, of, say, Pokemon, but a respectable demographic range, to be sure.

Personally, I think there's been enough of a cultural shift with the anime boom, and consequently, a widespread acceptance of anime as "a thing that people watch" as opposed to "a creepy thing that people watch" that I can't see the full OP of AoT really hindering that appeal in any significant way. Even if the language is foreign, AoT's OP has such a blood-pounding, heart-thumping feel to it that I'd be pretty impressed if people weren't at least intrigued by the grandiosity of the score coupled by the weird and unusual imagery of the Titans and them terrorizing people.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Even if the language is foreign, AoT's OP has such a blood-pounding, heart-thumping feel to it that I'd be pretty impressed if people weren't at least intrigued by the grandiosity of the score coupled by the weird and unusual imagery of the Titans and them terrorizing people.

Exactly! Whether I could understand the lyrics or not (and Crunchyroll's streams don't translate OP/ED lyrics), "this is something worth checking out" was my initial reaction to first seeing the OP. There's not a shred of doubt in my mind that many others will have that kind of a reaction when this first airs on Toonami. Its ability to sell the show IMO transcends language barriers, and it's one of the best OPs in many years in that regard; I'd put it up there with Black Lagoon's "Red Fraction."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7