• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna Loses Appeal of Defamation Case, Faces More Attorney's Fees

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
Excoman wrote:
So, is he guilty, or innocent?

On this site users hate him (not me, I have no reason to hate a person that never interacted with me in my life, regardless of what they done somewhere else), but on others many people believe in him.

Not to be that person, but it sounds like you have an interest in him but haven't read anything outside of social media posts. But even in this case, most people who "hate him" aren't that way put of jealousy, malice, or for fun. I do think it's incredibly naive to think that one voice actor is being pushed out of the industry just because they felt like it one day.

I feel like some of his fans support him in the same way MAGA fans support Trump. That denial is one hell of a drug.

Outside of social media trending topics, if you haven't followed any of the documented information on record (depositions, interviews, etc) then I think you shouldn't have us give you that conclusion. You're very new to this forum but the situation with Vic is not new to most people.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:43 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
CelestialEmpress wrote:
Yeah, this. I've never had any contact with him directly, but I have multiple friends in different social circles who've never met and yet have similar stories about him being overly touchy with them and other girls at cons, going back years before this all blew up. What, do his fans just think tons of unrelated people have been working together for over a decade to plant these seeds in advance, so that one day Jamie and Monica could blow their Evil Feminist Dog Whistles and destroy an innocent man's career for fun? Is it really so hard to believe that this dude who voiced some cartoon characters you like might actually not be a bright and shining beacon of moral perfection?

That's what always gets me. If it was just one or two testimonies the defenders would at least make some sort of sense, but with so many unrelated people giving testimonies ranging decades how do you still try and claim it's all just evil cancel culture to destroy his life?

And besides, apparently he'd been under investigation by ADV and other companies in the 2000s. This isn't something that popped up out of nowhere in 2019.

For real. Back when I still scurried around on 4chan his creepy shit was always a topic on /clg/, the cosplay and convention board. It was an open secret then and that was easily 15 years ago.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:09 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
This whole affair is a bunch of goddamn bullshit-give it a rest already!!

You don't have to agree with ANN's decision to report news on this case, but no one's forcing to to read the articles or come to the forum threads about them. And if you'd actually read the thread before making your usual empty-calorie "I don't care about this" posting, you might have seen this:

Tempest wrote:
The original lawsuit was filed and then thrown out of court back in 2019.
The lawsuit itself was never heard in court. It was thrown out under Texas' anti-SLAPP laws. The defendants were awarded numerous amounts that Mignogna had to pay them (typically when lawsuits are thrown out under anti-slapp statutes, the party that filed the lawsuit has to pay the defendants' legal fees, possibly some damages, and possibly a penalty to the court).
Mignogna appealed the decision to throw out the lawsuit, as well as the amounts awarded to the defendants. That appeal is what was just settled in 2022.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Excoman wrote:
On this site users hate him (not me, I have no reason to hate a person that never interacted with me in my life, regardless of what they done somewhere else), but on others many people believe in him.
I can only speak for myself, but I do not hate Vic. I'm very indifferent to him, both as an actor and as a person.

But I really can not stand his die hard fans. The people who consume an endless amount of blatantly biassed videos on him, by people like Hero Hei, the ones with clickbait titles like "Big WIN for VIC, KICKVIC in full MELTDOWN", and then get angry and nasty at any news reports on the case that just present the evidence without taking a side, because that is apparently biased and attacking Vic.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I looked back at ol' Bennett The Sage's Junk Boy review (good times) and there was an awkward little segment where Vic Mignogna shows up and starts bragging about how he can make any line work, only for Sage to get fed up with his arrogance and kill him.

It makes me wonder, if fans and youtubers knew about his behavior for this long, how has the industry let it slide?

I have a lot of friends on the "Vic is innocent" bandwagon and many more who don't care one way or the other, so watching anime where he plays a prominent role hasn't been too awkward for me, but thinking back, isn't this the first time we've had a major scandal like this? In terms of English dub voice actors, we've had some who were outed for pedophilia and sexual misconduct, but never one as prolific as Vic.
ParallaxSolution

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I looked back at ol' Bennett The Sage's Junk Boy review (good times) and there was an awkward little segment where Vic Mignogna shows up and starts bragging about how he can make any line work, only for Sage to get fed up with his arrogance and kill him.

It makes me wonder, if fans and youtubers knew about his behavior for this long, how has the industry let it slide?

From what I've gathered, a lot of what he was doing falls into the "open secret" camp where most people were kind of skeeved out by him but the full aggregate of his behavior was not fully put together- and many of his infractions in isolation weren't bad enough to justify cutting him off entirely, at least until the floodgates opened. He used to be a big deal at conventions, I imagine it would take a lot to justify axing him as a guest.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:08 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

I have a lot of friends on the "Vic is innocent" bandwagon and many more who don't care one way or the other, so watching anime where he plays a prominent role hasn't been too awkward for me, but thinking back, isn't this the first time we've had a major scandal like this? In terms of English dub voice actors, we've had some who were outed for pedophilia and sexual misconduct, but never one as prolific as Vic.

Vic's issue is not unique to just the anime world. Plenty of terrible, piece of crap people do horrendous things and have gone on with their lives with little to no consequences. Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, R. Kelly. They did their evil deeds for decades and only recently were they held accountable. Dirt bags like Ezra Miller, who has choked and assaulted multiple women, gets away with it, because either the people who hire him, don't care, or they don't bother to look into their history. Roman Polanski, who rapped a 13 year old, not only is a fugitive(he was convicted but fled the country), he got to be awarded an oscar, and get a standing ovation by tons of dirt bags in the audience (Harvey Weinstein being the biggest one).
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:23 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Vic Mignogna appeared in lots of 2000s era internet culture from Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series to That Guy With The Glasses skits. He was also the guy behind the famous 2009 Sakuracon video. The industry didn't "let it slide" so much as it wasn't seen as a bad thing back then. Remember, the internet and entertainment industry was a lot different before modern times. I don't know all of what Vic was accused of, but back then conventions were very wild. Travis Willingham was known for similar behavior with his Miniskirt Army who would often wage war against Mignogna's Resembool Rangers. It was common for VAs to have rabid little fandoms and do all kinds of crazy stuff at cons.

And much like if you go back and watch Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged and you notice LittleKuriboh has plastered tons of warnings and statements saying he's since disavowed and does not want to be associated with the first 50-odd episodes of the series because they contain tons of jokes and humor and comments that while perfectly acceptable back then are no longer politically correct now,. The main issue as it appears to me is Vic seemed to still do things like it was the early 2000s and that ended up not working out well for him in modern times when things caught up to him. My brother-in-law worked with a lot of music bands in the 80s and 90s touring around with them. The stories he told about the things that went on backstage with female fans getting to meet their favorite band is probably much raunchier than whatever these VAs were getting back back in the day, but I have no reason to think convention guests and industry people weren't messing around with fans back in the day to some degree because that was the norm and people accepted it. As much as some people may not want to admit it, it was less the industry 'letting it slide' and more of them saying they didn't see it as an issue because it was the norm. Sean Schemmel doing He-Man & The Homos of the Universe was seen as funny and hilarious in the 2000s. Today, he profusely apologizes for it every time someone brings it up to him. Times change.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:00 pm Reply with quote
That's why Sage's Junk Boy review confused me for the longest time. He seemed to be making fun of Vic and playing him up to be a psychotic narcissistic. I guess now I see why, but if he was such a beloved figure on TGWTG, who was that joke meant for at the time? Then again, Sage tends to make fun of Kyle Hebert in ways that I don't get to this day.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Another thing to add is that anime has grown a lot in the past decade or so. A lot of cons and such were willing to deal with Vic's behavior back in the day because he was a celebrity in the fandom and generated a lot of ticket sales at a time when anime cons weren't filling up like they can today. While he was obviously still popular when KickVic started, he was no longer important to keep around.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:39 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

In the 00s, part of it was that they needed the talent. Remember that it wasn't until Full-Metal Alchemist came out that Vic became a household name as a VA; before then, he did plenty of bit-parts in anime. So many dubs were being made that studios needed every bit of talent that they could get their hands on, and Vic had the distinction of at least being someone they could reliably get into the studio on-time. Maybe he wasn't the best VA (and he wasn't, IMO), but he could reliably crank out a B- performance for a dub. And when everyone is making that many dubs, sometimes you just need a B- for a background character--case in point, Young President from the Cultural Catgirl Nuku-Nuku dubs.

But as for Vic sticking around as long as he did? It's the old "Missing Staircase" problem. Sometimes, nobody wants to be the person to start drama and point out that everyone has to keep walking over the missing staircase and maybe someone ought to take care of it before they fall flat on their face. I'm with you, given how much of a pest Vic had made himself out to be with a lot of his peers he should have been ousted a long time ago (very few people had nice things to say about him as time went on, and as many have attested to a lot of conventions went on to ban him). But sometimes you need someone to give you a swift kick in the pants to make you realize, "Hey, yeah, maybe I should replace the missing stair in the basement before someone breaks their nose."

A lot of pressure is put onto a lot of people to "not rock the boat". And as the whole ordeal with Vic has demonstrated, being the person to raise the flag paints a target on you from a lot of the worst folks on the Internet. For a lot of the individual cosplayers, con handlers, volunteers and the sort who had stuff they could step forward with, it was a lot to ask of them without potentially putting them through biblical amounts of garbage.

Either way: couldn't have happened to a more deserving sham of a man. If he had any decency, he'd quit while he was ahead.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
You know, professionally, the earliest point that Vic should've run into trouble was ironically the FMA 03 dub. Allegedly, he asked the writers to tone down the script so that Ed wouldn't have to outright proclaim his atheism due to Vic's own beliefs. The instant he refused to play the character straight should've been the instant they got someone else. Ironically, this turned out to be his most iconic role and the one that he'd never be replaced for.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:14 pm Reply with quote
TBH, this unwaveringly loyalty to Vic that these Vic stans have feels like a cult at times.
PandaXs1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Vic Mignogna appeared in lots of 2000s era internet culture from Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series to That Guy With The Glasses skits. He was also the guy behind the famous 2009 Sakuracon video. The industry didn't "let it slide" so much as it wasn't seen as a bad thing back then. Remember, the internet and entertainment industry was a lot different before modern times. I don't know all of what Vic was accused of, but back then conventions were very wild. Travis Willingham was known for similar behavior with his Miniskirt Army who would often wage war against Mignogna's Resembool Rangers. It was common for VAs to have rabid little fandoms and do all kinds of crazy stuff at cons.

And much like if you go back and watch Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged and you notice LittleKuriboh has plastered tons of warnings and statements saying he's since disavowed and does not want to be associated with the first 50-odd episodes of the series because they contain tons of jokes and humor and comments that while perfectly acceptable back then are no longer politically correct now,. The main issue as it appears to me is Vic seemed to still do things like it was the early 2000s and that ended up not working out well for him in modern times when things caught up to him. My brother-in-law worked with a lot of music bands in the 80s and 90s touring around with them. The stories he told about the things that went on backstage with female fans getting to meet their favorite band is probably much raunchier than whatever these VAs were getting back back in the day, but I have no reason to think convention guests and industry people weren't messing around with fans back in the day to some degree because that was the norm and people accepted it. As much as some people may not want to admit it, it was less the industry 'letting it slide' and more of them saying they didn't see it as an issue because it was the norm. Sean Schemmel doing He-Man & The Homos of the Universe was seen as funny and hilarious in the 2000s. Today, he profusely apologizes for it every time someone brings it up to him. Times change.

no no no, it's not as simple as "times have changed". sure, today we are indeed more willing to listen to victims of sexual harassment and assault (y'know without needing 4k security camera footage and a written confession). but even back then the rumors surrounding Vic were plentiful. the industry may have let it slide, but that has more to do with his cult of personality and his ability to turn a profit than his behavior being considered "normal". now I'm not gonna say there weren't other rumors about different VAs, but Vic was always on another level. there's a reason he alone has gotten his comeuppance and like not like the entire dubbing industry. hell, if we're to believe some of the stories out there about him, even before he was in anime he was a predatory creep. saying his behavior was ever "normal" doesn't do anyone justice.
PandaXs1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

uh, I actually looked up the segment in question and idk, I think that has less to do with his predatory behavior so much as his status as an anime celebrity and the quality of his voice acting.

like even before his reputation as a predator came to the forefront, people had other issues with him, like bringing his religiosity into his fandom and work ("It's me, godless heathen!"), the fact that he was in his 40's and mostly voicing teenage boys ("I can voice any character, from twelve-year-old boys to thirteen-year-old boys!"), also just having a huge fandom and cult of personality for who even back then people thought was a mediocre voice actor, and also kind of an a*shole (uh I guess I can just quote the entire scene here???).

other things against him was the even less favorable position of anime dubs among Western anime fans at the time, and, well, the fact that so many female anime fans were into him which put him in a less favorable position with male anime fans. I know for a fact that his creepy behavior was known at the time, but this wasn't as prominent as all the other issues people had with him back then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9