• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:30 am Reply with quote
What a shock. Another great mangaka leaves sooner than expected and especially the cause of it. I hope that Toriyama's family and friends can get through this. Thank you impacting our lives with your works that had an effect on the industry. Thank you for contributing to the culture.

Dragon Ball was one of my top 3 favorite series, especially the way I was hooked on it, but as time passed, it didn't really hold up for me. When Kami to Kami released, it felt like the world of DB opened up to grander things due to what was revealed in the movie and I was excited. The story direction after that movie to Super Hero has been disappointing to me (not saying there hasn't been any good things). Immediately after opening a can of worms, an old character that had already been defeated twice returns. Reusing old material (whether canon or non canon), you could get away with in the original serialization, but around 20 years after in a new sequel movie/series is something I have an issue with. The majority of the DB fanbase on the other hand eat it up without questioning it. I was so disappointed in that decision that I had no interest in watching it because that was a waste of time (we've already seen it) when he could have made a new character to move the plot. The biggest offender was the Broly movie. If you cared about story progression and character development, you would be sick at the things that happened in that movie. Then we're at this point in the story that's close to the end of the original manga and time is being wasted on a spoiler[noob]. Point is continuing the story long after the main manga ended is not always a good idea. You get older and your storytelling ideas aren't the best like they were back when you were working on a weekly manga. I thank Toriyama for the memories of the original manga (and by extension the DB/Z anime).

Quote:
and its hero Goku has become a character known throughout the world.

I knew this was going to happen. Instead of using "main character", you did the expected. I hate to do this, but errors need correcting.

Goku is NOT a hero. In late 1996, Toriyama stated this himself regardless of what you see Goku as or what the anime staff or localizers made you think he was.

-----

Wired: There’s actually “poison” inside?

Toriyama: Right. There’s how, basically, Son Goku from Dragon Ball doesn’t fight for the sake of others, but because he wants to fight against strong guys. So once Dragon Ball got animated, at any rate, I’ve always been dissatisfied with the “righteous hero”-type portrayal they gave him. I guess I couldn’t quite get them to grasp the elements of “poison” that slip in and out of sight among the shadows.

Wired: Perhaps that’s because it’s animation aimed at children, after all?

Toriyama: Well, that might be some of it, too.

-----

And it needs to be noted that in episode spoiler[130] of Super, Goku stated (in Japanese, not sure about English localization) to his opponent (spoiler[Jiren]) that he's not a "hero of justice". So even the anime staff changed course on portraying Goku as a hero and stuck close to what Toriyama made him. Even before that in episode spoiler[77], which was the start (or rather prologue) of the arc, the tone of the conversation between Goku and spoiler[Beerus] changed because Goku wouldn't listen (and instead was provoking) to the point that spoiler[Beerus] outright stated Goku is a greater threat to the universe than spoiler[Zeno] and was going to spoiler[hakai] him. That scene showed how toxic Goku could get for the sake of a fight.

Last edited by Rob19ny on Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:31 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda at a loss for words. This is Toriyama. Author of Dragon Ball Z one of the most influential shows out there. And gone at 68.

Rest in peace....
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:46 am Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama and his Dragon Ball were what launched the manga and anime boom on a global level in the 90s. Without him, probably wouldn't even be here, posting about his death.

Rest in peace. Crying or Very sad
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:05 am Reply with quote
I might've greatly disliked the Dragon Ball universe, but there is absolutely no denying how influential Toriyama's work was around the world. The guy knew how to make people like his work.

RIP.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:14 am Reply with quote
The story hit Time, NYT, WAPO, People and THR. https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-sanmu&sca_esv=6ef8d2e1b77b40e3&q=akira+toriyama&tbm=nws&source=lnms&prmd=ivnsmhbtz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjq25zQtuSEAxUu4ckDHYw6DPwQ0pQJegQIChAB Also, Carl Jones, the Boondocks producer, paid tribute to AT on his IG.

Last edited by GATSU on Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Thundercracker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:28 am Reply with quote
Damn... Sad
Kaoru G

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:35 am Reply with quote
My childhood has plenty of fond memories thanks to you Torayama sensei. RIP.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:50 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball is the first shonen anime I watched, and the anime that made me realize I want to draw. Dragon Ball is the anime that helped me further my journey into the anime world.

It is Chrono Trigger that made me fall for JRPG games even more.

To read this news... it's heartbreaking. Rest in peace, Toriyama-sensei.
beyondashadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:09 am Reply with quote
This is extremely hard to process. He was so reclusive, and yet so damn influential throughout the entire industry - and beyond. DBZ was the first tv show I followed religiously as a 9 year old. So many cherished memories to recount.
dbzmike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:18 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace Mr Akira Toriyama. Dragon Ball Z was what got me into anime.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:51 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Apparently, the Chinese government had a statement mourning his passing. This wasn't something that just affected a little bubble of hardcore fans. Everyone was reporting about this. The trade papers, news outlets, (Toriyama's picture and obituary were in the Times morning summary email), and millions of people affected. This is pop culture losing an icon.
Nnigdr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:06 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:12 am Reply with quote
Thank you for everything you've given us, Toriyama-sensei. You were a one-of-a-kind genius who changed manga and anime forever. May you rest in peace.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:18 am Reply with quote
I’m shocked and saddened to hear about Toriyama. Like many, DBZ was my first entry into anime. RIP…
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:30 am Reply with quote
I remember running home after primary school ended to watch DBZ on Toonami. I had no idea what anime was at that time, but I would never have become an anime fan without that experience.

My deepest condolences. The world has lost one of its greatest artists. RIP Toriyama-sensei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9